Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By scala rider
  • 1 Post By scala rider
  • 1 Post By Whiskey
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2016, 11:37 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
scala rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

My name is Michael. I am the forum moderator at Cardo Systems, the motorcycle Bluetooth and DMC company that I'm sure you're all very familiar with. The same company that brought you the scala rider Q Series, G9x, and, of course, the PackTalk. I wanted to introduce myself as the central hub for any of your questions, concerns, gripes, technical issues, and to be a part of the forum myself. I'm not here to sell or really even advertise to anyone. If there's an issue with my being on the forums as a Cardo representative, or if the thread needs to be moved, please let me know.

I'm actually currently on a road trip from Dallas to Denver and back on my 1991 Topaz Red Violet Metallic K75 in just for fun on a whim. This is my 8th trip up to Denver on a bike just this year. Needless to say, it's pretty darned cold. I'm in Trinidad headed up to Denver today once it gets above freezing to beat the snow storm coming in. If anyone has the spine to join me, all are welcome! I will be in the state all week and would like to cruise through the Rockies some if the roads are passable.

Anyway, please feel free to reach out to me for any and all scala rider technical support questions you may have!
scala rider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old Dec 6th, 2016, 5:29 pm
Senior Member
 
Whiskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 646
Garage
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

The mods here will correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as your not advertising you're cool with a regular account. Vendor accounts are available if you do want to advertise.

I, for one, have a G9 and love it. I do have one question for you though. My wife doesn't ride with me often, but I'd love to get her a cheaper headset for when she does. It would be nice if her headset could be paired up with my Bluetooth GPS and she could listen to my music also when we aren't talking. She's less likely to talk to me if I keep her entertained.

What headset would you suggest for her?

2000 R1100RT
Whiskey is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2016, 1:02 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
scala rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

The mods here will correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as your not advertising you're cool with a regular account. Vendor accounts are available if you do want to advertise.

I, for one, have a G9 and love it. I do have one question for you though. My wife doesn't ride with me often, but I'd love to get her a cheaper headset for when she does. It would be nice if her headset could be paired up with my Bluetooth GPS and she could listen to my music also when we aren't talking. She's less likely to talk to me if I keep her entertained.

What headset would you suggest for her?
Hey Whiskey - thanks for the support!

I believe all of the current scala rider products will BT pair to your G9. I am verifying that with the sales director now. However, here is a helpful link with information about how to pair the G9 with other scala rider models.
scala rider is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2016, 5:30 pm
Senior Member
 
Whiskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 646
Garage
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scala rider View Post
Hey Whiskey - thanks for the support!

I believe all of the current scala rider products will BT pair to your G9. I am verifying that with the sales director now. However, here is a helpful link with information about how to pair the G9 with other scala rider models.
I'm sure they will all pair, but what I'm interested in is which, if any, will share my Bluetooth connection to music also.

2000 R1100RT
Whiskey is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 12th, 2016, 11:30 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
scala rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I'm sure they will all pair, but what I'm interested in is which, if any, will share my Bluetooth connection to music also.
The G9 cannot actually use the music sharing feature with another Cardo model besides another G9. Though our technology allows for connection to other brands, that does not extend to the music sharing feature.

Whiskey likes this.
scala rider is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 12th, 2016, 6:21 pm
Senior Member
 
Whiskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 646
Garage
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scala rider View Post
The G9 cannot actually use the music sharing feature with another Cardo model besides another G9. Though our technology allows for connection to other brands, that does not extend to the music sharing feature.

Perfect. Thanks for the info.
scala rider likes this.

2000 R1100RT
Whiskey is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 13th, 2016, 11:24 am
Senior Member
 
mwnahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedford Hts, OH, USA
Posts: 4,215
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Hello Michael
Welcome, It's always good to meet another Michael.

Gripe number 9 about the Cardo Packtalk.

9. Parallel Bike (Music) plus intercom. Intercom becomes useless. Both send a receive voice becomes garbled.

Cardo answer...

