COCOA -- Local motorcycle builder Billy Lane turned
himself in at 1 p.m. Monday in connection with a fatal
accident Sept. 4, accordiing to Local 6 News partner
Florida Today.

Among the charges Lane faces are driving under
influence, manslaughter and driving with his license
suspended.

Lane, 36, arrived with his lawyers at the Florida
Highway Patrol office on State Road 520.

FHP spokeswoman Kim Miller said Lane’s blood alcohol
level was .192 when the accident occurred on State Road
A1A south of Melbourne Beach.

She said bond would be set at $15,000.

Investigators have said Lane was trying to pass two
other vehicles on a double-yellow-lined stretch of A1A
when his southbound 2006 Dodge Ram pickup collided with
a northbound 1983 Yamaha moped, the report said.

Melbourne Beach resident Gerald Morelock, 56, was
killed. Lane and a passenger in his truck were injured.

For almost 20 years, Lane has made a name for himself
building custom “choppers.” He has appeared on the
Discovery Channel’s “Bike Build-Off” and “Monster
Garage.”
Courtesy of Fast Fred SC
Rock
post #3 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
COCOA -- Local motorcycle builder Billy Lane turned
himself in at 1 p.m. Monday in connection with a fatal
accident Sept. 4, accordiing to Local 6 News partner
Florida Today.

Among the charges Lane faces are driving under
influence, manslaughter and driving with his license
suspended.

Lane, 36, arrived with his lawyers at the Florida
Highway Patrol office on State Road 520.

FHP spokeswoman Kim Miller said Lane’s blood alcohol
level was .192 when the accident occurred on State Road
A1A south of Melbourne Beach.

She said bond would be set at $15,000.

Investigators have said Lane was trying to pass two
other vehicles on a double-yellow-lined stretch of A1A
when his southbound 2006 Dodge Ram pickup collided with
a northbound 1983 Yamaha moped, the report said.

Melbourne Beach resident Gerald Morelock, 56, was
killed. Lane and a passenger in his truck were injured.

For almost 20 years, Lane has made a name for himself
building custom “choppers.” He has appeared on the
Discovery Channel’s “Bike Build-Off” and “Monster
Garage.”
Courtesy of Fast Fred SC
Rock
Well, that pretty much puts him out of commission! The suspended license is a new wrinkle I had not read anywhere else before. Hope he has someone to run his cycle business while he is "away". Of course the likely lawsuit against him will probably take it anyway.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 5:45 pm

Just curious, how much do you have to drink to get a BAC that high? It seems like a lot.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Kevin, to get that kinda BAC and be able to walk takes training.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #6 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 6:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Screw that co**sucker. And may anyone in the Florida criminal justice system who does ANYTHING that keeps him from doing time have nothing but misery for the rest of their days.

Almost .20, AFTER being extricated, treated on scene, transported, and brought to a trauma center? That means, people, that he was probably closer to .25 when he KILLED the guy he flattened with his double-yellow pass.

to put this into perspective, friends, go here: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/safety/mo...calculator.htm

I'd estimate Lane at about 170 pounds or so.

.192 (and again, because of the time involved between him KILLING the other man and when they drew blood, it was likely at least .025 higher, more likely as much as .05 higher) would be the equivalent of drinking, get this

NINE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES IN A ONE HOUR PERIOD, and a seasoned alcoholic with better alcohol metabolism would have to maintain a steady incoming stream of drinks in the ballpark of roughly one every TEN MINUTES to keep that level without eating beyond an hour.

then taking the wheel and driving, months after getting arrested for drunk driving a motorcycle.

For the fellow thread-posters who know him personally, I wish you no offense, but in my professional and personal life, I have had zero sympathy for three groups of people. Child molesters. Men who beat women or children. And drunk drivers, particularly repeat drunk drivers.

And before you post anything defending his behavior, think about how many times your spouse and/or children are driving on two-lane roadways divided by double-yellow stripes.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #7 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Screw that co**sucker. And may anyone in the Florida criminal justice system who does ANYTHING that keeps him from doing time have nothing but misery for the rest of their days.

Almost .20, AFTER being extricated, treated on scene, transported, and brought to a trauma center? That means, people, that he was probably closer to .25 when he KILLED the guy he flattened with his double-yellow pass.

to put this into perspective, friends, go here: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/safety/mo...calculator.htm

I'd estimate Lane at about 170 pounds or so.

