Rode a K1100LT yesterday . . . YIKES! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Rode a K1100LT yesterday . . . YIKES!

While at Roman Cycle yesterday getting my GT's 12K service, I helped Fred with an issue that a K1100LT was having. Once we thought we had the issue solved, I took the bike out for a 15-mile test ride. Yikes! What a piece of crap. Now, this 1100LT wasn't exactly meticulously taken care of...but all that aside, BMW sure has come along way since then. The K1200LT is light years ahead of the 1100.

Progress. You gotta love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:03 pm
Super Moderator

I know how you feel. San Jose BMW used to have one in their loaner bike fleet several years ago. Again, not the most well cared for machine in the world, but coming off a K12 RS or LT onto that thing was a bit scary! Vibrations, wallowing suspension, mundane power delivery, and my knees were constantly banging into the back edges of the fairing; I had bruises after my first day using it! BMW has come as LONG way from that beast.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I know how you feel. San Jose BMW used to have one in their loaner bike fleet several years ago. Again, not the most well cared for machine in the world, but coming off a K12 RS or LT onto that thing was a bit scary! Vibrations, wallowing suspension, mundane power delivery, and my knees were constantly banging into the back edges of the fairing; I had bruises after my first day using it! BMW has come as LONG way from that beast.
Dude! I think we rode the exact same monster!

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Our household is divided. My bike is a '99 LT, but my better half has 2...count 'em....2 K1100LT's. A '93 and a '95. I agree with you guys that the 1200LT has come lightyears from the 1100. However, if they're well maintained, the 1100's are a great ride. When you keep them in the 4000-5000 rpm range, the power is great...and since it's a WAY lighter bike than the 1200...I think acceleration is actually a little better.

Now, on the other hand...I did ride a 1100LT as a loner from Grand Rapids BMW this summer, and it about shook me to pieces.

Bottom line is I prefer my 1200 and she prefers her 1100, but I agree the 1100 is a fine ride. At least both of hers are. Ya just got to get one in good shape.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Smile

Hey Joe
I bought a well maintained 87 K100RT from Roman's as my intro to BMWs...
No ABS, and talk about chestnuts roasting on an open fire. LOL
Loved the power and smooooth engine though.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in