Super-Visor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:13 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Super-Visor

Has anybody tried the Super-Visor? Looks like a good idea - if it works. Might be worth $20 to try one out.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:17 pm

I haven't tried the super visor but I do use the ICON Sunstrip. It is basically a strip of black tape and I cut the ICON words off before I installed it. I'm not as frugal as some others, but its only $7.00.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #3 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:38 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Is the Icon strip solid black, or just heavily tinted? I'm sure being pre-curved helps on installation.

I've been using electrical tape myself. Just stick a row or two on the bottom of the shield, and adjust up or down as needed. Works OK, but you do need to have the shield open while riding into the sun, and it does block a little of the lower peripheral view when closed or cracked slightly open. Frugal isn't the reason, it's more laziness, plus I always have tape on the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey, Ken, I went to Wallyworld.. in the RV section... they have a roll of heavy tint which sticks by "static" to windshields. I cut out the size I wanted and just stick on the inside of a clean visor... if it blows off or I lose it I figure I'm out about 50 cents.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Is the Icon strip solid black, or just heavily tinted? I'm sure being pre-curved helps on installation.

I've been using electrical tape myself. Just stick a row or two on the bottom of the shield, and adjust up or down as needed. Works OK, but you do need to have the shield open while riding into the sun, and it does block a little of the lower peripheral view when closed or cracked slightly open. Frugal isn't the reason, it's more laziness, plus I always have tape on the bike.
The ICON strip is solid. Very similar to your electrical tape idea. I also have one of those helment sunblockers that are heavily tinted on my clear shield but I personally like the solid strip better in heavy sun. YMMV Was that a typo or you really keep it at the bottom of your shield?

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048

Last edited by kaygee; Oct 18th, 2006 at 3:05 pm.
post #6 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Thumbs up Super-Visor?

Quote:
Has anybody tried the Super-Visor? Looks like a good idea - if it works. Might be worth $20 to try one out.
Both Jeanie and I have them on our Nolan N100E helmets specifically on our tinted shields. They installed very easily and work very well. There is no associated wind noise and they actually direct more air into the top vents. You can mount it directly on the shield or use the risers that come with it to adjust the height and/or remove it when desirable. Mine is mounted directly on the shield but Jeanie preferred it a little higher so I used the risers. Most of the time I ride with my shield cracked open one or two clicks so the Super-Visor rides a little higher. Jeanie usually has the shield closed. The Super-Visors have really come into play in the mornings and late afternoons when the sun is close to the horizon. We find them to be a great device that looks great and has improved the quality of the riding experience while adding another measure of safety.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #7 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 3:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

if you get the "super-visor" and put it on a black helmet, do you have to breathe heavy and say "Luke, I'm your Faaaahther" at every stop?

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Ken, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear someone else doing the electrical tape schtick at the bottom of the visor. I used to do that on my old HJC A-10 helmet back in the days of the MoldySteed(tm). { ::sigh::, moment of silence in reverent, sentimental memory wanderings....... Ok, that's enough }

Now that I've 'grown up' to the LT life and a Symax, I've neglected the tape for appearances sake - but I'm 'bout ready to wise up and go back. It just flat out works.

Yea - tape along the bottom. What with the excellent wind protection we've got, it's no biggy to move the visor to full open and then twig it down for an adjustable sun-block. Worked great for me for years on the old ride.

I'll have to let ya know 'bout the black helmet influence. My Symax is all black with a tinted visor. Even got rid of the HJC stickers. Tape going on soon. Though for me out here, the phrase may well be more like "Well, what now - You're *my* boy??"

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #9 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 5:26 pm

I had the tinted strip on top of my shield, and that worked well most of the time. The worst area I ever experienced was coming back to San Diego in the late afternoon from the east on I-8. There are spots there where you get completely blinded with the sun right at highway level. First time I rode with my hand up trying to hold a finger or two right over the sun. After the first time, anytime I knew I was going to be hitting that area around sunset, I would put a small square of electrical tape right in the center of the tinted strip. That way I could tile my head down a little to position the Tape right over the sun, but still see on both sides of the tape. Worked very well. Only problem is that you have to inticipate the need, or keep it there all the time.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Yup, Super Visor user

Quote:
I have that product attached to my Nolan flip up. I won't ride without it. When I made the transition from an open face 3/4 helment with a visor to a full face I immediately missed the visor. The supervisor was the solution and I have had one on my past helmets for many years. I am sort of surprised that they are not more popular than they are. My guess is the reason that they are not more popular is because people think they look funny and prefer form over function. The aerodynamics of the thing are fine, I even ride at slower speeds with my flip-up open and the supervisor stays put and causes no problems.

Good product in my opinion. YMMV.

The "stand-offs" that are used the attach the visor will not survive a drop of the helmet and I have had to reattach them with double sided foam tape on a couple of occasions.