.192 (and again, because of the time involved between him KILLING the other man and when they drew blood, it was likely at least .025 higher, more likely as much as .05 higher) would be the equivalent of drinking, get this

NINE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES IN A ONE HOUR PERIOD, and a seasoned alcoholic with better alcohol metabolism would have to maintain a steady incoming stream of drinks in the ballpark of roughly one every TEN MINUTES to keep that level without eating beyond an hour.

then taking the wheel and driving, months after getting arrested for drunk driving a motorcycle.

For the fellow thread-posters who know him personally, I wish you no offense, but in my professional and personal life, I have had zero sympathy for three groups of people. Child molesters. Men who beat women or children. And drunk drivers, particularly repeat drunk drivers.

And before you post anything defending his behavior, think about how many times your spouse and/or children are driving on two-lane roadways divided by double-yellow stripes.

P
What he said!

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #8 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
What he said!
Being an alcoholic who's been sober for 14 years, I agree, too.

Man, is there anythang worse than a reformed quitter of anythang?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 6:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

bless you on your 14, Grif.

post #10 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Quote:

That would be Him, I have seen him drink almost an entire gallon of whiskey in the course of a night.
He danced, now it is time to pay the piper!
Rock
post #11 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Well, that pretty much puts him out of commission! The suspended license is a new wrinkle I had not read anywhere else before. Hope he has someone to run his cycle business while he is "away". Of course the likely lawsuit against him will probably take it anyway.
Unfortunate situation for the dead mans family. The type of business that these guys run even though they have people fabricating with them they are in practicality a one man show. People buy his bikes because he makes them. Roger Bourget is one of the few that rose above that 25 bikes per year mark and developed a production company like Harley that will live well past his time on Earth. Big Bear choppers is getting there soon as well. I am sure there are many more but Billy Lane is not one of them. He does have a parts manufacturing side to his business but from what has been said on the Biker Build -Offs it just pays the bills and gives him breathing room to build bikes. I am sure when he goes to jail the shop will have problems staying open.

Tony 05
post #12 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

cough cough ***bullshit***cough...

the guy has his own line of MOTORCYCLE BOOTS fer chrissake...

his bikes might die, which is a shame, 'cause I really thought that one with the rear wheel without a center was neat as hell, but he was tapping into fame and fortune just like Paul Sr. and Jr. "Nintendo Video Game and friggin' Orange County COLOGNE" Teutel, just wasn't far enough along.

I feel for his family, I feel for the family of the man he slaughtered (yes, I chose that word deliberately), and I feel for those who he would consider a friend, and those who would consider him one. I only wish one of those people had been there to take his keys that night and any other when he over-indulged and got behind the handlebars or the wheel.

Sorry in advance for toes stepped on here, but I've seen too much damage done by drunken drivers (including the loss of a loved one) to have any empathy whatsoever for one who kills someone else, regardless of how famous they are or how wonderful they are when they aren't under the influence.

post #13 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Being an alcoholic who's been sober for 14 years, I agree, too.

Man, is there anythang worse than a reformed quitter of anythang?
Way to go grif. I got 9 years sober.

Looking back though, when I was drinking I was doin my best to obey the traffic laws so I didn't get pulled over.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #14 of 20 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
$15,000 bail for driving under the influence, manslaughter, and driving with a suspended license? And with a previous offense still pending? There's something very wrong with that.

I'm sorry for the pain Billy's workers will have to go through as his shop dies, and especially for the pain Gerald's family will have to go through forever. But Billy made several grossly stupid choices, and now everyone around him has to pay for it, most especially Billy himself.

Unless he pulls a Janklow, of course.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 6:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey

yea I didn't know he didn't have a dl either, that or someone screwed up cause the driver of the moped had no DL

lawsuit, HAHAHAHA (been there got the t-shirt)
Fl has no laws for the victim! no way you can touch a corporation in fl unless you pierce the corporate veil a tough thing to do, and no one will go after him as long as there was good insurance, they will go after the insurance
instead.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 6:55 am

Quote:
cough cough ***bullshit***cough...

the guy has his own line of MOTORCYCLE BOOTS fer chrissake...

his bikes might die, which is a shame, 'cause I really thought that one with the rear wheel without a center was neat as hell, but he was tapping into fame and fortune just like Paul Sr. and Jr. "Nintendo Video Game and friggin' Orange County COLOGNE" Teutel, just wasn't far enough along.

