How Many Years Without An Accident - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

How Many Years Without An Accident

I'm lucky in that I've been riding over 20 years and my only accident was running into my brother on his bike at 5 MPH (my fault, no injuries). I'm curious to know about those of you who have ridden accident free and what your own rules are when to ride to stay that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 5:22 pm

OK if low speed drops don't count as an accident, last one I had was in March of '85. I had more than a little ownership in fault as I had way more PBR in me than I needed. Had someone turn left out of the right lane and that was the end of that bike. Broken shoulders hurt.

Ride like you are invisible, and always be aware of what is going on around you. Expect other to do stupid things and ride with that expectation and have a plan, if you have to think about what you are going to do, it ain't gonna happen, it'll be over with when you start to figure it out, you'll be on your butt or worse. Practice evasive action, panic braking, etc.

Take a MSF course.

Learned late in life that alchohol and motorcycles are not a good mix and have the scars to prove it. Especially if you are one of the folks where one is too many and twelve ain't enough crowd (applies to me).

B D R
post #3 of 39 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 5:34 pm

None in 37 years. But I was almost tee-boned about a month ago by an old station wagon coming out a side street into my 4 laner. Never had anything remotely like it before. I was slightly daydreaming proving you gotta stay vigilant! I would have been toast on my R90/6.

post #4 of 39 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 6:28 pm

I went 20 years until I crashed in a corner in Montana. I was going too fast on a farmer-go-to-town highway. The pavement was all torn up and it caused me to crash; broken collarbone and two broken ribs. After I quit seeing double I rode 35 miles to an emergency room in Butte, MT.
It's been 20 more years since that crash (hope I'm not due) and here's what I do differently: I have a 20 MPH rule -- if the highway corner sign says 45 and I can't see thru the corner I will enter the corner no faster than 65; 35 = 55 and so on. For my skill level this keeps me from entering the corner too hot. I hold this speed until I can see the corners exit then accelerate out of the corner.

Bruce Hodges
post #5 of 39 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 6:36 pm
DGM

Wink

22 years before I got rear ended sitting at a stop light.
Ride like all cager's are out to kill you. One way to stay aware.
Don
post #6 of 39 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 6:56 pm

October of '95. 55mph into a wall. Wet roads and no ABS...whamo! Sudden Deceleration Syndrome.

FWIW, totally my fault. I learned a lot that night.
post #7 of 39 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 7:13 pm

I went almost 18 years this time.

January 28 of this year, about 7am, sun coming up, 48 degrees and raining. Perfectly straight road, hyper alert due to deer o'clock. The rear started coming around, goosed it and bumped the handle bars, came around the other way, bumped the handle bars again. I reckon I bumped too hard the last time as the bike swapped ends and I was riding backwards. My thought? Kewl!!! Then I went down. Slid down the road backwards, noticed the bike next to me and kicked away, didn't want to get into a tumble with her. Looked over my shoulder and saw the grass coming, crossed my arms and slid into it. Sprained ankle from kicking away and found a grapefruit size rock on the side of the road. I still have a big hole in my rib cage from it. My riding suit and helmet didn't have one mark!

DPS trooper walked me to a big oil spill. Didn't see it due to the rain and the sun just coming up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 39 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 7:42 pm

I haven't hit the pavement since 1959 when I went over the handlebars during my young and stupid years.
So I may be due one and pray I can walk away if it happens.

Until then I'll keep my eyes moving, watch every little movement, try to always have a escape plan, not get boxed in and never asume that car with the right blinker on won't turn left or will stop at the stop sign.

I evaluate the risk factors of where I ride and when and try the keep the odds as much in my favor as possible. Less traffic More miles.
post #9 of 39 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Rear ended twice while sitting at red lights. First in 1985 and the second six months ago. Totaled bikes both times; walked away both times.

I really hate red lights.
post #10 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:24 am

Well, this month is 2 years with no accident. Guess that is because I have not had a bike since the last one?

Four accidents in 35 years, three of them on LTs since Nov. 2000, two LTs totaled.

Wonder why my wife does not want me to get another LT?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Well, this month is 2 years with no accident. Guess that is because I have not had a bike since the last one?

Four accidents in 35 years, three of them on LTs since Nov. 2000, two LTs totaled.

