No Foot Down = Ticket? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 5:54 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question No Foot Down = Ticket?

I read here that if you stop without putting a foot down you can get a ticket. I don't have the experience you all do, so that was news to me.

I guess I can understand the principle that if you don't have a foot down you can't be completely stopped. But what if you are so good at slow speeds (some are, I'm not) that you can stop -- truly stop -- for a moment and then resume forward motion? Is that just a California law, or is it pretty universal?

Guess I'm just asking, in general terms, what's behind the requirement to have a foot down. Inquiring minds, you know...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:00 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

No sir it's a law here in Texas also.I have been told by a sherif friend of mine that if the cop wants to be picky they can ticket you if you not put both feet down But they usealy don't get that picky thankfully

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:12 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
No sir it's a law here in Texas also...
Interesting. I'll have to ask a local LEO some time.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:38 am

Hey Howard, pretty much universal (at least in the US), just depends on the LEO.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I read here that if you stop without putting a foot down you can get a ticket. I don't have the experience you all do, so that was news to me.

I guess I can understand the principle that if you don't have a foot down you can't be completely stopped. But what if you are so good at slow speeds (some are, I'm not) that you can stop -- truly stop -- for a moment and then resume forward motion? Is that just a California law, or is it pretty universal?

Guess I'm just asking, in general terms, what's behind the requirement to have a foot down. Inquiring minds, you know...
I'm not sure Howard as far as law reads.
I have lost a slow ride contest to an LEO in Miami, the course was 50' long. I finished in 2minutes 32 seconds he finished in 2.58. Neither of us put our foot down (instant disqualification) or left our lane.
I would say there were times when we were dead stopped.
Rock
post #6 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:29 am

Quote:

i think it was TN or NC (up by the gap someplace), someone and I can't remember who 9not someone off this list someone I know elsewhere) got a ticket for not stoping because he did not have BOTH feet on the ground.

or some crap like that

but you know how stories go.....

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #7 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 9:19 am

I've practiced that come to a feet-up stop trick all the time and rarely accomplish it. Useful practice for a slow race though. I remember from some list conversation somewhere that motor LEO's are taught the trick but I don't know if that's true or not. Motorman?

I can see why you would get a ticket from an officers point of view. You can only halt for a second and not put a foot down. As far as he's concerned, that's not enough of a stop to safely look for oncoming traffic.

But getting a ticket for not putting BOTH feet down is wrong.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #8 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTsaddledance
I've practiced that come to a feet-up stop trick all the time and rarely accomplish it. Useful practice for a slow race though. I remember from some list conversation somewhere that motor LEO's are taught the trick but I don't know if that's true or not. Motorman?

I can see why you would get a ticket from an officers point of view. You can only halt for a second and not put a foot down. As far as he's concerned, that's not enough of a stop to safely look for oncoming traffic.

But getting a ticket for not putting BOTH feet down is wrong.
it jsut takes practice, I use to run alot of slow races on the HD, they are much easier to hold at a stand still with those big flywheels turning round and round!

Tom

post #9 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 1:34 pm
Gold Supporter

Being a recently retired Texas LEO I pulled out the trusty traffic section and looked it up. There is no distinction for a stop between a cage and a motorcycle, simply states "Must come to a complete stop" and I know I can come to a complete stop without pulling my feet off the pegs, as majority of riders can, so like some have said, the LEO would have some discretion here, but by the book there is nothing stated about feet.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #10 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 2:13 pm

The cops were freely handing out tickets for not putting both feet down in Sturgis in the '80s.Supposedly was a South Dakota law, but I don't know of anyone who challenged it.I think it was mostly a sneaky fund raiser back when riding a motorcyle was socially unacceptable.Probably wouldn't get away with it today with all the lawyers at Sturgis.

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville
post #11 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 2:27 pm

Well I dont know but I have been told!

I ride with a couple of leo's and I dont always put down my feet at a stop,
have not had any coment on it. In fact all they usualy say man that bike is fast.
But, Who knows?

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #12 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Well I dont know but I have been told!

