Alaska Anyone? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 1:52 am Thread Starter

Question Alaska Anyone?

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has driven the Alcan Highway within the last two year on a LT. And/or has used the Alaska Ferry system w/motorcycle. Last time I drove the Alcan Highway was in 1970. That was when it was 1100 + miles of gravel, huge potholes, dust, road ripples and other assorted hazards. Been to Alaska numerous times since on hunting and fishing trips but by airplane. I want to take the LT on a late May early June trip to Alaska by way of the Alcan and possibly return or arrive by the ferry system. I know that the Alcan is entirely paved, already aware of the “Mile Post” book and know what kind of gear I will need.

What I am specifically looking for is firsthand experience on the following:
  • Paved in that part of the country can mean many different things. From anyone who has recently driven the Alcan, is the LT fit for the trip? I know it can be done but I would prefer not trashing the LT in the process.
  • When using the ferry system how did they secure the LT during the voyage? Any do’s or don’t that I should be aware of? Anything I should bring along with me to help protect/secure the LT during the transport that the ship may not have?
  • Did you camp while on the Alcan or did you stay at any lodges that are worth mentioning? Wife will be with me, neither of us is opposed to camping but a warm bed with a hot shower nearby is always nice to look forward to at the end of the day.
May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 2:30 pm

I sent you a PM
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 5:03 pm

I am going in last two weeks on June and the first week in July. I let you know.

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 7:37 pm

alaska hwy

i did the alaska trip 2 summers ago alone on an 03 HD road glide.....planning on doing it again this summer on an as yet to be purchased LT.....left san diego, ended in fairbanks and returned home......first off, the entire trip is doable on any bike, big touring bike or dual purpose.....the entire section of ALCAN is paved excpept for areas under repair, which totalled about 200 or so miles on the entire trip.....most was 60 mph gravel, hardpacked, but some was both feet down and very slow.....but easy on any size bike.....i ended the trip with not one scratch, ding or mark on the bike......

i broke the trip up by riding to belliingham, washington and getting the ferry to skagway, ak......then rode all the way back....this worked for me as i got to see alot of the inland passage as well.....plus, it broke up the trip...for me, it worked......

the alaska ferry system is great...very helpful crew and great accomodations....i got a cabin in lieu of camping on deck, which they make arrangements for.... you tie down your own bike, 4 tie downs and you are set.....they make arrangements for you to go down to the car deck 2-3 times a day and check on your bike/car or retireve things....

i did not camp at all, the motels were spaced well as was the gas/food..some of the accomodations were poor, some great....just no way to know unless you have been that way before.....the problem up there is that if you get to a place at the end of your riding day and it is marginal for your tastes, the next one might be 100 miles down the road....i just rolled with the situation and it worked.....camping facilities are everywhere and convenient.....

the people are great, the country is unequaled anywhere and the trip is not as hard as i had thought it might be.....i have alot more info if you would like on some of the specifics too lenghty to go into here.......
post #5 of 14 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 10:49 pm

Go here this guy has a great story... http://clarkejohn.com/page1map.htm

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 11:07 pm

I wrote what I think a good report on my trip in 2005 on my LT here:

http://www.viajareua.com/alaskaCanada.html

it's about 15 pages with comments and photos.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 9:40 am
jrh

Alaska ride

We went to Alaska last July via the Alcan to Whitehorse-Dawson City-thru Chicken to Fairbanks- Anchorage-Valdez-Haynes-boarded a ferry to Prince Rupert-Montana.
The Alcan was fine, the road through Chicken was gravel and posed a few problems. From Anchorage to the Alcan was under repair and was a bit difficult.
There were 3 Bikes, riding 2 up, pulling trailers (two wings & my LT). It was an excellent trip.
jrh
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
I wrote what I think a good report on my trip in 2005 on my LT here:

http://www.viajareua.com/alaskaCanada.html

it's about 15 pages with comments and photos.
Excellent job Elton......I really enjoyed your text and photos.

Bruce Hodges
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:17 am Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks everyone for the information, including those that e:mailed me. The wife is doing a lot of research on her own and lobbying for taking the SUV. She's been to Alaska and knows how quickly the weather can turn and how bad the mosquito's can get. We have allotted 6 to 8 weeks to the trip so she is pushing hard for extra cloths, camping gear, fishing gear and more comfort that a SUV would provide. We have a few months to convince each other of the best method to travel.

