310 km/h (192 mph) on German autobahn - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:49 am Thread Starter

310 km/h (192 mph) on German autobahn

There is (another) crazy Finn with a videocamera on German autobahn.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...83016683181768

I was only doing 202 km/h (by Garmin) and I thought that was cool (and scary). But add 100 km/h to that... not for me, thank you!

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:59 am
Prodigal Son

Question What is the Bike??

i did not recognize the panel.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #3 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by early1
i did not recognize the panel.
Honda CBR1100XX.

Man, after runnin' like that, I'd sure hope the next rest stop wuzn't occupado'd!!

post #4 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:34 am

Check gas gauge

Check his gas gauge, looks like he used 1/2 tank in the 4 minutes.

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #5 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:55 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Only one word to describe that "DAMN"

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:00 pm

He averaged 268 kph during the time of the video.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #7 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:27 pm

I had to laugh out loud at the use of his left turn signal as he changed from the right lane to the left.....AS IF someone was going to be passing him!

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #8 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:29 pm

And he used his signals most of time to change lanes. Not sure I would want to go that fast with traffic though. 120 is enough for me.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #9 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
And he used his signals most of time to change lanes. Not sure I would want to go that fast with traffic though. 120 is enough for me.
I could tell it was the Autobahn by the way he only stayed in the left lane just long enough to make his pass, then he got right back into the right lane. Here in the U.S., if some old fart is doing 60 MPH in the left lane they think they own it.
post #10 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Well, that's one boring video
post #11 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Here is the same guy hanging behind a pretty fast Audi. Too bad his bike's windshield was not clean...crazy guy(s) anyway!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...25164815322188

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #12 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 7:55 pm
Rider Journeyman

Myths and reality..

It was very cool to see how driving should be done on a highway. You pass on the left and then get over to the right.

Even with that Audi doing 150MPH plus, he moves over the right to let faster traffic pass.

The myth here in the U.S. is that speed kills. The reality is that it's lack of skill, inadequate rules, lax rule enforcement and allowing for the lowest possible standards for the road.

The myth about the high speeds in Germany on the no limit Autobahn is that it is more dangerous than U.S. highways. The reality is that due to road building standards, rule enforcement and high level of skills to be demonstrated, they are roughly equal in accident rates and far safer in terms of deaths per passenger mile driven than the our highways. Data HERE

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #13 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
It was very cool to see how driving should be done on a highway. You pass on the left and then get over to the right.

Even with that Audi doing 150MPH plus, he moves over the right to let faster traffic pass.

The myth here in the U.S. is that speed kills. The reality is that it's lack of skill, inadequate rules, lax rule enforcement and allowing for the lowest possible standards for the road.

The myth about the high speeds in Germany on the no limit Autobahn is that it is more dangerous than U.S. highways. The reality is that due to road building standards, rule enforcement and high level of skills to be demonstrated, they are roughly equal in accident rates and far safer in terms of deaths per passenger mile driven than the our highways. Data HERE

When traveling in many states this summer, it seemed to me that most of the U.S. abides by this except in California. I really do believe it can be done. I've seen it happen Billy, really. You gotta believe me.

Nice data site too. You sures do reads a lot.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #14 of 22 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:25 pm
King of the Castle

Speed doesn't kill, it's actually the rapid deceleration!

Bruce

2012 Kawasaki Concours
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2006 Harley Road Glide

post #15 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
I was only doing 202 km/h (by Garmin) and I thought that was cool (and scary).
I got up to 235 kph (145 mph) on the autobahn riding an R1100S. At first I could only go about 220 kph but I was able to draft a Mercedes and get a little extra speed. (I didn't have a GPS so I doubt that I was actually doing 235 kph but it was still a hoot!!)
post #16 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2006, 6:26 pm
fas

Cool Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
There is (another) crazy Finn with a videocamera on German autobahn. Regards
Ari,

Thanks for sharing. I thought I was nuts.

Great video, absolute mad man doing the driving.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #17 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2006, 6:47 pm
fas

Cool I'd move to Germany, at least in the summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
It was very cool to see how driving should be done on a highway. You pass on the left and then get over to the right.....
Loved your link, especially this clip...

German citizens and officials, including traffic safety researchers, appear to support the practice of not posting speed limits on autobahns outside of urban areas. According to officials of Germany's Ministry of Transport, most of the reasons given for implementing speed limits, i.e., safety, fuel conservation, etc., are not adequately supported by the facts.

I recently got pulled over in Frankfurt, GR, leaving Automechanika Expo. The cop was on a BMW. He was a great guy, spoke some English and loved my German. He said that since I ride a better BMW than he rides every day he was considering raising my fine! I had cut thru some stripes on the road to do a flip....frowned upon there! He said my fine should be over 200 Euro, but since I was a BMW owner and could speak some German, he would charge the lowest fine in his book, 35 Euro. He then said follow me and I'll show you the fast way to where you are going due to road construction your rental BMW nav is not aware of ...then he pulls a wheellie and off we go. Great guy and a fast, fine rider.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #18 of 22 Old Sep 30th, 2006, 9:01 pm
Prodigal Son

Unhappy You used to be able to count on it in Texas----

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
When traveling in many states this summer, it seemed to me that most of the U.S. abides by this except in California. I really do believe it can be done. I've seen it happen Billy, really. You gotta believe me.

--but since we've be Kalifornicated with all this migratory influx NOBODY moves over.(1976 13 million, 2006--39 million we think!!)

My trip today on I-20 was zigging and zgging through the masses dead-set on blocking ALL lanes.
What a PITA, not like it used to be--DRIVE FRIENDLY-- remember that from the 60's and 70's--NOT anymore.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:45 am

That Blackbird must have some serious modifications - or his speedo is overreading - the standard 'bird was only good for 280Km/h - DAMHIK

Last edited by RoyvL; Oct 1st, 2006 at 9:03 am.
post #20 of 22 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:17 pm

This weekend I met a couple young German guys--a writer and a photographer--travelling thru. I asked if they were riders--one was--and asked him if he had seen this video clip. He replied that he had not but had heard of it or one similar, and said that he heard reports in Germany that the rider recently died in a crash on the autobahn. I hope it isn't true. Anyone know more about the rider in the clip?

'02 Silver R1150RT

Lynn
post #21 of 22 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 6:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007

well it doesn;t happen in
FL , GA, TN, NC, SC, Va, West Va, PA, NJ, OH MS, LA PARTICULARLY In I.diots O.ut W.andering A.round!!, or IL. indiana wasn;t too bad though.

heck the only place that folks are half decent are Texas, Ar NM OK KS, from my expereince

we need autobahn!!!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #22 of 22 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed
This weekend I met a couple young German guys--a writer and a photographer--travelling thru. I asked if they were riders--one was--and asked him if he had seen this video clip. He replied that he had not but had heard of it or one similar, and said that he heard reports in Germany that the rider recently died in a crash on the autobahn. I hope it isn't true. Anyone know more about the rider in the clip?
I am pretty sure this particular Finnish Honda rider is still alive and kicking...
At least judging from his homepage that was updated Sept 29th.

http://juhani.exdecfinland.org/~tforsell/

And I am sure that if anything that dramatical would have happened to him, it would have been announced on our m/c websites. No such news in Finland...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in