This makes the Dragon seem tame - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:58 am Thread Starter

This makes the Dragon seem tame

A relitive in the UK sent me these pictures of a mountain road in Bolivia - don't know where he got them. They are spectacular.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic01869.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	7477   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic09894.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	7478   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic05447.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	7479   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic19912.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	7480   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic28703.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	7481  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 9:25 am

Roads

Holy Cr... We should not complain about pot holes I guess.
Here is post of two local Cinti BMW club members who are off on Mexico trip:

Forget what I said about riding the worst possible road for motorcycling. We have uncovered a new standard. The unpaved 65km road to Batopilas has it all, rocks, ruts, wash-outs, blind curves, no guard rails and drop offs that make an old pro pucker. And it is one lane, and is the only road that services this little village. If you meet a vehicke coming the other way somebody has to back up to a wide place. We did it in an old rattly Nissan pickup, but several people (guys and gals) made the trip on 2 wheels. They also have daily bus service with an orange school bus, if you can imagine that.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:30 am

Thats the Dealth Road out of La Paz, do a google seach if you wish to learn more.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:52 am

You setting up a ride??

Putting together a trip for that I'm in!
And I bet that would bring old #13 out of retirement.
Rock
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:17 am

Here's one of my favorites in the good 'ol USA in Utah.

Did it last spring with the LT, Mom, the poodle and 300 lb. trailer. Only did it downhill, the LT would never make it going up hill without burning out the clutch:

Those pictures in Bolivia give me the shakes just thinking about it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah vacation pictures 104.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	7483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah vacation pictures 105.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	7484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mokee Dugway.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	7485  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Oct 16th, 2006 at 11:24 am.
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Thats the Dealth Road out of La Paz, do a google seach if you wish to learn more.
"The road has received the name rather recently, in December, 1999 when the car with 8 Israeli tourists has fallen in a precipice. But it is not the loudest accident on this route. On July, 24th, 1983 the bus with more than hundred passengers fell into canyon - for today this most terrible road accident for all history of Bolivia. Local residents if they should go through Death road, pray to reach alive. If something happens, the way up to the nearest hospital will take several hours."

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Comparing this to The Dragon isn't fair - Deal's Gap is twisty, but it's paved. Instead, compare to the "Oh-My-God" road near Denver, which is also unpaved ... and it makes "Oh-My-God" look tame. Wow! Just caught a show about Death Road in Bolivia on one of the TV travel channels.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #8 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

That is Nuts!

You'd have to sedate me to even ride in a vehicle on that road. Reminds me of the upper half of the road to the top of Mt. Washington, NH, which we unsuccessfully tried a few years ago. Didn't have the fortitude to continue when I saw Oh My God curve ahead. Turned around (!) and went back down the mountain.

I suppose if you traveled that Bolivian road all the time you'd get used to it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
You'd have to sedate me to even ride in a vehicle on that road. .
Sedated? I'd have to be unconscious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I suppose if you traveled that Bolivian road all the time you'd get used to it.
I'd get used to it if I was in the back of a hearse.

That is insanity gone wrong. They prolly paid some company to put the road in, they absconded with most the funds and this is the result.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Sedated? I'd have to be unconscious.

I'd get used to it if I was in the back of a hearse.

That is insanity gone wrong. They prolly paid some company to put the road in, they absconded with most the funds and this is the result.
Pretty sure I would have to run it a couple times both ways,
before I tried it on drugs
Rock
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 8:53 pm

The Death Road

I have to share this with you. In 1971 I hitchhiked from Mexico down through Central America and all the way down to the bottom of South America and back up again. I traveled to La Paz and then hitchhiked and walked across the bottom of Lake Titicaca until I came to a village on the west side and caught a rickety old bus with people, chickens and pigs. The seats were made of plywood. As we started to ascend to an even higher elevation over the Andes it turned dark and I kept waiting for the bus driver to pull over and wait until light broke because when we started to descend, that's when I barely saw the "road" below in the dark. I just about squirted an entire bolivian meal out of my rather grungy levi's. To top this off it started to snow! We actually traveled several miles on this road until the driver pulled over, got out and went into a shack and fell asleep. The rest of us wrapped ourselves in anything we had to stay warm. In the morning I woke up and I almost had a heart attack! I had only a faint idea the kind of road I was on as it had turned dark and what I saw made me want to call for "mommy". When I actually saw this thing at the butt crack of dawn, I can honestly say I've never been more scared in my life; and I spent a tour in Vietnam!
Bruce
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Pretty sure I would have to run it a couple times both ways,
before I tried it on drugs
Rock
Just don't eat the brown acid.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Just don't eat the brown acid.
Grif,

I don't know what brown acid is, but when I look at your avatar all I can think is "I shouldn't have eaten the whole sheet!" .

Richard Kuethe
The Quiet Room
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoom
Grif,

I don't know what brown acid is, but when I look at your avatar all I can think is "I shouldn't have eaten the whole sheet!" .
I think that's a vague reference to Woodstock? But... I really can't remember that far back.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I think that's a vague reference to Woodstock? But... I really can't remember that far back.
Who can? Unless it's a flashback.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:28 pm

I believe that the National Geographic Channel or it might of been the Travel Channel that had a 1-Hr. program on the road the other day. If you go to either of their web sites you might find the vid of the program.

Rusty Snyder
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2006, 10:40 pm

History Channel on "The Death Road"

The history channel has a documentary on La Paz to Caranavi. The death road. The grade is up to 14% and in places only 10 feet wide and over 15,500 feet above sea level. Some of you are on the right track of the drug use of some of the drivers, this is the heart of the Coca leaf production area and cocoa leaf is legal to be transported in this area. DEA and Bolivian para's operate here mitigating cocaine production in the area. Local drivers chew the leaves as a stimulant. I've flown the area before, never been on the road. I have seen bicycles, motorcycles , large trucks, and animal herds running the road. The toughest stretch is called the corners of death.

Mirage
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:06 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Looks like fun, except for all the passing trucks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage
The history channel has a documentary on La Paz to Caranavi. The death road...
I saw the History Channel's episode last night. "Wow. Holy cow. No way. You're kidding... right?" were my responses.

I might walk a "road" (that term is used loosely) like that but I don't see myself riding/driving it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 1:07 pm

[RonKMiller]Here's one of my favorites in the good 'ol USA in Utah.

Did it last spring with the LT, Mom, the poodle and 300 lb. trailer. Only did it downhill, the LT would never make it going up hill without burning out the clutch:]]

I've done that road. With a street legal dune buggy some years back. As I recall you head for the road through a tree lined straight paved road. Then suddenly you see a sign warning of ending pavement and curves. I almost didn't slow down. If you miss the first curve you win the race to the bottom.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:33 pm
fas

Cool wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehancock
A relitive in the UK sent me these pictures of a mountain road in Bolivia - don't know where he got them. They are spectacular.
Great shots. Thanks for sharing. Good reason to NOT go there.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:23 am

Red face Best road in the US

[QUOTE=fas]Great shots. Thanks for sharing. Good reason to NOT go there.

FYI,

My father and I did this one last spring.
It can be done in two hours.

Jeff----I think the highway 191 we want to tour on is from Clifton, AZ to Alpine AZ----this road is in eastern AZ and is about 90 miles in distance----it is the curviest road in the united States----435 hairpin curves----takes about 4 hours to go 90 miles---click on the link below for more info----DAD

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/drives/Coronado-Trail.htm

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in