Speed Bumps - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

Speed Bumps

Hate these damn things...

I have an LT, but decided to place this thread here as other bike owners may have input.

How the hell do you travel over these things without tearing the bottom out of the bike? We got bumps in Nor Cal that almost require a climbing belt and carabiners... I am constantly bottoming out the bike and am now afraid that my center stand and all the fixin's will end up in a Mall parking lot somewhere.

When I can, I skirt the damn things. But quite a few have very little area to skirt, and in buzy parking lots, you can't cross over at an angle with the traffic being what it is.

Soliciting thoughts and/or recommendations... and my SO thanks-you too!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 3:58 pm

You're obviously not bunny-hopping them, huh?

With the LT's amazing 3.5" graound clearance, I don't know that there is much you can do about it. You may just need to get creative and alter your route.
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark

Hate these damn things...

I have an LT, but decided to place this thread here as other bike owners may have input.

How the hell do you travel over these things without tearing the bottom out of the bike? We got bumps in Nor Cal that almost require a climbing belt and carabiners... I am constantly bottoming out the bike and am now afraid that my center stand and all the fixin's will end up in a Mall parking lot somewhere.

When I can, I skirt the damn things. But quite a few have very little area to skirt, and in buzy parking lots, you can't cross over at an angle with the traffic being what it is.

Soliciting thoughts and/or recommendations... and my SO thanks-you too!
I thought that was what the skid plate was for on the LT's?

I always cringed when I had to go over one and heard the clang clunk sound!

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 4:27 pm

Wilbers shocks and/or go on a diet....

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Slow down and right before you hit them, pop the clutch and give her a whole handful of throttle. It lightens the front end, but may not be too pleasant for the pillion.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Lose weight, just kidding, I do the same, hitting the speed bumps.
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:11 pm

They're speed bumps - hit 'em at speed. Never touch the skid plate

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
They're speed bumps - hit 'em at speed. Never touch the skid plate
Another great option, but once again, not too pleasant for the pillion.

I got air coming off of a low water crossing on one of my favorite roads (Schoenthal Rd.) everytime I rode it. One day I didn't think about Sandar the mag sitting back there. I landed just fine, her ass was about even with my helmet for a bit and when she hit her pain was doubled and transmitted to my kidneys. Dayem that woman has sharp fists.

They since have "fixed" that wonderful low water crossing/jump as some dood killed himself in a Toyota there. Either that, or my wife placed some calls to the County.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I got air coming off of a low water crossing on one of my favorite roads (Schoenthal Rd.) everytime I rode it. One day I didn't think about Sandar the mag sitting back there. I landed just fine, her ass was about even with my helmet for a bit and when she hit her pain was doubled and transmitted to my kidneys. Dayem that woman has sharp fists.
That's the reason I placed this thread.... The SO said, "you hit one more of those damn things and your walkin' home!"

As for all the weight stuff... I'm 250 and she's 120 (soakin' wet)... I got the dial all the way to "stiff" and I still drag the bottom plate.

As for shocks... she hasn't got 5K on the odo... Shocks???

I have this gut feeling Joe may have the answer... change the route and avoid any and all bumps... but this is CALIFORNIA... we do bumps for breakfast around the "burbs". Hell, Raffy lives in "Bump City" (sorry T.O.P.)... I'm surprised he hasn't complained...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #10 of 10 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 1:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
The SO said, "you hit one more of those damn things and your walkin' home!"
And she's gonna take off with your LT?

You have two options. Go slower, or go faster. Seriously.

If you go slower, then the bike will roll up and over the speed bumps without compressing the shocks and hitting anything (unless it's an unusually tall/sharp bump).

If you go faster, the front wheel will jump slightly, keeping the bike more upright until the rear wheel hits, then the whole bike will stay roughly level as the rear wheel climbs over the bump. That used to work great on my old BMX bikes, and still works on the LT if you practice a bit to get the speed and timing right.

And yes, aftermarket shocks will also help, as they're so much better than the stock Showa units even right from the beginning. My wife used to say "Why does the bike scrape like that?" and I'd reply "Because we need new shocks."

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in