1200s opinions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

1200s opinions?

Howdy out there..

I'm lamenting as usual. I shouldn't have eyeballed that blue/white 1200s at the dealer, the last one of course.

I have 73k on my 02 LTC and I also own a personally massaged FZ1 now named sike-oh

Issue is...I may be commuting between Huntington Beach and NW Phoenix within a couple months, I hope (job transfer). Its about 350 miles one way.

The FZ1 will run forever, easy to fix, waaaay to much power (heheheh)...a perfect bike really Except..heat! that baby pitches a lotta heat your way in the summer.

Sooo...I keep thinking about that S...knowing there are much better choices out there like the GT, but I plan to keep the LT for 2-up riding. Great for lane splitting too.

Do any of ya'll out there with some miles on the S think its feasible at my almost 53 years? I sat on one, I'm a tad worried the bars are a bit too low (squiddy) but what a great bike. I am a little worried about going to jail though, can't seem to stay off the throttle sometimes.

sure do wanna own one of those before I move on to the next planet!

regards...geo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 1:51 pm

I owned a FZ1 and have test ridden an S.

The S was more comfortable. At first I thought it was too much lean forward, just sittin in the lot, but on the test drive, it was very comfortable.

Much more quiet than the stock FZ1 too.

Can't say I would want to do 350 every day on either one, but If you would do it on the FZ1, I think the S wouldn't be a problem.

The ESA really works great on the bike too. I got to test drive mine around Bentonville, and had it in some twisties too. Much more confidence inspiring than the FZ1.

After the test-drive, I was REALLY wanting one, but I didn't think I would do long days on it anymore than my FZ1, and the old right wrist was gonna get me in trouble on the FZ1 as it was, I didn't need any more ponies.

I instead opted for the R1200GS. Fast enough, for me. Great all around bike. I kept the LT for long trips and trips with the wife, but the GS is my daily driver and short trip bike. I think I need a new seat or at least an airpad before I could do Long Distance on the GS, otherwise its a great bike in its own right, not as comfy as the LT, but a bit more character I think.

Hopefully one of the many S owners here will chime in soon.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 2:30 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongs
.....Issue is...I may be commuting between Huntington Beach and NW Phoenix within a couple months, I hope (job transfer). Its about 350 miles one way.

The FZ1 will run forever, easy to fix, waaaay to much power (heheheh)...a perfect bike really Except..heat! that baby pitches a lotta heat your way in the summer.

Sooo...I keep thinking about that S...knowing there are much better choices out there like the GT, but I plan to keep the LT for 2-up riding. Great for lane splitting too.

Do any of ya'll out there with some miles on the S think its feasible at my almost 53 years? I sat on one, I'm a tad worried the bars are a bit too low....
Howdy Geo,

The K1200R has less wind protection than the K-S and, for this 46 yr old, 350 miles at a sitting is not a problem.

Heat has not been an issue with the K-R engine.

On the seating position, you can trade a K-R guy for the K-S triple clamp. It's an easy swap and will give you a bit more upright sitting position.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 2:30 pm

Talking My son's 'S'...

Quote:
Do any of ya'll out there with some miles on the S think its feasible at my almost 53 years?
My son and I (he's 30), recently got back from a 5000+ mile tour out west. He was riding my mint, 1978 R100/7 with a Windjammer fairing. We had to stop at Bak BMW in Sioux City, Iowa to have a new rear shock put on my LT.

Julian fell in love with an 'S' and traded my R100 in on it On the spot!

We then road to Michigan (my home) and the next day left for New York (his home).

I have put some big miles on the bike - He has put 2000 miles on touring around the last few weeks. The bike is VERY comfortable for what it is. We did 500-600 mile days. I could ride it all day myself (I'm older than you are).

But, here are my thoughts:
1. How fit are you?
2. Are you overweight?
3. Do you have any back or leg issues?
4. Do you workout regularly?
5. CAN YOU CONTROL YOUR RIGHT WRIST????

The first four are serious questions - I'm very fit and do okay on Sport Bikes - I find the K1200S comfortable enough for LD sport touring applications.

Question #5 is more of a problem. This scoot is seriously fast!

Good luck...and let us know what you descide.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #5 of 11 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 3:16 pm

Previous Owner of an LT - never ridden an FZ1

I sold my LT since it was not getting any 2 up riding at all and got me an 05 K1200S. I have done two weekends on the row, 300+ miles one way and more than a few 250 miles round trip and I like it a lot.

JATownsend is very right your height, weight and inseam so have a lot to do with how confortable your ride on the S will be.

My inseam is huge, I flat foot a GS Adventure so go figure, the higher your inseam the more issues you will have with your knees getting tired after a while, same with your butt and (privates, which get pushed hard towards the tank) but the beauty off it is, the bike WILL MAKE you stop after about 180 miles for gaz which is about the right time to get everything moving so you will not get so tired. 15 to 20 minutes stops can keep me going ALL DAY.

Now comparing seating positions between LT and S some people think I am crazy but after a 200 miles on my LT my wrists would ache (specially the right hand hard throttle grip I guess) my shoulder blades would ache, lack of weight on them since the seating position on the LT requires very little on your shoulder blades and the most important my lower lower back, right above our god given "crack", man it would hurt like hell when riding the LT. I guess because of the seating position my entire 250 pounds would be on top of my lower back.

But with the S no, it seems like the weight is completely distributed very well, so some on your wrists, some on your shoulders, some on your back and butt.

ESA works wonders and its worth every penny. I do not have the On Board Computer, and would like to have it if I could. What am I missing, man the dang cruise control, I miss my cruise control, but at the same time, the bike buzzes around 5500rpm to 6000 rpm (80+ miles per hour) so the Throttlemeisters heavy should fix the buzz and the cruise I hope.

