VIABRATION ISSUES 2015 R1200RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 26th, 2015, 9:08 am Thread Starter

VIABRATION ISSUES 2015 R1200RT

I have new r1200Rt purchased in May this year. Had a hard high freq vibration coming through the grips and pegs that caised my hands to go numb in about 20-30 minutes of riding. . They retimed the bike which helped smooth things out a bit but still getting a high Freq Buzz in the grips . Not as intense as it was and smooths out a bit at 3800 RPM but gets worse above 4000 and below 3500 RPM. Does anyone else feel a buzziness in their grips at road speed under normal riding. Maybe its normal but most things
I ve read before buying my bike was how smooth that bike is with the increased size of the counter balancer in the new WATER HEAD boxers. Looking for some feed back. about what other riders experience on the their new W/C Boxers. Any feed back would be welcomb. Trying to determine if I have a problem or not. Thanks
CR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 26th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Re: VIABRATION ISSUES 2015 R1200RT

While I do have some vibration in both the grips and the pegs, it is nothing bothersome and I don't really notice it when riding.

The only issue I thought I had was with the seat. It was very hard and felt like sitting on a brick. After about 8000 miles I think it is broke in and I'm going to keep the stock seat. While I do not ride the distances a lot of folks around here ride, I just did 2 , 450 mile days with a couple 250 mile days between. I was ready to get off the bike at the end of the day but I think if I spent that much time sitting on anything I would be ready to get off or out of it.

All in all it is the finest motorcycle I have ever owned. I can't say it is perfect but nothing is.
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 26th, 2015, 7:48 pm

Re: VIABRATION ISSUES 2015 R1200RT

Hello CRider,

I don't know what bikes you've had but I came from a Harley with a low frequency buzz that never bothered me. When I first got my 2014 RT, I had a lot of bothersome high frequency buzz. A few times it felt like my right hand was falling asleep. My first purchase was the rubber grip deal thingy. (I can never remember if it is Grip Puppy or Grip Buddy or just Get a Grip. ha ha)

After some time I noticed it was getting better and better... I don't think the bike changed, I think I changed and relaxed my grip to allow the bike to do what it needs to do. (When you lose about 100 pounds of bike weight and increase HP by 50%, that is quite a jump to this ole boy.) Since then I've done a few 600+ mile days and it really isn't an issue.

With all that being said, does the dealer have a 2014 or 2015 they will let you take out for a back to back comparison? Maybe a fellow BMW RT rider you trust could take yours out for a spin.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in