what bike should I get my wife - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 8:33 pm Thread Starter

what bike should I get my wife

My wife has been riding her Yamaha Virago 250 for about a year, had the MCS course. Now she is feeling a little cramped and the bike is light to her now (I think it Vibrates more than one of those beds you put a quarter in) and would like something else. She is 5'2'', I would love to stay in the BMW family (I ride a LT). Any suggestions, BMW or otherwise? I have even thought about something vintage 70's triumph or bmw as I would love to have something like that in the garage to borrow from her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 8:38 pm

At 5'2", her height would be a big consideration.

A Ninja 250 would be a performance gain.

Most cruisers would have a low enough seat.

Most anything else, she would have to judge the seat height.

Many bikes could be lowered, but that's alot of work, if it's not what she wants.

Good luck on your search.

Let us know how it turns out.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 34 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 10:52 pm

I was just thinking that when my wife is ready to return to riding ( she rode in her younger days and gave it up while raising the youngins) I'd look into the F650 CS. She's also 5'2". The F650 can be had with a 29.5in seat height. The current model R1200 lists a 29.3 in seat height. I had a 2001 Montana, and that was very low compared to the LT. I don't have to tell you that seat height isn't the only consideration for a 5'2" woman, the bike's weight is a factor too. R1200- 700lbs. F650- 417lbs. But the low CG on the R1200 made it feel lighter (to me) than its listed weight. Sounds like a trip to the dealer would be in order to see what she's comfortable with.

Last edited by George_S; Oct 10th, 2006 at 10:59 pm.

post #4 of 34 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Thumbs up

I'm only 5.0' and very limited on choices of bikes unless you want a cruiser. If that's your preference. I've done my homework. I've owned the ninja 250 and loved the bike. Low maintains and you can't blow it up. ( I've tried). I've test ridden the BMW 650gs twice also a great bike for us short ladies. We do allot of touring so F650gs doesn't do what I need it to do. I currently ride a Suzuki Gs500f. Dave lowered it 1" and we modified the seat also which is very easy to do with the right tools. I'm also looking to move up to a new bike. Possibly the 2007 Suzuki 650 v-strom wich comes with abs. I't will also have to be lowered and seat modifications. Good Luck

Gail
Orlando Fl.
'04 Suzuki GS500F (F is for female) Sold!
'08 Can-Am Spyder (Araignée)

"If you want anything said ask a man, if you want anything done ask a woman." Margret Thatcher

post #5 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 6:34 am

"What bike should I get my wife?"

".......I'd look into the F650 C........"

Why not let her make her own decision rather than you deciding what she'd like or not like? You guys are living dangerously.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #6 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 9:05 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji3
....She is 5'2'', I would love to stay in the BMW family (I ride a LT). Any suggestions, BMW or otherwise? I have even thought about something vintage 70's triumph or bmw as I would love to have something like that in the garage to borrow from her!
Perhaps a K1200S.... don't laugh! (If Nancy was a rider, I wouldn't hesitate to let her ride Wofgang.)

1- with the low seat it just might be low enough
2- the power is very controllable
3- the is a LOT of power so she won't outgrow that aspect
4- It's BMW, ABS, etc.

And most importantly, it would be fun to "borrow"

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
Sounds like a trip to the dealer would be in order to see what she's comfortable with.
Bill, Before you critcize, you should have read my entire post and not just the first sentence!
post #8 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:17 am

As others have noted, the F650 is great for the shorter rider and is still capable of handling some serious riding. The lowered seat works for most but a lady your wifes size who rides with our group was still uncomfortable (she wanted to be able to have both feet flat on the ground). By replacing the stock suspension link with one from Kuba Link she was a happy camper. It lowered the bike enough to suit her needs.
post #9 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:52 am
Old Dawg

My girlfriend is barely 5'2" also. I have a Ninja 500 that she is using to get used to riding but for a future bike she is considering a Yamaha R6s, they have nice power and are pretty darn good looking too. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...00/0/home.aspx

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #10 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 6:11 pm

You could figure out what other bike you really want. Convince her, that it is perfect for her.
Then ride it all the time yourself
Oh wait thats how I started riding Beemers
Rock
post #11 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 7:47 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Perhaps a K1200S.... don't laugh! (If Nancy was a rider, I wouldn't hesitate to let her ride Wofgang.)

1- with the low seat it just might be low enough
2- the power is very controllable
3- the is a LOT of power so she won't outgrow that aspect
4- It's BMW, ABS, etc.

And most importantly, it would be fun to "borrow"

My wife, Michelle, at a scant 5'4" rides (and loves) a K1200S. She says she has never felt as comfortable on any bike as she does on the S. It is relatively light and very comfortable. She currently has a K1200RS (1" lowered Wilbers shocks) and the K1200S (standard suspension with ESA, standard seat). In the past she has owned:
  • Rebel 250
  • 750 Magna
  • Shadow 800
  • VTX1300
  • R1150RT
  • R1200RT (Wilbers 1" lowered)

I have to say that she looks more at home on the K1200S than any of the others. We bought the S in July, left on a 4000 mile trip to Canada 5 days later. She did not have a moments hesitation or discomfort on that bike for the entire trip. I feel the same way about my S - it is the single best motorcycle I have ever owned. I like the GT a lot and like it more all the time, but it is not as sweet a package as the S.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #12 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 9:34 pm

How about a Suzuki SV650?

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #13 of 34 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:28 pm

Red face Short Wife

I know that this isn't going to be very popular here but my 4'11" wife with a 23" inseam had a tough time finding a good fit. We started with an 83 Honda ascot that we bought used from our BMW dealer. It fit (after I lowered it 3")but it was old and very used.
We sold it and bought her a 883 L Harley.

I know, I know, but it has stock pipes, runs good and SHE loves it.

The main thing is that she has confidence on this bike and it fits her like a glove.
Now she wants to trade it on a new (fuel injected) 1200 L.
I may have created a monster but I love riding with her and I don't think she is going to go topless at Bike Week any time soon.
Enjoy the ride!

Dave Lancello
Indianapolis Indiana
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
2003 K1200LTE
2006 Harley Street Rod
post #14 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 6:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
"What bike should I get my wife?"

".......I'd look into the F650 C........"

Why not let her make her own decision rather than you deciding what she'd like or not like? You guys are living dangerously.
Tell me about it...

This is one DANGEROUS thread.

What else do you pick for your wives/so's ?

My advice, let her go to every dealer you can find and let HER pick the bike that puts the grin on HER face.
post #15 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 6:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlancello
I know that this isn't going to be very popular here but my 4'11" wife with a 23" inseam had a tough time finding a good fit. We started with an 83 Honda ascot that we bought used from our BMW dealer. It fit (after I lowered it 3")but it was old and very used.
We sold it and bought her a 883 L Harley.
Errr, why would you worry or care for that matter if HER choice was popular here or not?

If she's happy, to heck with "here"..

Hope she enjoys the heck out of her ride!
post #16 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 9:26 am

My best advice - sit on all of them, and don't influence her choice regarding horsepower - riding a POS like the F650 and having to flog it to death to keep up is NOT fun. When I first test rode an RS my husband said the bike had waaay too much power for me (I think because he still had a HD!) but the salesman helped me to persuade him that I would use my power for good and not evil . Power, great brakes and easy handling are all safety features. An earlier post suggested an S bike; that is a great example of that. Good luck in your search and tell her we said Happy Shopping!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #17 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 9:28 am

Quote:
My wife has been riding her Yamaha Virago 250 for about a year, had the MCS course. Now she is feeling a little cramped and the bike is light to her now (I think it Vibrates more than one of those beds you put a quarter in) and would like something else. She is 5'2'', I would love to stay in the BMW family (I ride a LT). Any suggestions, BMW or otherwise? I have even thought about something vintage 70's triumph or bmw as I would love to have something like that in the garage to borrow from her!
F650 Gs low version
or a lowered bike

I Happen to know where one is for sale that has been lowered already.

a '02 R1150Rt that would fit her fine my so had 27" inseam, the bike was lowered with works shocks and a custom seat which is still all on the bike

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #18 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:57 am

Bike for Wife

Have you ever considered a Ridley? I understand that they have a very low seat height 24.5 inches (at least there is one model that does), and they have a variable speed transmission (ie automatic). They are twin cam's, around 700 cc's, and I understand they aren't cheap--around the $12000 mark--but it is at least something to think about. jrlakin
post #19 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Talking stretch the legs

well not really, but find the ride that put a grin on her face and if needed why not some elevated boots. it could add and inch or more to offset the seat height.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #20 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 2:04 pm
fas

Ride 'em where the road is not flat

Quote:
My brother in law went thru the process with his gal. He had a serious bicycle crash and multiple arm/hand surgeries so they wanted her to ride her own. They thought the Honda 600 would be great. Turned out, too top heavy for her and she kept dropping it when they hit anything slightly off camber. She is 5' 1". They sold the Honda at a loss and she only rides on the back of his now. She lost faith in her ability to deal with the road surface conditions and inclined planes.

If she test rides in rough terrain it may help her with the decision. Parking lot smooth might lead to a selection that causes frustration later.

Good luck with the search.

Personally, I'd stay away from old bikes with drum brakes. She may find a low cg ride is best for her motor skills. Those old UK bikes are not low cg.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #21 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 3:51 pm

New F800 ST

Nobody has mentioned the F800 ST. Recently launched at our Annual BMW Bikers Gathering here in South Africa, The really enthusiastic interest was from the wives! So far, since the launch, the only customers for this new model has been women! So much so that my friends wife was waiting for so long that he bought her the new 1200S instead. Have a look at the new F800 ST. It's a stunner and sounds awesome! Real easy to ride. My wife has an F650 GS, but this is what she wants NOW!!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #22 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 4:10 pm

I believe the seat height is a problem on the 800, but I'm sure it can be lowered.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #23 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Some comments on the comments:

We looked at a Ridley at Myrtle Beach Bike week last week-Just a little two different and way to expensive for what it is. There were a thousand sportsters there but I have talked so much crap about HD she is convinced that if she goes a couple of months with out riding it won't start when she is ready to go.

Ditto on the Honda 600, she thinks it is why to heavy and wide.

Right now she is leaning toward a Suzuki 650 Savage/BLVd, Intruder (would have to be lowered a little, but she really like the Buell Blast. Why shouldn't I get her one of those? I know they are Harley's, don't hold their value but you can pick one up for under 2k.
post #24 of 34 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 8:54 pm

If she is looking at a cruiser, you may want to look at a VLX 600. Honda reliability and very low cost. Great power; my ex rode hers several times from Denver to Sturgis at +80 mph with no problem. Also good aftermarket support.
post #25 of 34 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 2:58 am

My son-in-law is 5-2" also. He bought a Honda Shadow Aero 750 a couple of months ago, and it fits him fine. Really low center of gravity makes it easy to manuever. Something like a 25" seat height. Because it is a 750 twin she won't get bored wanting more power in 6 months. He's already looking into windshields and saddlebags to travel with the thing. It also has shaft drive and decent brakes (even though not ABS). I think he paid about $5500, brand new.
post #26 of 34 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 6:04 am

Quote:
she really like the Buell Blast. Why shouldn't I get her one of those? I know they are Harley's, don't hold their value but you can pick one up for under 2k.
Personally, I have never seen a Buell Blast with any kind of mileage on it that wasn't a complete piece of crap. That is probably why they can be had for under two grand. Gail and I looked at one (new) for her first bike, and the sales guy would have done anything to get that bike off his lot. The ONLY thing it has going for it is the 26" seat height, IMO.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #27 of 34 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 6:12 pm

To what I understand the buel blast is a bike that will be out grown in a hurry. They barely have enough power to run on the freeway. Which i found not to be enough to do safely. They are great for around town cruising or commuting at lower speeds. Most just use them temporarily to learn to ride then they upgrade to something the can handle the real world.
post #28 of 34 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Suzuki Intruder 800

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #29 of 34 Old Nov 12th, 2006, 7:06 pm

I just bought 2004 Buell Blast with 26 miles on ebay for $2300. I followed some wise advise in this thread.

I went shopping with my wife to different Motorcycle retailers. We went to Suzuki, BMW, Troy City Garage: sold different brands, 2 Harley stores and she fell in love with the Buell. She just past her MSF training and is not confident if she will like riding. The 2007 Buell Blast retailed at $5,000. I got a great deal on used one. No significant changes from year to year. Being delivered this week.

We asked the seller why their was only 26 miles on Bike. He stated he bought wife a Kawasaki but bike was to big for her. His wife dropped several times, and he sold it and bought her new one; but it was too late she never rode again. The Buell sat in garage for a year. She lost her confidence in riding because she had wrong bike.

This bike is said to be easy to handle. Bike is low to ground and my wife is flat footed with some knee bend. Wife is 5'2". If my wife builds her confidence in riding the cost is well worth it; If it ends up being a piece of junk when it gets some miles on it, so be it. We bought it right. Good lesson here.

Thanks for this thread. I may have a riding partner soon.

Hulkster 2002 BMW K1200LTE "Hulkster Green"

post #30 of 34 Old Nov 13th, 2006, 7:06 pm

Have her try a Vulcan 500, My 5'2" wife loved her's until her wrists went band from work. I liked it too, except for the forward controls

PS Sold my '01 Bonnie thru Craig's List. Got $4800, stock with 12,000 miles on it.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #31 of 34 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Why don't you let her pick it out?????????????
post #32 of 34 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 3:56 pm
fas

Cool your ?

Quote:
Get her one with ABS, if you love her.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #33 of 34 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 8:19 am

what bike for wife

My wife is 5'4" and rides a R1200RT. It has the short Wilber shocks and a low seat and she can flat foot it. We had a lowered F650GS that was just not comfortable enough for touring. I ride an LT. She loves the bike.
post #34 of 34 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:00 am

Triumph

My wife (same height) tried a Triumph Sportmaster the other day and liked it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in