speed warning - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy speed warning

last summer the wife and i went to yellowstone on vacation. headed home traveling south on rt.120 from cody to termopolis i got a speeding ticket. 82mph/65mph zone. this happined on 9/6/06 got home sent a cashers check for $91.00 fine.(owch) today 11/10/06 i got a letter from the north corolina DMV telling me to send my drivers license to the DMV my driving privilege has been suspended for 30 days. speeding over 75 mph. i did not know this.(ignorance is no excuse) the wife had a smirk on he face while he was writing you should see her now. just a word to the wise be careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:43 pm

sounds like you'd better make a phone call or two, that ticket may have been mis-reported if your suspension is for "driving 75mph over..." instead of 17 over. I don't think that's your state's policy , maybe someone mis-read the ticket and thought you were running DOUBLE the speed limit.

Or does the correspondence state that it's something like "...for exceeding posted speed limits by more than 15 mph...?"

(In IL, if the posted limit were 55 and you ran 110, you'd have earned a fun trip to the local PD in handcuffs, gone through the hassle of posting bail, etc, because of going double over, but I never heard of any enforcement action taken for something you did in another State, unless you were arrested for it--your insurance might ding you, but as long as you paid up, this is a new one. I live in Texas now, and I would think another state calling here and saying "Hey, Joe Smith was stopped and issued a citation for going 17 over in a 75mph zone..." the official response would be "whut the fu** y'all wasting my time over stuuuupid sh** liiike thayut fer?")

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 66 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 11:06 pm

Exclamation Doh…

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
… if your suspension is for "driving 75mph over..." instead of 17 over. I don't think that's your state's policy , maybe someone mis-read the ticket and thought you were running DOUBLE the speed limit.
The fella posted "speeding over 75 mph." He did NOT post "75 over."

post #4 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 6:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
last summer the wife and i went to yellowstone on vacation. headed home traveling south on rt.120 from cody to termopolis i got a speeding ticket. 82mph/65mph zone. this happined on 9/6/06 got home sent a cashers check for $91.00 fine.(owch) today 11/10/06 i got a letter from the north corolina DMV telling me to send my drivers license to the DMV my driving privilege has been suspended for 30 days. speeding over 75 mph. i did not know this.(ignorance is no excuse) the wife had a smirk on he face while he was writing you should see her now. just a word to the wise be careful.
I do not think that states will suspend your license for just speeding. You sure that maybe you got to many points? In Florida they will suspend your license if you do not pay the ticket or if you get too many points. I too, would be on the horn and get to the bottom of the problem. Hate to see you get stopped in some small city and get arrested. Take care of it ASAP.
post #5 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 6:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
I do not think that states will suspend your license for just speeding. You sure that maybe you got to many points? In Florida they will suspend your license if you do not pay the ticket or if you get too many points. I too, would be on the horn and get to the bottom of the problem. Hate to see you get stopped in some small city and get arrested. Take care of it ASAP.

From NC DMV
http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina...ed-license.php

BTW reading through that site I saw at one place and saw Speeding more than 55 mph―3 points

then

Driving is a privilege that should not be taken for granted. While the ease of motor vehicle transportation is convenient, it can also be dangerous. That is why you must drive safely in order to keep your license.
In North Carolina, there are many reasons why your driver license can be suspended or revoked. When your license is suspended or revoked, it is against the law to operate a motor vehicle, or to get a license in another state. Below are just a few examples of how you could potentially lose your license:

Receiving 12 points against your driving record in a three-year period

Getting eight points in the three years following a reinstatement after suspension/revocation

Fraudulent use of license―yours or claiming someone else's as your own

Conviction of an offense in another state, which, if committed here, would be grounds for suspension

**Excessive speeding**

but it says nothing what MPH Excessive speeding is

and I have not found anything about over 20mph over the limit gets you a go to jail card like i have been told, and heard some have been jailed over it.

