Deal or no deal??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

Deal or no deal???

So I sold my LT this morning and the $$ is burning a hole in my pocket.
Here's the contender: '05 R1200RT, 1300mi, with $4200 in goodies including:am/fm/cd, large top case, cruise, ESA, htd seat/grips. etc.Immaculate! $15k. About $22k new. I discovered the hard way that the market is soft for the LT. Trying to be more careful this time. So is this a deal?

Last edited by flyby; Sep 20th, 2006 at 8:21 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 8:16 pm

What the hell are you waiting for? Buy it!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #3 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 7:00 am

Rt Vs LT

Have you taken a test ride on the RT?

I rode one and wouldn't give you $15 for one much less $15K.

Note: I had the K100 and was looking at the R1200 RT Vs the LT when I did this test ride.

Just my $.02 cents for the penny it is worth.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 7:29 am

WHat are other RTs going for? Is the market as "Soft" for them, as it is for the LT? "Soft" is a pretty funny assessment of the market for the LT. Of course that's how I got a pretty good deal on mine, so I shan't complain. I know I looked at LTs for months on ebay and noticed they rarely went to the reserve, which I can only assume was at or above NADA or KBB. I know you;re excited, I get the same way, BUT if you can wait and see if the market has any better deals, you may score something even better for less. Waiting around saved me $1300 and got me a nicer bike with half the miles.

Good luck with your search and keeping the patience.
Rando
post #5 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 7:54 am

Swindler's point of view

For getting the best deal on a bike always between Turkey and Christmas.
Thats when some poor souls give in to the old ladies wanting to spend a huge amounts, of too much money on the kids with whom they spend too little time.
Should you take advantage of it is up to you. I always do!
Best one ever was a 57 Panhead w/15K Christmas eve morning, for $2500.00
Almost set my pants on fire from the friction of pulling out the money so fast.
Do I feel bad that they are selling their bikes? Hell no, if they are that much of a dumbass, I don't want them riding by me anyhow.
Rock
post #6 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 8:32 am

try a lowball offer and let the seller decide for you. lotsa bikes out there and it can be fun to send out numerous "they'll never take this" offers. you'll be surprised....
post #7 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:42 pm
Bouncer

GT, dude. GT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
GT, dude. GT.
Don't feel like droppin' 20 large, dude.
post #9 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 1:01 pm

I must have missed the post where you say why you were selling a LT and looking for an RT. I went the other way- I didn't really like the RT for several reasons, and now am a very happy LT owner.

The bike you are considering certainly sounds like a good deal, so why the hesitation? Do you _really_ want an RT, or is this one a deal "too good to pass up"?
post #10 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Thats when some poor souls give in to the old ladies wanting to spend a huge amounts, of too much money on the kids with whom they spend too little time.
Do I feel bad that they are selling their bikes? Hell no, if they are that much of a dumbass, I don't want them riding by me anyhow.
Rock
You ever do a radio show? May have to set ya up with an pod cast or something. Now and then you hit my funny bone so well

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #11 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 3:01 pm
fas

Talking Time to buy, time to sell, time to search.

Quote:
For getting the best deal on a bike always between Turkey and Christmas.Rock
Heed the Rock. Wait three months and save a ton. Buy low, sell high. Be patient.

My '02 LTC sold in two days on eBay for $12,000. Guy drove up from Georgia to pick it up. LT market is soft?

Ride the GT before you buy the buzzer. My brother in law loves his, but he's a Navy guy who thinks 12 Knots is quick. Coming off the smoothness of the LT powerplant, I predict you will soon find the buzzer to be less than satisfying. The joy of "the deal" will wane as the buzzing drones on and on. Personally, I prefer the power and lower cg of the GT with the dry sump, the superb suspension, and six speed. I told two dealers I was buying a GT in three days and they were bidding against each other. Even got the top case for half price.

Good luck with your search for riding bliss!

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #12 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
I must have missed the post where you say why you were selling a LT and looking for an RT. I went the other way- I didn't really like the RT for several reasons, and now am a very happy LT owner.

The bike you are considering certainly sounds like a good deal, so why the hesitation? Do you _really_ want an RT, or is this one a deal "too good to pass up"?