I ride with a couple of leo's and I dont always put down my feet at a stop,
have not had any coment on it. In fact all they usualy say man that bike is fast.
But, Who knows?
I likes riding with LEO's!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 4:11 pm

I was a motorcop. I wrote a ticket to a rider that slowed to about 5 - 10mph before riding through a stop sign. When we went to court I testified that he did not stop, was at an estimated speed of 5 - 10 mph, wheels and tires turning, and did not place a foot down at the stop. I realize that not everyone has to put a foot down to come to a complete stop, but this guy did have to. He was inexperienced and didn't even have a M/C endorsement. I added this to my testimony knowing that MOST people have to put a foot down when they come to a COMPLETE stop. The rider stated to the magistrate that he came to a complete stop and didn't have to put any feet down to come to a complete stop. The magistrate wanted proof and made the rider attempt to stop with no feet down in the parking lot of the courthouse. Couldn't be done by the rider on this day, or any other I suspect. I testified "no feet down " as only one of the indications that he did not stop; not the ONLY reason I thought that he did not stop.

I can't speak for anybody else, LEO or otherwise, but a stop, is a stop. I only care that you STOPPED, not how many, if any, feet are down. There are MANY riders that can stop with both feet on the pegs (or boards) for a very long time. I don't care if they stop with both feet up; as long as they stop.
post #14 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyO
There are MANY riders that can stop with both feet on the pegs (or boards) for a very long time. I don't care if they stop with both feet up; as long as they stop.
Kewl. I've personally heard friends tales of getting tickets for not putting at least one foot down. I reckon the next time I stop with a cop behind me I'll give it a whirl and see what happens Of course, I'll get the youngster in his John Wayne phase and he'll not only ticket me, but arrest me for reckless riding.

Oh wait, I don't have a bike anymore C'mon October, c'mon GT!!!

But, I do think I have the experience, here's a shot of my speedo a few 100 shy of our very last ride together before I said, "buh-bye", to her:

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 6:47 pm

Quote:

Yup that is law in Ohio. I don't always put my foot down.
Though never got a ticket for not doing it.
Just lucky I guess or they really don't care as long as you slow down enough so it looks like you stop, a little extra break at the end to make the bike snap at the end helps. I used to be able to completly stop all the time without putting the foot down on a much lighter bike. In theory you're supposed to stop long enought to say "one mississpppi"

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #16 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

MYTH, I say!!!

You won't find a single state that statutorily defines stop as anything more than complete cessation of forward motion, any talk of "getting a ticket for not putting a foot down" or better yet "both feet down" is begging you to say "I'll bet you a steak dinner you can't come up with a copy of the ticket."

I taught cops to be motor officers for 6 1/2 years, had the privilege of running a program with 15 of the best police riders as instructors, including Dick Rothermel, a regular contributor on these forums. I will never hold a candle to his skills, but I can hold what we call a "balanced stop" (throttle open, keeping the rpms at about 1,200 to 1,500, clutch in the "friction zone," rear brake feathered to counter--head up and looking downrange about 100 feet for balance and frame of reference) for an easy 5 seconds without warming up--not moving an inch, both feet on the pegs.

One exercise we used in training is called the "bump and run" where you ride up to a cone, bringing your front tire a few inches from the cone, do the above technique for as long as you can, then when the bike leans, you steer/countersteer around the cone. On a Harley Roadking, it's a little easier than on an RT or an LT, but with practice, it's easy to do, and I get a personal "kick" out of doing it at stopsign intersections (my daughter likes to count how long I can hold the stop and tells me via helmet intercom).

In police motorcycle "rodeos," a couple hotshots have upped the idle on their HD road kings to about 1,400 rpm and deflated tire pressure by 15 lbs, enabling them to pull of the stunning trick of coming to a balanced stop, using clutch modulation and rear brake to balance the bike against the throttle that is upped by the increased idle, then taking their right hand off the bar, removing a cigarrette with their right hand, lighting it, replacing the lighter, and riding away, all the time with their feet on the floor boards.

My personal record for a balanced stop on a Road King was 9.5 seconds--stopwatch timed by my wife, rolling eyes and all, haven't tried on an LT yet.

