F650GS Dakar - good general purpose bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Question F650GS Dakar - good general purpose bike?

I was thinking of selling my K1200 LTC and purchasing a R1200 GS Adverture, but the GSA will not meet my touring needs. I've decided to keep the LT for a while longer, but I'd like something for around town, short mountain rides, and logging roads.

I thought about a used R1150 GS, but for the same price I can get the F 650 GS Dakar. If you own one or have owned one, please share your opinions. Is it a good trail bike (not rock climber), good around town, o.k. for combo touring and rough road trips?

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 3:46 pm

I'm in the same boat you are. The other option I'm wondering about is one of the new F800's in a GS or Dakar version. I had heard some rumors about it, don't know if it's coming soon or not though.
Can't wait to hear from some of the singles owners.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

I'm not holding my breadth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
I'm in the same boat you are. The other option I'm wondering about is one of the new F800's in a GS or Dakar version. I had heard some rumors about it, don't know if it's coming soon or not though.
I thought about waiting to see the F800 Dakar, but it's not showing up on the BMW site, while the G 650 X's do (without price). Also, I'm thinking that bugs should be worked out of the F650 Dakar.

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:21 pm

You're right about the 800, I don't think we'll see that for a while.
I like the 650, just don't know if I want something that small.
I keep leaning toward the Moto Guzzi Griso as a run around bike, although not for off road use at all. I'm torn and I'm about at my limit of toys right now or I'd get both... ah.... Lotto take me away!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 1:22 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Don't wait for an 800 GS version. The rumors are just that. BMW just anounced three new 650's for next year. A seriuos dirt version, a super moto and an updated version of the current 650GS...

The super moto looks like my next toy...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #6 of 15 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 1:24 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
I was thinking of selling my K1200 LTC and purchasing a R1200 GS Adverture, but the GSA will not meet my touring needs. I've decided to keep the LT for a while longer, but I'd like something for around town, short mountain rides, and logging roads.

I thought about a used R1150 GS, but for the same price I can get the F 650 GS Dakar. If you own one or have owned one, please share your opinions. Is it a good trail bike (not rock climber), good around town, o.k. for combo touring and rough road trips?

What you're describing is perfect for a Dakar. It's a great trail bike (pretty light and 21" front wheel) has decent comfort for day rides and has ABS and heated grips for around town type riding. The current Dakars have twin plugs, fuel injection and counter balancers so they run pretty smooth and have good reliability...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #7 of 15 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 5:59 am

Quote:

I'll be the contrarian here

My lovely bride had an F650GS Dakar for a year or so. Loved it! (license plate was "A HOOT" ). Nonetheless, she readily traded it in on an R1150GS, in large part because it was great in town, but wasn't much of a tourer -- very unpleasant to her at 70+; primary issues were heavy vibration and having a tough time keeping up with me, 2-up w/son on the LT.

So, the Dakar is a great bike, but you *really* need to test ride one the way you'll use it, in order to know whether it will completely satisfy you.

HTH!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Nov 6th, 2006 at 9:47 am.
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:02 am

Thumbs up

The Dakar and the F650GS are both excellent bikes for around town and light off road adventure. You should take a test ride on both to see which fits you best. The Dakar is real tall. Adding a Corbin saddle improves the comfort level 10 fold. They are obviously not going to be as smooth and comfortable as your LT, but for what you want a light easy handling bike for, they are close to ideal. And, since BMW has dropped the price on the F650GS by nearly $1400.00, they are quite affordable.

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #9 of 15 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:46 am

There was a black F650GS for sale at Street and Trail in Martinez, GA - consignment. The sales manager, Alan Moffit, said he was trying to sell it for a customer that purchased a bike from them and he did not want to take it in as trade. It looked like it had a lowered seat, but I could be wrong. Think he was asking $4500.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:59 am

Quote:

The Dakar is tall but makes a great bike regardless. My Boss has right at 50k miles on his 2002 F650 Dakar and has had very little issues. I have a blast riding it when I do while in Florida.

Either one once you change out the aluminum sprockets and add a chain oiler will give you years of real good service and get somewhere between 60-75 MPG depending on how you ride and if you change out the front sprocket to a taller (larger) one or not, I can not recommend the F650 Dakar enough, I came >< close to getting one just for running around up here, but decided I have two many bikes now to insure. Keep in mind it is tall you can still put your feet down though, the F650 is shorter and easier to maintain

Two friends of mine Bob and Vicki one on the f650 and the other on the f650 Dakar did Prudhoe Bay AK to Key west in 4 days 22.5 hours on them, then the Dakar went on to get shipped back up to Prudhoe bay and rode to South America in under 40 days for a fund raising event which happens to slip my mind at the moment.

You'll love one, if anything for its fuel mileage!

BTW My Boss just rode his to N.M and back
there is f650.com to go check out for more information

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Last edited by tmgs; Nov 6th, 2006 at 12:07 pm.
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Quote:
this from http://www.bmwma.com/index.php

"Pricing has been set for the new 2007 F800S, F800ST and K1200R Sport. Call today to reserve yours, delivery expected in March/April 2007."

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks for your views

I sat on a new Dakar before posting my request for input. It fits well. The F650 GS was not as comforable. The sales manager mentioned the buzz over 70 mph, and it was confirmed here. Otherwise, it sounds like a good commuter, groomed- trail bike, and with some modifications/farkles it'll work on a XC trip (that's not what I currently have in mind).

I'll see if the dealer will let me test ride it up to mountain crest (unlikely). However, I think an impressive ride is what it will take for me to part with $10K. Thanks again for posting your views.

Regards,
John

post #13 of 15 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Forget the 650 and pick up a used R1150GS - a great bike.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #14 of 15 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:39 am

Re: F650GS Dakar - good general purpose bike?

Whilst 1150 is a great bike and a good tourer especially the adventure with different rubber,the dakar especially is great at long distance on suitable roads or dirt trails at the drop of a hat.
regarding the engine vibe issue some refer to in my experience working on many of these it is actually not inherent with the model but more due to engine mounting bolts getting LOOSE.

Like all big singles and some twins far too many overlook this basic maintenance point and bad mouth the bike.

My experience of 650's was go the Dakar the xtra travel and different geometry with a 21 inch wheel and more seat padding it is far superior to the std GS model.The ABS system on F650 is the best of BMW systems as well,basically you dont know it's there till you realise you really needed it at some point when it activated
post #15 of 15 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 9:40 am

Re: F650GS Dakar - good general purpose bike?

Wow….you revived a thread that was almost 2 years old. Ok my turn. Best all round bike built today…..Suzuki DL650 (Wee Storm) Meets all your need including log distant touring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in