Oh well. looks like NC can do whatever they care to on the fly when it comes to speeding, that is probably the reason why when I did a google for NC ticket law, about a bazillion law firms popped up for NC tickets

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 8:03 am

Well now, I do know that Pete is right about the double the speed limit
gets you a ride in a patrol car in handcuffs.
There's really no excuse for that type of reckless behavior,
but then............ I was only 17

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 8:27 am

To many points

This is why it is handy to 1 or 2 backup licence, when you get yanked you hand them the ones with the least points on it .
It's a little harder to get these days, but well worth the trouble good to have balance in all things
That way you can combat "The Man and The Police State"
Oh yeah driving is not a privilege it is a right, well at least thats what the court decided.
Rock
post #8 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 9:36 am

I just recently got my NC license and still have the book, here is what it says,

" Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:
-driving any vehicle more than 15 mph over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph."

So, an 82 in a 65 is a legit violation. Also, you were considered convicted when you paid the fine without contest. The problem these days is that states share this information so much easier on common databases than just a few years ago.

Sorry Dan, your probably out of luck. You want me to pick you up for the tech session at Jack's in Dec? You can ride b***h

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 10:09 am

Wow. The interesting question should next be "when does the suspension become effective?"

From the date of offense?
From the date of conviction (when you returned the ticket marked guilty)?
From the date of notification by the state of NC?

Unless the statue is very explicit about the effective date, you may wish to consider exploring this option.

I also wonder about the ability of the state of NC to enforce its laws/jurisdiction on an act that was not committed within the state. Consider this - I live in Illinois where it is strictly forbidden (felony) to carry a concealed weapon. Yet I do it all the time in Florida, for which I have a permit. Even if I didn't have a permit in Florida, it is only a misdemeanor. Could the state of Illinois convict me of carrying a concealed weapon in Florida? Or Georgia? Or Texas? No.

However at the end of the day, doing anything other than sending in your driver’s license is going to cost you time, money, effort, etc.

You might be better off just sending it in. Of course you'll be driving without a license for the next 30 days - that would kind of suck if you got stopped - so don't get stopped. I wonder how sneaky those guys in NC are - wonder if they'd ever drive by your house to see if you were getting in and out of a car...

I'd bet that your insurance company will find out that you now have a suspended license. That really does suck.
post #10 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 10:22 am

Cool

When I lived in Virginia 20 mph over the posted speed limit was considered prima face evidence of "reckless driving" and the penalty increased dramatically. NC may have fine tuned that and ratcheted it up a bit.

Denny
post #11 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 11:19 am

your license is suspended whether you send it in or not. if you are stopped, you will get a ticket for driving with suspened license. try correcting the problem and hope you aren't stopped. omurphy
post #12 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Call them and ask when the suspension starts or if it started already. Then ask what you have to do to get it back. Since its "only" a 30 day suspension, you don't want them taking 60 days to restore it. Here in NJ its not automatic, you have to request it be restored and send them a restoration fee ( yes, another moneymaker).
post #13 of 66 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 11:46 pm

NC gets my vote for stupidest traffic law, then. So, if you're in a 15mph zone and drive 49.5 mph, you get a hefty fine but no suspension, but if you run fifteen over in a 55mph speed zone, you lose your license?

Amazing

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #14 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Well now, I do know that Pete is right about the double the speed limit
gets you a ride in a patrol car in handcuffs.
There's really no excuse for that type of reckless behavior,
but then............ I was only 17

Are you saying, Experience is the best teacher?

Tom

post #15 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 7:04 am

Quote:
NC gets my vote for stupidest traffic law, then. So, if you're in a 15mph zone and drive 49.5 mph, you get a hefty fine but no suspension, but if you run fifteen over in a 55mph speed zone, you lose your license?

Amazing
hehehehe The web site made no sense at all.

Tom

post #16 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 7:31 am

Quote:

Amazing
Oh it get's worse.

Actually, our original poster friend should lose his license for 60 days.

Law says - Lose license for 60 days if - "A conviction for speeding over 75 mph" He was nabbed at 82

Take that law a step further and since much of the freeway speed limits are 70 mph, one could be going 6 mph over, get ticketed by an overzealous LEO, and lose their license for 60 days! Pretty pathetic.

Throw into the mix all the locals making up their own laws and rules as they go, and it makes for some real interesting commuting.

