Reading from Rock made me do it - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:17 am Thread Starter

Reading from Rock made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
I ride to the store with no helmet, t-shirt+ shorts at over 100mph all the time. Tell Valhalla I am coming !!
Live it today you ain't promised tomorrow.
Rock

It is so refreshing to see someone on this board that doesn't wear ATGATT. I personally do not wear a helmet unless it is required by law or in the race car(rules you know). I know both sides of the argument. I am an American and therefore should be allowed to choose. If we flamed somebody every time they they stated that they wore a helmet, like some do when somebody states that they don't, we wouldn't have time to ride. I am personally glad you have the brass to tell us how you really feel.
Big A$$ fireproof suit is on.
Just that it's shorts & a t-shirt.
INCOMING!!!!!

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 9:28 am

Smile good for the soul

Confession is always good for the soul!
I am glad we have a choice in most things in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
Quote:
I ride to the store with no helmet, t-shirt+ shorts at over 100mph all the time. Tell Valhalla I am coming !!
Rock

It is so refreshing to see someone on this board that doesn't wear ATGATT. I personally do not wear a helmet unless it is required by law or in the race car(rules you know). I know both sides of the argument. I am an American and therefore should be allowed to choose. If we flamed somebody every time they they stated that they wore a helmet, like some do when somebody states that they don't, we wouldn't have time to ride. I am personally glad you have the brass to tell us how you really feel.
INCOMING!!!!!

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!

Last edited by johnrehder; Nov 5th, 2006 at 9:29 am. Reason: grammer
post #3 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 12:14 pm

The fact that you even read Rock's post, let alone concur with them should frighten you. Rock has one major advantage over you, and I think it's only fair that you know this. Concerning "Uncle Rock", heaven doesn't want him, and hell's afraid he'll take over! So you see...he's basically immortal.

I thought you should know.

(Hey Rock! )

post #4 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 3:14 pm

You might get yerself a bad name agreeing with me.
But At least they haven't started the Ignore Rock List yet Ay Joe.
You'll find a lot of good info on this site and a large number of people that think it's okay if you break the laws that they do, but not the other ones.
That part I don't get??
Rock
post #5 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 9:01 pm

Quote:
...You'll find a lot of good info on this site and a large number of people that think it's okay if you break the laws that they do, but not the other ones.
That part I don't get??
Rock
(holding up my hand...)

I'm guilty of that. I admit it. Still thinking about it...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #6 of 27 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The fact that you even read Rock's post, let alone concur with them should frighten you. Rock has one major advantage over you, and I think it's only fair that you know this. Concerning "Uncle Rock", heaven doesn't want him, and hell's afraid he'll take over! So you see...he's basically immortal.

I thought you should know.

(Hey Rock! )

Thats a genius post! Too funny.

F
post #7 of 27 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Quote:
Rock

INCOMING!!!!!

Here's some "refreshment" for you Mr. race car driver - and he was wearing a helmet:

Dale Earnhardt was killed on the final turn of the final lap when his No. 3 Chevrolet appeared to brush Sterling Marlin's Dodge, causing Earnhardt's car to swerve sharply to the right.

Earnhardt's car, traveling at roughly 180 mph, then was struck on the side by Ken Schrader's car before slamming head-on into the outside wall. Doctors said he probably died instantly of head injuries.

My best friend - and the best man at my wedding - is an ER doc. He hates motorcycles - calls them "murder cycles". He is still my best friend even though I think his position is a little out there.

Go spend some time at the local trauma unit and watch the carnage when a helmetless motorcycle rider comes in. It will change your opinion about "freedom of choice" when it comes to wearing a helmet. It certainly changed mine - and I'm as Libertarian as you can get.

Do I care what you wear when you ride? Heck no - as long as you have good health insurance and don't expect your already overwhelmed fellow tax payers to ante up millions of dollars for extended care for your head wounds - if you don't have the good fortune to help the gene pool - and die outright.

Your view is selfish, arrogant, immature and ignorant.

Where's my Nomex suit when I need it?

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 6th, 2006 at 8:26 pm.
post #8 of 27 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
It certainly changed mine - and I'm as Libertarian as you can get.

Do I care what you wear when you ride? Heck no - as long as you have good health insurance and don't expect your already overwhelmed fellow tax payers to ante up millions of dollars for extended care for your head wounds - if you don't have the good fortune to help the gene pool - and die outright.

Your view is selfish, arrogant, immature and ignorant.

