Installing Heated Back Rest - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Installing Heated Back Rest

I have a 2000 LT I bought in November of 2005, that did not originally have heated seats or a heated back rest. Since then I have acquired a heated rider and pillon seat, and recently I bought a heated back rest off the net. All of them are used. I have got them hooked up without a problem. What I can't figure out, and am hoping someone can tell me how to hook the back rest up? There is a plug on the back rest, but I can't figure out where it plugs in. Does it require plicing into existing wiring?? Any help would be appreciated. I am very non mechanical, but I am trying to learn. The more I read here, the more I think I am going to have to be. I love riding the bike, but the repair part of it has me concerned. Thanks. Jrlakin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:03 pm

The plug for the backrest is behind the left rear speaker cover - you take it off from inside the trunk - about 10 screws or so - piece of cake. I think the 99's were the only ones that did not come with the plug pre-installed. When you put the cover back on give it some presssure while installing the screws, since they are turning in plastic it is real easy to strip them if you don't "seat it" and use the same threads that were cut by the screws when the factory installed it.

The passenger trunk rest will cycle on and off all by itself - I think it reaches a max of 150F, then shuts off, then turns on again. The rear seat switch turns it on.

Don't worry about the mechanical stuff - with the collective wisdom of this group I can safely say we know more about this scooter than just about anyone - and that includes your friendly local neighborhood Certified Master BMW tech!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks much. I will look for it tonight. This is great site, and I have learned so much in the few weeks I have been coming here. My closest dealer is 100 miles away. jrlakin

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 1:30 pm

You are welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again

Just wanted to let you know the plug in was exactly where you said it would be--but I know you knew that. It took me about 15 minutes to hook it up. Funny, when I asked the tech at the Dealership, he wasn't sure how it hooked in. Perhaps he didn't know what year mine was!! Again, many thanks. I am sure I will be asking many more questions here in the near future. jrlakin
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 6:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
Just wanted to let you know the plug in was exactly where you said it would be--but I know you knew that. It took me about 15 minutes to hook it up. Funny, when I asked the tech at the Dealership, he wasn't sure how it hooked in. Perhaps he didn't know what year mine was!! Again, many thanks. I am sure I will be asking many more questions here in the near future. jrlakin
That's pretty funny! There's a lot of good BMW techs out there, and if you find one they are worth their weight in gold. In Tucson, we're really fortunate: two of the techs at our dealership own LT's, one has been a friend of mine for over 20 years.

When you have the time that "Technical" button up in the right corner is great reading. Enjoy your "new" scoot and stop back any time!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in