"Although we do not have a BMW K1600GTL available for testing, if it is connected same as a "regular" mobile (BT HFP profile), this shouldn’t happen, please have him test the same exact scenario, just this time using any smartphone instead of the BMW audio system, I suspect there is a difference in the behavior of the BMW A2DP (BT music streaming) profile."

I guess my gripe is Get a BMW K1600 and test it.

I love the packtalk intercom function and its noise suppression, but the rest of it (parallel tasking and music sharing) falls short. I really wanted this unit to work.

I wanted this to work so Bad I even eliminated the BT connection to the bike. But had issues with the BMW NAV 5 BT and the intercom.

Cardo answer was please call us. I configured everything with the tech using the most generic configuration as possible using an ipod touch without any BMW products and we could get it to work then lose it. Then it took 2 months to get the units replaced with refurbished units.

Again I love the intercom function. I can turn it on with the button and it stays on and works. But add anything else like A2DP and try music sharing, parallel tasking or the BMW GPS and it breaks.

I use my SENA 20s because I know it will work even though I think the Packtalk intercom itself works better in my opinion when it's working.

Sorry for the gripe but I had a lot of them and you asked for it.

I did notice some "bug fixes" in the last firmware update but riding season is done for me until spring so no testing from me in the near future.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
mwnahas is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2016, 11:11 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
scala rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
Hello Michael
Welcome, It's always good to meet another Michael.

Gripe number 9 about the Cardo Packtalk.

9. Parallel Bike (Music) plus intercom. Intercom becomes useless. Both send a receive voice becomes garbled.

Cardo answer...

"Although we do not have a BMW K1600GTL available for testing, if it is connected same as a "regular" mobile (BT HFP profile), this shouldn’t happen, please have him test the same exact scenario, just this time using any smartphone instead of the BMW audio system, I suspect there is a difference in the behavior of the BMW A2DP (BT music streaming) profile."

I guess my gripe is Get a BMW K1600 and test it.

I love the packtalk intercom function and its noise suppression, but the rest of it (parallel tasking and music sharing) falls short. I really wanted this unit to work.

I wanted this to work so Bad I even eliminated the BT connection to the bike. But had issues with the BMW NAV 5 BT and the intercom.

Cardo answer was please call us. I configured everything with the tech using the most generic configuration as possible using an ipod touch without any BMW products and we could get it to work then lose it. Then it took 2 months to get the units replaced with refurbished units.

Again I love the intercom function. I can turn it on with the button and it stays on and works. But add anything else like A2DP and try music sharing, parallel tasking or the BMW GPS and it breaks.

I use my SENA 20s because I know it will work even though I think the Packtalk intercom itself works better in my opinion when it's working.

Sorry for the gripe but I had a lot of them and you asked for it.

I did notice some "bug fixes" in the last firmware update but riding season is done for me until spring so no testing from me in the near future.

I am gathering the information now. I've already talked with our local BMW dealership and I'm discussing this with our R&D team to get you a real answer promptly. If I need to cruise down to the BMW shop and connect my personal PackTalk to it, then that's what I'll do.

I will have an answer for you ASAP.
scala rider is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2016, 4:34 pm
Senior Member
 
mwnahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedford Hts, OH, USA
Posts: 4,215
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scala rider View Post

I will have an answer for you ASAP.
No hurry, riding season is over for us in NE Ohio. It's like 20 degrees here and heading down.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
mwnahas is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 14th, 2016, 10:51 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
scala rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
No hurry, riding season is over for us in NE Ohio. It's like 20 degrees here and heading down.
The latest v2.5 update should have taken care of your task overlay issues. You can update your module here.