Where's my Nomex suit when I need it?
See this is the type of thing I'm talkin about .
Well Mr Ride More Safely, Wasn't it less than six months ago your woman almost got crushed by your bike falling over? On account of the fact that you were out joy riding in the cop car for speeding, with her aboard??
Endangering not only yourself but your passenger as well.
Do I have you mixed up with someone else? If so I prostrate myself before your mercy.
Rock
PS the first medic on the scene determined #3 died of neck being broken by his helmet. Means nothing at 180mph (I only know this because certain MC rights groups were going to attemp using it. Stupid single mindedness on their part)
post #9 of 27 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Quote:
You might get yerself a bad name agreeing with me.
But At least they haven't started the Ignore Rock List yet Ay Joe.
You'll find a lot of good info on this site and a large number of people that think it's okay if you break the laws that they do, but not the other ones.
That part I don't get??
Rock
Hey Rock,

I just finished getting caught up with the reading of this (and other threads) on the site, and I picked up your PM. I already replied to you, but I'll post a related comment or two here, publicly:

I appreciate the forum (no pun intended) that we have on this site, where we can cuss and discuss our questions and viewpoints. I appreciate the help and the feedback I've received over the past year+, and I'm frequently reminded that -- while we all share an affinity for BMW bikes -- it's interesting and enlightening to ponder the different backgrounds and different perspectives we bring to this site.

For the record, I appreciate what you have done for the rights of motorcyclists, and while we aren't going to agree on everything, you need to know that you have my respect. So there.

I'm all veklempt now. Anyone got a hanky?

---------------------
I am concerned, however, by this part of Joe's reply to your post:
"(Hey Rock! )"
Is that you on the left or on the right? Either way:

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 6:10 am

YOU GUYS need to read "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton! Interesting reading to say the least about public opinion and facts!

As far as you wanting or not wanting to wear a helmet I think you have the right to chose, only allow me to wear my helmet. I learned the hard way, after removing the rear glass out of a "Rambler" many years ago, with my head, and able to stick my fingers in the holes in the helmet afterwards made me a believer. I will wear a helmet regardless of the laws. I also believe that when it's your turn it wont matter if you have on a helmet or not. One thing for sure is no one gets out alive.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #11 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 8:27 am

Thumbs up Great thread!

Uncle Rock . . . weeding out one hypocrite at a time. I love it!

Mr. Miller . . . remove foot, rinse, and repeat!

Howard . . . what? A man can't kiss another man? On the cheek, none the less?

Floyd . . . I hardly doubt than anyone reading "State of Fear" would change a single word in this thread. Just my opinion, of course.
post #12 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:03 am

Since you put your suit on, I hate to see it go waste

I am an American and therefore should be allowed to choose
So, what about the Canadians or the Estonians or the Egyptians?

Why should it just be Americans? What have you got against the rest of the world that you don't think they should be allowed to choose as well. What makes you so special? Just cause you were born here? I don't think so. If you want to stand up for the right to choose then you need to stand up because you are a thinking creature who is capable of making as many stupid choices as you want , not because you are an American.
post #13 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:23 am

Quote:
See this is the type of thing I'm talkin about .
Well Mr Ride More Safely, Wasn't it less than six months ago your woman almost got crushed by your bike falling over? On account of the fact that you were out joy riding in the cop car for speeding, with her aboard??
Endangering not only yourself but your passenger as well.
Do I have you mixed up with someone else? If so I prostrate myself before your mercy.
Rock
PS the first medic on the scene determined #3 died of neck being broken by his helmet. Means nothing at 180mph (I only know this because certain MC rights groups were going to attemp using it. Stupid single mindedness on their part)
...and that's exactly reason the HANS device is now worn by all responsible drivers today. If Ironhead was wearing one he might still be with us. Just like Cal Niday. He was the first driver to wear a "modern" helmet in the 1955 Indy 500. On the 170th lap, Niday crashed hard into a wall. He credited the helmet with saving him from more serious injury. He kept racing until 1988.

We WERE talking about the difference between your brain slamming into a nice soft piece of styrofoam at a survivable 152G's versus asphalt at 800G's. I absolutely defend your freedom to choose whatever rate of deceleration you prefer - one will cost YOU a couple of hundred dollars - and the other we all get to pay for.... one way or another. That's my one and only point.

How you equate driving 10 mph over the limit in the middle of the freakin' desert along with a 70 mph wind gust blowing over an unattended bike to helmet safety is a real s t r e t c h. S**t happens.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:01 am

Quote:
PS the first medic on the scene determined #3 died of neck being broken by his helmet.
....and he was wrong. Helmet had nothing to do with it.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #15 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:47 am

helmets

I almost always wear the gear but then again...a short hop or a sidecar ride and I may skip it. I't should be our choice. And all the bullshit about motorcyclists being a burden on our health care system is a joke. We are a miniscule percentage. As soon as all the two pack a day smokers and 100+ pound over weight fast food junkies agree to guarentee their health care costs from their upcoming coronary and stroke...then we can talk.

My .02 worth.

