Houston to Phoenix - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:08 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Houston to Phoenix

Question for all you seasoned touring types. Having spent yeas on Goldwings and most recently an H-D, this was never a serious issue, because there was a dealership in every hey seed town or bump in the road. I am taking off in ten days for Phoenix and got to checking for dealerships along the way, just in case. I found out there is not a dealer between San Antonio and Tucson, some 750 miles. Now I have the towing package with my BMWMOA membership, and I got the free year thing with my bike with Cross Country, but who do I call if I break down somewhere in BFE West Texas or New Mexico? Is there any thing special I should carry on the bike (like a tire patch kit or something)? I have years of touring experience and like I said before, was never a concern on the H bikes, but with this Beemer...

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

No worries... those thangs neva break down!!!
Heck, I rode from PA to CA in 4 days, never worrying about that sort of things.
The bike is very sensitive! It will feel your doubts... and will make you pay dearly!

Just ride it like you stole it... (meaning within the speed limits and always indicating your intentions using the turn-signals! )

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #3 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you belong to BMWMOA you have the "Anonymous Book". Not only will you find dealers by state, but the invaluable anonymous list of BMW owners all across the country who are willing to help you out in some way. May be a cup of coffee maybe a tow and full workshop. I always carry mine in the trunk, but have not had to use it with 68K on my 2002.

You can also Google and find the GPS coordinates in Garmin format for all or most BMW dealers.

Motor On ,/'

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:42 pm

I've never worried about just taking off and riding... anywhere. If you're really concerned, be sure to carry you MOA Anon book with you.

I leave tamale from New Braunfels, TX and riding to Sacramento, CA. How did I prepare for the trip? I checked the air in the tires and cleaned the windshield.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I've never worried about just taking off and riding... anywhere. If you're really concerned, be sure to carry you MOA Anon book with you.

I leave tamale from New Braunfels, TX and riding to Sacramento, CA. How did I prepare for the trip? I checked the air in the tires and cleaned the windshield.
And you're not staying with me overnight on the way?

I be pissed!!!

All KonTour Seat customers get deluxe accomodations and free dinner (and beer) at the Miller Ranch. Geegar smokers have to go outside or the wife will beat me up bad...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
And you're not staying with me overnight on the way?

I be pissed!!!

All KonTour Seat customers get deluxe accomodations and free dinner (and beer) at the Miller Ranch. Geegar smokers have to go outside or the wife will beat me up bad...
Where the hell-o are you?

BTW, I called the number you left and got a steenkeen recording. The only thang saving your sorry ass is there wasn't an endless loop of press 1, press 3, press 6, somethang you can't hear or understand and then.... click.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:04 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Gosh, I feel better already. I will pack my book and ride like hell. By the way, the speed limit in West Texas is 80 mph now, so I will be feeling some buffeting I'm sure .

Ron, thanks for the offer, but I am staying the first and second night in El Paso to run the mountains with an old buddy, then it's straight to Phoenix. I was in Tucson last year and loved your city. Went to the Desert Museum and the Canyon tour and of course had to make a run to Tombstone (I'm retired LEO so you KNOW I had to hit that town ) had a ball. Gorgeous countryside you have there.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #8 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Gosh, I feel better already. I will pack my book and ride like hell. By the way, the speed limit in West Texas is 80 mph now, so I will be feeling some buffeting I'm sure .
Buffeting? Passing some semi's in a typical West Texas high wind condition whilst going thru a cut the bike started to shimmy, kinda felt like a Road King with 3/4 inch axles. I stood up some to see what would happen and the shimmy got worse. Later on, the folks riding behind me said the unigo had gotten airborne and was waggling. My wife was with me, or I wouldn't have had the unigo and you KNOW it was weighed down with wimmens stuff.
Uh, I think I was going a leetle faster than 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Ron, thanks for the offer, but I am staying the first and second night in El Paso
Well, it's a dayem good thang cause I'm staying with him and three to bed is just downright uncomfy. Not to mention the line at the outhouse in the ayem.

Seriously, have a great trip. You'll have a blast.

BTW, stay in the left hand lane in El Paso, ride like hell and pretend you're invisible and can't be seen.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Lonewuff, I just made the trip two months ago through El Paso. Never even had a little fear of being broke down. Just leave and if something happens, call for help.
It's a LOOONNNGGGG way on I10 but the increase in speed makes it a little more fun. I only got 34mpg on one stretch.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 9:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Isn't BMW Roadside Assistance good for all 3 years of the factory warranty? You can always call them if you need towed, etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 6:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Isn't BMW Roadside Assistance good for all 3 years of the factory warranty? You can always call them if you need towed, etc.
Yeah, but that's not manly And what is this factory warranty of which you speak?

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in