As far as linking up with the BMW's audio and navigation features. This is the information I got from our regional sales director today:


Below is the steps I have used to successfully pair the PACKTALK/SMARTPACK to the factory BMW Bluetooth System:



· Leave bike ignition in OFF position (no power to bike system)

· Pair any desired Bluetooth device (Phone/GPS/Etc.) to Bluetooth Channel 1 (In Standby, press and hold “Mobile” button on headset until red/blue flashing, then scan for headset on the desired device)

· Once Bluetooth Channel 1 successfully pairs to device, power up the BMW system by turning the ignition key

· Put the headset in pairing mode for Bluetooth Channel 2 (In Standby, press and hold “Audio” button until red/blue flashing). This is the small triangle button on the face of the headset.

· Within the Bluetooth Menu on the BMW, select “Helmet 1”, and have it search for a headset.

· PACKTALK/SMARTPACK will show up on the bike’s menu shortly, select it.

· The bike will pair with the headset and automatically begin streaming music shortly thereafter (sometimes instantly, sometimes after a short wait).



Headset is now successfully paired.





Startup sequence (everything off):



· Turn on PACKALK/SMARTPACK headset first, then power up the bike.

· Bike will search for and find headset after a period of time, at which point the music will automatically begin streaming to headset.

Note: If connection is not made and/or music does not automatically start after a period of 30 seconds, toggle the bike’s audio system to play through the bike’s speakers, then back to the headset- this will initiate playback in headset.





Note: Only “Helmet 1” will pair to a non-BMW headset, “Helmet 2” will not.

Note: The headset must be close to the bike when pairing, testing playback. The Bluetooth signal coming from the bike is VERY short range and will break up if the headset get further than where the rider’s head would be.
scala rider is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2016, 3:54 pm
Senior Member
 
mwnahas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedford Hts, OH, USA
Posts: 4,215
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scala rider View Post


The latest v2.5 update should have taken care of your task overlay issues. You can update your module here.

[Done that and I hope you're right, but won't test until next riding season]

As far as linking up with the BMW's audio and navigation features. This is the information I got from our regional sales director today:
Below is the steps I have used to successfully pair the PACKTALK/SMARTPACK to the factory BMW Bluetooth System:


. Leave bike ignition in OFF position (no power to bike system)
· Pair any desired Bluetooth device (Phone/GPS/Etc.) to Bluetooth Channel 1
· Once Bluetooth Channel 1 successfully pairs to device, power up the BMW system by turning the ignition key

[It is Obvious your procedure was not tested on K1600, as you turn on the Bike to turn the GPS on. Power up the bike up and enable BT on GPS, pair that, (when do you pair the GPS to the phone? I usually do that with the headsets off) then enable BT on bike and pair that next.]

· Put the headset in pairing mode for Bluetooth Channel 2 (In Standby, press and hold “Audio” button until red/blue flashing). This is the small triangle button on the face of the headset.

[I concur with putting Bike's A2DP on Channel 2 as Cardo put a special parameter in one of the firmware updates for the Scala 9/9x series for connecting to the BWM systems on Channel 2. The exact opposite advise was given to me on the telephone.]
.
.
.
Startup sequence (everything off):

· Turn on PACKALK/SMARTPACK headset first, then power up the bike.

[Our usual procedure is to establish the intercom then turn on the bike]
.
.
.
Note: If connection is not made and/or music does not automatically start after a period of 30 seconds, toggle the bike’s audio system to play through the bike’s speakers, then back to the headset- this will initiate playback in headset.

[same as turning off then on the bikes's radio/audio]

Note: Only “Helmet 1” will pair to a non-BMW headset, “Helmet 2” will not.

[Known issue, that's why we want parallel tasking and sharing]

Note: The headset must be close to the bike when pairing, testing playback. The Bluetooth signal coming from the bike is VERY short range and will break up if the headset get further than where the rider’s head would be.

[streaming range not a concern here but it should reconnect when you get back to and on the bike.]

