HYPER - Lites (Flashing brake light enhancement) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:08 am Thread Starter

HYPER - Lites (Flashing brake light enhancement)

Anyone ever install Hyper Lites on their LT?

Problems w/ ABS ? Like or dislike?

Thanks!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:43 am

I have this one for the spoiler light:

http://www.kisantech.com/view_produc...oduct=25LED-LT

I didn't install it myself but I like the way that it works.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #3 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee
I have this one for the spoiler light:

http://www.kisantech.com/view_produc...oduct=25LED-LT

I didn't install it myself but I like the way that it works.
+1 on the Tailblazer. I love mine!

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:01 pm

I put a "Vectralight" LPC-16 on mine. Its a license plate frame gizmo with brake light modulater and turn signal, too. Works well, gives a bit more vizibility from the rear. Very satisfied with it. Look at www.kisantech.com.
Bill Reidy
post #5 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:17 pm

My OEM luggage rack light leds flash rapidly and in unison with my dual (upper and lower) license plate frame leds - and at the same time my OEM tailight group (incandescent) flashes three times then solid, three times then solid.

I'm hard to miss.

I honestly can't remember how I did it without taking it all apart again, but I seem to remember using two of the Kisan units... it was just pretty straight forward wiring stuff, nothing fancy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:42 pm
Gold Supporter

Trailblazer on the spoiler here too. Better and brighter than the Hyper Lights, although I have thought about adding the Hyper Lights to the bottoms of my saddlebags for added visability.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #7 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog

Thanks!
Have had them on my bike since new....and have not had any problems with them. They work fine with ABS. They do get people's attention when you apply the brakes.

Bruce
Rowlett, TX
2010 Gold Wing
'00 Canyon Red - Sold

post #8 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 1:25 pm

I installed them on my 1999 RT & now on my 2006 LT. Very easy to install on the LT, only 15 minutes. Great instructions come with the Hyper lights for the LT also. No splicing, just plug and play. Very bright also. I recommend them for any bike . Go for it "No fun no fools"

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #9 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 2:37 pm

I have 2 sets on mine along with the luggage rack light with no problem.
post #10 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Smile

*Thanks for the replies....

I won a set @ the recent BMW Rally and was wondering about putting them on the LT or one of my other bikes...

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #11 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 3:08 pm

Hyper lites on 02

I have had them on for a few months now and have not had a problem. I have the 16 led with the turnsignal indicator. I also need to move them up higher when I get a chance. Have had alot of coments on how you really notice them from other riders.
wired them up to the back brake light as follows and placed the flasher beneth the light assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030198sm.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	6048   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030200sm.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	6049   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030202sm.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	6050   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030204sm.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	6051   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030210sm.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	6052  

Name:	wireing.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	6054  

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Last edited by rkirker; Aug 23rd, 2006 at 3:17 pm.
post #12 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 3:56 pm

Quote:

Thanks!
I have tail blazer' on the top rack lites flashing and hyper light blocks.. (2 sets of 8 lites) mounted below the tail light housing.. I tried the replacement flasher/Led bulbs... Forget it!! All seemed ok until I attempted to put her on the power centerstand.. It was then I noticed brake failure light blinking!!! WOW... what did I do?? after a bit of research here on the site I confirmed that 05' and up do not function properly with the flasher bulbs.. Pulled them, and ALL IS WELL..
That is why I did the hyper light blocks below, and later the running light/flasher for the top rack as in photo above.. All of this works fine without issues..

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #13 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 4:38 pm

Thumbs up

Hyper lites are great. Have the duel LED superbrights attached to the bottom of the center light bar. Take the source lead from the outside light source rather than from the center bulb.

I did have several LEDs burn out on the 8 light cluster. Contacted Hyperlite and they sent me replacement modules - NO COST! Just send the old ones back. Great customer service.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #14 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 7:24 pm

I got the Rider West K1200LT Top Rack LED Brake Flasher from Raffy

Works great
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brakeflasher%20resized.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	6062  

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #15 of 31 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 7:51 pm

Ditto here on the RiderWest flasher. Even got the new unit that switches the hot so I could also use the top rack LED's as a tail light at 1/2 power.

Love the unit and the service from both RiderWest and Raffy was first rate and quick.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #16 of 31 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 2:38 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The Rider West kit works very well. My only complaint is that it should have come with BMW-compatible plugs. Cutting the old plug off and crimping on standard bullet connectors is a bit cheesy.

