Riding after an accident - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 8Likes
  • 8 Post By iride4u

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Dec 2nd, 2016, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Riding after an accident

I originally posted this in the K1600 forum. I think that it is serious enough to repost here.
Just this last week as I was riding home after a detail I came across an accident. This time it was a SUV and a pick up truck. The driver of the pick up truck was hit from behind and was suffering from whip lash and a closed head injury. He was just sitting by the side of the road dazed and a little dizzy.
He refused medical attention from the responding paramedics and planed to drive home. He should not have been allowed to drive.
I bring this up because twice in the past two years I have been involved or seen an accident where the riders helmet hit the ground. In my case someone helped me up and I rode for 10 miles before I fully regained consciousness. In the case of my friend he was not feeling well and sat down on a bench and passed out about 10 minutes later.
In booth cases the rider acted coherent. I suggest that anytime that a riders helmet hits the ground that they do not try to ride for at least a half an hour and get checked out by trained medical personal first.
zippy_gg, ibbones, bob1811 and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Dec 4th, 2016, 7:35 am

Re: Riding after an accident

I think it seems natural for most of us to over estimate our abilities after a shake up like that. Even if there was no physical harm the adrenaline rush from a close call will affect your judgement. You are right time out should be mandatory after something like that.

Gerhard

post #3 of 3 Old Dec 28th, 2016, 8:44 am

Re: Riding after an accident

I lost a friend several years back because of this. He fell off his bike for no apparent reason, call it a lapse in awareness. He and the bike took a very mild slide down the road and each got a few scrape's. This all transpired about 2 blocks from the local teams center.
Of course he had adrenaline rush and waved off a ride to the ER two blocks away. He rode home, laid down on the sofa and promptly became unresponsive. By the time he was transported now 20 miles to the ER he had bled out from a laceration of the spleen.
I always recommend that ride to the ER in any fall off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in