All these laws and rules and NC still has some of the worst drivers I've seen, most accidents(usually head on collisions), and highest insurance rates. Of course they all think they're Cup drivers.

Oh and the 49.5 in a 15 example, they would just tack on a reckless driving citation and you lose your license anyway.

The truth is, the state seems to spend a lot of money on laws that aren't enforced. I'm surprised Dan got nailed.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #17 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 7:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
hehehehe The web site made no sense at all.
Tell me about it. My wife is paranoid of tests, especially drivers tests. She was all tied in knots trying to learn the book and then the neighbors would contradict everything she would read.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #18 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Tell me about it. My wife is paranoid of tests, especially drivers tests. She was all tied in knots trying to learn the book and then the neighbors would contradict everything she would read.
yea the local friends I have there all say something different as well, one fellow I met said he was taken to jail for going 20 mph over the limit not sure what county he was in, I've also heard that from our friends that own BS cycle.

Tom

Tom

post #19 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 9:25 am

Does NC still make you pay your fine in person, on a certain day of the week, with only one clerk serving those who are standing in the inevitable, long ass line?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #20 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 10:14 am

Get a Lawyer

This is anecdotal, and not a guarantee, but my sister lives in NC and in the past few years has received several speeding tickets that, with an attorneys help (the good old boy network) were dropped by the judge. She doesnt seem to worry about them since they were so easy to get dismissed. You are going to pay either way so you might as well not have the record which will raise your insurance rate for the next three years. and no, I'm not a lawyer!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #21 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj

" Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of:

Material printed in a hand book (by the state for the state in the state owned prisons) does not supersede the law.
But for those gullible enough to swallow it Oh well (they count on this, just like they count on you not filing abuse of process charges against them and the local department, for illegal stops, yes you can recover all of your costs including the time you missed from work)
The court decided it was a right, and that has never been overturned
[B]"The right of a citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon in the ordinary course of life and business is a common right which he has under his right to enjoy life and liberty.... It includes the right in so doing to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day; and under existing modes of travel includes the right to drive a horse-drawn carriage or wagon thereon, or to operate an automobile thereon for the usual and ordinary purposes of life and business. It is not a mere privilege, like the privilege of moving a house in the street, operating a business stand in the street, or transporting persons or property for hire along the street, which the city may permit or prohibit at will."

Key emphasis added. Indisputable wisdom recorded in Thompson v. Smith, 154 S.E. 579, 1929.

I would send in the licence to get the return process rolling and continue the fight, you weren't speeding in NC.
Rock
post #22 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Material printed in a hand book (by the state for the state in the state owned prisons) does not supersede the law.
But for those gullible enough to swallow it Oh well (they count on this, just like they count on you not filing abuse of process charges against them and the local department, for illegal stops, yes you can recover all of your costs including the time you missed from work)
The court decided it was a right, and that has never been overturned
[B]"The right of a citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon in the ordinary course of life and business is a common right which he has under his right to enjoy life and liberty.... It includes the right in so doing to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day; and under existing modes of travel includes the right to drive a horse-drawn carriage or wagon thereon, or to operate an automobile thereon for the usual and ordinary purposes of life and business. It is not a mere privilege, like the privilege of moving a house in the street, operating a business stand in the street, or transporting persons or property for hire along the street, which the city may permit or prohibit at will."

Key emphasis added. Indisputable wisdom recorded in Thompson v. Smith, 154 S.E. 579, 1929.
[/B]

Rock

I would like to see that one fought in FLorida and won,
Fl doesn;t seem to connect the DMV to the courts IOW I have seen court say you can have your DL and the DMV say no and keep the DL

I know fight it, (too late now) but all that takes is a ton of money for a good lawyer that is willing to do that fight!

Tom

post #23 of 66 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Yet another example of Wyoming State Patrol "not" profiling out of state license plates. Uh-huh. You betchya.

Me 'n my LT regularly do 80 to 85 in a 75 and get waved at by the State Leos on the Interstates. Yet, I've family from Colorado that got yanked for doing 77 in a 75.