But it sure does get noticed by anyone behind you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 31 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 6:23 am

Made no difference to me since I was interfacing the running light circuit as well I would have had to use bullets or something similar. Besides I always have bullets around.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #18 of 31 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

I want a Hyperlite-type product on my '05 LT badly, but reading through this kind of thread drives me crazy -- I'm not an electrician or even electrically-inclined. I envy you guys with basic (or advanced) electrical/mechanical skills. Cutting off a connector and crimping on a new one? If someone shows me how, I can do it; but on my own? Forget it. Splicing or tapping into wires? Don't think so.

It also drives me crazy because I waffle back and forth on what to get, what works, pre 05, post 05, yadda yadda yadda. Hard to keep it all straight.

Factor in that I'd like to put a top case rack on the my bike and it gets more confusing to me, so let me try this:

What can you recommend that I get to accomplish the following:
1. Top case rack (BMW, Ztechnic, Harley?), either with stock brake light (nice) or flashing LED brakelight (better). I've seen these in use. Very noticeable. I want the most useful top case rack; for me, that would be the rack that has the largest dimensions and weight-carrying capacity. The BMW rack seems so small. The Harley rack seems so much more practical, but no brake light. Yes, I know we're not supposed to put lots of weight on the rack.
2. Turn the rear turn signals into running lights. More visibility.
3. Add a set of flashing LEDs somewhere else on the rear of the bike, for the reasons you all discuss.
4. Turn the panniers' reflectors into turn signals. More visibility.

Maybe I should contract with someone from this site to do all this. I gather all the goodies, ride to your place, pay you for your expertise to install everything. I don't want to monopolize a Tech Session for all of that.

Comments and advice, please.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #19 of 31 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Snip.....

Maybe I should contract with someone from this site to do all this. I gather all the goodies, ride to your place, pay you for your expertise to install everything. I don't want to monopolize a Tech Session for all of that.

Hey, Howard - them's the fun part of tech sessions. I mean changin' fluids and gittin' all greazy and sweaty and eatin' lunch 'fore you wash up - them's the good parts too, butt to ride off into the sunset with farkles aflashin' and left turn signals winkin' when you really wanna turn right and brake lights aglowin' when you kick in the cruise control --- now them's the fun(ny) parts. And you've got some of the great wrenches in your back yard, why not lett'em have some of the fun thangs to do. Plus, we all like to see YOUR wallet disappear, rather than our own!!!!

Ride safe, Howard. We're needin' ya around here for a long time to come.
post #20 of 31 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 1:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Howard - them's the fun part of tech sessions. I mean changin' fluids and gittin' all greazy and sweaty and eatin' lunch 'fore you wash up - them's the good parts too, butt to ride off into the sunset with farkles aflashin' and left turn signals winkin' when you really wanna turn right and brake lights aglowin' when you kick in the cruise control --- now them's the fun(ny) parts. And you've got some of the great wrenches in your back yard, why not lett'em have some of the fun thangs to do. Plus, we all like to see YOUR wallet disappear, rather than our own!!!!

Ride safe, Howard. We're needin' ya around here for a long time to come.
Appreciate that, Dick. I'm thinking I should just bring a checkbook and credit cards to CCR, throw them on the ground in front of the vendors and say "Here -- sell me stuff!" I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige!

To summarize my lengthy post above: I need help in determining the "right" (or "best") products to purchase for those goals. Installing them will probably be easier...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 31 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:14 pm
Gold Supporter

Hey Dick,

You better be careful what you wish for. I'm not that far from ya, that I can't come take you up on some of those services.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #22 of 31 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Hey Dick,

You better be careful what you wish for. I'm not that far from ya, that I can't come take you up on some of those services.
Hey, Jerry - brung yoreself on up here. It oughta be cooler startin' in late Sept or early Oct --- I hope.

BTW - you're the second list member I've chatted with from Magnolia. Did some e-mail exchanges with a couple there - she runs The Glass Magnolia (I think that's it) - not too long ago. Figger I might make a visit down there one of these cooler days, and stop off for a tour of the Blue Bell ice cream factory!!!

