Norton Motorcycles. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PadG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Sep 6th, 2015, 9:53 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Norton Motorcycles.

I have owned several brands of motorcycles in the past, and the one that I had cherished the most was my 1963 Norton Dominator 650SS. The 650SS model had been the winner of the Isle of Man TT for three consecutive years, in the very early 1960's. The 650SS was the largest power-plant that Norton had managed to shoehorned into its famous "Featherbed" frame. Subsequent large twins were very good, but they were housed in the newer "Isolastic" frame, which IMHO, cannot compare in performance to the older featherbed frame.

Therefore, it was with very much interest that I noted this article honoring the Norton brand, while browsing through Google News:

Norton?s role in history of TT recalled in stamp issue - Isle of Man Today

The 650SS model were somewhat rare, even back when they were new. The one that I had was just one of only three that had been imported into New Zealand (where I was living at the time), and none had been officially imported into the US at all. A few weeks ago, I was browsing through YouTube, and made a search for any video of the 650SS. To my surprise, I found that Jay Leno has a 650SS in his collection, and had made a video of the bike! His is a 1962 model, and as an aside, if you look at his video, pay attention to the bar-end mirror that he has on the left-side. It's the same one that I have been using on my RTs! Note also what Jay said about the speed of the 650SS! Prsonally, I have seen 136 mph on the speedo of my 650SS, riding on the track. The actual speed was probably a few mph shy of what I saw.

This is a picture of my 650SS:

No, I don't dress like that when I rode in those days! Typically, it would be jeans, leather jacket, gauntlet riding gloves, and fur-lined leather riding boots.
zippy_gg likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in