For those of us who have been to Homer, Alaska we can actually say we have been to the end of the road. Homer's town motto is: Where the road ends and the adventure begins.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #10 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:47 am
IBR# 366

Garage
You could take the SUV with the LT on a trailer. When it's nasty outside drive, when it's nice, ride then make her drive.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oknplm
For those of us who have been to Homer, Alaska we can actually say we have been to the end of the road. Homer's town motto is: Where the road ends and the adventure begins.

oknplm
I've been up twice, once on the LT and once on GS: Alcan, Cassiar, Top of the World, Dalton, etc. A pair of soft ties would expedite the tie down on a ferry without much bulk.

Some of the construction area aren't much fun on any two wheeler, but I didn't ride anything on either trip that the LT wouldn't have handled, except in Homer where to get to the real end of the road you travel out the East End Road. I started down the last section of East End Road on the GS and quickly realized I was in deep yogurt. After managing to reverse course on the steep, narrow, loose, and rocky trail, I got to the top, and saw this warning sign I missed on the way down. It's obscured by graffiti, but warns the switchback trail is restricted to horses, atv's, and pedestrians. True.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sv400172.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	8402  

Motor On ,/'

post #12 of 14 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Alaska Highway

I Just Made The Trip From Central Calif In July 06. This Was The Trip Of My Life, Just Beautiful.there Is Some Unpaved Road In The Yukon Territory.and There Are Frost Heaves In The Road By Tok Alaska.the Remainder Of Paved Roads In Alaska Are Fine. We Took The Ferry Home From Haines Al To Bellingham Wa With No Problems. You Have To Secure Your Bike So Take Some Rope And Tie Downs.ill Definitly Do The Tpip Again
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 9:00 am

Quote:

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
My wife's cousins live in Homer (up on the hill overlooking town) and we spent two weeks in the area playing on KLRs and 4 wheelers. If you're in the area, you'll notice two distinct black marks that look like tire burnouts that run parrallel all the way up the Kenai peninsula to Anchorage airport.... those are my boot marks as my wife literally had to drag me back to make me come back to the lower 48.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 9:19 pm

Quote:
I am interested in hearing from anyone who has driven the Alcan Highway within the last two year on a LT. And/or has used the Alaska Ferry system w/motorcycle. Last time I drove the Alcan Highway was in 1970. That was when it was 1100 + miles of gravel, huge potholes, dust, road ripples and other assorted hazards. Been to Alaska numerous times since on hunting and fishing trips but by airplane. I want to take the LT on a late May early June trip to Alaska by way of the Alcan and possibly return or arrive by the ferry system. I know that the Alcan is entirely paved, already aware of the “Mile Post” book and know what kind of gear I will need.

What I am specifically looking for is firsthand experience on the following:
  • Paved in that part of the country can mean many different things. From anyone who has recently driven the Alcan, is the LT fit for the trip? I know it can be done but I would prefer not trashing the LT in the process.
  • When using the ferry system how did they secure the LT during the voyage? Any do’s or don’t that I should be aware of? Anything I should bring along with me to help protect/secure the LT during the transport that the ship may not have?
  • Did you camp while on the Alcan or did you stay at any lodges that are worth mentioning? Wife will be with me, neither of us is opposed to camping but a warm bed with a hot shower nearby is always nice to look forward to at the end of the day.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
The Alcan is well suited for the LT. I did the Cassiar this summer on the GS and while I did encounter some gravel, I could have ridden the LT even on the Cassiar.

You won't be far from gas stations on the Alcan, nor lodging, although camping is the way to enjoy the trip iyam.

I did the ferry from Whittier to Juneau to Bellingham. They had great tie downs on the Whittier/Juneau route, but lousy tie downs on the Juneau/Bellingham route. Bring your own tie downs and soft wraps - I had so/so tie downs and could have made do if I had to, but I ended up using rope scavanged from the ferry on the Bellingham route. The guys on the ferry were no help - their first option was to hand me a bunch of chains - as in the kind you use to lock a truck to the deck. Uhhhh... no. The second option was to give me a spool of twine. Uhhhh... no. I had to go in the supply locker and basically steal a bunch of 3/8" fiber rope. I'd have brought plenty of tie downs if I had thought the ferry might not have some.

FWIW. Enjoy the trip, take lots of pictures.

My trip details here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155544

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in