So...if I ever got a ticket for the alleged offense of "not putting a foot down," I'd bring in a video of me holding a balanced stop for five seconds and "educate" the judge and traffic cop, even though I was one.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #17 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
I taught cops to be motor officers for 6 1/2 years, had the privilege of running a program with 15 of the best police riders as instructors, including Dick Rothermel, a regular contributor on these forums. I will never hold a candle to his skills, but I can hold what we call a "balanced stop" (throttle open, keeping the rpms at about 1,200 to 1,500, clutch in the "friction zone," rear brake feathered to counter--head up and looking downrange about 100 feet for balance and frame of reference) for an easy 5 seconds without warming up--not moving an inch, both feet on the pegs.
Excellent! Thanks for explaining the trick Pete. Time for practice.

Quote:
In police motorcycle "rodeos," a couple hotshots have upped the idle on their HD road kings to about 1,400 rpm and deflated tire pressure by 15 lbs, enabling them to pull of the stunning trick of coming to a balanced stop, using clutch modulation and rear brake to balance the bike against the throttle that is upped by the increased idle, then taking their right hand off the bar, removing a cigarrette with their right hand, lighting it, replacing the lighter, and riding away, all the time with their feet on the floor boards.
Now that I'd love to see.

Steve S.

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #18 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 7:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

OK, I think I've heard from several experts and a couple of REAL experts. Thanks for that. An interesting discussion.

I, personally, cannot do what some of you describe (i.e., come to a true stop, balance w/no feet down, and continue on). I always put at least 1 foot down (left first, always); the few times I don't put a foot down... it was a rolling stop. I'm doing less and less of those, and more true stops for safety's sake. I find I don't get a good look left and right without coming to a true stop because I'm concerned about falling at that slow speed.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #19 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 9:09 pm
Gold Supporter

Howard,

Ride your own ride and do what you have to do.

Also remember, you can talk yourself into a ticket easier than out of one, which could be the case for some who have received citations for it.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #20 of 83 Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 9:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When I got my 2 wheeler license many moons ago in Illinois, they even called the no foot down stop a "cop stop".

Never have had any problems.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #21 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 12:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Howard,

Practice "dragging" the rear brake and riding as SLOWLY, under power, as you can until you can every once in a while (with rear brake only, NOT front) pause completely as you practice it, and within an hour or two you'll be "cop-stopping" like a pro.

One practical application of the technique is when you find yourself on a road surface that isn't pristine, or on the rare occassion when you are wearing footwear that isn't typical riding gear...i.e. "dress shoes" which could cause an issue if you had to put a foot down and slipped...you can keep your feet clean and look cool at the same time.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #22 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 2:46 am
IBR# 366

Garage
It's all about balance and control, and knowing your bike very well. A truly skilled rider can do a no-foot-down stop without thinking about it. Or a lock-to-lock u-turn, for that matter.

Yes, the LT's size, weight, and geometry can make these tasks a bit more difficult, but it was never meant to be a beginner's bike. You wouldn't learn to drive in a Greyhound bus or a dual-trailer 18-wheeler either (though it could be done if you're so inclined).

If you're not comfortable doing any of these maneuvers, then read all the riding technique books, take some advanced riding courses, and practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 2:54 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots

Oh wait, I don't have a bike anymore:
yup some folks jus think motorcycling is a hobby and sell them off every now and then and find something else to do........

(ya see I'm still riding while waiting for me new steed!)

Quote:
But, I do think I have the experience, here's a shot of my speedo a few 100 shy of our very last ride together before I said, "buh-bye", to her:
well I see you have to have something to remember the "day" with!

I can't believe you only have that amount of miles to remember her with though

so hows it feel to be in a cage? or are you just staying at home these days?

Tom

Tom

post #24 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 6:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Howard,

Ride your own ride and do what you have to do.

Also remember, you can talk yourself into a ticket easier than out of one, which could be the case for some who have received citations for it.

AMEN, BROTHER!!!!
post #25 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 7:41 am

An other view from a motor cop. Stop signs, turning on a red light etc......... What we call in Florida is a California stop, not coming to a complete stop just rolling through the stop sign stop light. We all know nobody comes to a "complete" stop, so what do you do. Most cops I work with allows this. As long as the speed that the vehicle approaches the traffic control devise changes and is around 5 mph, your good in my books. You do not have to put feet down in my neck of the woods.

Remember that laws are different and each city, town, county and highway officer will enforce them different.

I truly agree with you can talk your way into one faster then you can out of one especially with an attitude.
post #26 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
yup some folks jus think motorcycling is a hobby and sell them off every now and then and find something else to do........
I hear quilting is very exciting and rewarding, too.

