Felt like a Martian on Earth!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 6:20 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Felt like a Martian on Earth!!!

There's no place like home, there's no place like home....

CCR was fantastic and the Mrs. raves on and on about the wonderful time we had.

While there we took a side trip on the LT to Asheville N.C. on Friday. A beautiful town and well worth the trip.

I knew it was a Friday before Labor Day weekend and we new traffic would be a bit heavier and planned accordingly. We wanted to be back to Chateau Elan in plenty of time for dinner and all the announcements about the next venue. 150 miles, 3.5 hours should about do it. Nice and easy.

We mount up and hit the pavement. No sooner do we get on the highway than it's absolute gridlock. Heavy traffic, plus road construction.

Sit for two minutes, roll forward 100'. Sit three minutes, roll forward 100'. Of course I'm checking routes to see if we can find an alternate, but nothing looks promising.

Another 30 minutes of super slow weaving as the cages creep along. The temp gauge is up and fans are spinning away. Balancing on the banked curves, fun at speed, is challenging, even with my long legs.

I lean over and look down the road between the lanes, past the miles of stopped cages, and over the comm I hear Nancy say, "it's so ridiculous that we can't lane split".

From her lips to your State legislature's ears.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Happened to me on Thursday for little bit, I knew lane sharing wasn't legal in GA..... But I did it anyway, I felt it was the proper place for some civil disobedience to prove a point.
Point was I was getting no where and just contributing to the road block when I could easily just get out of evey ones way.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Ca Rules!

I am not really looking forward to moving back east, IF our home here ever sells, and one of the big downers is the lack of lane splitting there. Others are weather, bugs, humidity, etc., etc.. I have had approx. two mosquito bites in the 20 years of living in SoCal. That will probably be beat the first summer day back there. No horseflys, deerflys, etc. either.

Hopefully we will live in an area without a lot of gridlock, if not, me getting another motorcycle in those misguided states is not a given.

If my wife did not want to get back there closer to relatives, I would not even be thinking of moving. Finding motorcycle riding even half as good as I have it here in SoCal is only a little more than a dream. Sure, many places have SOME good riding, but we have an unbelievable amount of great riding roads here, with mountain, coastal, and desert all in the same day.

Of course my BIG problem is that my wife is not going to allow me to get another bike until we are moved. That is the gun she is holding to my head.

I was born a southerner, grew up in South Carolina, but not anxious to go back.

Asheville is pretty nice though for mountains, Knoxville for lakes.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Finding motorcycle riding even half as good as I have it here in SoCal is only a little more than a dream. Sure, many places have SOME good riding, but we have an unbelievable amount of great riding roads here, with mountain, coastal, and desert all in the same day.
I have been south 5 or 6 times this summer already. (Lost count!) Based on the above statements, I'm not too sure you have ever ridden the areas that I ride.

I'll be heading to the left coast next year. I hope it's half as good as y'all make it sound.
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I have been south 5 or 6 times this summer already. (Lost count!) Based on the above statements, I'm not too sure you have ever ridden the areas that I ride.

I'll be heading to the left coast next year. I hope it's half as good as y'all make it sound.
Remember, I grew up there, visited a lot of the area many times over the years. Absolutly there is some good riding there, as there is in just about any state. What I like about SoCal (NorCal also has a lot of great riding), is that I could start in the morning, ride ALL day, rarely if ever hit a freeway, nearly half of the time in nice sweeping turns, nearly the other half in twisties, never see the same place twice (maybe once in a while would pass through the same point on a crossing road), and be so tired you almost beg for a stratight section to rest.

Also, much of the riding back east, although nice roads, are in trees so it all begins to look alike after a while. Here, a large part of it is on mountain roads in semi-arid to arid areas, so the views are terrific, fewer trees in the way.

I have often told people we can actually see our mountains, back there, you may just be looking at one really tall tree surrounded by progressivly smaller ones.

Both areas are beautiful, just in wholly different ways.

Having lived over 40 years in the southeast, and now 20 years out here, If I could afford to retire here I would. Unfortunately, it is considerably more expensive to live here, so I will eventually have to move there and live with the downgrade.

Hey, if you get to San Diego, meet the San Diego BMW Club for breakfast and go for a ride with them. Some of those rides are pretty darned fast. Especially the Saturday bunch. The Sunday ones tend to be a little more moderate. It is one of the oldest BMWOA clubs in the US. One of our more prominent members, John Hermann, author of "Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and Corsica", is BMWMOA member number 0013!

I would like riding back there too, just that you have to transit between the better riding areas more than here.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:39 pm

Well now you really have my desires heightened to a whole new level! I would love to meet the real number "0013".

I'm hoping to be able to get out there and really see Cali.
North and south.
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 10:57 pm

Quote:
What I like about SoCal (NorCal also has a lot of great riding), is that I could start in the morning, ride ALL day, rarely if ever hit a freeway, nearly half of the time in nice sweeping turns, nearly the other half in twisties, never see the same place twice (maybe once in a while would pass through the same point on a crossing road), and be so tired you almost beg for a stratight section to rest.

Also, much of the riding back east, although nice roads, are in trees so it all begins to look alike after a while. Here, a large part of it is on mountain roads in semi-arid to arid areas, so the views are terrific, fewer trees in the way.

I have often told people we can actually see our mountains, back there, you may just be looking at one really tall tree surrounded by progressivly smaller ones.
Dave that is why I love living in the West. The grand Vistas and combination of twisties and straties if you like. My wife is from VT and she loves it there. But as you say you cannot see the forest for the trees. The only disadvantage to SoCal and the Phx area now are the traffic tie ups to get to the nice areas. As a third generation Zonie it would be very hard for me to move east of the Mississippi.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:26 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
I am not really looking forward to moving back east....

.....I was born a southerner, grew up in South Carolina, but not anxious to go back......
Howdy Dave,

On the way to CCR, Nancy and I stopped and spent time in Greenville, S.C.. What a great town. Very cool West End of Main Street. New single A Ballpark.

If you haven't checked it out in awhile, it might be worth a look.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #9 of 10 Old Sep 7th, 2006, 1:41 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
"it's so ridiculous that we can't lane split"
I feel that way every time I get out of state. Especially up here in Oregon, where people actually believe the 50 mph speed limit. Sheesh.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I feel that way every time I get out of state. Especially up here in Oregon, where people actually believe the 50 mph speed limit. Sheesh.
You've got that right, even on the backroads of eastern Oregon. US Hwy 395 is 55 mph in Oregon and 70 on the California side as you come around Goose Lake. Of course, the tarmac is a little better on the California side.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in