From Spank to Paddles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

From Spank to Paddles

From Spank to Paddles

Bet you thought we were gooing to talk about Back To School and all the good things that go along with it.

NOOooo, Not what you are thinking.

After participating in the Spank Rally, I found that some of the roads traveled were not conducive to the K1200LT and I needed a bike that I could throw around if needed.

I thought right from the announcment of the FJR 1300AE that it would be something that I would be interested in. The high tech touch model with electric shift five speed transmission, there’s no clutch lever. You shift with paddles on the left grip or with your left foot. It took a NANO-SECOND; Yes, I kid you not, one-trillionth of a second...to get over clutch envy!
I just love how smooth it is, and QUIET as a babies sneeze.

I put a hundred miles on the test ride. I never even tried the foot shifter.

I'm now waiting for the sun to go down so I can test the lights.

I tested the lights and I was impressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Perhaps maybe by chance one with your name on it in say blue? I have heard good things about this new bike. A neighbor has one. And a pretty good write-up last month in the AMA Motorcyclist mag.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 2:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The vast majority of bikes on this year's Cal24 Rally were FJRs. Some older, and some newer (less heat), but nobody with the shifter paddles yet. There are some good LD aftermarket items out there already, including a rather nifty aux fuel tank / rack.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 4:08 am

Nobody can argue with Miss Manners, but a clutchless bike is just so WRONG.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 7:53 am

Interesting thoughts. I was talking to a fellow MSF instructor who rides FOR Yamaha, to the point where they give her freebies to ride and she wasn't impressed at all with the AE FJR after a few rides. I guess time will tell, though, as she gets used to it.

When I broke my left wrist, ironically, the next week, the new RIDER magazine arrived in the maile with that one on the cover.

Rando
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The vast majority of bikes on this year's Cal24 Rally were FJRs. Some older, and some newer (less heat), but nobody with the shifter paddles yet. There are some good LD aftermarket items out there already, including a rather nifty aux fuel tank / rack.

Ken,

The one in the photo is the Dean Tanji Fuel Cell. He really did a nice job on that.

I may ride over to the blast off of the Northwest Passage Rally just to make sure that you are behaving.

I feel terrible that I can't ride in the rally butt it will be fun to seee the gang.

Best,
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Nobody can argue with Miss Manners, but a clutchless bike is just so WRONG.
UNTIL you try it, then is is SO LOGICAL.
I only wish that I could have had it at CCR, Then y'all could have tried it.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Interesting thoughts. I was talking to a fellow MSF instructor who rides FOR Yamaha, to the point where they give her freebies to ride and she wasn't impressed at all with the AE FJR after a few rides. I guess time will tell, though, as she gets used to it.

When I broke my left wrist, ironically, the next week, the new RIDER magazine arrived in the maile with that one on the cover.

Rando
I would bet that you could not tear that bike away from her now!

Not only would the bike be excellent for your left wrist butt just think how many times you have ruined a pair of shoes by the shifter make across the left toe. Ahh yes, no more black marks across the toe of your Manolo Blahnik stiletto's nor your alligator cowboy boots.
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1200lt
I would bet that you could not tear that bike away from her now!

Not only would the bike be excellent for your left wrist butt just think how many times you have ruined a pair of shoes by the shifter make across the left toe. Ahh yes, no more black marks across the toe of your Manolo Blahnik stiletto's nor your alligator cowboy boots.
Not sure, but I'll find out next time I run iinto her.

As for the shifter marks, how can we tell the wankers from the real riders now? The Wankers can say they have an FJR AE, and therefore don;t have shift mark on their boots or flip flops.

rando

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in