Wind Protection, invest on the MRA Touring or Touring VARIO(the one with the lip on it) those two shields will make the bike an even better GT machine.

Barbacks should help, I just think they look BUTT UGLY on the bike so Billy's idea of swaping it with the KR might be alright, I love the KR handle bars.

Anyway sorry for the long reply but as far as I am concerned, the way I ride, my physical self on top of a bike. I love the S, love my LT, but I think for a crotch rocket/superbike type machine which the S falls under, it is probably the most confortable one you will find

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 6:34 am Thread Starter

Wow, thats some great input, thanks to all.

Ok, my physical profile...I'm good on all the first 4, its #5 that is going to kill me if I don't get a little older sooner than later ...mentally that is.

I put 40k miles on an FZ1 in the 1st 2 yrs I owned it. Most miles in a day, about 950 and more than once. Granted, that was 01-02, sold it, bought the LT and recently traded my truck off to my buddy for his FZ, since I've done all the work on it since it was born. I could just use that but...gee, why if I can have a beemer, they are great for the long run.

Soooo....I'm fully aware of what a long trip will do to me. I've looked like the pink panther more than once sliding off the bike at my motel room.

I'm 5'8". about 200 lbs (about 10 lbs o/wt) and I did sit on that S.....it fits me really nice I actually prefer that sitting position more than the upright LT ride. Same goes for the Z, that corbin is comfy. The wind kicks yer arse after awhile though.

I am thinking about the 1200GS too, I could use it for 2-up days out in the AZ wilderness once in awhile and still be pretty comfy commuting all those miles.

I should know if the move is on within a couple weeks, then I'll have to decide if I want to pop for another bike, dump the Z and get either the S or the GS. I'll keep ya'll posted of course.

happy trails out there!...geo
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 1:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wind!!!

Something else you want to take into serious consideration is the very strong winds you will experience if you ride on I-10.
Last March I rode my new (to me) LT through New Mexico and AZ I experienced nasty lateral winds that made the ride very uncomfortable and even scary at times. A couple of months later I rode Kathy's F650 on the same route and it was frankly scary! The bike was leaning left for over 80 miles and I had my knee out to the left to keep the fatigue to a minimum. The wind was so strong that I even lost the right side case which was not mounted properly. Cagers signaled me and I was able to find it and re-attach it safely.
In short I was a lot more comfortable on the LT under the same wind circumstances. I am not sure how the "S" handles the wind...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 2:02 pm

you could always buy a heli-bar kit to raise the handlebars of the K1200S a bit for comfort.

http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB9012
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 2:34 pm
fas

to S or not to S

Quote:
Howdy out there..

I am a little worried about going to jail though, can't seem to stay off the throttle sometimes....geo
My GT engine coolant never gets hot like the LT did in trafffic. It is really comfortable. Is a breeze to ride in city traffic. I added the top case so I can stow helmets and whatever. For my body and condition, the S is too low. I feel the GT offers better ergos for me and SO. The S to me is more of a balls out track bike. The GT gives you a ton of performance with better wind protection to help fight fatigue for long runs.

Good luck with your selection. After four years on the LT, I rode the S, the R, and bought the GT. Our home celebrates it's 100th birthday and we are "garage impaired." I can only park one bike, so the GT got the nod.

We all share that wrist issue you mentioned. I recently lost a pal, HOG rider. Gravel road, all alone. Who knows why his number came up?

Ride fast, ride safe.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
My son and I (he's 30), recently got back from a 5000+ mile tour out west. He was riding my mint, 1978 R100/7 with a Windjammer fairing. We had to stop at Bak BMW in Sioux City, Iowa to have a new rear shock put on my LT.

Julian fell in love with an 'S' and traded my R100 in on it On the spot!

We then road to Michigan (my home) and the next day left for New York (his home).

I have put some big miles on the bike - He has put 2000 miles on touring around the last few weeks. The bike is VERY comfortable for what it is. We did 500-600 mile days. I could ride it all day myself (I'm older than you are).

But, here are my thoughts:
1. How fit are you?
2. Are you overweight?
3. Do you have any back or leg issues?
4. Do you workout regularly?
5. CAN YOU CONTROL YOUR RIGHT WRIST????

The first four are serious questions - I'm very fit and do okay on Sport Bikes - I find the K1200S comfortable enough for LD sport touring applications.

Question #5 is more of a problem. This scoot is seriously fast!

Good luck...and let us know what you descide.

I couldn't agree with you more, I just came back from Vegas on the S, it was very warm but very comfortable riding, I did not have a single muscle ache after riding it, just wished the tank could hold more gas.

I do my own stunts
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

No worries on the long notes, I've already read all this stuff 4 times, heheh...in the hopes that SOMEONE will be able to talk some sense into me, Mr. Townsend excluded since he already thinks like I do

And...is there some sort of tissue magnet on that daym S?? I can't seem to keep my body away from it! They still have that blue/white O6 on the floor, I have one day to decide if I want it along w/that free navigator. it doesn't have ECS though, which I may want to wait for.

Still....I know what the issues are. I plan to keep my 02 LT for 2-up..forever...and either use the Z for a commuter or buy another beemer. Thats why I think I can get away with the S, especially with the nice bags, etc you can get for it.

I forgot about the winds along I-10 there..DOH! I don't know how since I find all those windmills look cool, I simply forgot they need big winds to work

It will probably be early in the new year before I actually move out there so I have a little time to decide. I can get a decent price on this 06 since its not loaded, etc, and it'd have a lot of miles on it fast so end-worth isn't an issue.

mmmm...mmm...mmmm....more beer....mmm... more beer....think I'll sleep on it..again!!!

Still open for any yaw's in the appropriate direction.

regards!..geo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in