I feel for his family, I feel for the family of the man he slaughtered (yes, I chose that word deliberately), and I feel for those who he would consider a friend, and those who would consider him one. I only wish one of those people had been there to take his keys that night and any other when he over-indulged and got behind the handlebars or the wheel.

Sorry in advance for toes stepped on here, but I've seen too much damage done by drunken drivers (including the loss of a loved one) to have any empathy whatsoever for one who kills someone else, regardless of how famous they are or how wonderful they are when they aren't under the influence.

well you just did, you said what you needed to say but showed empathy to his friends and family. your post is decent and I appreciate that. Billy is a decent guy, I do know him. this sucks.

I find that BAC chart so flat out wrong, (of course I have never had a blood alcohol test) but blowing it only take a little to be legally drunk, two beers over sandwich and a hour before I blew a .06 I was right 175lbs back then.

Still drunk is drunk, a .08 is against the law, in fl they have a buzz law or some shit now, a .02 would have got him DUI Mansluaghter. The NO DL thing threw me for a loop, which is meaningless in FL heck the moped driver he killed had no DL, but I'm not sure how FL's law is wrote on mopeds anymore, some you need a DL and Tags to operate, I think it was done to keep kids off them on the streets.

Tom

Tom

post #17 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
$15,000 bail for driving under the influence, manslaughter, and driving with a suspended license? And with a previous offense still pending? There's something very wrong with that.

I'm sorry for the pain Billy's workers will have to go through as his shop dies, and especially for the pain Gerald's family will have to go through forever. But Billy made several grossly stupid choices, and now everyone around him has to pay for it, most especially Billy himself.

Unless he pulls a Janklow, of course.
yea I would love to know the details on the $15k,
still it's not like he is going anywhere. and this might just be a pre trial hearing while the state gets all the facts correct and has the ducks to go after him, I seehe has a local attorney? or did I miss something, if so well he is done........

Tom

post #18 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
The NO DL thing threw me for a loop, which is meaningless in FL heck the moped driver he killed had no DL, but I'm not sure how FL's law is wrote on mopeds anymore, some you need a DL and Tags to operate, I think it was done to keep kids off them on the streets.

Tom
The moped scooter thing used to be 5 BHP or less, no DL needed.
I did not know Billy did not have a DL. (Not that the DL is anything more than a tax, but to have lost it for DUI recently)
1. He was driving drunk
2. He was in a cage (your a biker what are you doing in a cage in FLA??? or any state for that matter)
Hey he F*%ked up, that don't make him a bad person. It makes him a person who made some bad decisions, that had deadly results.
Rock
post #19 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
The moped scooter thing used to be 5 BHP or less, no DL needed.
I did not know Billy did not have a DL. (Not that the DL is anything more than a tax, but to have lost it for DUI recently)
1. He was driving drunk
2. He was in a cage (your a biker what are you doing in a cage in FLA??? or any state for that matter)
Hey he F*%ked up, Rock
that don't make him a bad person. It makes him a person who made some bad decisions, that had deadly results.

yea not sure what they have done with the moped thing anymore,
no idea why he was in a cage.
yea I'm not sure about the DL thin either, heck in FL he may not even have knownj yet if it had been taken recently, auto revocation due to not blowing a breath test in NC perhaps? I've seen suspensions take month's to actually come up suspended and then get notified heck sometimes you don't even get notified down there

your right though "that don't make him a bad person. It makes him a person who made some bad decisions, that had deadly results."

Rock if ya ever get near the NE Georgia mountains let me know, I'll take ya to a good place for food and a decent ride

Tom

Tom

post #20 of 20 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
that don't make him a bad person. It makes him a person who made some bad decisions, that had deadly results.

yea not sure what they have done with the moped thing anymore,
no idea why he was in a cage.
Tom
He was in a cage because he was too drunk to ride his scooter. It really doesn't matter what the moped laws are. If he was on a bicycle and had a headlight he was legal to be riding down that road (probably no light is legal on a bicycle). Billy was not legal to be driving where he was or in the condition he was. Very bad decision. Hate to see it for both involved. Very tragic.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in