MS Streets & Trips & GPS connection - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 8:25 am Thread Starter

MS Streets & Trips & GPS connection

Hello

I don't use GPS so this may be a stupid question, but is there any connevtion/usefulness between MS Streets & Trips and the software in the GPS units? For example, can you create a route in S&T and have it upload easily into the GPS or the GPS software on the PC?

TIA.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmg08057
Hello

I don't use GPS so this may be a stupid question, but is there any connevtion/usefulness between MS Streets & Trips and the software in the GPS units? For example, can you create a route in S&T and have it upload easily into the GPS or the GPS software on the PC?

TIA.

Yes you can, but not easily.
There is a software out there (easyGSP or GSPeasy, I can't remmember) that can read .mps files from M&S and save in Garmin format.
I try to use once, but I realized that I was fast re-doing the route on Garmin after deciding on it using M&S.
That is the way I use it.
Do all the planning on M&S. When I'm done, just reproduce the same route with in Garmin Map Source and do the transfer.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:00 am

It depends but The short answer is yes, Streets and trips saves its information in its own format. the trick is to get it into a format your GPS can read. Mine, a Lowrance, uses files in the .usr format. So, in order to get my files from Streets and Trips to my GPS, I need to run the file that the software created trough a translator program that converts to the proper format for my GPS. I use GPSBabel for this step. After converting it I need to upload to the GPs. In my case it is through a USB connection. Once the file is loaded, the GPS has no problem displaying and following the route.

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:12 am

Just to cover another angle to this conversation, when you buy a GPS, most come with a PC based application - in the case of Garmin it is MapSource. You can build your route on your PC and easily upload it into your GPS. You can also plan a trip on your GPS and afterwards, download the TRACK to your PC for review and archiving. So, even if you have S&T, if you buy a GPS you will receive a PC-based program to plane and upload trips.
Hope this helps,
Lee
post #5 of 8 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 12:00 am

the new ZUMO interfaces automatically with Google Earth so you can share your trip with your friends afterwards, i don't know if the new version 8.0 for the other Garmin products does the same (I bought a 2730 a couple months ago), but would be pretty neat after a trip to Deal's Gap or something similar...

Or if you didn't like someone, you could send them files of you going to the dentist and back home, tell them it's something really exciting, then wait for them to spend two hours to figure out how to download everything and see your amazing journey...

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, good info here.

Lee, how do you rate the PC-based Mapsource software -v- the MS S&Trips?

Ralph

post #7 of 8 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Hi Ralph,
Sorry, I have never used MS S&T so a couldn't draw a fact-based comparison. I can say that Garmin's Mapsource is basic relative to fancy graphics but has everything necessary to plan trips, archive trip track data, create waypoints and exchange waypoints in both directions meaning, GPS to Mapsource and vice-versa. Have you used a GPS Locator with MS S&T on a PC?
Lee
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

Lee

No I haven't. It would mean having the PC open when I'm driving which doesn't appeal I guess.

MS S&T I find is pretty good though. I use it just about every day, great way of getting an overview, the main roads, appreciation of distances and general routing. Hard to image doing it quicker. It is pretty manual once you get down to turn-by-turn stuff though, as you have to force the route by putting in lots of intermediate points to make the turns as required.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Ralph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in