Wonder why my wife does not want me to get another LT?
I have yet to hear of anyone with a new GT getting into a major accident. Just minor drops. So...maybe the new GT is crash-proof?! Am I helping?!?!
post #12 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:31 am

Knock on a lot of wood. Haven't crashed in 30 years of street riding, except our standing tip over a couple months ago. What was that all about anyway?

But, I've taken evasive action that has taken me off the road more times than I can remember, once down between the rails of a train track. Have kissed the driver side door of one young ladies car with the front tire.(Could have stopped on this one but wanted to give her a tap for effect, it worked.) Been hit with glancing blows twice and managed to stay up, once with smashed points and cover on a 750 Honda. Jumped over 4x4's on the freeway. Pulled away from a fast approaching pickup from behind just before he took my previously occupied space.

I really don't know how many miles I have on the street, but I'm sure it is well less than 100k. So, I still think I'm due to get mine all the time. And since the LT is the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned, I guard it closely at all times.

For some reason, I think my time is going to come with a deer. That is the most unpredictable occurence I can think of on the road.

Ride safe and often,

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #13 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:38 am

Riding off and on since 1970.
No accidents.
Strickly follow a Zero beers rule when riding.
Always leave space in traffic and always slow for intersections.

Dave Granzin

'00 K1200LT
'04 R1150GS
93' Honda Nighthawk
post #14 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
I really don't know how many miles I have on the street, but I'm sure it is well less than 100k. So, I still think I'm due to get mine all the time.
** Note to self: Stop riding with Mr. Bowles! **

post #15 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
I'm lucky in that I've been riding over 20 years and my only accident was running into my brother on his bike at 5 MPH (my fault, no injuries). I'm curious to know about those of you who have ridden accident free and what your own rules are when to ride to stay that way.
Accident free, that is a concept I wish I could have had kept, I've had two on street accidents in 30 years of riding back in the mid 80's (purely my fault) and in 95 when a flat bed truck got me from the right side (that one hurt! a year basically in bed) (not my fault)

You asked "When to ride to stay that way"?,
To me it is not when, it is only how to ride to stay that way.
I ride in all types of weather (ok no Ice yet being in the south but I have come through snow twice getting back home now) traffic conditions and times of day and night

Pay attention to your surroundings all the time every direction! practice practice practice all your skills, visual Particularly using Peripheral vision, hearing, braking, quick steering.

there is so much to keep "safe"

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #16 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 4:11 pm

Got run off the road in New Braunfels Texas in 1973......broken left wrist, bones in both hands, and a couple of fingers. Coma for almost 2 days.

Got rear-ended Nov 30th of last year.....totaled my RT......bad bruising on the back side of both thighs (saddle bags ya know). Still having hip and shoulder problems.

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #17 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

I went riding today for the first time since I lost my friend a week ago. They just arrested the woman who hit him and charged her with vehicular homicide.......riding on the wrong side of the road. It took 2 hours till I could relax a little today. Great weather, warm seat and grips, beautiful scenery. I really don't want to give this up even though my wife and friends would prefer it if I did.
post #18 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
I really don't want to give this up even though my wife and friends would prefer it if I did.
And their reactions are typical, I suppose. When I was asked why I decided to keep riding after my accident, my simple reply was, "If I stop riding, I might-as-well have died in the crash. But I didn't, so I might-as-well LIVE. And riding is one of the best ways that I know how to celebrate life. MY life."

Then there's always the simple question: Would anyone ask another to stop driving a car after they've been in an auto accident? Of course not.

I hope this helps, and is received in the spirit in which it's intended. I know this is a difficult time for you.
post #19 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
** Note to self: Stop riding with Mr. Bowles! **

That's no fun

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #20 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Quote:
I have yet to hear of anyone with a new GT getting into a major accident. Just minor drops. So...maybe the new GT is crash-proof?! Am I helping?!?!

HMMMMMM. Tell my wife, please!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #21 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 5:38 pm

I have been riding since I was 16 (39 years ago) and have had one accident. Rear ended at an intersection by a cager who was looking for a bank. I wasn't hurt but my Guzzi ended up stuck in the grill of a VW Golf. When I ride I always assume no one can see me, so far this has kept me safe.
post #22 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Quote:
And their reactions are typical, I suppose. When I was asked why I decided to keep riding after my accident, my simple reply was, "If I stop riding, I might-as-well have died in the crash. But I didn't, so I might-as-well LIVE. And riding is one of the best ways that I know how to celebrate life. MY life."

