Tire Repair ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:05 am Thread Starter

Tire Repair ??

Yesterday after a great 250 mile ride in absolutely perfect weather, we discovered that both tires on my wife's R1200CLC were punctured. It must have happened just before we got home because we noticed they were going flat during the last quarter mile before home.

My question; Is it safe to patch (vulcanize from inside) or put a tube in? These are near new Metzlers and the punctures are very small and clean. I don't want to shell out for two new tires if I don't have to but, I also don't want to put my Sweetie in any danger. I have a tire plugger but, I've seen threads that indicate you shouldn't run a plugged tire for longer than necessary to get it replaced.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark
Yesterday after a great 250 mile ride in absolutely perfect weather, we discovered that both tires on my wife's R1200CLC were punctured. It must have happened just before we got home because we noticed they were going flat during the last quarter mile before home.

My question; Is it safe to patch (vulcanize from inside) or put a tube in? These are near new Metzlers and the punctures are very small and clean. I don't want to shell out for two new tires if I don't have to but, I also don't want to put my Sweetie in any danger. I have a tire plugger but, I've seen threads that indicate you shouldn't run a plugged tire for longer than necessary to get it replaced.

Thanks
If the holes are small, and in the tread area, yes they can be patched from the inside and be safe. Plugs are just to get you to a place where the tire can be patched properly. Using the round adhesive patches with the stem that is pulled trough from the inside to the outside is a very good patch. The stem stretches out when pulled tight, then when released expands back out to seal around the sides of the hole to prevent water from seeping between the plies, while the large adhesive patch bonds to the inside to prevent air leaks.

Some feel otherwise, so it is a personal choice. I know of no technical reason to not do it though.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 10:53 am

Tire patches

I have run plugged tires thousands of miles with no problems. I don't see what the paranoia about running a plugged tire is.

For the naysayers - try to remove that plug after you take the tire off!

Just my two cents worth.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 7:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
I have run plugged tires thousands of miles with no problems. I don't see what the paranoia about running a plugged tire is.

For the naysayers - try to remove that plug after you take the tire off!

Just my two cents worth.
Depends on what kind of plugs you use. Stop and Go plugs are EASY to push into the tire. I found a kit that was much better than the Stop and Go kit, and much smaller. It was a Japanese brand, Muruno, but they are now sold as Progressive Suspension kits. I had two of those in, and when the tire was finally removed I could not push them out in any way. Stop and Go plugs however can be pushed into the tire very easily.

Still, the best repair by far is the large round "pull through" plugs bonded to the inside of the tire.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 7:44 pm

That is a tough questons. I have run tires with plugs, with no problems. It boils down too, if something happens who will be responsible??? The dealer??? You?? or the tire manufacture???
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 8:33 pm

tire plugs

Just a note on plugs. I had a low tire on my Tahoe yesterday, started puting air in and 'blew' a plug 'out', that some one had installed before I bought the SUV. I didn't know there were any plugs in the tires. I have put about 30,000 miles on the tires. I will use plugs on my BMW MC tires, but only to get to a tire repair shop.
Glenn
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Thumbs down

I too had the experience of being able to push one of those mushroom plugs in with the end of a pen. Didn't care for that.

Someone told me about
www.patchboy.com
I bought a set of their X-tra Seal wedges and their glue. I've used it twice on the road, ran both tires about 2kmiles before replacement. I tried pulling the plug from the inside with pliers and it would not budge. Never lost air.

I've also had good success with those generic black string plugs.

I wouldn't ride a bike at all, not even directly to the next bike shop for a tire, with one of those plug gun mushroom things.

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 9:19 am

Quote:

Thanks
I've plugged dozens of tires with no problems - as long as the puncture is small and clean. Make sure you scrub the area with soap and water (if available - but at a minimum use water) before installing the plug so you don't contaminate it with grit when you install it.

I have never ridden on a front tire with a plug any longer than it took me to replace the tire. The $100 or so is well worth the peace of mind for me. If a plugged rear fails you wobble a little bit and coast to the side of the road - no big deal. But a front??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 5:52 am

After years of working at a Goodyear dealership official positions have changed. It used to be believed that plugs were no good and the only good fix was a cemeted patch on the inside. After changes in adhesives, plugs are now often considered to be "the" choice. I have always plugged while on the road, then removed the tire and used a "standard" patch on the inside as well. That being said, my opinion on motorcycle tires is different. On a car you have 3 remaining tires to contol the vehicle in the case of a flat while moving. On a motorcycle you have one. Having 30+ years of riding experience I would not hesitate to ride with a rear tire that has been properly patched - relatively easy to control when flat, however a front flat is not controllable in almost any circumstance. So you have to ask yourself, how good of a rider is she? Personally I'm not living hand to mouth any more and could afford a BMW, so I'd buy new tires. Just my humble opinion.
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 12:22 pm

Quote:

Thanks
The many variables are what really makes the answer more confusing and is why most dealers will not repair.
If I discovered a nail in the tread area and the tire was still FULL OF AIR, Id be inclined to do the inside patch/plug repair although I would not let my wife drive with that tire (Id put it on my bike if possible). If the tire was driven with low pressure (sometimes evident from running on the sidewall) the excess heat and flexing MAY have caused delaminating of the plies that may cause a problem early, late, or never.
A good case can be made that simply breaking the bead and tire removal from the rim is cause for concern if not done correctly.
The gummed fibrous push thru plugs are only temporary, air could seep between the plies allowing internal breakdown. As stated earlier, youre dealing with two tires not four. And IMO the rear tire represents less risk than the front.
So as you can see it is tough to have a single answer to a very serious safety issue.

BTW, are there any tire experts that could comment on the use of a tube as they use in spoke rims?

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 1st, 2006, 6:02 pm

I too have thousands of miles with plugged tires. I always used the "gummy worm" type.

If you take the time to remove the tire to patch the inside.....replace the tire. You have already done most of the work. I personally do not think it is worth the time to remount a patched tire (unless you only have less than 1000 miles)

Your butt, your wallet, your choice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in