Just had to make a u-turn - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Just had to make a u-turn

labor day monday, I had to take my son back to college. So, since I hadn't driven the Avalanche all summer, I had 4 new tires, and an alignment done. Loaded the back, and put his '03 Honda Interceptor on the trailer, with the big stuff he was taking back (32" plasma tv, and 3 computers and a laptop, XBox, and 5.1 suround sound YIKES!)

Get him to school, all unloaded, and settled in. Chris and I head back home, southbound on the interstate, with an empty motorcycle trailer.

40 miles or so later, Chris says "oh my god..." i look over into the northbound side of the pike, and see a guy pushing a harley in the breakdown lane.

now, this is out in the middle of nowhere, in rural maine. We turned around at the next exit, and went back. he had stopped on a hill, and was taking a break. I pulled in front, and chris tells him "this is your lucky day.."

he had long hair, tattoos, and a leather vest, but he was a really nice guy. he was a former Saracen rider, but had left the gang when he got married.

we loaded up his bike, and I had it all strapped down in less than 5 minutes, loaded him in the avalanche, and I took him 12 miles to his house, where they were having a family bar-b-que. He took some serious crap from his in-laws, but he was some happy to be off the road.

What are the chances that someone who had exactly the right combination of equipment would drive by (and see him through the trees), to pick him up. remote to say the least!

so, it took less than 30 minutes of my time, and I helped out someone who surely appreciated it!

(bad coil on his bike, and the battery fried!)

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 9:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Well done!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 9:40 am

That's an awesome story. Major kudos to you.

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 9:55 am

A great "pass it on"! Now maybe someone will benefit from him doing the same.

The only time I had a chance to do something like that was when I spotted a Harley stopped on the shoulder one day when I was on the way home from work. Stopped and found he had embarrasingly run out of gas. Lucky I had come back from one of my LD rides a couple days before, and still had my ESR bottle full of emergency fuel in the top box. One more Harley rider now thinking BMW riders are not so bad after all. He was absolutely amazed at the miles on my bike. He thought he rode a lot, 30,000 miles on a 4 year old bike. Showed him my over 100,000, and he almost dropped his jaw on the ground.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:01 am

Thumbs up

Good move Mark, the right thing to do!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #6 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:20 am

The chances are exactly 100%, , but it is amazing how being nice to strangers makes us feel so good
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:34 pm
fas

Cool Hog Saving

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
...he had long hair, tattoos, and a leather vest, but he was a really nice guy. he was a former Saracen rider, but had left the gang when he got married......we loaded up his bike, and I had it all strapped down in less than 5 minutes, loaded him in the avalanche, and I took him 12 miles to his house, where they were having a family bar-b-que. He took some serious crap from his in-laws, but he was some happy to be off the road....(bad coil on his bike, and the battery fried!)
Excellent! Very kind of you to help a stranded HD rider.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 4:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mark, you were meant to be there that day with the right gear. Total Karma.
His brand of bike is totally irrelevant...
You know you did good!!!
Reminds me of the movie "Pay Forward", but with a nicer ending!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 4:39 pm

great story Mark, I had a similar experience only just local.
I was on my way to Sears with my 4x8 trailer to pickup the garden tractor I had bought my dad for his 80th birthday, when I spotted a couple pushing a Sporster, did a U-turn and took them to the Harley shop.

but I heard another story, don't know if its true, its a second hand story

A couple of Harley's on the side of the road (rural) one of them typical dirtbag biker (like I once was) is having trouble with the carburator on his Knucklehead.
Two Goldwings pull over, rider gets off and asks the HD guy if he wants some help.
The biker rudely snaps back: what could you possibly know about a F... Knucklehead!
Wingrider turns to leave and says yeah you're probably right, then stops reaches in his wallet and says: here's my card, as he gets on his bike and rides away. while the biker is left standing there with his business card that reads: Harley Davidson sales and service 35 years experience.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #10 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Thumbs up

Great story. Like Dave, I always believe in the "pass it on" rule. Good things always find their way back.

Peace,

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #11 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
The biker rudely snaps back: what could you possibly know about a F... Knucklehead!
Wingrider turns to leave and says yeah you're probably right, then stops reaches in his wallet and says: here's my card, as he gets on his bike and rides away. while the biker is left standing there with his business card that reads: Harley Davidson sales and service 35 years experience.
Wonder if they've still got his card. I could use it!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 8:20 pm

Mark,

I guess your GOF meter was registering in red that day!

Well done!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 6:53 am

I'm sure those folks were real happy to see you come by with a trailer!

Its hard to pass someone in need on a bike, even if your in a hurry.

Although...when my LT was on the back of a tow truck heading for Ft Wayne 100 miles away to get a fuel QD fixed, some HD rider made sure he passed and cut right in front of the tow truck waving us the bird...cute...just another immature a-hole that doesn't have a clue, I sure hope he feels better.

Wife and I were 2-up, NW side of MI in the lower, passed this dude in the middle of nowhere pushing a new triumph cruiser uphill!! We did a u-turn, found he was doing a test ride after just having the bike fixed and it died on him. He didn't want any help, only had a mile to go downhill so off we went.

happy trails!...geo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in