Ron
post #16 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

RE Ron

I was an EMT for over 10 years. I have seen many accidents. Both from cars and motorcycles. This is before the doctors get them after we have done the initial clean up. How many times have you held the hands of a dying person or been in a trauma room? I have had to deal with more stupid people hurting other people without vehicles. My perspective is that "I" choose not to wear a helmet. I can hear stuff that somebody wearing a helmet can't. I can brush my hair back by just lowering the windshield a bit. I am happiest that way. I completely support anybody who choses to wear a helmet. That is their choice. Just don't sit on your high and mighty chair and tell me how to live. I have health insurance with double coverage if I am in my car or on my bike. I will leave all the social programs for those who are here illegally to run up our tax bill. (Remember I live in minnesota)Our last accident would have ended with my S.O. with a broken neck had she been wearing a helmet when we were rearended, per the statement of the emergency room surgeon. Only tendon damage without it. I love to be able to live and to feel alive.

I do not hope to change your opinion. Just hoping that those that would be so pompous would also lighten up a little.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #17 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Quote:

How you equate driving 10 mph over the limit in the middle of the freakin' desert along with a 70 mph wind gust blowing over an unattended bike to helmet safety is a real s t r e t c h. S**t happens.
BREAKIN THE LAW BREAKIN THE LAW
It's okay to break the laws you deem alright, (Just as I had said in my early post) but not others'
Justify it any way you please, it is still breakin the law.
Rock
post #18 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:18 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
So is 115 in a 45, but then you already admitted that.

We all have our own quirks, and justifications for them. It's when we try and impose these quirks on others that the problems start.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 27 Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Everyone is assuming one thing: if you do not wear a helmet and you have an accident, the accident is a one bike, one person situation. Whether or not you are responsible for your own mischief, that is your choice. BUT one thing is certain, if you have a head injury without a helmet, it will be expensive.

I wear a helmet and armor. I will NOT ride with a rider without a helmet - unless there is plenty of distance between. Reason: if your bike touches that helmetless riders bike, for any reason, you are subject to possible litigation for cause. At a local bike club meeting which has an insurance agent speak monthly, he emphasized the liability of being the "other" rider. I immediately took out an umbrella policy to cover such possiblity.
post #20 of 27 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 6:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadler
I will NOT ride with a rider without a helmet - unless there is plenty of distance between. Reason: if your bike touches that helmetless riders bike, for any reason, you are subject to possible litigation for cause. At a local bike club meeting which has an insurance agent speak monthly, he emphasized the liability of being the "other" rider. I immediately took out an umbrella policy to cover such possiblity.
Yeah I would prefer people spent the time and money to learn how to ride. AKA Don't run into me!
Just like the person said they learned their helmet lesson going through the back window of a rambler (or whatever make it was) How fast was the Rambler going in reverse when they hit the bike?
Rock
post #21 of 27 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Our last accident would have ended with my S.O. with a broken neck had she been wearing a helmet when we were rearended, per the statement of the emergency room surgeon. Only tendon damage without it.
Barney, please tell me you're not one of those who believe that you're safer without a helmet.

Bruce Hodges
post #22 of 27 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Quote:
BREAKIN THE LAW BREAKIN THE LAW
It's okay to break the laws you deem alright, (Just as I had said in my early post) but not others'
Rock
Well, OK.

I am a sinner. Frequently.

Did it about 30 times last Saturday on the way from Tucson to Phoenix for the Cycle World show, and about 30 times on the way back. With 5 other Bimmer riders. We're all going to hell.

Whew Rock, that's a lot of confession for one day. But you made me do it.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 27 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 2:22 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
.... You'll find a lot of good info on this site and a large number of people that think it's okay if you break the laws that they do, but not the other ones. That part I don't get??
Rock
Ight! (right on)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #24 of 27 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 2:31 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
....Howard . . . what? A man can't kiss another man? On the cheek, none the less?....
Wow!....and when I signed up, I just thought I was going to learn about BMW's!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #25 of 27 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
Barney, please tell me you're not one of those who believe that you're safer without a helmet.

Bruce Hodges
No Bruce, I never said it was safer in all cirmcumstances. There are some situations where the hearing improvement with out it has saved my bacon. Also the added weight of the helmet can cause more damage to the neck in an accident.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

post #26 of 27 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 7:52 am

Quote:
We're all going to hell.
Why are they all practicing hypocrits? Is that one of the groups Jesus told to beat with the Pharisee's? Speeders and oh Yeah you helmet choice guys.
I just added the part in red, I got enough bad shit on my side of the scale without becoming a cult leader
Rock
post #27 of 27 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 9:20 am

Quote:
Why are they all practicing hypocrits? Is that one of the groups Jesus told to beat with the Pharisee's? Speeders and oh Yeah you helmet choice guys.
I just added the part in red, I got enough bad shit on my side of the scale without becoming a cult leader
Rock
Fughedaboud the Nomex - where's my Nike's, black warm up suit and purple blanket? (and helmet...) I gotta' catch a comet!
"I am not naive. I am quite aware that what I am saying here will to many, if not most, sound like I should be locked up as a mental case at the least. However, that awareness cannot stand in the way of my simple acknowledgment of these facts for the sake of those who might go with us, and also for the sake of those who desire to be a contributor to our demise or exit from this world."

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doh!.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	8116  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in