Riding position and comfort K1200GT/K1200S - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Riding position and comfort K1200GT/K1200S

I had presently own a HD Road king; then a Honda ST1300, and sold the ST cause of Heat and weight issues. Soon the HD may go.Today had opportunity to demo a K1200GT, and a R/GS. I prefered the smooth runner of the K/GT. I noticed a huge difference compared to the ST1300. I'm almost sold except I'm really liking the K1200S for it's lower weight. Has anyone used the K1200S in any way be a long day tourer, and explain differences experienced apon riding them both? I like the weight difference of the S. I'm not used to using a full face helmet which may be required for the S model. I'm usually riding backroads; mixed relax/aggressive riding, hyway 25% of the time. Dont need the HP of the K, but I like the smooth ride.
Howie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 5:59 pm

You have more ponies on the S than the GT actually. 167 (S) vs 152 (GT) with the difference being where the power is (supposedly).
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:09 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Calling Randy to the white courtesy phone.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Well; I went to the BMW dealer today again just before demo day (cause of rain that day); Tested the K1200S w/ risers, and the R1200RT. K/S; very nice, but not a GT, and insurance is too high. I liked the K/Gt much better than any bike i've tested yet. I guess i'M A comfort junky. This bike will coast along at slow pace if needed; but is no slouch when twisting the throttle! Now next step is to see what else is available w/ same ergo's and comfort(not Goldwing!)from other manufacturer, sa.Yamaha or Kawasaki(new 1400 08 concord) ect... in comparison to the GT. That would be hard. Dealer wants to sell 06 (blue) K1200GT for slightly better price. Are there any differences to the 06 to 07's ?
What are the difference of the servo to the non- servo brakes? please explain.
Thanks;
Howie...

Also; what are the basic difference between the 04 models and the newer model 06 and 07's K1200GT. I was told the older bikes had great engines; but were 100lbs heavier . Thanks;

Howie...
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The servo brakes have a power boost function, like in a car. They make a slight whine when powered up, and give residual braking force (greatly reduced) when the bike is turned off.

The newer braking system does not use a power boost function, but rather relies on advanced hydraulics to provide excellent braking force. It is also much smaller and lighter.

The older KGT's have an entirely different motor, chassis, suspension, pretty much everything. They are fine bikes, but nowhere near the same class as the newer GTs.

I'd say the differences between the older and newer GTs are much more significant than the differences between the ST11 and the ST134 (as a point of reference).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 7:28 am Thread Starter

Thanks for info, Looks like the 07 would be a better choice. I'm surprised BMW could'nt figure the brake change out for the 06 models. I guess the 08 and 09 models will go thru similar changes as Well; I'll know more tues. after I demo a 06 FJR and see if Beemer is worth the extra $.
Howie...
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRichman
I guess the 08 and 09 models will go thru similar changes as Well; I'll know more tues. after I demo a 06 FJR and see if Beemer is worth the extra $.
Howie...
Hey Howie, Screw the cash. You only live once. I wouldn't let money make my choice, but what made me happy as far as a ride went.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Does this mean you took the plunge $ and have a new GT? Did you do the compare?
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Yes, he is the proud owner of a GT

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRichman
Does this mean you took the plunge $ and have a new GT? Did you do the compare?
I'm not sure if you're talking to moi, but will answer.

I own a new, 07 GT and love it.

As far as comparison, I'm familiar with the competition, but never needed to ride them. I wanted the BMW toys, The ESA, the Hossack front suspension, the heated grips that work off the BC automatically (climate control), etc.

Another reason for needing to ride any other for comparison: some close friends that I trust have. Nuff said. I am, in no way, loyal to a marque. I ride what floats my boat. The LT lasted 108,000 miles and I kept her longer than any other bike in the last 36 years of riding. Sounds like a convert, huh? But if the new 1400 eclipsed the GT, well call me a fickle bike slut.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 29th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
But if the new 1400 eclipsed the GT, well call me a fickle bike slut.
You fickle bike slut! And to think, Starship Ecstacy told me last night that she wants you to be the Bishop of Farkling in the Church of Gtea the Bord Computer has been instructing me to start.
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 4:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpain
You fickle bike slut! And to think, Starship Ecstacy told me last night that she wants you to be the Bishop of Farkling in the Church of Gtea the Bord Computer has been instructing me to start.
Well, bring it over.

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in