BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

GT or GS Forum? oh well here GT vs GS

4K views 64 replies 14 participants last post by  grifscoots 
#1 · (Edited)
My humble opinions again!

Ok I have had the opportunity to ride the NEW GT and now as some of you know we own a R1200GS as well. I have test rode the R1200GS before and loved it.

Here are my thoughts so far. I have been a good husband and done the break in miles on the wife’s GS since she can’t really ride it until the shocks are done and it’s lowered (I’m such a nice hubby),
so after 500’ish miles I have new thoughts of GS vs GT or the LT. Our poor LT is well, just left behind L technology has changed and the GS or GT win over the lt these day’s, Sorry you have been a wonderful machine in your 126k miles, but you just can’t compare to the new improved bikes like the GT or the refined GS, (I bet my bike is really pissed right now!) I still love it though!

As far as a fun factor the GS just walks over new GT in the mountains, or anything else I have rode, which include bikes like the ST, RT, FJR, Ninja’s, KLR, LT and a couple HD’s
I know, I said there was nothing better than the new GT on this planet and I'm not really changing my mind, just refining it <g>

Will the GS keep up with the GT? No definitely not, not if your talking about raw power! the GT will out power the GS no problem! Will the GS take the curves better than the GT? , I can't say it will except in the really tight switch backs or real tight turns, then the GS will take the GT IMHO, Keep in mind we are nit picking here, both these machines are superb handling machines! Take the same rider put them on both the GS or GT and after they got used to each bike I'm sure they could take the curves TIGHT CURVES better on the GS, but the GT would pull away right out of the curve.
The GT suspension is technology in its finest form, the GS suspension works perfectly as it is! The GS is light real light 479 lbs wet it is so easy to play around with anywhere! it is remarkable, I really enjoyed riding it up here in the mountains, I enjoyed parking it, moving it in the garage, riding up the side of the hill instead of out of the driveway, over the small curb just because you can, Turning circles with it - that is a blast!
The upright riding position with the wide handle bars on the GS makes it the perfect machine for riding the mountains, you have a great field of view very easy to turn your head to see through the curves or just sight see, the added leverage of the wide bars makes every turn no matter how tight effortless. let me add, you can easily park thise machine about anywhewrre, on a rock dirt fairly steep grade on the side of a roadway to take that picture! which adds a HUGE smile factor!.

The GS handles just fine at top speeds down the highway keep in mind they said not to go over 5000 rpm so I kept varying my rpm’s to a max of about 4500rpm. This was another of my concerns as I like to run about 80-82ishmph on trips, so that concern is gone, It does fine passing semi’s or getting passed by a semi. It is firm and solid at highway speed.

Wind protection was much better than I thought it would be on the GS, I know you look at the bike and say there is no wind protection, but there is, I have a bad lower back and neck injury and can not take head winds for very long, I was not bothered at all for the jaunt we took down the interstate which would bother me if it had too poor of wind protection (I cannot ride a windshield less bike at highway speeds)

I’m not comparing dollar values as that just opens a can of worms, everyone has their limit everyone has different justifications for what they spend, some can afford some can not some just have a different opinion of affording, I know one that lives in a 1.5m dollar home and can’t “afford” to buy a 10k dollar bike. Some may just have a love of motorcycling and find a way to pay for it (that would be us) who needs a retirement! We may not be here that long! <grin> for those looking to pick apart the dollars go buy a used Concourse, Ninja 250, KLR or a moped!
<grin>

See less See more
#2 ·
Tom
Thank you for this good report. I was more interested on the GS and it give me some good ideas.
Now, have your wife ever ride on the back of yours GS? How did she like,(or not) it?
Thank you again.

#3 ·
strsout said:
Tom
Thank you for this good report. I was more interested on the GS and it give me some good ideas.
Now, have your wife ever ride on the back of yours GS? How did she like,(or not) it?
Thank you again.

Thank You for reading it!