It's a money make'n gig. They know us locals could fight 'weak' citations and they'd loose out. Out of Staters aren't likely to come back to BFE and fight 'em. So, they get 'tagged' for extra donations to the retirement fund.

At least in the mid-terms we voted a %1 tax on ourselves while voting in a 3% lodging tax for visitors.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #24 of 66 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 5:28 am

I run laser or radar, cops must have good vision to see what state a person is from about 500 to 600 hundred feet. Your thinking that cops just write out of staters means nothing to me. I get told that a stop is based on race, but in fact I can not tell if you are white, black, yellow, or pink, just the same bull that cop could careless if you are out of state, in state or from mars. We just write them. It gets old reading the same post about tickets. We write out of towns, I got stop for 5 over, I got etc......................
post #25 of 66 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 5:54 am

Hey John, what is that link again for the motor officer site with calendars, pics of your mug, etc.?

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #26 of 66 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 8:32 am

Quote:
I run laser or radar, cops must have good vision to see what state a person is from about 500 to 600 hundred feet. Your thinking that cops just write out of staters means nothing to me. I get told that a stop is based on race, but in fact I can not tell if you are white, black, yellow, or pink, just the same bull that cop could careless if you are out of state, in state or from mars. We just write them. It gets old reading the same post about tickets. We write out of towns, I got stop for 5 over, I got etc......................
I would agree that from the roadside it would be difficult to pick out a visitor unless they had a major difference in their plates (White in a sea of blue plates for example). However, many of us have had experiences that bear out Zotter's claim. I was in the middle of a group of vehicles going 82 in a 65 zone. I was the lucky winner. I was out of state, the others were local. He had to go to some effort to get at me, it would have been easier to go after the leader or the last car. There was no other difference in our driving or vehicles, no reason other than my plates to single me out. It is not hard to spot an out of state plate from an adjoining moving vehicle. Perhaps you don't use local/visitor as a factor but there are speed trap towns were that is a factor. Come to think of it, doesn't AAA list a certain Florida town near you as a major speed trap?
post #27 of 66 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 8:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
This is anecdotal, and not a guarantee, but my sister lives in NC and in the past few years has received several speeding tickets that, with an attorneys help (the good old boy network) were dropped by the judge. She doesnt seem to worry about them since they were so easy to get dismissed. You are going to pay either way so you might as well not have the record which will raise your insurance rate for the next three years. and no, I'm not a lawyer!
More anecdotal evidence - I am not a lawyer but I can tell you from experience (my wife’s experience – not mine) that in North Carolina if you get a ticket you can usually have a lawyer plead a lesser offense – such as an equipment violation. It’s sort of a get-out-of-jail-free plea. You will pay court costs, the cost of the violation and lawyer fees. You will not get points on your license. But you only get one “freebie” per county! That’s not going to help you much if you get a ticket in another state . . . . but I would still talk to a lawyer.

I got almost got a speeding ticket in the town of Norway, South Carolina (a known speed trap) but the "policeman" decided to “do me a favor” and gave me a ticket for “Inattentive Driving”. Turns out that the Inattentive Driving ticket did not put points on my license (that's nice) but it did give the town of Norway an extra $200 (that's not nice)! If he had given me a speeding $60 speeding ticket the town of Norway would have gotten one-half or $30 and I could have fought the ticket in court. (I was not speeding – for once.) I guess when you consider everything the $200 was cheaper.
post #28 of 66 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:07 am

Quote:

But, you don't write the ticket from 600 feet away, any more than they do in Wyoming.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #29 of 66 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Quote:
I have a bit of a problem with the concept of getting caught doing something wrong (speeding, flashing .... whatever) in one state, being arrested (ticked at the roadside), paying your fine; AND then being re-punished later when you get home. Kind of like when I was in school.

Georgia. Our receptionist was at a red light in GA waiting on the light to change when she was hit from behind by another car pushing her into the car in front of her. The driver that hit her was charged and SHE was charged with 'following too close' because she hit the car in front of her. A couple of calls got that changed but it could have been a problem on her SC record even though she was not at fault and had no control of the situation. And no, she was not charged because she was from out of state.