Then there's always the simple question: Would anyone ask another to stop driving a car after they've been in an auto accident? Of course not.

I hope this helps, and is received in the spirit in which it's intended. I know this is a difficult time for you.
I agree completely. Great post Joe.

Bruce Hodges
post #23 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 6:29 pm

So far so good on a motorcycle, no crashes (or tip overs) in 26 years. Too many close calls to count, it is a dangerous out there.

Auto's I haven't been so lucky, I've been rear ended 2 times in the last 11 years, both times I was stopped, and lucky not to be on a bike.

Good day

Brad
post #24 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Too many, none bad, last one a few months ago.

Not counting near zero speed drops:

#1 1972 Honda CB500, my second street bike. Drank one beer at lunch. Got on the bike, feet up on highway bars, left hand on left thigh, sitting back crusier style. Entered decreasing radius turn too fast. Got back into proper riding position and put it down by locking up the rear wheel. Rear wheel came to a stop in the sandy shoulder a couple feet from the guard rail. Front tire still on pavement. Still in 5th gear, clutch in. Bent the engine crash bar. Sand all over the instruments, seat, in a cloud of dust. No injuries. Rode home and sold the bike. Inexperienced rider, casual attitude, judgement altered by a beer, duh!

#2 More than a decade later, R90/6. Severely worn front tire (it had been 10,000 miles, coast to coast and back trip). Downhill approach to a stop sign at a blind intersection. Wet road, oil patch as commonly seen at intersections. Front wheel locked, I corrected, but still too fast and headed for the stop sign (I could have stayed up by running the stop sign which would not have been a good idea because oncoming traffic was not visible though the trees). Locked it up again and put it down. A few scrapes and bruises. Speed to fast for conditions and badly worn front tire, duh!

#3 Riding the R90/6 from Vermont to Naval Station Phila on the interstate behind a flat bed semi. Cars in front slowed rapidly for reasons unknown to me. I couldn't see past the semi. The truck driver locked up his brakes and left a skid patch and cloud of smoke. I locked up my rear wheel as I ran into the back of the semi. Hit it just hard enough to make the front end dive. Semi driver stuck his head out of the cab and yelled: "You okay?" I gave him a thumbs up and we were back on our way. Following too closely, duh!

#4 More than 15 years later, Yamaha Venture Royale, making a 90 degree turn on a paved road in the sugar cane fields of Okinawa. Coral dust and slick road surface. Rear tire went out quick, no recovery time, low sided, and I stayed with the bike as it spun 360 degrees on the crash bar. No injury. (I had just landed after a great paraglider flight and was pumped. I took that adrenaline to the bike in place of judgement). Excessive speed for conditions, duh!

#5 2000 BMW K1200lt, wife on back. Deer comes out of the shadows from trees near the road side. Deer passes in front of us so fast no reaction time. Bambi kicks off my left side moto-light, the bike shudders and keeps on tracking. Hiromi looks back to see the deer on the opposite side of the road looking back at us. No injuries. Lost the moto light and the Charm Bell Grif had given me at Gatlinburg. (Come to think of it Grif, that thing really did work. Thank you.) (I got a new motolight from the Motolight folks and a new bell from Grif in Braselton. Thanks Grif). This near-accident is a tough one to find aggregious operator error. Speed: a little excessive 65-70 in a 50 zone. Mid-day, deer not really expected but lots of trees and shadows close to the road. Inexperienced deer, duh!

#6 This past spring, 1974 Honda CB550 cafe, overcast day with occasional light showers. Decreasing radius left hander. Riding fast. The road very slightly damp, I thought it was just dark from overcast skies. didn't realize road was wet; I should have. Rear wheel breaks away, I correct at the expense of turn radius, then I increased turn angle to get back on track and the rear breaks again. Now looking at the guard rail. Hit the guard rail and bounced/scraped along it. Don't go down. Turn signals front and rear bent or broken. Front brake lever bent. Right foot, still on the brake pedal kinda hurting. Bike limps home (points cover bent in so the bike would run but ignition wouldn't advance without stalling). Ride home slow and limp for the next few weeks. X-rays. no fractures, bad contusion. I really knew better, bad frame of mind, riding aggressively on a bike with little tires that just don't hold the road like my LT or even the R90 BMWs. Bad judgment in many ways, I knew better. "Fifty percent of this game is half mental."

