BMW Statement on E85 fuel - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:48 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

BMW Statement on E85 fuel

E85 fuel and fuel blends containing ethanol or alcohol are becoming popular in the US market. Advertisements from other vehicle manufactures touting the use of such fuels are now in the mainstream media and catching the attention of our customers. It is important our customers are educated during contact with dealer personnel when the question is asked on the use of E85 ethanol or ethanol fuel blends. This will go a long way in ensuring our customers have a lasting and rewarding ownership experience.

The following frequently asked questions will help you prepare for conversations you may have with your customers regarding the use of E85 ethanol fuels or blended fuels.

What is E85 fuel or fuel blends?

E85 ethanol or fuel blends are fuels thatcontain a high percentage (above 10%) of alcohol, mainly ethanol.

What does BMW recommend?

BMW recommends the use of high octane (premium unleaded fuel), or premium unleaded fuel with low alcohol added (10% orless) for best performance and fuel efficiency.

What does the customerneed to know?

Fuels containing high amounts of alcohol (greaterthan 10%) can rob the customer’s vehicle of performance and even create drivability issues such as stalling.

Can the use of E85 or blended fuels effect the vehicles warranty?

Fuels containing up to and including 10% ethanol or other oxygenates will not void the warranty.

Component damage/malfunctions, or any drivabilityp roblems caused by the use of fuels containing more than 10% ethanol (or other oxygenates) will not be covered under BMW warranties with respect to defects in material and workmanship.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:53 pm

So....

What is one to do in a state that highly promotes E85 ?

Anyword on upgrades ?

If E85 gets to popular, do we gotta sell the BMW's ?

(I know other car/bike manufacturers are dealing with this issue too)

But to just say don't use it, without, at least a we are working on it, kinda ticks me off.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 9:36 am

BMW in Brazil

What do the BMW riders in Brazil do for fuel?? From what I understand that country has gone to alcohol based fuels exclusively several years ago.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 5:58 pm

E85 has become an issue with auto manufacturers as well. Unless the vehicle is designed to accomodate E85, it will cause driveability issues, and may lead to component failure or catalytic converter damage. None of the issues related to the use of E85 in cars designed to operate on unleaded gasoline (<10% ethanol) are covered under the vehicle warranty by any manufacturer, as far as I know.
When in doubt, read the owners manual regarding recommended fuels and use ONLY what is recommended. Stations that do offer E85 also sell gasoline. Read the label on the pump - most E85 is sold as a "mid grade" fuel.
FWIW, E85 is not available in any of the New England states as yet. C'mon up and get tanked!
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 1:11 am

The farm states, and some politicos are primarlily pushing E85 etc. I think from a practical standpoint, it is neither cost effective, or fuel efficient. As long as a state is just promoting it, just don't buy it. Even though I live in an EPA controlled area where everything is 10% ethanol, I go out of the area to gas the bike.
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 12:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
E85 is like hybrids: A neat idea that doesn't make real economic sense if you factor in all the costs and environmental impacts. The should just produce standard cars or diesels that are lighter and more efficient, or better yet just drive less.

But America wants bigger, better, faster and is willing to pay for the privilege. I want a faster bike too, but at least I'm looking at something lighter and more fuel efficient, and I've already given up the useless car years ago.

As long as we keep paying for the fuel, there's no real reason for anything to change.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in