In a conversation with group of GA and SC LEOs (local and HWP Officers) a couple of years ago, we learned that SC Officers sometimes will issue a citation for 'inconsiderate driving' as a way of a warning because it does not show up on your record if you live in SC. The SC warning is considered a 'reckless driving' charge in GA because there is no corresponding charge in GA. The SC officers were very surprised that what they thought was a warning (gift) was being treated as much worse in the drivers home state. There could be many more misunderstandings like this one all over the US.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #30 of 66 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Good on ya Motorman. By no means saying this is all LEOs. And I don't wanna say it 'bout our own here. But, we've watched it here. Maybe it's just the out of staters that're more prevelant speeders, but when I pass a State LEO with a customer on the side of the road - VAST majority of 'em are out of staters. Some towns publish the speeding violations in their newspapers. Reading the state citations - again, vast majority of 'em are out of staters. Again, could just be that those that'd dare to wander into Wyoming are simply bad apples - but there's "something" going on.

Numbers just don't ring up right. FWIW, It does seem to be the State guys. Don't notice the same pattern in the county or local stuff.

Oh, and my family folks that got whacked? He's a LEO his own self. Give our state guy cred for no freebies

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #31 of 66 Old Nov 20th, 2006, 6:33 pm

It might be that their software doesn't recognize that the speed limit was 65 vrs 55?

I get run over on the interstate here if I try and do 80 in the 75mph stretches.

With the stock speedo, around 95-100!

Bob
post #32 of 66 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 6:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
Hey John, what is that link again for the motor officer site with calendars, pics of your mug, etc.?
www.motorcops.com
post #33 of 66 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 6:47 am

You can call it what you want, but a speed trap, which they really aren't, if you are not speeding. Just go the speed limit. I still do not believe that you would get a ticket because you are a out of towner. Maybe I just work for a great department that something like that would not happen.
post #34 of 66 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 8:17 am

I did a ride along with the local PD and one officer was telling me he pulled a FL driver over for doing 45 in a 25 hospital zone. Said he was going to simply point out to him that he needed to pay attn to the speed limits, yet the guy's attitude ended up getting him the full ticket. Now you can take that for what it's worth, but seems like for the most part our local LEOS are a pretty good bunch here.

The original post though, sounds like he needs to visit a lawyer to check options and see what is available.

I knbow we got tons of stories and I try to stick up for the LEOs as long as they seem to be doing a fair job fairly.

I haven't been stopped in quite a while and last time I did, I smarted off and got a ticket. I did get a lawyer to fix it up for me. I imagine the couple hundred bucks was for him to take care of it in the hallway in passing, but it did save me. My ins agent told me to spend the money then to avoid having the points on ins and incerase in rates.

Rando
post #35 of 66 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 8:18 am

I'm gonna have to back John up on this one.
11-17-06
State boy is set up in lot next to my shop, we are out in lot taking photo and video of a spider (Big florescent orange, never seen one like it, thus the pics)
Tan car goes by rather slow in passing lane older person both hands on wheel, he hits lights.
Well we start to argue why he pulled them over, I said they were in the violating the 11th commandment (Thou shall not clog up the fast lane, unless passing)
So when he comes back I go ask him, why he pulled that lady over. He says it was a guy not a lady and they had been doing 78 in the 55. Had slowed down and put both hands on the wheel when we saw them.
So to be able to target a plate from 1/4-1/8 of a mile would be very tough.
Rock
PS I took the spider inside and took the below picture, should have shot on manual, the white backing through of the color balance. there is also a video of him click here then click on text spider at shop
post #36 of 66 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 8:40 am

Quote:
You can call it what you want, but a speed trap, which they really aren't,
boy they have em in georgia on I-75

I saw 7 cars pulled at once last trip home, one sits on a bridge over I-75 thye have 4,6 somtimes 7 cop cars lined up on the on ramp on the other side of the bridge, they pull them over a bunch at one time

good thing I was not speeding.

Tom

Tom

post #37 of 66 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 8:44 am

Quote:
PS I took the spider inside and took the below picture, should have shot on manual, the white backing through of the color balance. there is also a video of him click here then click on text spider at shop
Awesome spider, figure out what ind it is?