All mishaps I attribute to bad judgement and failure to recognise conditions.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Nov 17th, 2006 at 6:48 pm.
post #25 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Crash proof GT?

Quote:
I suspect that the new GT is so fast and seductive that no one gets hurt on the things, they and the bike just get vaporized and disappear into the ether.
Maybe that's why no one's heard of an accident; yeah, that's it, I'm sure of it.
post #26 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 7:50 pm

I was accident free for 42 years, not counting the ocasional falls in the dirt. Then in July my "run" ended when a car and I competed for the same space at forty MPH. I don't remember the accident as I seem to have amnesia regarding the actual crash. I only remember waking up in the ER. The good news is I walked away from the ER with nothing more than abrasions and contusions.

I recently bought another bike to replace the one I totaled in the accident. I am looking forward to another 42 years with no accident.
post #27 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 8:58 pm

I have been riding on the street for 34 years No accidents since the late 70's and that time there was oil on the road at night and in a turn,
I went down so fast I didnt even have time to react before me and my Moto Guzzi was sliding down the road.

I think the key to staying alive is to ride within your limits and to ride very defensively and pay close attention to all directions all the time.

My biggest fear is hitting a deer because they just pop out of nowhere and I have had a few close calls.

Dan
post #28 of 39 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 9:05 pm

Had plenty of bicycle/car accidents as a kid. Mostly car's just pulling out on ya. Somehow I have managed to not "hit" anything on M/C.

About a year and a half ago the ABS messed up and I dropped my LT on it's left side in the street. Until then it had been 36 years.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #29 of 39 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 5:56 am

None yet in my whopping 16 months of riding. A few close calls on the daily commute (a couple posted on this site), and several close encounters w/deer.

Reading this thread is a priceless education; this stuff is covered in 15 minutes in the MSF BRC. Especially liked CharlieVT's summaries of his experiences.

And Joe: 55 mph into a wall? That explains sooooo much...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #30 of 39 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 8:49 am

Curse yourself list?

I think I'll try to avoid any Extra bad juju, and not answer. Have to go shake the dried monkey foot over my bike now, whille I hop on one leg counter clockwise.
Rock
post #31 of 39 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
I think I'll try to avoid any Extra bad juju, and not answer. Have to go shake the dried monkey foot over my bike now, whille I hop on one leg counter clockwise.
Rock
We get the idea, Keep up the good work.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #32 of 39 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 10:10 am

The one accident I had over the last twenty years was on a 1969 HD FLH. I spent nearly six months and many dollars restoring that bike to nearly stock condition. It was stripped to the frame and completely redone. While this was being done, I frequently commented "Some old lady will probably get me once it's done."

I had about sixty miles on the beautiful new old bike when a ninety two year old lady came out of a parking lot across two lanes. I did not see her through the cars in the right lane and hit her left front quarter panel and flew over the hood. Walked away and without much except some scrapes and a bruise on my hip where I bent the handlebars up on my way off of the bike. No helmet, but I didn't hit my head. I do remember being in the air and thinking "There goes my paint job."

Now, I don't speak of possible accidents. Especially details, like age or gender of future offenders.

I also now ride a bike with decent brakes. Not drum brakes front and rear. I'm sure I could have stopped in time with some freaking brakes that actually worked.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
ó Charles Bukowski
post #33 of 39 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 2:54 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
October of '95. 55mph into a wall. Wet roads and no ABS...whamo! Sudden Deceleration Syndrome.

FWIW, totally my fault. I learned a lot that night.
.....and I was wondering how anyone can have over 10 posts per day. Duh!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #34 of 39 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 7:07 am

I have had many bikes in the last 30 years, in 1975 I was riding a new 750 three cylinder water cooled two cycle suzuki at midnight on a two lane road. Car was stopped coming toward me, I thought waiting to turn. When I got close to him he turned his bright lights on to warn me there was a dog in my lane next to his car. I never seen the dog hit him doing 70 and went over the handle bars. Bent the forks back to the engine, bad road rash, lacerated forehead from my glasses,broken leg and ground the visor snaps right off my full face helmet and the right side of my face was ground away. Ask me if I always wear a hemet. Nothing since and I don't think it's is luck, I ride very defensivly like everyone is out to get me. My last close caal was a couple of weeks ago, I was passing three cars on a two lane when the 98 year old driver in the lead car decided to turn left with no warning and ran me in the ditch, kept her upright but got stuck in the mud boy I was pissed. I try not to ride after dark I live in northern Michigan and we have alot of deer running around.
Well thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Dress for the fall not for the ride. Ride safe

