Please don't Shoot! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Smile Please don't Shoot!

Well I've gone and done it now. Last Friday I drove over to Chattanooga, Tennessee and bought a new Gold Wing. Long story, somewhat shortened up: back in May I became somewhat bored with my '05 LT-wonderful bike; perhaps the best I've ever had. Owning/riding the same bike for six years got to be a lettle tiring. Plan A; buy a new R1200RT and wait until the new generation LT's are available. The CANBUS/Bushtec irreconcilable differences stopped that plan. Plan B; buy an '02 R1150RT and wait it out. Ruth's fanny and the R1150RT's seat and overall space limitation compelled me to sell the RT just yesterday to a fellow in Pennsylvania who called me this morning telling me how he enjoyed riding it home yesterday.
On to Plan C; buy a new '06 Gold Wing with audio/comfort/navigation/abs and load 'er up with farkles; then go into wait mode for the new generation LT. Ruth and I rode the GW down to Charlotte last night to watch the Panthers wup the Dolphins, had a good ole time. A few early observations:

LT winner category: brakes, suspension, engine heat management, styling/design (subjective), cache (subjective), and fuel mileage.

GW winner category: way 'mo engine (torque, smoothness, throttle response), lower center of gravity (has tradeoff's in cornering), completeness/length of warranty plus extended factory warranty, much less maintenance intensive ( I, for one, like a lettle grease under my finger nails), ease of filling gas tank, locomotive like high beam headlight, dealer network, multiple accessory vendors.

Anyhow, Ruth and I will plan a grand entrance next Thursday at CCR sans stuffed animals, pinstriping, vests, patches and pins. Oh yeah, we'll prolly get lost on our way to the next 'Wingding' too!

Okay Daddy Don, I'm outta the closet now and in full view! See 'ya soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 8:04 pm

Congrats Bruce. That's a sharp looking bike. Been waiting for you to spill the beans on the board. Now you can jump in on all those LT vs GW threads with some authority. See you next week at CCR, sorry we'll miss the chance to ride down with you.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Question

Bruce,

Is your '05 LT for sale?

I've heard rumors that the '07 Wing will be very different than the '01 to '06 run.

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Congrats! Can't believe ya' sold the ole yeller LT though....

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
Congrats Bruce. That's a sharp looking bike. Been waiting for you to spill the beans on the board. Now you can jump in on all those LT vs GW threads with some authority. See you next week at CCR, sorry we'll miss the chance to ride down with you.
Bruce who? There used to be a really nice LT rider here named Bruce, have not heard from him in a day or so. Hearing really nasty rumours though.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisjr
Well I've gone and done it now. Last Friday I drove over to Chattanooga, Tennessee and bought a new Gold Wing. Long story, somewhat shortened up: back in May I became somewhat bored with my '05 LT-wonderful bike; perhaps the best I've ever had. Owning/riding the same bike for six years got to be a lettle tiring. Plan A; buy a new R1200RT and wait until the new generation LT's are available. The CANBUS/Bushtec irreconcilable differences stopped that plan. Plan B; buy an '02 R1150RT and wait it out. Ruth's fanny and the R1150RT's seat and overall space limitation compelled me to sell the RT just yesterday to a fellow in Pennsylvania who called me this morning telling me how he enjoyed riding it home yesterday.
On to Plan C; buy a new '06 Gold Wing with audio/comfort/navigation/abs and load 'er up with farkles; then go into wait mode for the new generation LT. Ruth and I rode the GW down to Charlotte last night to watch the Panthers wup the Dolphins, had a good ole time. A few early observations:

LT winner category: brakes, suspension, engine heat management, styling/design (subjective), cache (subjective), and fuel mileage.

GW winner category: way 'mo engine (torque, smoothness, throttle response), lower center of gravity (has tradeoff's in cornering), completeness/length of warranty plus extended factory warranty, much less maintenance intensive ( I, for one, like a lettle grease under my finger nails), ease of filling gas tank, locomotive like high beam headlight, dealer network, multiple accessory vendors.

Anyhow, Ruth and I will plan a grand entrance next Thursday at CCR sans stuffed animals, pinstriping, vests, patches and pins. Oh yeah, we'll prolly get lost on our way to the next 'Wingding' too!

Okay Daddy Don, I'm outta the closet now and in full view! See 'ya soon...

Out of closet...now don't you feel better, the whole world wide web now knows you got a Goldwing.... now if we can get the trailer and bike to match...

See you and Ruth at CE...

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 8:24 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardenross
Bruce,

Is your '05 LT for sale? I sold her back in June to a really nice fellow, John Letteney of Southern Pines, NC. He promised to give her a good home and treat 'er right.

I've heard rumors that the '07 Wing will be very different than the '01 to '06 run.
In what respect do you anticipate differences Allen?

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Bruce, I'm mad 'cause you didn't call me while you were in Chattanooga! LOL

Chattanooga is about 1 mile away!

Really, a Wing?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #9 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 5:10 pm

I have a recollection of providing some colorful zipties to mount a stuffed animal on the back of some guy's bike and now I'm trying to figure out how to do the "ignore" thing to him. Sounds like Bruce might be following in the footsteps of ....... sheesh now I've forgotten the guys name.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #10 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:39 pm

i love the way they integrated the GPS and all the other doo dads. hope you enjoy your new wing ...
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 8:28 pm

all new

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceHarrisJr
In what respect do you anticipate differences Allen?
I read somewhere (MCN, I guess) that the '07 will be a completely new bike. If not the '07 then the '08. I will see if I can find the article.
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 8:26 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Well I've gone and done it now. Last Friday I drove over to Chattanooga, Tennessee and bought a new Gold Wing.
It doesn't matter what you ride....

only THAT you ride. Enjoy the new bike!

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #13 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:57 am
fas

Cool Gw Vs Gt

Quote:
Well I've gone and done it now. Last Friday I drove over to Chattanooga, Tennessee and bought a new Gold Wing. .... I'm outta the closet now and in full view! See 'ya soon...
Congrats on the new ride. Hope you and your gal have many, many safe and reliable miles.

SO and I tried both the GW and GT. We went with the nimble GT.

Whatever blows your skirt up!

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Really hope you enjoy your new bike. The Goldwing can be an awesome bike, and I know the dealer in Chattanooga really moves them out the door at a great price. d.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in