Tom

Tom

post #38 of 66 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 9:17 am

It doesn't matter

Quote:
You can call it what you want, but a speed trap, which they really aren't, if you are not speeding. Just go the speed limit. I still do not believe that you would get a ticket because you are a out of towner. Maybe I just work for a great department that something like that would not happen.
I've had 3 speeding tickets in 31 years of driving...so I'm not a big "offender." But I learned a lesson with the last one...you don't have to speed here to get the ticket.

After being held late at the office (til 9:30) by one of our VP's I finally headed home. I was frustrated...because there was no reason for the late day...mainly just satisfying somebody's ego. After getting the forth light red, just as I got to it, on green I accelerated my wife's car to the 50 mph speed limit rather quickly (but no wheel spin). But no more than 50...I had already had my radar detector singing to me for 3 miles at this point, telling me of something up ahead. After holding at 50 for about a mile, another car got behind me literally on my bumper. He was so close I could not see his headlights, probably within 2-3 feet from my rear bumper. I had to gradually speed up to 54 mph in order to pass the car in the right lane doing 50 on the nose. I was terrified that the idiot behind me was going to rear-end me, figuring he was PO'd I was only doing the speed limit (knowing there was an LEO nearby). I was able to get over to the right lane, and as soon as there was a single car length between me and the car I just passed, the car that had been behind me changed lanes as well...and then turned his bubble gum lights on.

I was sited for 68 mph....a speed that I know 100% for sure that I never came close to. I suppose that accelerating faster than a blue hair got him irked, then he probably saw the RD and further irked him, but at that point realizing I had committed no violation, he knew he had to try and force me into one. In retrospect I'm just glad that he did not get both of us killed in the process.

Florida has the get out of points option for speeding (classroom), and it costs a less than a lawyer....so I opted for that. Also by opting for it you do not admit guilt.

While I won't name the jursdiction, it is noted down here for "strong" enforcement. I just learned that day how strong it is (you don't need to violate the limits)....and how dangerous.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #39 of 66 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 9:20 am

Off Topic

Interesting spider, I did a little browsing on that site and I'm wondering
about "the Rock Dance",
It looks kinda like a full body LT wave to me,
Anybody else notice that?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #40 of 66 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
After holding at 50 for about a mile, another car got behind me literally on my bumper. He was so close I could not see his headlights, probably within 2-3 feet from my rear bumper.
Get that close to me, I do my emergency stop pratice, so I don't hit the Kitty. Stand on them brakes and see how good they are in control of their vehicle.
Rock
post #41 of 66 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 5:55 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
Wow, Dan! I can't believe they will suspend your DL for ONLY 17 over. CHICKEN SHIT!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #42 of 66 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:05 am

More Off-topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Interesting spider, I did a little browsing on that site and I'm wondering
about "the Rock Dance",
It looks kinda like a full body LT wave to me,
Anybody else notice that?
Uh... I thought maybe he was doing his impression of Elaine on "Seinfeld".

We may have to get a live demonstration of this at our next Tech Session. He can pick up his coffee cup at the same time.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #43 of 66 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:21 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew
Wow. The interesting question should next be "when does the suspension become effective?"

From the date of offense?
From the date of conviction (when you returned the ticket marked guilty)?
From the date of notification by the state of NC?

Unless the statue is very explicit about the effective date, you may wish to consider exploring this option.

I also wonder about the ability of the state of NC to enforce its laws/jurisdiction on an act that was not committed within the state. Consider this - I live in Illinois where it is strictly forbidden (felony) to carry a concealed weapon. Yet I do it all the time in Florida, for which I have a permit. Even if I didn't have a permit in Florida, it is only a misdemeanor. Could the state of Illinois convict me of carrying a concealed weapon in Florida? Or Georgia? Or Texas? No.

However at the end of the day, doing anything other than sending in your driver’s license is going to cost you time, money, effort, etc.

You might be better off just sending it in. Of course you'll be driving without a license for the next 30 days - that would kind of suck if you got stopped - so don't get stopped. I wonder how sneaky those guys in NC are - wonder if they'd ever drive by your house to see if you were getting in and out of a car...