Quote:
I can't believe you only have that amount of miles to remember her with though
I'm a slacker along with the malcontent thang.

Quote:
so hows it feel to be in a cage?
It sucks and has added angst to the wait. The ideal thang woulda been to wait till the GT was here, but when fishing, you set the hook when the nibble occurs. I still have my Kawasaki Mule. It's not a bike, but does have the word Kawasaki in it.

Quote:
or are you just staying at home these days?
I usually spend my days sitting in a dark room trembling.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #27 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:01 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
An other view from a motor cop. Stop signs, turning on a red light etc......... What we call in Florida is a California stop, not coming to a complete stop just rolling through the stop sign stop light. We all know nobody comes to a "complete" stop, so what do you do. Most cops I work with allows this. As long as the speed that the vehicle approaches the traffic control devise changes and is around 5 mph, your good in my books. You do not have to put feet down in my neck of the woods.

Remember that laws are different and each city, town, county and highway officer will enforce them different.

I truly agree with you can talk your way into one faster then you can out of one especially with an attitude.
Thanks.

On the bike, I find myself stopping 99.99% of the time with 1 or both feet down. The only time I don't come to a true, complete stop is on some of the very rural roads I travel near my home where you can see a mile in either direction. That might happen 2 or 3 times/week. In the car I do a lot more "5 mph" stops (AKA rolling stops). For me the difference is the balance issue, especially two-up -- I can do a more controlled stop and turn while riding the bike by coming to a complete stop. Takes more time, but (for me) it's safer and smoother for my passenger.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #28 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:02 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
...I usually spend my days sitting in a dark room trembling.
Why not go buy a cheapie used bike in the interim? Might be enough to satisfy that two-wheel wanderlust...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #29 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:02 am

Quote:
Hey Howard, pretty much universal (at least in the US), just depends on the LEO.
Man, after hearing our LEO's chime in, I retract this statement.

Now, how do y'all feel about stopping at red lights

-=grif=-

Grok
post #30 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:16 am

Quote:
Man, after hearing our LEO's chime in, I retract this statement.

Now, how do y'all feel about stopping at red lights
Only part I hate is having to leave the casa alwayz dressed for the camera!!
post #31 of 83 Old Sep 24th, 2006, 8:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I learned to ride, and stop, in France where the "1 foot down or else" law applies to bicycles as well as motorcycles.
I am not sure if all LEOs in California enforce that law as well, but they sure damn do in Los Angeles where pretty much everything you do is a source of revenues.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #32 of 83 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:18 am

If you are taking the driving test for your MC endorsement here in Maryland and put both feet down at stop you are penalized. Our handbook says to keep the right foot on the brake at stop.
post #33 of 83 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:46 am

Angry That's tough!

These laws must have been authored by MC haters! One foot down or else!! I guess I don't understand. When did we give the Government this kind of power?

What ever happened to the "Spirit of the law" or "innocent until proven guilty". If the sign says STOP, and all forward motion relative to the earth (relative to space we are never stopped!) is instantaneously stopped, then you are stopped (Newton and Einstein would agree). Any rider worth his salt can execute a complete stop on level pavement 80% of the time without losing his balance enough to have to put one foot down!

So with the "one foot down law", you can cruise up to a stop, dragging one toe and roll through? Or do they have a minimum criteria for how big your feet are and what style soles are on your boots?

I would love to see the look on a Judge's face when some physics student that gets ticketed for failure to put a foot down eats some courtroom lunch...

The intent of the Stop sign is to PREVENT accidents. It called "Traffic Control", not mind control! Fight back. Judges are much more open to "common sense" than you might imagine!

I commit myself daily to not putting any feet down. In fact I commute about 20 miles in city traffic and judge the "success" of the commute by the number of times I HAD to put feet down (the fewer the better!)... This can be a little challenging on a K12LT (Center of gravity is high compared to most bikes).
post #34 of 83 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMilliron
Any rider worth his salt can execute a complete stop on level pavement 80% of the time without losing his balance enough to have to put one foot down!
I can easily say that I don't stop 80% of the time "feet up", mainly because I don't try it much. It's just something I don't really practice other than maybe for a slow race. But with 27 years and a few hundred thousand miles on street bikes, I think I consider myself "worth my salt" anyway.

