Go inside to pay at fuel stops - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Lightbulb Go inside to pay at fuel stops

Been riding motorcycles on the street since 14 years old (34 years) Many years as my only transportation (by choice)
Have been feeling some steady dull pain in my hip joints, so I talked to my doctor who also rides.
He told me that the gliding surface in any joint wears over the years. That with my feet planted on the pegs, squeezing the tank with my knees places pressure on my hip joints. Normally this would not be a problem but when you add not even getting off the bike, (pay at the pump) then lack of circulation takes effect.
Never had this problem on my HD's always had to get off check the oil (every fuel stop) and make sure nothing was rattling loose.
So he suggested that I try and make all fuel stops 15-20 minutes and see if this makes a difference.
Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 8:02 am

I've got similar pains from my crash back in May. Been in PT rehab for that and my wrist since. Makes good sense to get off the bike occasionally. I feel my pains mostly when removing my feet from pegs at a stop. One should not take a shot to the groin from a gas tank. Not good on hips and lower back, not to mention the 'nads.

Is it possible to vary your position or adjust something to change it up a bit? I had knee pain on right, follwed a tank later by the right, on my Vstrom and those seem to be back on the LT, so a set of ottomans were first farkle to allow me to stretch occasionally on long rides where that becomes a problem.

Rando
post #3 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 8:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Same here, Rock.. doc just told me "You've lived too long...bet you didn't expect to live this long, did you?" ..... also minimizes possible deep vein thrombosis to move a bit.

Doesn't hurt to move around.... I get down low and check tires for debris, check oil, etc... get a good stretch, too.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cfell; Sep 19th, 2006 at 8:06 am. Reason: puctuation.

post #4 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 8:38 am

I work by a fairly simple rule, if I turn off the bike, I get off the bike.
post #5 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 8:39 am

Rock, get off and walk around. Even if you kust walk around the pump you need to get the blood flowing. I also put my toes on a curb and heels on the ground to streach the calves. It really helps and takes out a bunch of pain.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 8:43 am

Talking

Maybe you just have too much DANG INK seeping into your hip joints, you tattooed FREAK!!!

Besides, I didn't think you even paid for gas...ever!
post #7 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:18 am

I have found some stretching exercises for piriformis syndrome before and after riding to be very effective in reducing my hip pain.

In my case, the pain had become so bad that I could not lie on the effected hip.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #8 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Here I am at age 50 with no pain...!
What are you youngsters doing to yourselves???
This thread reminds me of the last time I visited a geriatric center!!!

Seriously, some people swear by glucosamine/chondroitin for joint stiffness and pain. A buddy of mine is hooked on the CoamindDS brand. Definitely worth a try.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Ya know.. you can move around on the bike, it's plenty big. On long rides my feet migrate from main pegs to j-pegs to heels hooked on the rear pegs and back and forth often with opposing feet on opposing pegs. Shifting weight from cheek to cheek. The bike provides a pretty stable platform for standing on the pegs as well, traffic permitting. Standing for a few minutes and getting a little breeze across your bum never hurts either.
post #10 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
I have found some stretching exercises for piriformis syndrome before and after riding to be very effective in reducing my hip pain.

In my case, the pain had become so bad that I could not lie on the effected hip.
How about describing some of those stretches or pointing me to a source? I've had hip problems before the LT, don't think they are any worse with the LT, but stretching does seem to help - I just get really bored doing the same thing time after time, so am always on the lookout for different stretches that add variety to the routine. Damn, here I am acting like an old man riding an old man's bike - what happened?

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #11 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:56 pm

The first 3 exercises shown in this article helped me the most. HTH

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #12 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 8:55 pm

I do not understand. How do you NOT get off the bike to put fuel in it? I place the bike on the side stand, get off, walk around to the other side of the bike where the fuel fill is, put the credit card in the pump and start pumping. When I am finished pumping gas, I have to walk around the bike to remount it. Seems logical to me! Or am I a missing something?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #13 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Been riding motorcycles on the street since 14 years old (34 years) Many years as my only transportation (by choice)
Have been feeling some steady dull pain in my hip joints, so I talked to my doctor who also rides.
He told me that the gliding surface in any joint wears over the years. That with my feet planted on the pegs, squeezing the tank with my knees places pressure on my hip joints. Normally this would not be a problem but when you add not even getting off the bike, (pay at the pump) then lack of circulation takes effect.
Never had this problem on my HD's always had to get off check the oil (every fuel stop) and make sure nothing was rattling loose.
So he suggested that I try and make all fuel stops 15-20 minutes and see if this makes a difference.
Rock

hehehe, we have been riding on the road since the same age - BUT you are one OLD man!

I'm only 45 HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ok ok i could not resist! BUt I wonder if that is why I'm not hurting as much when I get off the GS, it is so much thinner where we sit!
my legs are noth pushed near as far apart

hmmmm
Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #14 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mike, I can only speak for myself.. I can fuel my bike in most cases without dismounting. I rarely do that... I get off then walk around. I go into the store to pay the gas bill (if there's no pay at the pump) then the water bill...

