n ga makes fox news - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

n ga makes fox news

high speed riders passing on double yellows in blind curves get us the news!

http://tinyurl.com/y35pug

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Last edited by tmgs; Nov 3rd, 2006 at 7:24 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:12 pm

Yep!!! See it every weekend...unfortunately, squids are givin us a bad name and terrorizing folks as well.

What ever happened to "being responsible" and respecting others?
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
Yep!!! See it every weekend...unfortunately, squids are givin us a bad name and terrorizing folks as well.

What ever happened to "being responsible" and respecting others?

hahahaha your kidding right!

seriously though they now have a camera setup on 129 often like they do on deals gap to take pictures of bikes so they can buy the pics. N Ga roads are now popular everywhere, this news team just made it more so popular

Tom

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 9:51 am

No Tom he's not kidding!

You can count me in on the list of those who don't approve of irresponsible behavior by motorcycle riders.

A year or so ago one of our own forum members was hit by one of those sportbikes,
it broke his wife's leg, how do you think he feels about it?

On my recent trip, 24 states and 7500 miles,
the scariest moment was when on Skyline drive I rounded a corner to see a GT coming at me while passing two cars in a blind corner over the double yellow,
I moved to the far right and he passed between me and the cars at a high rate of speed,
If I could have possibly caught him, I'd have put him into intensive care myself.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:45 am

OK I won't say I told you so, or that I am trying to tell you so. Oh well.. what the hell.. YES I WILL!!!!!
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=deals

People better straighten up (JOE ) before either the roads are outlawed or the bikes are.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

Last edited by KMC1; Nov 4th, 2006 at 10:50 am. Reason: Added Smiley face
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:29 am

Red face I'm responsible now, but

... I was a screamin fool the first two years of riding (what can I say? slow learner). 16 to 20 years old is pretty invincible time. Remember?

I just hope my kids live through that stage. Speaking for myself, I'm lucky I did. ... a few friends of mine did not.

We should old do our part by playing the old fart role when chatting with younger riders. Stories and photos are good.

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 11:41 am

oops and BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
... We should old do our part by playing the old fart role when chatting with younger riders. Stories and photos are good.
I meant "We all should do our part ...

BTW, do you think a manditory sport bike course with shock videos and photos would help? I remember that driver's ed, with such video, did help ... at least for a while. Maybe annual re-education would work.

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Well you can take your bike to the Dragon in a big 4x4 with a heavy pipe push bumper.
Then when your not riding, you can go out and kill a few of them with the truck. Paint squid crusher on the doors, hey they crossed the line kill them.
Oh the guys going 5 over are breaking the law also, kill them too!
Rock
I answer replies but I'll be one of the dead ones, cause I break the speed limit everyday
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Buncha hankie wringers... ride yer own ride.

The double yellow is engineered so that a slow cage or truck can pass "safely".

I sit higher, can see farther and have the HP/weight ratio that allows me to make a SAFE pass in as little as a dozen bike lengths.

Blind passing of multiple vehicles is bad...Duh.

The double yellow in and of itself is no measure of where a bike may safely pass.
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
The double yellow in and of itself is no measure of where a bike may safely pass.
Stop it Keith, you're starting to make sense such that I may just have to agree with you.

But the simple truth of "don't be an idiot, but learn to judge things for yourself" just doesn't seem to work while we continue to cater to the least-common denominator. In the end it just lowers the standards and skills for everyone and turns us into a nation of whining, lazy, self-serving pansies. Or is that to anti-liberal of a thing to say?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Dang,

Stardate Log, 11-4-06 1654 hrs.

Ken and Keith agree.

Somebody save this thread!
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 7:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Or close it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
No Tom he's not kidding!
it was not meant that way, it was sarcasm not dissrespect we all know there are a ton of very irresponsible riders
Quote:

You can count me in on the list of those who don't approve of irresponsible behavior by motorcycle riders.

A year or so ago one of our own forum members was hit by one of those sportbikes,
it broke his wife's leg, how do you think he feels about it?

On my recent trip, 24 states and 7500 miles,
the scariest moment was when on Skyline drive I rounded a corner to see a GT coming at me while passing two cars in a blind corner over the double yellow,
I moved to the far right and he passed between me and the cars at a high rate of speed,
If I could have possibly caught him, I'd have put him into intensive care myself.
that happens alot in the mountains, there lies the problem,
the sad thing is, there are few vehicles that won't pull over to let you safely pass, ok more than a few but it is not as bad as you would think. It is usually the locals that pull over to let you get around them, the ones that don't are usually from fl or out of area tags, i think some from the flat lands are jsut scared to pull off the edge some which me not liking heights understands

come on back up some time, i'll take ya on some less traveled roads you will enjoy!

Tom

Tom

post #14 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Well you can take your bike to the Dragon in a big 4x4 with a heavy pipe push bumper.
Then when your not riding, you can go out and kill a few of them with the truck. Paint squid crusher on the doors, hey they crossed the line kill them.
Oh the guys going 5 over are breaking the law also, kill them too!
Rock
I answer replies but I'll be one of the dead ones, cause I break the speed limit everyday

I'll tell ya what, there have been a few of those cases already!

you cna have a heck of a good time up here and not piss people off, heck most do not mind getting passed, it's just where and how fast they get passed that seems to make the difference

Tom

Tom

post #15 of 15 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Quote:
Buncha hankie wringers... ride yer own ride..
That's excellent advice. I follow it daily; the problem is, with guys coming at me across a double-yellow I'm forced to ride THEIR ride -- as in, take evasive action to avoid an accident they don't seem to mind causing. I know what being young and stupid is about, but they don't... and they're endangering my life and my passenger's while they are dong it.

Quote:
I sit higher, can see farther and have the HP/weight ratio that allows me to make a SAFE pass in as little as a dozen bike lengths...
Agree with you again on this, but I won't pass on a double yellow. I'm just not in that big of a hurry. I have and will exceed the posted speed limit from time to time, but it's not going to involve crossing a double-yellow.

Quote:
Correct again... but it is the law.

And so you don't think I'm not aware that I'm being hypocritical, I know I am and I admitted it, above (i.e., I admit to exceeding the speed limit). I guess the difference is I've drawn a line for myself -- it's double yellow! -- that I'm not willing to cross, figuratively and literally.

This topic has been cussed and discussed many times here, and I think that's a good thing. I learn something every time I read or engage in one of these discussions. Until then, I'll keep scratching my head at why it's necessary to do these things together:
  • go 100+ mph
  • while crossing a double-yellow
  • on a public road, where innocent participants can be hurt or killed
My suggestion (FWIW) is to do that type of riding on a track. Make some rough estimates of the cost of injuring or killing someone and then take that amount of $$ and apply it to track days.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in