This GS is actually hers, http://tinyurl.com/r64sq she just can't ride it till it gets lowered, she has a lowered RT now so she has not been on the back of the bike, I thought maybe tonight taking her on the back and hitting a couple fire trails if she gets home from work in time, that is IF I can get her on hte back of HER bike <g>.
I can get about another 50-60 miles and still have enough left to get it to the dealer just in time for it's 600 mile service!.

Tom

#4 ·
Gs

I would also like to know how your wife likes it on the back of the GS. Or maybe she can take you for a ride and let us know how it is for the passenger???? LOL

#5 ·
mpillis said:
I would also like to know how your wife likes it on the back of the GS. Or maybe she can take you for a ride and let us know how it is for the passenger???? LOL

HA HA HA HA HA HA

No way am I getting on the back of a woman driving a bike!

NEVER!

(well ok maybe I have once <g>)

#7 ·
messenger13 said:
The GS is a girl's bike! That's why Karen and Vicki own one!!! :D

Printed out in a glossy 8*10 Framed and ready to submit to all the adventure riding mags as soon as MESSY 13 gets his girls bike!

Hey I ride a Mauve LT do you really think I care if it's a girls bike!

<grin>

#11 ·
messenger13 said:
The GS is a girl's bike! That's why Karen and Vicki own one!!! :D
Yes... and Raffy too!!!:eek: :histerica

#12 ·
zippy_gg said:
Yes... and Raffy too!!!:eek: :histerica

not to worry he's just poking me cause he knows there is a darn good chance I'm going to end up with the GS-A before him, or a GS and both a GS and a GT if I sell my LT.

i don't know why he is so worried though, he knows I'll let him ride it (as long as we swap keys <g>)

Tom

#13 ·
You guys really need to read more carefully. The GS is really his wife, Karen's, bike. He only gets to ride it because it isn't lowered yet. Tom is taking his time to do that, because once he does he knows he won't be riding it any more and he'll be looking at her rear fender more than he has in the past. :rotf:

Runnin' and duckin'.

P.S. Good to see you last week, Bro. We need to get together as soon as I can get work to quit interfering with my pleasure time.

#14 ·
Steve_R said:
You guys really need to read more carefully. The GS is really his wife, Karen's, bike. He only gets to ride it because it isn't lowered yet. Tom is taking his time to do that, because once he does he knows he won't be riding it any more and he'll be looking at her rear fender more than he has in the past. :rotf:

Runnin' and duckin'.

P.S. Good to see you last week, Bro. We need to get together as soon as I can get work to quit interfering with my pleasure time.

Actually after the fire roads and wolf pen gap today, the break in miles are done, the bike is a blast in the gap , does well off road and is ready for it;s 600 mile service, I will be leaving it in atlanta till the bike is done picking up my lt and bringing it home tomorrow, I go in the horspistol friday and if they don't kill me be back home healed up if all goes well and ordering my new bike next week still have not made up my mind GS GS-A OR GT

I want em all but can only ride one or two at a time <g>

as far as you and I getting together,
well is anything broke or need installed on your bike?

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaaaaaaa

Tom

#16 ·
Rocky Mayer and his wife have ridden to Alaska on their 1150 GS. They have a few add ons (windshield, highway pegs, lights, and of course custom seat) to make it LD friendly, but it can be done.

You'd really have to take a test drive with Elaine to know if it may work for you both.

#17 ·
tmgs said:
well is anything broke or need installed on your bike?
Nope, I'm in good shape. Need to do an oil change, but that's a sleeper job, I just need to ride.

#18 ·
GT vs GS vs RT

Now finish the test ! How about When the pavement ends?

The bottom line the GS rules overall.

I rode the GT . I feel the new RT performs better overall than the GT. Especially in the dirt. The majority of GT people complain of the RT vibes on the bars. I noticed the GT to be very irritating with seat vibes with motor breaking. Ergos with the GT Gave me a weggie the first time out. BTW the 1200 S runs away from the GT. They are all great bikes just test and choose your Weapon for me GSA.