It's easy to say you tested at a dealer or what ever. In past updates you could get things to work and say your done. But once on the road for a long trip you run into problems such as the BT searching for BT connections after the frist time it gets and audio turn by turn instruction from the GPS, or when you try to connect to the partner intercom and it says it's unavailable. Then you have to power off one or both helmets to reconnect then then power off the radio on turn that back on. Those are the things you can't test in your living room.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
mwnahas is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 19th, 2016, 11:37 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
scala rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
It is Obvious your procedure was not tested on K1600, as you turn on the Bike to turn the GPS on. Power up the bike up and enable BT on GPS, pair that, (when do you pair the GPS to the phone? I usually do that with the headsets off) then enable BT on bike and pair that next.
It is our understanding that all current BMW audio packages are equipped with identical software. We were under the impression that the nav system could be turned on and off without turning the bike on. The reason this step was included in the instructions is because we want the scala rider module looking for and finding less competing bluetooth signals. In other words, the clear priority should be the phone or GPS and not the bike (which will be connected on channel 2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
I concur with putting Bike's A2DP on Channel 2 as Cardo put a special parameter in one of the firmware updates for the Scala 9/9x series for connecting to the BWM systems on Channel 2. The exact opposite advise was given to me on the telephone.
The reason we connect the bike on channel 2 is because BMW's audio system sends out a continuous BT audio signal, regardless if music is playing or not. Therefore, if it were to be connected on channel 1, the bike's signal would take priority over anything else you have connected on channel 2. This is actually reversible if you prefer to have the bike on channel 1 (for whatever reason) if you go into the Cardo SmartSet app and change the selection under 'A2DP/IC Priority'. However, if the only BT input you're interested in is the bike's (and no phone or GPS), then feel free to connect to channel 1. This may be why you got seemingly conflicting advice from the Cardo tech support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
It's easy to say you tested at a dealer or what ever. In past updates you could get things to work and say your done. But once on the road for a long trip you run into problems such as the BT searching for BT connections after the frist time it gets and audio turn by turn instruction from the GPS, or when you try to connect to the partner intercom and it says it's unavailable. Then you have to power off one or both helmets to reconnect then then power off the radio on turn that back on. Those are the things you can't test in your living room.
As a fellow rider, I understand your frustration when trying to connect systems that don't fit together perfectly, especially out on a trip a million miles from home. We're here to help find solutions to issues like these. We are aware BMW customers may want to use other systems such as scala rider products, however, BMW designed their audio systems to only function properly 100% with BMW audio products. Even with the intentionally locked software configurations of the BMW audio packages, we have been able to develop a known workaround with what has shown to be a welcomed and working method.

We appreciate you taking the time to illustrate what exactly fits your preferences as a customer. We're real people with real motorbikes just like you. We're listening and applying feedback like this into our newest updates and products.

-scala rider

Last edited by scala rider; Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:42 pm.
scala rider is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 21st, 2016, 5:57 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
scala rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...


Last edited by scala rider; Dec 22nd, 2016 at 12:58 pm.
scala rider is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 2:41 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
scala rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Re: Hello From Cardo Systems! On a vintage K75...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1rob
I was trying to update our G9's software, on the connected device box it lists that my device is up to date. Your version is 2.1. But in reading you messages on the BMW Luxury touring site you mention the newest version is 2.5
Any Ideas?

Mark
Hello, Mark, and thanks for reaching out! Sorry to put your business out there, but our account isn't able to send PMs.

Version 2.5 software only applies to the PackTalk and SmartPack modules. The version numbers aren't actually related across our models, we just use the same number system. Version 2.1 is the correct and most recent version for your G9.

Thanks again!

-scala rider
scala rider is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comm Units: Sena vs. Cardo BeemerBob Intercom, CB, & 2-Way Radios 6 Sep 2nd, 2014 1:21 am
Cardo Scala G4 Power set - simple qiestion and strange answer Sotys RT Series 16 Feb 29th, 2012 4:16 pm
Pairing Cardo G4 to BMW R1200RT Radio Terabytes RT Series 2 May 3rd, 2011 10:32 am
Vintage Events in the Mid-Atlantic region the_rocketman Bike Talk 0 Mar 26th, 2008 11:04 am
Systems 4 Helmet visor. harrowbmw Australia, New Zealand, and AsiaPac 4 Oct 30th, 2007 4:44 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome