differences between model years - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 30th, 2006, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

differences between model years

I have a R1200CM bike which I have been enjoying since trading my R100RT. But recently I have been lusting for the K1200LT. I never really liked the looks, but I made a mistake - I took it for ride. For touring, it is so much nicer than my C bike.

I cannot afford a new one, so I am looking at what I can get for around $10K. Is there a place which lists the signficant improvements between model years?

I know the 2005 and up have a different front end angle that is supposed to make them easier to handle at low speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 30th, 2006, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

looks like 2003-05

from a search of this site, it seem slike 2003 and newer are a good bet. What about 2002? I especially like the Tuscan Green, but I think the mechanical issue are more important than color.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 2:32 am
IBR# 366

Garage
There are 3 basic versions of the LT, with a few option packages to choose from. From '99-'01 (US model years) they bikes had ABS II (brake calipers say Brembo). From '02 to '04 they changed to Integral ABS (with a power brake pump, says BMW on the calipers). You could also choose from Standard, Icon, and Custom models, which added various options like heated seats and grips, 6-pack CD changer, on board trip computer, chrome package, etc. There was also an Elite/Exodus model that added an intercom, CB, and GPS.

The '05 through '07 bikes changed the steering geometry, added horsepower, changed the dash layout, separated the low & high beams into separate lights, and added the electro-hydraulic center stand. There were also some styling and trim color changes, and in '06 they added an HID low beam as an option. They also did away with different models and just priced the various options separately.

If you can afford it, the changes to the '05 and up bikes are worth the extra cash. The '02-'04 bikes are also great buys, and some good deals can be found if you look for them. But there are also lots of '99-'01 bikes out there with very happy owners. One reason people go for '03 and newer is a reduced chance of a rear drive bearing failure, but I wouldn't let that sway you from an earlier bike in good shape if the price was right.

So it all depends on your needs and wants versus your cash flow. But any LT that has been well maintained will give you miles of smiles.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:21 am
fas

Cool $10,000 lusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrannon
I have a R1200CM bike which I have been enjoying since trading my R100RT. But recently I have been lusting for the K1200LT. I never really liked the looks, but I made a mistake - I took it for ride. For touring, it is so much nicer than my C bike.

I cannot afford a new one, so I am looking at what I can get for around $10K. Is there a place which lists the signficant improvements between model years?

I know the 2005 and up have a different front end angle that is supposed to make them easier to handle at low speeds.
Wait until November, then you can buy a good, low mileage 05 because Momma wants Christmas money and it's really cold out there. Too many guys buy these then can't handle the high cg. Watch eBay and Cycle Trader.

Good luck with your search.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:35 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Personally I think you would be happy with what ever year bike you get if it has the options you want, When I got mine I had 3 to choose from at Lone Star BMW in Austin( Shameless Plug ) they had an 2000 ,2001, and a 2003 the 2000 had more optoins and upgrades and less miles so I got her.Also she was priced lowest so the help me make up my wifes mind . Seriously don't let little thinks like finial drive failure scare you. There are a lot of us out here with older bike with little or no problems with them. Just get what you want and can afford

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:19 am Thread Starter

excellent advice

Just the kind of advice I needed. Since I have my C bike in perfect condition, and still enjoy it, I am going to be patient and wait for just he right bike to come along.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:57 am

hopefully, someone near you will be watching too. A guy about 3 hrs away from me found the one I bought in his local paper. The deals are out there, but they don;t seem to be on ebay - reserve mostly higher than bids. At least you have a bike to hold you over til your bike finds you.

Good luck.
Rando

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in