gold wing crash with air bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 9:05 am Thread Starter

gold wing crash with air bag

Sorry if this has been posted? heck now I wonder if I sw it here?

anyhow saw it on another list for the first itme

Not sure if I like it or not, I would ove to see more data first

http://tinyurl.com/jtdzc

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 9:45 am

I'd not seen it yet - so thanks for posting it.

I wish the video showed a little more - like what happened to the dummies until the bitter end. I'll say this though - it looks like w/out the bag the helmet basically gets stripped right off the head of the dummy - maybe even breaking its neck. The airbag certainly seems to prevent the initial mortal injuries - but I bet a broken leg or arm is coming as that dummy comes crashing down from about 8 feet in the air. I was surprised to see how much farther in the air the airbag dummy was thrown than the non-bag dummy.

Still, if it were available on a bike I liked - I'd opt for it.
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 9:58 am

Thanks for posting that. Interesting how all the crash energy is changed from a pure horizontal motion to horizontal to vertical. My bet is the change of vectors over time would make a huge difference in the injury level. But I sure would HATE coming down on the "tank" right on the ol' family jewels - and I'll bet that's why they stopped the video there. Maybe they need an airbag there as well....

If you watch how fast the glass shatters and shoots across the interior of the car no airbag/airbag it really gives you a good reference.

I just hope the gubmint doesn't mandate them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:10 am

I have not seen this one before

Thanks;
I have seen another one similiar to this. I think it looks promising. I notice, on the video, how well it prevents the body from going into the vehicle. I would like to see it with two up and see what happens with the passenger in back and how well affects the rider from behind.
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Impressive

Thanks for sharing it. Wonder when we'll have it available?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Maybe they should just forget the airbag in front of you and put one in the seat, just launch you into the air, and then you wear the Michelin man suit! This way you smack the car and get launched, and have to come back down. Were there any test results that showed that the Honda airbag helped?

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOMark

I was surprised to see how much farther in the air the airbag dummy was thrown than the non-bag dummy.

I actually think that the Center of Gravity of both dummys is launched to about the same height, the airbag dummy's head and upper body seem have been deflected by the airbag, and hopefully preventing as much damage.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOMark

I wish the video showed a little more - like what happened to the dummies until the bitter end. I'll say this though - it looks like w/out the bag the helmet basically gets stripped right off the head of the dummy - maybe even breaking its neck. The airbag certainly seems to prevent the initial mortal injuries - but I bet a broken leg or arm is coming as that dummy comes crashing down from about 8 feet in the air. I was surprised to see how much farther in the air the airbag dummy was thrown than the non-bag dummy.

I had a friend that t-boned a 4 door Chrysler right in the door pillar, car pulled out in front of him late at night

his head was no longer attached to his body, the bike and his body went right into the car darn near killing the driver of the car.

true story, it happen on US-1 just north of aurora rd north bound lane, back in the late 80's

Tom

post #9 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Thanks for posting that. Interesting how all the crash energy is changed from a pure horizontal motion to horizontal to vertical. .
did you notice the bike, it really makes you realizer just how fast and hard those air bags come out, look at how much less the rear of that wing lifts up with the airbag force pushing it and the rider backwards

amazing!

Tom

post #10 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:21 pm

I've seen this video before (or at least one very similar to it), and I'm always disappointed because the video stops before I get to see where the rider ultimately ends up.

Every promo video for this airbag system is the same. Wing hits car, airbag deploys, rider hits airbag, launches into the air and the video stops.... Well.... what happened to the rider? Where did he land? Did the clothing show any signs that a real rider might have sustained injury?

While the video is cool to look at, it doesn't answer a lot of my questions.

Bill B

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly
I've seen this video before (or at least one very similar to it), and I'm always disappointed because the video stops before I get to see where the rider ultimately ends up.

Every promo video for this airbag system is the same. Wing hits car, airbag deploys, rider hits airbag, launches into the air and the video stops.... Well.... what happened to the rider? Where did he land? Did the clothing show any signs that a real rider might have sustained injury?

While the video is cool to look at, it doesn't answer a lot of my questions.

Bill B

mine either, i wonder how bad of neck injury he would
have being tossed back like that without a headrest. like in a car.

can we see a harness coming into play like nascar to keep the head from snaping back as there is no headrest to stop it?

Or are we jsut going to have our head snapped off in a hard enough impact?

Tom

post #12 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 4:53 pm

In both cases it looks like the head hit the vehicle quite hard. Without airbag looks fatal. With airbag, only a concussion and broken neck. The bag needs to go higher and stay inflated longer. I'd say they both hurt!
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 6:35 pm

When I was in Japan two weeks ago, on the bullet train, they had advertisements for this with 4 screenshots from that video.
You can see it to the left of the door here, but not too well.

I'm not good at reading the little line words, but it gave the impression it was already on the market over there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3602_bullet_to_Kyoto.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	6903  

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in