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Ride Safe
post #35 of 39 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
.....and I was wondering how anyone can have over 10 posts per day. Duh!
Hardy har har har...you're a funny funny man.
post #36 of 39 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:59 am

I've had 3 accidents with MC since I been riding, 52yrs.
1st was on a 1961 NSU 250 in 7/62.
2nd was 0n a 1971 R79/5 when the rear wheel split between the spoke hole, then out each side. Went down at about 60 mph w/oh on the back. No major injuries. Lucky US.
3rd was in 1992 at the BMWMOA rally. We were leaving the camp site of friend after the Saturday night awards program. Going about 10mph due to people walking along side the fair grounds road. K bike coming the other way high speed, hit us almost head on. I was on a 1974 R90/6, axle nut went through K engine, cutting timing chain on the bike.
Again, lucky no serious injuries.

Long story, sorry, So you never Know when someone will change your day from fun to ugly.
post #37 of 39 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Until a few weeks ago, I did not have an accident in more than 45 years, when I got rear ended on my Vespa in my last year of college.

On Election Day this year, I was on my way to Upstate in New York, when the following happened...(crash photos at the end of the message)

Came over a hill, big truck coming the other way, and of course the deer jumps out in front and just misses being hit by the truck. Now, the deer was square in my path. I had braked down, but in order to miss the deer, I swerved to the right and went off the asphalt onto the dirt shoulder at 20 mph or so.(Couldn't go left as the truck was opposite me in the other lane!)

I did a quick swerve to the left, to get back on the road, but the bike had started to wobble . I saw the deer's eyes, so I just lay down the bike on its left side and got off before it hit the dirt.

I picked myself up and walked over to the bike that was now mostly off the pavement in the dirt.The truck was now out of sight. A passing driver stopped and gave me a hand picking up the bike. It started up immediately OK and all systems were working.

Most of the tupperware on the left front and left side case took a beating. The side case did come off when it hit the ground/dirt and has only light scratches. I was able to remount it. The left front side panel, leg panel and left edge of the outside of the fairing look real bad. The left motolight mounted on the caliper popped out of its fitting. The left side mirror is scuffed on the edge. The passenger grab rail is quite worn down where the bike slid. Not a scratch on the windshield. The edge never touched the ground. A slight scratch of the rubber part of the footpeg.

I got hardly a scrape. My leather jacket is torn on the elbow The pants have a very slight tear and I have a slight bruise on my hip.

I always wear all my gear all the time.

I got quite shook up,. I was 120 miles from home. I got back on the bike and drove 90 miles (most of the way home) and dropped the bike off at Cliff's BMW in Danbury, CT . The bike ran perfectly all the way and everything worked as normal.

The bike took a hard one, but will back in action along with me very soon.

Oh, the deer got away without a scratch !

Motto ! ATGATT

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw crash 001 copy.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	8369   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw crash 002 copy.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	8370   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw crash 003 copy.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	8371  

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT
post #38 of 39 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmerbiker
Long story, sorry, So you never Know when someone will change your day from fun to ugly.

That is a FACT

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #39 of 39 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 5:06 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Besides the usual drops in the dirt on motorcross bikes my 1 and only was in 1978 on a 76 Honda CB550. Coming down a hill around 45 mph, hot summer day,asphalt was rippled from 18 wheelers. A car pulled out in front of me I hit the brakes and slide sideways. Hit one of the ripples and hisided the bike, landed on my head first (thank god for my Bell Star Full Face) Rolled to my back to see the bike coming down on me!!!! My feet hit the seat and tank flipping the bike over me witch drove me into the ground breaking 2 ribs.Road rash on both arms ans one leg but rode home to get a ride to hospital. spent the next two weeks going to worlpool theropy for the road rash.
BTW I still have that Bell Star helmet had it restored and keep it on the shelf to remind me to ALLWAYSwear my helmat

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in