new textiles will make great riding gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:18 am Thread Starter

new textiles will make great riding gear

My boss and I went to the textile expo for the last couple of days seeing the new goodies on the market and coming out soon

There are some amazing new products out, watch for some cool riding gear coming out soon.

There is a new waterproof breathable material. They had a piece as the bottom of a large plastic container with an aquarium pump under it, the air bubbles were flowing up through the material yet not one drop of water came though. This looks to be far superior to Gore-Tex they can laminate this to almost any material as well now.

(Processes are changing and changing quickly to say the least)

There is also a basically knife proof and abrasion proof material. The abrasion is much higher than current textiles and higher than many leathers.
Face it good leather is going to be a tough cookie to beat for abrasion standards for some time yet, keep in mind I said _GOOD_ leather.

There are some very flexible stretch materials that look awesome as well that have abrasion resistance that tops most textiles that is not that far out of price range, Iím thinking Kevlar is going to be seen less and less in the clothing line soon, some of these products are said to be much easier to sew and laminate with other products for water resistance or thermal materials, of which by the way I have one sample that has a R3 rating that is very thin I bet this would make good outerwear thermal barrier.
Is Thinsulate going to have some good competition here?

The products to make better bags, seat covering, rainwear, heated gear and cooling gear are changing at a fast rate. Needing rain covers for bags is a thing of the past. Even with our Urathane coated Ballistic Nylons and Cordura's we have now that do not need a rain cover (which is what I use) products are still getting better. The waterproof zippers are becoming priced better designed better and easier to get, even for custom applications.

There are some other products being changed as well like Velcro, I have a nice sample here, it cannot be sewn yet though or I would have ordered it for our bags here.

Anyhow look forward to some great riding and motorcycle gear in the future, gear that has more flexible uses, lighter is less bulky and keeps you warm or cool better.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Last edited by tmgs; Nov 3rd, 2006 at 7:47 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 3:52 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Excellent. Thanks for the report, Tom. Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 4th, 2006, 8:33 am

Thumbs up Let's hope the apparel designers take notice

Thanks Tom. Interesting report. It sounds like these materials are easier to work with than Kevlar (my current apparel of choice) and much tougher than Cordura. If the price is right, popular apparel manufacturers might take notice.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2007, 2:59 pm

Materials

As a Textile Technologist--I read your article with interest. You are absolutely right--Gortex has been the standard for air-permiable water proofing, but just as soon as someone else produced a porous material that allows the smaller air molecules of air to pass but block the larger water molecules, there are several manufacturers at a much lesser cost than Goretex.
Kevlar is hard to beat. This Aramid fiber-Like Nomex--is tuff to cut and sew, but that is why it resist tearing and abrasion so well.

Les
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 8:11 am

When Avaialble

So Tom.
I need to replace my OLYMPIA Air Flow pants and my Gerbing Heated jacket, which I destroyed in my crash last month. When do you think some of these new products might hit the market. Should I wait or just bite the bullet and order something now?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #6 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 9:18 am

Tom, you know that the Cascade Extreme did not work as promised, so this info sounds promising. I STILL NEED A NEW SUIT

Keep us iinformed.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #7 of 10 Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
but just as soon as someone else produced a porous material that allows the smaller air molecules of air to pass but block the larger water molecules
air molecules ???? What air molecules? Last I heard air was a mixture.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 7:57 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Could you explain this a little more? I am curious as I have invested in the Cascade Extreme Pants and love them for riding. I would like to know why they are no good for sliding?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Tom, you know that the Cascade Extreme did not work as promised, so this info sounds promising. I STILL NEED A NEW SUIT

Keep us iinformed.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 9:28 am

Sliding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Could you explain this a little more? I am curious as I have invested in the Cascade Extreme Pants and love them for riding. I would like to know why they are no good for sliding?

Thanks.
When we purchased the Cascade Extreme suit (Panst and Jacket/heated liners), they were touted as being "waterproof" and they were not!

Gerbing (Shango Rider) issued a full refund with the Gerbing people saying that they were going to re-vamp the Extreme suit.

Dan and Gerbing were both easy to do deal with and gave very good customer service. I just wished that the Cascade Extreme would have worked as promised.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #10 of 10 Old Nov 24th, 2007, 9:57 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thank you for explaining. I have been it lite rain but no downpours so am not sure. I wear an Olympia Jacket and that is water proof, neither got wet in the rain I have been in. I guess the old rain suite stays in the left saddlebag.

And Dan is great to deal with.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
When we purchased the Cascade Extreme suit (Panst and Jacket/heated liners), they were touted as being "waterproof" and they were not!

Gerbing (Shango Rider) issued a full refund with the Gerbing people saying that they were going to re-vamp the Extreme suit.

Dan and Gerbing were both easy to do deal with and gave very good customer service. I just wished that the Cascade Extreme would have worked as promised.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in