Int'l motorcycle show, Ft. Worth...and Concours Info - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 12:24 am Thread Starter

Int'l motorcycle show, Ft. Worth...and Concours Info

I'll post pics tomorrow, but had some face time with the kawi rep today at the Ft. Worth international motorcycle show. I was told the non-abs concours would likely sticker "about the same as the FJR" I replied "so about $13?" and he silently nodded his head. I said "so with abs a little less than 15?" and he silently nodded his head again.

He said orders can be placed in January, which is when the rest of the specs and the official price will be released to dealers...but he DID say that they were told that they are NOT going to de-tune the ZX-14 engine being put in it...that's 114 foot/pounds and 190 flywheel hp to you and me...but tuned for more low- and mid-range anger, rather than just top end like the ZX...

MY deposit for a black one goes in Jan 2...

A couple nifty things on the bike to mention (and yes, it's behind bars, with the left/low side facing the audience because the right side was damaged when it got dumped at the first unveiling). One, the "flash to pass" switch is a literal left grip finger trigger on the front wheel side of the handgrip, pretty trick. Second, the shaft drive looks VERY beefy. Third, the mirrors FOLD to the sides, rather than "break away." Fourth, you can easily see the oil filter, reachable by hand from the front...in other words, no need to remove any tupperware or anything to change the oil. Fifth, and look for the pics, friends, the "wraparound windscreen" looks pretty damn neat, if it functions like it should, it'll be pretty groundbreaking in how windscreens are made from now on.

No word from anyone wearing kawi gear on how soon (or if it already is ready for the shelves) a top trunk will be ready, the passenger seat looks heavily padded, I snuck a jump up on the stage and a press on the pad, and it seemed very soft and fully padded, but it's no LT seat, and the thing sports a 180-MPH SPEEDO!!! I think this one might just make that, actually.

And yes, wave rotors, a curved radiator, ram-air, looks kick-ass, for under 15K...cmon January for full specs.

I sat on the FJR for the first time...the local Yamaha dealers near Dallas won't even let you do THAT, and decided I really don't like it, with my inseam, even with the seat on it's highest, and the bars adjusted, my knees would never survive,,,and the way the seat is shaped and the end of the tank, the first time I had an emergency braking situation, I'd have to look at the classified ads under "Eunich." Of course, I felt the same way, sitting on the BMW GT, I now understand a few trusted friends who say that bike is great except the seats on it suck...

The LT for '07 comes in a GORGEOUS dark blue, with adjustable (up and down), massive passenger floorboards that were very nice, and a darker bottom color shade of grey (looks great and is a smart idea--hides the dirt, too). The double-lighting front end (upper for low beams, separate lower light for high, looks pretty cool, i wish they had a conversion kit. The backrest for passengers is totally different than for the '04 I own, looks 100% more comfortable...but since I never ride on back, doesn't matter (lol).

What I DID fall in love with was the new black, blue and silver color scheme on the k1200s...complete with royal blue wheels. I took about fifty pics (again, will post tomorrow in some fashion...most likely as a link) and came back to look at it again and again about 12 times...they finally got the color scheme right, it has to be the prettiest bike I've ever seen. The Kawi zx-14 was literally right across the walkway from it, and as much as I have lusted over that thing, if I hit the lottery I am no longer considering it...in part because of no ABS on the ninja, in part because the power curve comes in so late for the Kawi, and because that color combo looks THAT damn pretty...

Was damned disappointed that they didn't have test rides like at some of the other locations. Also disappointed in the "IMC motorcom" sales booth personnel who gave me some bullshit story about how their distributor wouldn't let them reduce pricing if I bought two helmet set-ups, so I told him to keep his intercom headsets...and found them cheaper on the net tonight anyway, the bastards.

Oh, a thread earlier this week talked about wheel "chocks"/"docks" and condor has a booth at the show, are selling theirs for almost $100 off with free shipping and no sales tax if you buy it at the show, the setup is pretty slick, they fold flat, weigh all of 25 pounds or so, do not need any permanet mounting in a pickup, come WITH a quick-detach mount for trailers (or you can get without and save ten bucks as I did...mine is going in my garage)...and I got mine for 215 bucks. Then rolled a Vstar 1100 into it, and I could NOT tip it over after it engaged (with the device holding the front wheel only, no side or center stand, and no tie downs, I literally pulled and tugged on the handlebars, then hopped on the footpegs), so that convinced me.

THANKFULLY, this year's show did NOT have 14 booths with "stunta DVD's" (in fact, I don't remember seeing any), although there were not one but four knock-off sunglasses booths. go figure.

UNIMPRESSED with the vendors, even more so than in years past, but it seems they've cleaned up things there...almost none of the ubiquitous profanity patch vendors and adults only t-shirts that made me cover my daughters' eyes in the past, which I think is a good thing.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 7:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
I'll post pics tomorrow, but had some face time with the kawi rep today at the Ft. Worth international motorcycle show. I was told the non-abs concours would likely sticker "about the same as the FJR" I replied "so about $13?" and he silently nodded his head. I said "so with abs a little less than 15?" and he silently nodded his head again.

