LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Wow!! New Concours

New Concours http://www.motorcycledaily.com/23sep...6_concours.htm

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:09 pm

Can you say, Adios BMW??????

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #3 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 3:35 pm

Looking at the bike nekid, don't you know that this would make on helluva chopper!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 4:45 pm

It will be interesting to see what the final price tag is. This is one fine looking bike!

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #5 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 4:49 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochatley
Can you say, Adios BMW??????
I don't see this as a competitor to the LT but the GT is in trouble! Especially if its going to priced well.

My guess? 13-15 thousand versus the 21G for the GT.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 5:38 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
I don't see this as a competitor to the LT but the GT is in trouble! Especially if its going to priced well.

My guess? 13-15 thousand versus the 21G for the GT.
And the Final drive will not need a spark arrester

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:15 pm

WOW, & I just bought a '06 FJR1300 last month. That thing looks NICE!
I can tell you my FJR beats my old '00 K1200RS hands down.
BMW had better look out. There are better products out there for a WHOLE lot less $. I've not gotten rid of the "Enterprise" yet though. It's just getting a little rest @ the moment. Maybe I can get the 3rd final drive in 132k to last a little longer.
Chris
'99 LT Basalt the "Enterprise"
'06 FJR 1300 ABS (just fuc&'n FAST & FUN)
'03 Unigo (aka R2D2)
post #8 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:26 pm

Us Concours owners have been waiting a long time for this! WOOHOO!!!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:45 pm

Here's the official press release:

2008 CONCOURS

KAWASAKI CONCOURS™ 14 AND CONCOURS 14 ABS: SPORT TOURING WITHOUT COMPROMISE
Supersport performance with long-distance touring comfort

The new Concours ™14 and Concours 14 ABS combine breathtaking engine performance, impeccable handling and a comfortable riding position with clean, convenient shaft drive, locking hard luggage, an electrically adjustable windscreen and a host of other features to create the most impressive long-distance, high-speed machine on the market today.

An aluminum monocoque chassis, radial-mount brake calipers, inverted fork, and ram air induction are all features riders expect to find on top-of-the-line supersport machines. However, instead of riding a high-strung racetrack missile, they can enjoy these high-performance features on Kawasaki’s new Concours 14 sport touring motorcycles. They are the first representatives of an entirely new genre of high-performance motorcycle: the Transcontinental Supersport.

Because it’s a Kawasaki, the Concours 14 is naturally designed to do much more than just take a rider from point A to point B. Thanks to its sporting heritage, the new Concours 14 is not only an awe-inspiring road burner, it can also carve up mountain roads like a true supersport bike. For those riders who cross state lines the way others cross town, this machine offers more excitement than anything else in its category.
The Concours 14 may be a physically impressive machine, but as soon as riders flip the side stand up, they’ll be astonished at the bike’s lightweight feel.

The confidence-enhancing ABS brake system (Concours™ 14 ABS) features radial-mount front calipers operated by a radial-pump master cylinder, for the superb control and powerful, reliable braking performance that continent-crossing sport riders expect.. Belying its tourer-like appearance, the Concours 14’s phenomenally responsive handling characteristics make the other bikes in its category seem like transports by comparison. This provides the Concours 14 rider with a feeling of complete control for spirited, confident journeys.

In addition to an incredible level of sporting performance, the new Concours 14 has the functional touches of a Grand Touring machine. Features include KI-PASS (Kawasaki’s Intelligent Proximity Activation Start System), the first “smart” key ignition system in its class, and an accessory power outlet located near the cockpit for powering portable electronics, grip heaters and other accessories. There’s also an electrically adjustable windscreen, shaft drive and detachable, locking side cases, so the Concours 14 is always ready for a high-speed ride to the local hangout or that favorite spot... fifteen hundred miles away.