I'd bet that your insurance company will find out that you now have a suspended license. That really does suck.
You are correct. Each state can enforce its' motor veh laws in that state only. If you were in another state, and committed an offense which would result in your DL being suspended in that state, your home state may honor that suspension by suspending your DL, however. Such a provision would have to be part of your home state's motor veh laws, to be enforced.

The biggest expense with having your DL suspended is the insurance cost--which then doubles (or more).

Most insurance companies will conduct periodic DL checks to verify that you do not/have not had your DL suspended.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #44 of 66 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:33 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
....11th commandment (Thou shall not clog up the fast lane, unless passing)....
I love it! Is there any way that we can move that up a commandment or two in SO CA?!

People are very religious here......in the church of the most high clogging heathen!!

post #45 of 66 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:58 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
I've had 3 speeding tickets in 31 years of driving...so I'm not a big "offender." But I learned a lesson with the last one...you don't have to speed here to get the ticket.

After being held late at the office (til 9:30) by one of our VP's I finally headed home. I was frustrated...because there was no reason for the late day...mainly just satisfying somebody's ego. After getting the forth light red, just as I got to it, on green I accelerated my wife's car to the 50 mph speed limit rather quickly (but no wheel spin). But no more than 50...I had already had my radar detector singing to me for 3 miles at this point, telling me of something up ahead. After holding at 50 for about a mile, another car got behind me literally on my bumper. He was so close I could not see his headlights, probably within 2-3 feet from my rear bumper. I had to gradually speed up to 54 mph in order to pass the car in the right lane doing 50 on the nose. I was terrified that the idiot behind me was going to rear-end me, figuring he was PO'd I was only doing the speed limit (knowing there was an LEO nearby). I was able to get over to the right lane, and as soon as there was a single car length between me and the car I just passed, the car that had been behind me changed lanes as well...and then turned his bubble gum lights on.

I was sited for 68 mph....a speed that I know 100% for sure that I never came close to. I suppose that accelerating faster than a blue hair got him irked, then he probably saw the RD and further irked him, but at that point realizing I had committed no violation, he knew he had to try and force me into one. In retrospect I'm just glad that he did not get both of us killed in the process.

Florida has the get out of points option for speeding (classroom), and it costs a less than a lawyer....so I opted for that. Also by opting for it you do not admit guilt.

While I won't name the jursdiction, it is noted down here for "strong" enforcement. I just learned that day how strong it is (you don't need to violate the limits)....and how dangerous.
Duane, I'm trying to get this straight: are you saying that the officer was tailgating the shit out of you to "force" you to speed up?

post #46 of 66 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Duane, I'm trying to get this straight: are you saying that the officer was tailgating the shit out of you to "force" you to speed up?
That's the only explanation that I can come up with. If there is any other reason that an LEO would follow you at few feet off your bumper, with no lights on, with another vehicle in the right lane so that you cannot get over, I would love to know it...

Also to answer Uncle Rock's comment...I was driving my wife's two week old car....totally it by getting rear ended by a police car would not have pleased her....and I'm pretty sure that the LEO would have come up with some reason that it was my fault that he had to hit me.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #47 of 66 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:27 am

Motto of Williamson County, Texas:
"Come on vacation, leave on probation." WORD!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #48 of 66 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 10:41 am

Quote:
That's the only explanation that I can come up with. If there is any other reason that an LEO would follow you at few feet off your bumper, with no lights on, with another vehicle in the right lane so that you cannot get over, I would love to know it...

Also to answer Uncle Rock's comment...I was driving my wife's two week old car....totally it by getting rear ended by a police car would not have pleased her....and I'm pretty sure that the LEO would have come up with some reason that it was my fault that he had to hit me.
bullshit
The driver is to be in control of vehicle at all times. So if it got totalled she gets a new one.
Rock
post #49 of 66 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 9:26 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:

WOW! That's outrageous behavior by an LEO! Next time, Duane, make sure you file the appropriate complaint. LEO's need to be an example of safe driving.

post #50 of 66 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
They do that here in GA (little po-dunk towns) all of the time. We even had a local cop rearend someone's pickup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in