I find there is a whole world going on inside the stores and sometimes I see something amusing... usually it's in the mirror...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Here I am at age 50 with no pain...!
What are you youngsters doing to yourselves???
We rode ourselves hard and out ourself up wetter longer

might have been something to do with riding a ridgid for years as well

ya know the saying

If your going to be dumb, ya better be tough (till ya get older hahahahaha)

Tom

post #16 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I do not understand. How do you NOT get off the bike to put fuel in it? I place the bike on the side stand, get off, walk around to the other side of the bike where the fuel fill is, put the credit card in the pump and start pumping. When I am finished pumping gas, I have to walk around the bike to remount it. Seems logical to me! Or am I a missing something?
I pull put bike on Side stand, stick my card in the pump, while it is authorizing the card,
I open my gas cap door remove my gas cap that has had the cap mod done so I do not need the key each time,
I then reach over to the pump pick up the nozzle put it in the tank and fill it, I can easily lean over and keep a eye on the level this way while making sure i do not over fill it, i replace the handle, while it is printing I put my cap back on close the door I then get my receipt write down my mileage on it zero my trip meter start the bike and pull out!

simple and only takes a few minutes

tom

Tom

post #17 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Rock
Rock,

I keep a humidor in the right saddle bag. A good 42 ring petite corona is good for 20 minutes after filling up. I recommend Upmann - Vintage Cameroon. Like chill out man! After 34 years, whose in a hurry!
post #18 of 26 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Rock,

I keep a humidor in the right saddle bag.
Thank you very much sir! You just gave me a grand idea for my 1800+ mile ride next weekend.
post #19 of 26 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 7:50 am Thread Starter

it's easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
There ain't nothing to it, I don't even put down the sidestand most times.
Pull in kill bike, get card out of sleeve pocket, open gas cap while pump is being auth. Fill up, put back nozzle, close cap zero trip meter and go.
For the longest time I always thought it hurt my joints more getting off the bike (pins and needle tingles from a part getting fresh blood, that was restricted) so I would just stay on for most fuel stops. Once I rode with a bunch of guys that fueled on the run, they were airforce guys. They did it in planes flying over 100mph, so the truck to bike fuel transfer was cake for them. (Wingmen MC)
I've done all the gymnastic's on a bike you'll ever care to see, stand, stand on seat, back seat, side saddle, one knee etc. (I haven't tried the one Joe showed me yet. Sitting on back seat back rest flipped to use as a resting pad for your chest)
I'll just try the break thing, maybe stretch while I'm on break smoking a cigar.
Rock
post #20 of 26 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerod521
Thank you very much sir! You just gave me a grand idea for my 1800+ mile ride next weekend.
I have several sizes of the Pelican type humidor for the bike or la trucka. Depending on how long I'll be gone is the size taken. Have a 5, 10 and 20 banger. Awesome. They are totally water/weather proof.

You boys know you can smoke a ceegar while riding, right? Been killing me whilst riding here in California, the place is already on fire and whats not on fire is tinder.
Hey Warden, I thought you just chewed them thangs.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #21 of 26 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:19 am

Agree- get off often and move around.

Agree with Dave Dragon that I seem comfortable on the GSA- smaller leg spread, more leg positions, and a seat that allows me to move back and forth. However, the engine isn't as smooth as the LT and when it rains--give me the LT. Haven't tried cold yet.

I got put onto men's support socks and they help. Many salesmen that travel air planes on long trips use them. They look like dress socks and take up no room in the boot, so I usually wear them under boot socks. here's the link

http://www.healthylegs.com/jolimesusomi.html

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #22 of 26 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Hey Rock, BTDT!
I found that I'm much more comfortable riding the GS than the LT because of the large tank area of the LT requires me to spread my knees apart far enough to cause hip pain.

I have been doing the pay/walk for a couple of weeks and it does help relieve the hip pain.
Heyt Dave I meant to ask you how is the vibration on the GS at high speeds for long distances, karen's seemed to bother my hands and wrists down the interstate,
I only rode for a couple hundred mile that day, it was pretty bad at that point, I'm really used to the lt and not the HD anymore

I really will have to do something about that!

tom

Tom

post #23 of 26 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
I pull put bike on Side stand, stick my card in the pump, while it is authorizing the card,
I open my gas cap door remove my gas cap that has had the cap mod done so I do not need the key each time,
I then reach over to the pump pick up the nozzle put it in the tank and fill it, I can easily lean over and keep a eye on the level this way while making sure i do not over fill it, i replace the handle, while it is printing I put my cap back on close the door I then get my receipt write down my mileage on it zero my trip meter start the bike and pull out!

simple and only takes a few minutes

tom
Oh darn!!! I have been doing it wrong all this time. But still no pain though...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #24 of 26 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 4:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
We rode ourselves hard and out ourself up wetter longer

might have been something to do with riding a ridgid for years as well

ya know the saying

If your going to be dumb, ya better be tough (till ya get older hahahahaha)
I have always followed this piece of advice: He who travels far spares his mount... and himself!
Then again I ask myself: why am I getting ready for a SS and/or a B2B...?
Hence the thought that riding may be more a philosophy than a sport!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #25 of 26 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Maybe you just have too much DANG INK seeping into your hip joints, you tattooed FREAK!!!
Getting the ink is a great way to build a pain tolerance (those things ain't stick-ons, y'know)

I get asked a lot "Do those tattoos hurt?" and I always answer "Not any more." BTW, I have a full backpiece, over the shoulders, upper arms, chest, stomach, both ribcages, one, er "below the equator, but above the pole", both thighs and calves done. Just your typical BMW rider!
post #26 of 26 Old Sep 21st, 2006, 9:31 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Hey Warden, I thought you just chewed them thangs.
Grif,

Chew sum, smoke sum.

My chewers are rum soaked.

Ole Phantom is best for ridin and smokin. Big ole windchield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenlean.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	6942   Click image for larger version

Name:	sceegar.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	6943  

Last edited by wardenross; Sep 21st, 2006 at 9:40 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in