Foot Brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Foot Brakes

My rear brake fluid indicator is empty on my 2000 KLT and I do not have any brakes using the foot brake. The hand brakes work fine and the brake fluid level on each handle bar are within the bulls eye. Where is the inlet to fill the rear brake reservoir?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:37 pm

The brake fluid reservoir on the right handlebar is for the front brake control circuit. It is not directly connected to the front brakes.

The reservoir for the front and rear brake wheel circuits is on the right hand side of the bike almost directly behind where the right saddlebag meets the right side tupperware. It is difficult to see or to get to unless you remove the tupperware. You have to remove the right passenger foot plate and I believe that there are 4 screws holding on the tupperware. The reservoir has 2 chambers in a single housing. I don't believe that the 2000 LT's have a level sensor so the fill level is not as critical as on the newer models (they have to be at the max level or you get flashing ABS lights).

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 12:37 pm

Genericly:
Lift seat
Right side - toward the rear
Look just forward of the curve of the fender panel

Usually have to remove the R side battery cover to get to it.

But - you don't mention what year your bike is - it can vary a bit.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 1:16 pm

Have you noticed anything leaking by the rear wheel? On my 2000LT, I had to replace the rear brake line. The rubber lines only last so long, and if they are anything like the rubber used for the rear main seal, I would change all the rubber brake lines immediately!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #5 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 1:28 pm

The 2000 has one small reservoir under the rear seat on the right side. If you are careful you can refill it without taking off much if any tupperware. Be careful not to get any fluid on your paint. If you have a leak - you need to fix that first - and be sure to get any air out of the line.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
The brake fluid reservoir on the right handlebar is for the front brake control circuit. It is not directly connected to the front brakes.

The reservoir for the front and rear brake wheel circuits is on the right hand side of the bike almost directly behind where the right saddlebag meets the right side tupperware. It is difficult to see or to get to unless you remove the tupperware. You have to remove the right passenger foot plate and I believe that there are 4 screws holding on the tupperware. The reservoir has 2 chambers in a single housing. I don't believe that the 2000 LT's have a level sensor so the fill level is not as critical as on the newer models (they have to be at the max level or you get flashing ABS lights).
I believe that is only true for the integrated brakes. The 2000's brakes are not connected.

With the rear brakes so low that they don't work, make sure you bleed the system after you fill it up. If you don't have speed bleeders on already, get some. Do a search on speed bleeders for the full scoop.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #7 of 7 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:57 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep, only one rear brake reservoir on the standard ABS brakes ('99-'01 bikes, calipers say "Brembo"). See pic below. But I also agree that you need to find out why it is empty, fix it, and then bleed everything properly.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in