Stay tuned for our next scheduled tech session, Jerry. I'll try and remember to ping ya when it's on the calendar.
post #23 of 31 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:13 pm

post #24 of 31 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomakazie
I installed them on my 1999 RT & now on my 2006 LT. Very easy to install on the LT, only 15 minutes. Great instructions come with the Hyper lights for the LT also. No splicing, just plug and play. Very bright also. I recommend them for any bike . Go for it "No fun no fools"
I just got the very same bike that you have and want additional lights on the rear. Could you elaborate on how you installed the Hyper Lights and which ones you used? Thanks.

Ray
post #25 of 31 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Heres mine mounted, the U32 Universal Model, dual 16 diode !!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hyper-litesON.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	7886  

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #26 of 31 Old Oct 30th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomakazie
I now have a 2003 Uni-go trailer and I installed the Hyper lights on the licence plate. They Rock !!!
Just put them on.

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #27 of 31 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 1:32 pm

On the 02 no problems

Quote:

Thanks!
Have placed them on the 02 and love em. I have had no problems.
Here is a link to how I installed them.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11177

Just do It.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #28 of 31 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_but_Happy
+1 on the Tailblazer. I love mine!
I have a 2006 LT as well and was wondering if you could tell me how to install. Thank you.

Ray
post #29 of 31 Old Oct 31st, 2006, 5:34 pm

glad to give ya a hand

Quote:
I want a Hyperlite-type product on my '05 LT badly, but reading through this kind of thread drives me crazy -- I'm not an electrician or even electrically-inclined. I envy you guys with basic (or advanced) electrical/mechanical skills. Cutting off a connector and crimping on a new one? If someone shows me how, I can do it; but on my own? Forget it. Splicing or tapping into wires? Don't think so.

It also drives me crazy because I waffle back and forth on what to get, what works, pre 05, post 05, yadda yadda yadda. Hard to keep it all straight.

Factor in that I'd like to put a top case rack on the my bike and it gets more confusing to me, so let me try this:

What can you recommend that I get to accomplish the following:
1. Top case rack (BMW, Ztechnic, Harley?), either with stock brake light (nice) or flashing LED brakelight (better). I've seen these in use. Very noticeable. I want the most useful top case rack; for me, that would be the rack that has the largest dimensions and weight-carrying capacity. The BMW rack seems so small. The Harley rack seems so much more practical, but no brake light. Yes, I know we're not supposed to put lots of weight on the rack.
3. Add a set of flashing LEDs somewhere else on the rear of the bike, for the reasons you all discuss.

Howard:
I would be glad to give you a hand if you need one I put the hypers 16 led combos, Motolights with auto switch and XM on mine and nothin blowed up yep .
Mine is an 02 and not an 05. I do have the clymer with the 05 wiring diagram in it. No Guarantees but if you need the help I my be able to come to your tech session. (I already did the Slave wep hole) so I could help ya out on the electrical on yours if you would like. Can bring metters and everything else needed.

I try not to cut any wires when I do any electrical I try to use these (part number 7063K32) from mcmaster.com. I have not had a problem with them. Have used them on a few Gwings also.

Let me know when the next tech session is and I will see if the schedules (work, Kids and Wife) permits a trip.

and it wont cost ya a thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wirecrimp.gif
Views:	94
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	7926  

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl

Last edited by rkirker; Oct 31st, 2006 at 5:41 pm.
post #30 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 1:32 pm

Works great and it's a small investment for visability.

Good Luck
post #31 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

...What can you recommend that I get to accomplish the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
Howard:
I would be glad to give you a hand if you need one I put the hypers 16 led combos, Motolights with auto switch and XM on mine and nothin blowed up yep .
Mine is an 02 and not an 05. I do have the clymer with the 05 wiring diagram in it. No Guarantees but if you need the help I my be able to come to your tech session. (I already did the Slave wep hole) so I could help ya out on the electrical on yours if you would like. Can bring metters and everything else needed.

I try not to cut any wires when I do any electrical I try to use these (part number 7063K32) from mcmaster.com. I have not had a problem with them. Have used them on a few Gwings also.

Let me know when the next tech session is and I will see if the schedules (work, Kids and Wife) permits a trip.

and it wont cost ya a thing.
Rich, I haven't been following this thread or I would have replied earlier.

Thanks. Funny thing is, since I posted the above I've accomplished a few of the things: I have the brake modulator ready to install whenever I get a rack. After talking with people at length at CCR I decided on the Ztechnic rack. Just need to order it and install it. Had the RiderWest reflector conversion kit installed at CCR, also, and I like it every time I hit the turn signal buttons. It's slow and steady progress... Don't worry; I'll take you up on your offer some time.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in