The Concours 14 is much more than a sportbike with tacked-on touring features; it’s an integrated high-speed touring system. Wind protection for rider and passenger is based on a supersport-style design philosophy, aerodynamically curving wind around the riders to reduce buffeting that occurs when wind curls around screens that simply “block” the wind. Additionally, maintenance chores on long-distance trips are minimized thanks to quiet and reliable shaft drive. Featuring a special four-link design, the Tetra-Lever shaft drive system significantly reduces driveline lash during sport riding and helps ensure smooth acceleration when exploiting the engine’s incredible power output. In fact, power delivery to the rear wheel is so smooth and so direct that it gives the same natural ride quality as a chain.

The Concours 14’s touring prowess doesn’t stop there. The included hard luggage features a slim, integrated design which mounts the cases closer to the machine’s centerline for excellent mass centralization. Sensors in the front and rear wheels monitor tire pressure and display this information on the instrument panel, giving riders peace of mind during two-up high-speed riding or when carving up a mountain road.
With all the equipment needed for safe and exciting long-distance riding mated to a decidedly supersport core, the new Concours 14 amplifies all the best riding features that motorcycling has to offer. Motorcyclists carry a driver’s license, but Concours 14 riders should bring their passports, too.

2008 Kawasaki Concours™ 14 Features and Benefits

Key Features:
- Most powerful production sport tourer
- Next generation monocoque aluminum frame
- Comfortable long distance riding position
- Low-maintenance shaft drive
1,352cc Four-Cylinder, DOHC Engine with Variable Valve Timing (VVT)
- Tuned to provide smooth power across a wide rev range
- Variable valve timing improves the engine’s flexibility and efficiency by altering the camshaft profiles to suit different rpm ranges
- Carefully planned engine design keeps it compact and narrow
- Chrome composite plated aluminum cylinder bores are lightweight, durable, and quickly carry heat away from the combustion chamber and piston for supreme durability under high loads
Gear-Driven Dual Engine Balancers
- Already in perfect primary balance, dual secondary balancers virtually eliminate unwanted vibrations for extremely smooth engine operation and enhanced rider comfort
Ram Air Induction
- Ram Air ducts produce a straighter path to the airbox for maximum intake efficiency
- This system takes cooler, high-pressure air, guides it through the air filter and into the engine for maximum power output
Digital Fuel Injection
- Throttle bodies are fitted with sub-throttle valvesthat are controlled by the ECU to provide smooth, precise response similar to constant velocity carburetors
- 32-bit electronic control unit works with dual throttle valve system to further enhance throttle response and control
- A digital computer feeds the engine exactly the amount of fuel it needs for cleaner emissions and maximum fuel economy
Digital Ignition
- Digital Timing Advance enhances low-and mid-range power
- Four individual spark plug-mounted ignition coils fire each spark plug independently to achieve the optimum timing for that cylinder at that instant
- ECU includes an idle speed control system for easier starting and warm-up
Radial Pump Clutch Master Cylinder
- Hydraulic clutch features a radial-pump clutch master cylinder for smooth and precise clutch engagement
Monocoque Aluminum Frame
- The frame is a hollow aluminum box that arches over the engine from the steering head to the swing arm pivot; it is narrow, strong, rigid and very light
- Engine is rigidly mounted to increase the monocoque’s torsional rigidity. Plus using the engine as a stressed frame member decreases the frame’s weight by approximately four pounds
- Engine positioned forward in the frame, wheelbase and front/rear weight balance were carefully designed to achieve high-speed stability and responsive handling
- Massive steering head casting contributes to frame rigidity