Not that I ain't willin to learn a new skill mind you. The "feet up" stop trick is one I've already said I'd like to master, but on reflection, I'm not really sure how much I'd use it on the street. It's not a skill that makes me a safer/better rider. Learning to do wheelies is cool but not safe. Learning how NOT to come to a full stop with time and concentration to look for traffic movement, ain't safe either. Like a wheelie it shows skill and is cool, but it's not safe road riding.

JMHO

Steve S.

post #35 of 83 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Withdrawal will set in soon!

Quote:
I hear quilting is very exciting and rewarding, too.
Grif,

Ive been told by a very reliable source that motorcycle riding is addictive. So ya better watch out for them there signs of withdrawal. They usually start in 3-4 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warning copy.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	7054  

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #36 of 83 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
Grif,

Ive been told by a very reliable source that motorcycle riding is addictive. So ya better watch out for them there signs of withdrawal. They usually start in 3-4 days.
OH, I had the Jones the second I signed the title over. It was mentioned to just buy a beater till the GT gets here. I got to thinking how good Sandar the mag has been about all this, how she hasn't blinked an eye when a box a day shows up with farkles for a bike I don't have and what her reaction would be if I rode up on a "new" motorcycle. I think I would need a Surgeon General muy pronto like.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #37 of 83 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:50 am

Track stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
When I got my 2 wheeler license many moons ago in Illinois, they even called the no foot down stop a "cop stop".

Never have had any problems.
Being a bicycle racer in my youth, I learned the technique as a "track stop". On a road bike with a ratcheted, free-wheeling rear sprocket, you basically do the same thing as motorbike: Keep controlled torque on the rear wheel while modulating the brakes. You don't have the benefit of a flywheel, however. So, you need to cock the front wheel about 30 deg and cantilever your body over on the side of the bike the wheel is pointed. On a track racing bicycle, there are no brakes and the rear sprocket is fixed. You then have to control torque at the rear wheel for both foreward and reverse. (In competition you are dsqualified for rolling in reverse).

A track stop was/(is?) often done at stale red traffic signals because disengaging and re-entering the old pedals and toe-clips was such a PITA. Nowadays they gots them click-in-out strapless pedals so track stops are more about showing off.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #38 of 83 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 9:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Confirming what my fellow LEOs said earlier, in Texas there is no statutory requirement to put one's foot (or feet) down when stopping, nor is there a statutory amount of time to remain stopped. The only requirement is cessation of forward motion, and not proceeding until it is safe to do so.

If the wheels did not stop turning, the bike was still moving forward. It really can be that simple. Clearly there are those who can stop without putting a foot down. I can do it, although not for more than a few seconds.

The stories of folks being ticketed for not putting one foot (or both feet) down fits well with the stories of those who got a ticket for being in an intersection when the light turned red. As PeteVanDyke put it, it's a good time to ask to see a copy of the citation if you want to call BS on the teller. That said, urban myths can lead to good conversation and fun.

Simplifying and summarizing the Texas Transportation Code, light meanings are generally as follows:

Green: Permission to enter the intersection is granted.
Yellow: Permission to enter the intersection is about to be terminated.
Red: No permission to enter the intersection.

It's not whether you are in the intersection on red, it is whether you enter on red.

There are other vehicle/driver/citation urban myths and misunderstandings, but we could go on for days about them

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #39 of 83 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:50 am

Just to be a part of this thread, I'd like to ask if anyone has ever watched an Observed Trials rider discuss strategy for a section with his/her coach/trainer??

These people never put a foot down, standing stock still, pointing and gesturing with either hand, for whatever time it takes! They don't seem to care if the engine is running or not, either!

For anyone to say that someone with this type of skill NEEDS to put a foot down, is rediculous! I think most experienced street riders are capable of a complete standstill for 2-3 seconds, but it certainly is possible for someone to do it for whatever time span they desire.

Seems I remember the Motorcycle Shows did a 'competition' about this several years ago. A winner in NYC's show stood still for something around 30 minutes, IIRC.

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA
post #40 of 83 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 2:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Texas.. "officers" have told me they look to see you "roll back" then move forward.. or have both feet down and no movement of bike for a "second or so"...

Reminds me of the guy in Louisiana who did a "California" stop at a "STOP" sign. The officer observing the "infraction" executed a "traffic stop" on the California licensed vehicle.