My '05 was killing me in bumper-to-bumper traffic (stop n' go) and in parking lots. I had 2 near drops, saved at the expense of my elbow.
I prefer my GL1800 as more well rounded tourer and certainly friendlier around town. The RT is my choice for something lighter, more athletic, and a fun change of pace. I prefer the more upright seating aggressive "sport" style ergonomics....so this fits. I think. Worst case: I'll sell it if I'm not happy. A'int America great!

Last edited by flyby; Sep 21st, 2006 at 5:57 pm.
post #13 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby
So I sold my LT this morning and the $$ is burning a hole in my pocket.
Here's the contender: '05 R1200RT, 1300mi, with $4200 in goodies including:am/fm/cd, large top case, cruise, ESA, htd seat/grips. etc.Immaculate! $15k. About $22k new. I discovered the hard way that the market is soft for the LT. Trying to be more careful this time. So is this a deal?

do you like the bike? if so buy it

want a investment buy Harley stock.......

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #14 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Rock

damn your a PITA , but this is just funny!

Good one and so darn true!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #15 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
do you like the bike? if so buy it

want a investment buy Harley stock.......
Agree 100%! Which is how I ended up buying 6 bikes in the last 5 months!
I sold 5. The RT is number 7, and the deal IS DONE, bike delivered, Wing has company in the garage.
post #16 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:00 am

Quote:
I sold 5. The RT is number 7, and the deal IS DONE, bike delivered, Wing has company in the garage.

Congrats! Enjoy the hell out of it!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #17 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 8:44 am

Quote:
I think you need to do better up-front research with regard to future purchases....
post #18 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
I think you need to do better up-front research with regard to future purchases....
Researched all of them. Read every test report and review I could find. Took test rides on each. But my needs have changed from "short runs" to the bank, lunch, etc, to 2-3 hour rides, to 1000mi. plus trips with up to 400-500mi. a day. I just returned to the 2-wheel world(Jan.'06) after a 20 year hiatus, so I started small (Vespa GT250), and several bikes later got the LT, the Wing, and the RT. Research and changing needs aside, I'm retired (plenty of free time to play) and compulsive, a DANGEROUS combination.
I'd love to tell you I follow the advice given here about "being patient", waiting for the "turkey to x-mas" timeframe, but that's just not me. At 64, I don't postpone too many things in life. Not my style. Buy a bike, don't like it, sell it. Not the end of the world. My credo is simple: Do it with gusto! And if not with gusto, at least do it! The LT sold Wednesday, the RT was in my garage Thursday. I thought the deal was ok on the RT, but sought a bit of reassurance here. And in that regard, my thanks to all for your thoughtful replies.
post #19 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 2:08 pm
fas

Cool new toys

Quote:
Researched all of them. Read every test report and review I could find. .... thanks to all for your thoughtful replies.
Good for you! Hope the new ride takes care of you.

Do you change women like this?

Ride safely and keep having fun!

A pal of mine owns a race school in Arizona. We were at dinner one night and he proudly introduced me to his wife #8. Guess what? That marriage didn't last long either........who has more fun than people?

Maybe it's cheaper to change motorcycles than wives?

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #20 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 3:27 pm

Aha! compulsive... "Now we're getting somewhere," said the Doctor....
post #21 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:02 pm

Quote:
I'd love to tell you I follow the advice given here about "being patient", waiting for the "turkey to x-mas" timeframe, but that's just not me. Not the end of the world. My credo is simple: Do it with gusto!
I understand that and can agree, however I have way more motorcycles most times than I can ride.
So when I do it, I'm making money most times. I have already bought and have the bikes I want (God forgive me I think I want them all ) thats the gusto part. I like it I live it, I ride them.
Rock
post #22 of 23 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Thumbs up take the rt

sold my new 05lt for the 1200rt love the rt.Lt was nice just to many problems part of the electronics went out 16 miles from dealer on the 1st ride home from the dealer ,multiple electronic problems
post #23 of 23 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 8:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
You ever do a radio show? May have to set ya up with an pod cast or something. Now and then you hit my funny bone so well
I did a couple stints on the "Two Wheel Power Hour" and a little local stuff.
They had talked about a regular show, but I wasn't interested. I spend to much time on the road, if something is going to cut into my riding it ain't gonna be work of anykind
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in