He said orders can be placed in January, which is when the rest of the specs and the official price will be released to dealers...but he DID say that they were told that they are NOT going to de-tune the ZX-14 engine being put in it...that's 114 foot/pounds and 190 flywheel hp to you and me...but tuned for more low- and mid-range anger, rather than just top end like the ZX...

A couple nifty things on the bike to mention (and yes, it's behind bars, with the left/low side facing the audience because the right side was damaged when it got dumped at the first unveiling). One, the "flash to pass" switch is a literal left grip finger trigger on the front wheel side of the handgrip, pretty trick. Second, the shaft drive looks VERY beefy. Third, the mirrors FOLD to the sides, rather than "break away." Fourth, you can easily see the oil filter, reachable by hand from the front...in other words, no need to remove any tupperware or anything to change the oil. Fifth, and look for the pics, friends, the "wraparound windscreen" looks pretty damn neat, if it functions like it should, it'll be pretty groundbreaking in how windscreens are made from now on.

No word from anyone wearing kawi gear on how soon (or if it already is ready for the shelves) a top trunk will be ready, the passenger seat looks heavily padded, I snuck a jump up on the stage and a press on the pad, and it seemed very soft and fully padded, but it's no LT seat, and the thing sports a 180-MPH SPEEDO!!! I think this one might just make that, actually.

And yes, wave rotors, a curved radiator, ram-air, looks kick-ass, for under 15K...cmon January for full specs.

Sweet, 190 hp sounds like it would cost me my DL seeing how sometimes I get a cramp in the right wrist that forces heavy throttle use

Thanks for the info, I look forward to the pics

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Last edited by tmgs; Nov 19th, 2006 at 7:15 am.
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 7:17 am

Yeah, I never did like those punk morons openly displaying their raunch.

As far as the Concours, my previous bike was a Kaw Nomad and put 45K on it in 3 1/2 years B4 buying the LT, it was a good bike. We did take a round trip to Cleburne, Texas and back, but if we would have had the LT we could have made the trip a whole lot faster and we wouldn't have been passed by every cage on I-20!

I will be looking heavy at the Concours.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 9:16 am

Yes, I may be riding the Concours14 next year myself...but we'll see. I absolutely LOVE this GT, but I am a Horsepower freak! I loved the ZX-11 Ninja that the GT replaced, and I won't have any trouble riding another Kawasaki. I appreciate Kaw's engineering almost as much as BMW's.

A few comments, if I may.

Quote:
...that's 114 foot/pounds and 190 flywheel hp to you and me...but tuned for more low- and mid-range anger, rather than just top end like the ZX.
Just to be more specific, the ZX-14 has a maximum Torque of 113.5 lb-ft @ 7500rpm, and the HP is 187 bhp @ 9500 rpm (197 bhp Ram Air @ 9500 rpm). Do I want all that on the Concours14? . . . YOU BETCHA!!!

Quote:
What are all of the colors being offered? Just for curiosity sake. 'Cuz I'll be riding a black one as well.

Quote:
you can easily see the oil filter, reachable by hand from the front...in other words, no need to remove any tupperware or anything to change the oil.
FYI: The GT's oil filter can be replaced without any Tupperware removal. I'm glad Kaw has finally gone away from "in pan" oil filters as well.

Quote:
I sat on the FJR for the first time...the local Yamaha dealers near Dallas won't even let you do THAT, and decided I really don't like it, with my inseam, even with the seat on it's highest, and the bars adjusted, my knees would never survive...
I have BAD news my friend. I guarantee between the FJR, the GT, and the Concours14, the FJR is going to have the most relaxed ergos. So if you can't get comfy on an FJR, you're in deep doo-doo. Thank God I love tight ergos. The tighter the better.

Final Comments: The two deal breakers for me might just be...
  1. ESA. I can't imagine riding a bike without this feature. I thought that it was a gimmick at first. But now that I have over 12K on my GT, I can't see living without it. I just hope it doesn't cost and arm and a leg to maintain. We'll see.
  2. Cruise Control. Like ESA, I can't imagine a Long-Distance touring being without it...and I've heard no mention of CC on the Concours14. Comments?
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:00 am

My first peek at a black one! Yummy!

CLICK

post #6 of 6 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

response

lol, thanks for the correction on the "numbas, yo!"

Kawi DOES publish torque numbers, but HP dyno results vary, as they do with any model, with individual bikes and machinery, and whether or not they are adjusted for atmospheric conditions, etc, so I took liberty there, thank you for making me honest...besides, the notion of having a bike that could potentially have 197 HP throws me into a cast of excitement trebmles worse than W.C. Fields going thru DT's...

as for colors, the non-abs version (and why in the HELL would you consider that????????????????) will only come in the silver, the ABS-version will come in black or silver for year one.

See my other thread for the link to pics from the show...

Pete

(PS..order your pins and stickers, man!)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in