Officer approaced vehicle.. asked driver.. "Did you see that STOP sign back there?"
Califorinia driver... "Yes, I slowed down"
Officer.. "Sir, that was a STOP sign, now a SLOW DOWN sign.."
California driver.. "I looked both directions and no one was coming .. and I did SLOW DOWN..
Repeat last 2 statement several times....

California driver.. "I really don't see the problem here, OFFICER.. I don't see the difference. Can you explain it to me?"

Officer... "Yes, Sir, I can help you with that." Officer reaches into the vehicle, pulls driver through window and begins to apply "educational remidiation" about the Californian's head and shoulders... then carefully enunciates the following:

"ok, SIR, you tell me, should I SLOW DOWN or STOP?"

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #41 of 83 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 8:50 pm

I've never been given a ticket (or handed one out when I did that stuff) for "failure to stop" at a stop sign even when there was an officer behind me. As with about 90% of BMW riders, we can come to a complete stop and move on without too much trouble.

Should an officer give me a ticket for something this simple, I'm sure a short demonstration of a complete stop with your feet up would prove to any judge, jury or local copper that it is a normal thing.

A stop is a stop. Don't need to have the feet down as far as I can tell.

As to my state of Florida, I really don't know what it says, but I'll be checking it out next week when I get back home for sure.

AD

2014 BMW R1200RTw

IBA #3281 Blue Knights
Life AMA, ABATE, HOG, VHPA
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified NRA Instructor in a bunch of things
post #42 of 83 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:01 pm

Reckon stopping without putting a foot down purdy much confirms the sobriety thang?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #43 of 83 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:24 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Reckon stopping without putting a foot down purdy much confirms the sobriety thang?
Not if you're doing the Macarena in an elf suit at the time.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #44 of 83 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 1:39 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:

Howard, there is no such requirement in CA. If you are talented enough to make a complete stop without putting your foot (feet) down, more power to you!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #45 of 83 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:20 am

I don't have to worry about this. If I tried a no foot down stop, it would take me several seconds, maybe even a few minutes, and two men and a small boy to pick up the LT so I could get back on it.

Now with the Majesty, I could do it.

"A man has got to know his limitations."
post #46 of 83 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 7:25 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefMn
The cops were freely handing out tickets for not putting both feet down in Sturgis in the '80s.Supposedly was a South Dakota law, but I don't know of anyone who challenged it.I think it was mostly a sneaky fund raiser back when riding a motorcyle was socially unacceptable.Probably wouldn't get away with it today with all the lawyers at Sturgis.
Talk about chicken shit!

I see no reason for a cite like that......even to the H-D boys.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #47 of 83 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 7:30 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587

Yup, our "stops" seem to be famous throughout the nation.

I've described the "California stop" or "California roll" in court as a rolling through a stop sign at 3-5 MPH. And NO, I don't cite for it!

post #48 of 83 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 7:39 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
...I've described the "California stop" or "California roll" in court as a rolling through a stop sign at 3-5 MPH. And NO, I don't cite for it!
I'm curious: why not?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #49 of 83 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 7:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Howard,

Have you ever gone fishing? Have you ever caught ALL of the fish? You can't cite every violation, and that is why LEOs are given discretionary leeway in their enforcement activities. I think if you ask most officers, each will have their pet peeves among violations. Mine were unrestrained children, no insurance, and of course, DUI. I know others who got chafed by expired tags and inspections, and others who looked for the "California Roll."

While occasionally there may be cause to cite for not completely stopping, such as at a high accident rate intersection, a warning often goes a long way towards securing compliance.

If you take the view that citations are used to obtain compliance with the law by changing inappropriate behavior, and not just as a revenue source for the jurisdiction, then it follows that warnings can also be a deterrent to future violations.

Just my $0.02.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #50 of 83 Old Dec 24th, 2006, 8:33 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Howard,

Have you ever gone fishing? Have you ever caught ALL of the fish? You can't cite every violation, and that is why LEOs are given discretionary leeway in their enforcement activities. I think if you ask most officers, each will have their pet peeves among violations. Mine were unrestrained children, no insurance, and of course, DUI. I know others who got chafed by expired tags and inspections, and others who looked for the "California Roll."..
Got it. Now I understand.

Curiosity resolved!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in