Radial-mount Petal-type Front Disc Brakes
- Radial mounted four-piston front brake calipers. Instead of mounting the calipers with threaded tabs cast near the top of the caliper, the radial design utilizes integrated mounting points at both the top and bottom of the caliper, with the mounting bolts inserted through the rear of the caliper instead of the side/front. This makes the caliper more rigid, which improves brake feel over a wider range of operation
- A separate brake pad is used for each piston. One large pad can deform with the heat generated by hard braking, resulting in a loss of brake feel at the lever. Individual pads provide increased cooling efficiency and can absorb more heat without deforming so they maintain consistent brake feel under extreme conditions
- Petal design front and rear brake rotors provide enhanced cooling and better warp resistance
- Radial-pump front brake master cylinder improves brake performance and lever feel
Tetra-Lever Shaft Drive
- Unique four-link design significantly reduces driveline lash during sport riding and provides smooth acceleration when exploiting the engine’s incredible power output
- Virtually maintenance free, the Tetra Lever system dramatically reduces routine maintenance requirements
Antilock Brake System (Concours™ 14 ABS)
- ABS brakes boost safety and rider confidence in low-traction conditions and may enhance evasive maneuvering in an emergency
Bodywork Optimized for Sport Touring
- Fairing design promotes smooth airflow around the rider and passenger with minimal buffeting
- Integrated, locking hard luggage offers plenty of storage, without disrupting the Concours 14’s style or performance
- Electrically adjustable vented windscreen
- Large, comfortable seat offers long-distance comfort for both rider and passenger
- Glove box mounted on the fuel tank cover
Full Instrumentation
- Easy to read speedometer and tachometer
- Multi-function LCD digital display includes an odometer, two trip meters, fuel gauge, gear position indicator and a clock
- A CAN (Controller Area Network) interface between the gauges uses fewer wires while allowing a greater volume of information, such as estimated fuel mileage, to be exchanged
- Kawasaki Smart key system (KI-PASS)
- Tire pressure sensors

Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:57 pm

Potential

Never rode a Jap bike, but this one has potential.
Rock
post #11 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 8:05 pm

I noticed that there was no mention of ESA or a cruise control. Other than that, this thing may match up pretty good against the GT.

Marshall, Tx

post #12 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I noticed that there was no mention of ESA or a cruise control. Other than that, this thing may match up pretty good against the GT.
Didn't see that power outlets (powerful alternators) would be made for heating systems and toys.
post #13 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 8:50 pm

Red face

Wave rotors.....WAVE ROTORS!!!!!.............Oh I loves wave rotors!!!!
post #14 of 40 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:31 pm

Garage
IF (and it's a big if with Kawa) this hits the market, when will it be available? This time next year? I wonder if they will have a model at the International Motorcycle shows

Lookin good! With a painted trunk to match the bike for additional storage, NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #15 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have a 2004 LT for sale the day after my local dealer gets their first one in.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #16 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 3:27 am

I have been looking for a second bike to PLAY with just for me, for solo riding, man this looks good. It is high on the list!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #17 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
IF (and it's a big if with Kawa) this hits the market, when will it be available? This time next year? I wonder if they will have a model at the International Motorcycle shows

Lookin good! With a painted trunk to match the bike for additional storage, NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They a release in 2007 as an '08. I'm thinking Mar/Apr timeframe.

Bertha will be on the market after Jan 1 - maybe sooner.

A first year, first generation and a first year second generation in the same garage....I can't wait!!!

Marshall, Tx

post #18 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wink Re: You're so RIGHT!

Quote:
Us Concours owners have been waiting a long time for this! WOOHOO!!!
Yes, we have been waiting 20 years. My 88 is still going strong and it still has the original rear drive, now with 79k. Looks like my 88 may be retired in a couple of years.

I was looking at the GT as its replacement, now I have two to look at and knowing the history of both manufacturers, I have an idea it may be K's Concours 14. They just need to have one in RED, bright red.

As for my LT, I doubt it going anywhere, wife loves riding on it. But if I have to replace one more rear drive, it will be a goner. I'll just have to become a Wing owner.

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #19 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:08 am

I just got this in an email from the COG Industry Liasion.....

The
new bike looks great and as you have already heard it will be a 2008 model.
It should be at the dealers sometime in March, I believe if I remember
correctly
. One of the pictures I am sending has a list of features, but no
specifications at this time. Price was not announced either.

