Things are going to change, Tech info for those who use it. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 20th, 2015, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Things are going to change, Tech info for those who use it.

The legislation regarding motorcycles and their span have been re written in the EU. EU published Regulation 168/2013 talks about what is a motorcycle and how to regulate them. (you can use that EU number and find the complete reg to read, so many words and out side references, it is huge.) It is 72 pages long and very detailed with cross references that make it a nightmare. But the section that brings relief to many of us is Article 57. It changes the ball game. First these are EU regs, but if a manufacture wants to import to the EU they too have to meet these standards. And If the EU wants to export a bike it is easier to just have one format so I suspect all bikes will be built to these rules. In general it requires all repair manuals, data, software, electrical diagrams, service bulletins to be public at a reasonable cost. Here is a lengthy quote from that section. (buried earlier in the text is the elimination of 74 Kw bike limits.) This means a standard OBDII reader will work on bikes in the future and all the codes will be available for those code reader manufactures to come up with superior devices. No more secrets. Good repair manuals will become normal. This will be interesting. Suppose to start soon. Bikes will have the 18 pin OBD plug as the norm. There is much more in the reg. It talks about detailed construction information being available, you name it. Amazing.

Here is a section of the complete regulation from Google, thank you Google.

CHAPTER XV
ACCESS TO REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE INFORMATION
Article 57
Manufacturers’ obligations
1. Manufacturers shall provide unrestricted access to vehicle repair and maintenance information to independent operators through websites using a standardised format in a readily accessible and prompt manner. In particular, this access shall be granted in a manner which is non-discriminatory compared to the provision given or access granted to authorised dealers and repairers. This obligation shall not apply if a vehicle has been approved as a small series vehicle.
2. Until the Commission has adopted a common standard, the information referred to in paragraph 1 shall be submitted in a consistent manner that can be processed by independent operators with reasonable effort.
Manufacturers shall also make training material available to independent operators and authorised dealers and repairers.
3. The information referred to in paragraph 1 shall include as a minimum all of the following:
(a)
an unequivocal vehicle identification number;

(b)
service handbooks including repair and maintenance records and service schedules;

(c)
technical manuals and technical service bulletins;

(d)
component and diagnosis information (such as minimum and maximum theoretical values for measurements);

(e)
wiring diagrams;

(f)
diagnostic trouble codes, including manufacturer-specific codes;

(g)
the software identification and calibration verification numbers applicable to a vehicle type;

(h)
information concerning, and delivered by means of, proprietary tools and equipment;

(i)
data record information and two-directional monitoring and test data;

(j)
work units.
4. Authorised dealers or repairers within the distribution system of a given vehicle manufacturer shall be regarded as independent operators for the purposes of this Regulation to the extent that they provide repair or maintenance services for vehicles in respect of which they are not members of the vehicle manufacturer’s distribution system.
5. The vehicle repair and maintenance information shall always be available, except as required for maintenance purposes of the information system.
6. For the purposes of manufacture and servicing of OBD-compatible replacement or service parts and diagnostic tools and test equipment, manufacturers shall provide the relevant OBD and vehicle repair and maintenance information on a non-discriminatory basis to any interested manufacturer or repairer of component, diagnostic tool or test equipment.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 21st, 2015, 11:30 am

Re: Things are going to change, Tech info for those who use it.

I applaud that effort!
I own a 2006 Mercedes Benz and there is off-the-shelf manual available, and you cannot perform real diagnostic unless you buy the very expensive Start system and plug it int a proprietary port under the hood.
This made my decision to NEVER own another Benz very easy!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 21st, 2015, 7:13 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Re: Things are going to change, Tech info for those who use it.

Quote " (buried earlier in the text is the elimination of 74 Kw bike limits.) " That's 99 HP
That is interesting !
France has had this limit (although IIRC it was 78 Kw 105 HP) which although it seems to be largely ignored, could trip you up if the insurance Co. wanted to get picky.
The latter LT's (at 116hp) fell foul of this stupid rule by just 11hp, and actually required modification by BMW to allow legal import.
Another hoop we won't have to jump.
Yeh !!

Thanks for the heads up Beech.

Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in