In my opinion a visor cuts much more glare, expecially when riding into the sun than does a stick on film on the face shield.
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Have it attached directly to the visor of my full face. Works great and I don't care what it looks like!

"Smitty"
'07 GT CGM
post #12 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
if you get the "super-visor" and put it on a black helmet, do you have to breathe heavy and say "Luke, I'm your Faaaahther" at every stop?
Well, no. But every so often I catch the Pink Power Ranger checking out my departure angle.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:13 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
The tape is currently on the bottom of my face shield. As Tate said, I can move the shield up or down easily to adjust, though in practice I find that it works best at one specific location. Having the shield open may be an issue in extreme winter conditions, but we don't get those much out west.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #14 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:16 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
No, but I often show off the built-in sun visor to others by flipping it up and down while saying "Rebel" "Stormtrooper". Always good for a laugh.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #15 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:19 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
The tinted strips work OK except for extreme sun as David mentioned. Putting a small square of opaque tape in the middle is a great idea.

Otherwise, the built-in sun visor in my C2 helmet works for most conditions. Maybe I could put some tape on that, and leave my face shield clear?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #16 of 24 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:21 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks for the user report, Bob (and others). I'll have to check it out in Ft. Bragg this weekend.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #17 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 1:28 am

Thanks for your review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
Both Jeanie and I have them on our Nolan N100E helmets specifically on our tinted shields. They installed very easily and work very well. There is no associated wind noise and they actually direct more air into the top vents. You can mount it directly on the shield or use the risers that come with it to adjust the height and/or remove it when desirable. Mine is mounted directly on the shield but Jeanie preferred it a little higher so I used the risers. Most of the time I ride with my shield cracked open one or two clicks so the Super-Visor rides a little higher. Jeanie usually has the shield closed. The Super-Visors have really come into play in the mornings and late afternoons when the sun is close to the horizon. We find them to be a great device that looks great and has improved the quality of the riding experience while adding another measure of safety.
I'm going to order one now! The NM sun is harsh.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #18 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 7:28 am

Another suggestion would be visit a sign/graphics shop in your area and see if they will GIVE you some scrap in a coilor close to that of your helmet. I work in sign biz and have done this for years. BP Pearl is a perfect match for a Shoei Pearl White helmet. Put a strip at top of shield and it looks perfect.

But sign shops are a local deal and would probably be willing to help you out for cheap.

Rando
post #19 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 8:42 am

Quote:
The tinted strips work OK except for extreme sun as David mentioned. Putting a small square of opaque tape in the middle is a great idea.

Otherwise, the built-in sun visor in my C2 helmet works for most conditions. Maybe I could put some tape on that, and leave my face shield clear?
Patti and I both have the tinted strips on our Nolan helmets. We also both ride with sunglasses. Combining the two allows comfortable sight in the brightest on coming sun. No squinting at all. And on those occasions where you're not riding directly into the sun, just raise the tinted strip. When the sun goes down, take off the sunglasses.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #20 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 8:46 am

Three strips of black electrical tape stuck along the top of the visor works really well. The lowest strip is possitioned so it is just a bit above the horizon when in a riding position, then if the sun is in my eyes, I just tilt my head forward a tiny bit and block the sun.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #21 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 10:47 am

Quote:
I went to my local sign shop and asked if they had any scraps of black vinyl leftover from cutting out letters - he gave me a thin strip of it for free, enough to make a dozen "shields".

I put it on the outside of the face shield. To install it you simply mist the shield with Windex, position it then let it dry. It is completely opaque - and bugs wash off just great. I've done this on helmets for years.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #22 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 11:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
New idea

Ron has the right idea. But what I use is even better. I can hook you up with a contoured strip of the black camouflage tape that you see on the backs of side cases and top cases. This material is opaque, black during the day but would give you the extra benefit of being reflective at night. Let me know if there is any interest.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #23 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 2:02 pm

I'm not familiar with it being called "camoflage" tape, but black reflective sign materials would be similar. Some reflects white, some reflects gold when lit up at night. And yeah that is a pretty good idea for added visibility at night. Owning and working for sign shops for 22 years, I've used all kinds of stuff for variuos purposes over the years. When I painted my Vstrom, I scanned all the factory markings and cut them from yellow reflective and covered my fender tip (rear) and sides of front with black reflective. as you say , it disappears during the day on black, yet glows at night.

'Rando

Last edited by rando; Oct 19th, 2006 at 3:04 pm. Reason: correcting myself
post #24 of 24 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 10:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

Add another vote for the super visor. I use it on a HJC flip front. I find that it works very well. Keeps my face in the shade. I did need to learn not to put the helmet upside on the seat. The tabs that hold the visor will become distrorted. But they sent me new ones quickly.

I tried the stick ons but the super visor worked much better heading into the evening sun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in