Marshall, Tx

post #20 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:37 am

Pretty cool looking but will it hold up like BMW's do. I liked the looks of the Concours but the engine seemed small for all day riding. I like the looks of the HD clone Vulcan, I'll just have to see what they look like before I consider it a tourer
post #21 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycs
Pretty cool looking but will it hold up like BMW's do. I liked the looks of the Concours but the engine seemed small for all day riding. I like the looks of the HD clone Vulcan, I'll just have to see what they look like before I consider it a tourer

I've only heard of 1 rear drive going on a Connie in 20yrs. I rode mine on a roundtrip 3200 mile run in June - no issues at all. And it rolled 118K by the time I pulled into my garage after that trip. I'm now at 120K. She's been in the shop twice in the 17yrs I've had her. First time back in '89 for warranty work, the 2nd time 3 yrs ago for carb work. Been trailered twice in those 17yrs: once to move it down here, the other time when I had a flat and no repair kit. Never once has she left me stranded on the side of the rode.

That 1 liter will drone ALL day at 90mph with NO problems. Pound for pound, the Connie has been one of the best bargains out there. She may be outdated, but she's great fun. I have no doubt the Councours14 will be just a good.

(Can ya tell I love my Connie?)

Marshall, Tx

post #22 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montycs
Pretty cool looking but will it hold up like BMW's do.
Not sure the term "hold up" applies here. The Concours, though maybe a bit buzzy sometimes and dated, IS a bike bike that gets a reputation for holding up. Very well..
post #23 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I can guarantee that your passenger will hate it as much as you will love it!
The seat is leaning forward and your SO will end up humping you every time you decelerate, let alone brake hard.
Hence not a threat to the LT, as JCarver mentioned... and I am not sure how much of a Sport Tourer this will be as opposed to just being a Ninja with saddlebags and higher handlebars.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #24 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
...The seat is leaning forward and your SO will end up humping you every time you decelerate, let alone brake hard...
Hmmmm....

There are some people who would pay good money for that option on a BMW.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #25 of 40 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 10:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Hmmmm....

There are some people who would pay good money for that option on a BMW.
Just too bad you are wearing ATGATT...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #26 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 1:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Just too bad you are wearing ATGATT...!
Depends on the specific gear, now doesn't it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #27 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 5:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Depends on the specific gear, now doesn't it.
This thread is officially hijacked. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist responding to the previous comment. Let's get back on track and talk about the new Concours!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #28 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 6:08 am

Quote:
I am not sure how much of a Sport Tourer this will be as opposed to just being a Ninja with saddlebags and higher handlebars.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #29 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Let's get back on track and talk about the new Concours!
Just adding a bit of humor. Not much else to say about the new Kawi, until we start getting ride reports from the magazines, or better yet, from us mere mortals.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #30 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:43 am

Adios to which BMW? I don't see anything there to make me ride it as opposed to the LT
post #31 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Not necessarily a bad thing... but in my mind a ST should be comfortable enough to go on long rides, possibly 2 up. With my old Connie that was impossible. The SO at the time was constantly bitching about the lack of comfort blah blah blah... You get the picture!
I have buddies on Honda STs and their bikes are a lot more comfortable than my Connie ever was, both solo and 2 UP.
Like I said earlier, the passenger on the Connie hated the bike as much as I liked it.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #32 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Having not seen this new Connie, let alone had a chance to sit on it, I don't think there's a fair comparison. But I do know what you mean. By the time I get my big posterior on it, it doesn't leave much room for the frau, hence the purchase of Bertha. And now she can't ride any more, hence my decision to sell the LT and get the Concours14.

Marshall, Tx

post #33 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Having not seen this new Connie, let alone had a chance to sit on it, I don't think there's a fair comparison. But I do know what you mean. By the time I get my big posterior on it, it doesn't leave much room for the frau, hence the purchase of Bertha. And now she can't ride any more, hence my decision to sell the LT and get the Concours14.
You may be on to something there...!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #34 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:04 pm

I agree....for a tourer in North America, no cruise control, no sale.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #35 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

More pics

more pics over here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=167853&page=5

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #36 of 40 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
Adios to which BMW? I don't see anything there to make me ride it as opposed to the LT
Speed man just speed, for some it is a sickness. Be the most addictive drug in the world if you could bottle and sell it.
Rock
post #37 of 40 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 3:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

my two cents....

