anxious abought the weight and size - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

anxious abought the weight and size

Ok, Iím new here and not sure if this is the forum or the k1200 lt. Maybe both. Here is my concern. I started riding oh around 5 years ago on a Honda cx 500. Liked the fact that they were different than anything else. Moved up to a Honda spirit 750 2003 and loved the low center of gravity and easy way it rides, put over 12,000 miles on it the first year. This was my divorce therapy machine, and it was great for that, somehow riding a bike takes enough concentration that the days problems just melt away.

Fast forward to today, I am with a lovely lady that wants to ride with me. I have not ridden for a couple years, had to sell the spirit due to one of lifeís curves. I love the LT, thought about the rt as it actually has a bit more carrying capacity according to specs but the LT just looks like the ultimate two up machine. Like many here I just do not care for the Goldwin looks, especially the pre-1800 models that I could afford. I have not found an LT I didn't love in the 1200 models.

Ok, long intro, sorry, question, 500 and some odd pond cruiser, LT over 800 pounds and reportedly a bit top heavy in parking lots. