I Know what BBQ Feels Like - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

I Know what BBQ Feels Like

I'm still out taking my ride home from CCR, and am in Montana today. Apparently about 1/2 of the state is on fire, and I spent almost 60 miles riding through a smoke covered I-90 coming into Billings this afternoon. The sun was almost completely blocked out; it was like riding at dusk for an hour. It kinda brought back memories of when I was a chain smoker (not fond ones, either). My bike is sitting in the hotel parking lot with its Geza cover on it and there's little flecks of ash all over it; should be quite a mess by morning. From what I can gather one of the fires (the big one, I guess) is between here and Bozeman along I-90, so I've got another 100+ miles to ride in smoky nastiness tomorrow. But hey, it still beats workin'!!!

I've seen and done a lot of fun stuff along the way - Barber Motorsports Museum and met George Barber; hanging out in Memphis checking out the zoo, the riverfront, and getting ribs at the Rendezvous; The Gateway Arch and Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard in St. Louis; Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial, Devil's Tower, Deadwood, and a bunch of other stuff, too! I've taken almost 1500 pictures so far (yes I have a problem).

The next challenge after the fun with fire is getting to Seattle in the next couple of days with the threat of snow on the Lolo Pass. It will truly suck if I can't ride get that ride in; I really want to do that one. I still get to ride the Pacific Coast home all the way from Seattle next week, so I still have plenty of good roads to ride!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I'm still out taking my ride home from CCR, and am in Montana today. Apparently about 1/2 of the state is on fire, and I spent almost 60 miles riding through a smoke covered I-90 coming into Billings this afternoon. The sun was almost completely blocked out; it was like riding at dusk for an hour. It kinda brought back memories of when I was a chain smoker (not fond ones, either). My bike is sitting in the hotel parking lot with its Geza cover on it and there's little flecks of ash all over it; should be quite a mess by morning. From what I can gather one of the fires (the big one, I guess) is between here and Bozeman along I-90, so I've got another 100+ miles to ride in smoky nastiness tomorrow. But hey, it still beats workin'!!!

I've seen and done a lot of fun stuff along the way - Barber Motorsports Museum and met George Barber; hanging out in Memphis checking out the zoo, the riverfront, and getting ribs at the Rendezvous; The Gateway Arch and Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard in St. Louis; Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial, Devil's Tower, Deadwood, and a bunch of other stuff, too! I've taken almost 1500 pictures so far (yes I have a problem).

The next challenge after the fun with fire is getting to Seattle in the next couple of days with the threat of snow on the Lolo Pass. It will truly suck if I can't ride get that ride in; I really want to do that one. I still get to ride the Pacific Coast home all the way from Seattle next week, so I still have plenty of good roads to ride!
Sounds to me, Dave, like you're makin' up for a coupla missed CCRs!! Good on ya! I'd sure like to ride with ya on a trip like yours, butt with 1.5k pix, maybe I'll get to see what I missed!! Ride safe, Bud. Real glad for ya.
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 11:28 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Good luck on making Lolo. Did that on the way back from the rally in Boise. great ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Lolo Pic.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	6660  

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

Last edited by Jim; Sep 13th, 2006 at 11:35 pm.

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 2:38 am

'Bout time we got a little update, you weenie!

Wish I coulda rode off with ya man...sounds like one heck of a ride! Hopefully, I'll be able to get out to your left side of the states next year (at least once). Until then, ride safely. Can't wait to see those pics!
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 7:52 am

Thanks for the update! Was wondering how you were getting along. I look forward to seeing pics.

Ride Safe, have fun!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:08 am

Thumbs up

What a blast! Well, except for the smoke...

Have fun amigo! ... and be safe...
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 8:32 am

We just did Rendezvous on the 7th. Good ribs!

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2006, 9:28 am Thread Starter

I am having a blast riding around and seeing parts of the country I've never visited before. I really feel lucky to have the opportunity to do this; it's something I've dreamed about for years. Weather and the like are just part of the travels, if my original plans get screwed up I just redirect and try something different! From this morning's weather reports Lolo is most likely out, but that means I may make Seattle earlier and get to spend more time hanging out checking the scene there. I'll try to give more updates as I make progress (sorry, Joe! ).

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #9 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

Now I know what a popsicle feels like

What a difference a couple of days make! 2 days ago I was crossing Montana in 94 degree weather and smoke from a huge forest fire. But today was a BIG change. I couldn't ride over the Lolo Pass due to snow, so I rode from Missoula to Seattle today, just under 500 miles. 1/3 of the day was riding through the mountains in 33 degree temps (with a couple of snow flurries), another third in decent weather and about 53, and the final third in on and off rain and 45-48 degrees. In the last 25 miles it went from 50 - 67 degrees, which was VERY welcome!

I have to tell you, this stretch of I-90 is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to ride this again without the low temps and rain, but it was still a spectacular ride. Given better weather I would have liked to ridden the Lolo Pass, but this wasn't a bad alternative as far as scenery goes.

I'm hanging out in the Seattle area for a few days visiting my brother, then I plan to head over to the coast and take a few days meandering home next week. More to come later!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #10 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:16 pm

Made that very same ride last August Dave...but the temps never dipped below the 50s. (How about a little fire scarecrow?) Hey, what doesn't kill ya . . . you know! Wish I was with you to loan you my Gerbing's heated socks.
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 12:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Made that very same ride last August Dave...but the temps never dipped below the 50s. (How about a little fire scarecrow?) Hey, what doesn't kill ya . . . you know! Wish I was with you to loan you my Gerbing's heated socks.
I wish I would have brought my Widder vest! Considering the heat we were dealing with at CCR I never dreamed that I would need heated gear on this trip.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in