#19 ·
murray said:
Now finish the test !
It all depends what criteria you set for "the test". I'll take my GT anywhere you would want to take an RT. And you better be one heck of a rider if you're going to keep up with my GT in the twisties...whether you're on an RT, or GS. The GT just has too many ponies for that Boxer powerplant. As for the 'S'. Great bike. I just wouldn't want to try riding it for much more than 400-500 miles a day. I lived that lie on my Ninja. Very similar bike. But the lack of wind protection killed me on 800-mile days.

So for me, the GT it is. :)

But in '08, I'll most likely be adding a GS to the stable. A GT and a GS in one garage? Almost too much to bear. :D

#20 ·
messenger13 said:
It all depends what criteria you set for "the test". I'll take my GT anywhere you would want to take an RT. And you better be one heck of a rider if you're going to keep up with my GT in the twisties...whether you're on an RT, or GS. The GT just has too many ponies for that Boxer powerplant. As for the 'S'. Great bike. I just wouldn't want to try riding it for much more than 400-500 miles a day. I lived that lie on my Ninja. Very similar bike. But the lack of wind protection killed me on 800-mile days.

So for me, the GT it is. :)

But in '08, I'll most likely be adding a GS to the stable. A GT and a GS in one garage? Almost too much to bear. :D
I Agree the GT will pull the RT in the straights. But in the tight twisties like the Tail I see the advantage going to the RT.The torque and 50 lbs less weight will help offset the HP difference. Even on the Chera??? loop it would be close with the advantage to the GT. With equal rider abilities.
As for the twisty challenge , How about Manhattan to SF and back. You can pick the route. I'll even give you a 4 hour head start and use my LT .

#21 ·
murray said:
I Agree the GT will pull the RT in the straights. But in the tight twisties like the Tail I see the advantage going to the RT.The torque and 50 lbs less weight will help offset the HP difference. Even on the Chera??? loop it would be close with the advantage to the GT. With equal rider abilities.
A GS couldn't hang with me. And I thought it was even lighter than the RT with the same motor. Hhmmn...

#22 ·
He specifically said "equal rider abilities". But since no one equals you, I guess we'll never know. ;)

#23 ·
murray said:
Now finish the test ! How about When the pavement ends?
I took her off road wednesday just up fire roads up to suches, it did as good as I expected, I'm an old dirt biker myself so can ride off road but am darn sure out of pratice and after the day off road, I think I will keep taking it easy with it off road, too much money to start playing hard with the gs off road, cause it will darn sure let you play hard! and too much titanium in me and money in back repairs already! after about a hour or two I started thinking WTF am I doing I'm not 19 any more and this is a damn pricey bike I'm about to dump! Boy was it fun though!

Tom

#24 ·
murray said:
As for the twisty challenge , How about Manhattan to SF and back. You can pick the route. I'll even give you a 4 hour head start and use my LT .

not on the rt, sorry but that gt will take that RT particularly on the cherohala! you would be better off tryying him out on the gap or wayah rd

personally I think the GS will eat the RT up all day long on any of those roads

seeriously
as fars as all out running
GT
GS
RT

in that order in my opinion

i'm going with the gs for the all around fun factor period, i'm giuving up the comforts the gt offer for it

Tom

#25 ·
meese said:
He specifically said "equal rider abilities". But since no one equals you, I guess we'll never know. ;)
actually that rider that day was pretty damn good, I was there when all this riding was going on, the GT just pulls away to easily from the GS and FJR in the curves the gt handles the bumpy roads much better like taking the shortcut through Joyce kilmer,

Tom

#26 ·
tmgs said:
not on the rt, sorry but that gt will take that RT particularly on the cherohala! you would be better off tryying him out on the gap or wayah rd

personally I think the GS will eat the RT up all day long on any of those roads

seeriously
as fars as all out running
GT
GS
RT

in that order in my opinion

i'm going with the gs for the all around fun factor period, i'm giuving up the comforts the gt offer for it

Tom
Tom I was referring to the GT-RT shootout... Did you ride the new RT? On the tail the RT will give the GT a run for the money. The torque and 50 less pounds allows the rider to hold it on longer , break later and carry more corner speed. The RT generates more usable power. My favorite is the GSA. Be careful off road. And congrats to your wife on her new bike. I'm jealous

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.