I LOVED my 2000 RT, the loaner 2006 RT I had for a week danced like Fred Astaire (something about cutting 200 pounds and adding 40 HP...) but it was too ugly and too "flimsy-feeling" --if that makes any sense-- for me...plus even though it was stripped (no heated grips, no esa, no gps, no audio, no goodies), it still had a sticker of almost SEVENTEEN GRAND.

We're talking a sport-tourer based on an engine with almost 190 horsepower, folks, even if they de-tune it, and you lose some to the shaft drive, it's gonna have almost as many ponies at the rear wheel as the k1200S...with full fairing, big and adjustable windscreen, and if they add cruise, "all the bells and whistles" at likely 550 pounds or so. Give it a couple months and an aftermarket seat for real two-up will be available, as will a top case. I'll be making the ten hour ride to Deal's gap twice a month, and will have to bring spare foot pegs with to replace the ones I grind off in full lean...

I agree with the Uncle, speed and power is very addictive. The bike mags complain that the ninja zx-14 doesn't get "fun" until after 90 mph (which by the way you can easily hit well below redline in FIRST GEAR) because of its gearing...but the unofficial and official press release info says that the "Connie" version would be tweaked to place more of the powerband much lower in the rpm range. I.E., more grins per mile, and you, the ol' lady, and luggage can smoke everything short of a gixxer or a 'busa while listening to xm radio...

We can talk and type all we want, but I don't see BMW putting the K1200S and K1200R engine into an LT for at least two-three years, if that, and if they do without trimming our babies down from the 830+ pounds wet weight, those of us still suffering from throttle-induced adrenaline addiction are still going to keep mouthing the word "mooooorrrrrrreeeeeee" no matter how many aftermarket chips, remus exhausts, K&N air filter systems, "cut the brown wires" and other options we try.

I rode a k1200S for 6 hours and loved it, the engine on that thing was like butter and I've never experienced brakes that worked as well on any vehicle...but I needed a neck brace and a chiropractor after six hours and damn near hugged my full windscreen on my RT when I got it back from being serviced.

I came THIS close to buying an 06 FJR before the deal of a lifetime gave me my dream used LT, when cycle world printed a mock-up of what a zx-14 based concours would look like, all I said was "if they make one with ABS, I'll sell a kidney, take a second job, or rob the 7-11 down the street, because I'll HAVE to have one."

I do agree, however, that if they don't make one in that "cherry bomb red" that they have the ninja zx-14 in this year, they are making an enormous mistake...but I'd take one in black in a heartbeat.

c'mon lotto.....

Maybe if I add a "service charge" to the Droppers Anonymous pins of, say, $100 each.......

.......nah.

post #38 of 40 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 3:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

motorcycle usa says it has an accessory plug and that the windscreen has been engineered to route air adjustably, not just block it...

I want one, I want one, I want one, I don't want to get rid of my LT in the process, but I want one

post #39 of 40 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 5:39 am

Nice bike! But...I've never owned a kaw, probably never will other than possibly an enduro. I just don't like the way they package things?? Can't always put my finger on it....

No regrets on my purchase of an S this week....but, I think my height and ergo's fit the S really well, I'm quite comfy on that bike.

I did put 12k on my first honda in 6 months (decades ago) and would most likely consider another one before I went with a Kaw, for no particular reason other than preference.

whoever gets on first owes us a ride report!

regards!...geo
post #40 of 40 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It is still a Kawasaki

A good friend just bought a 06 connie for under $8000.00 Another good friend is eyeing up a RT for $18,000.00 Is there a $10k difference?

The new rear connie looks like a para lever mechanism on the BMW's UMMMM.

What else is borrowed? A mere larger engine is not always a good thing. What good is it if it handles like not so good ?

Yes it will sell like hot cakes. But it still a Kawasaki nice package but not as complete as a BMW package. Is BMW worth the premium?? your dollars your choice.

Kawi does make a solid durable package solid engines and drive trains. Handling and advanced technology is in my opinion always going to be second to what BMW produces. Reliability...

I have driven a 90's connie and my LT is not in jeopardy of loosing favor.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in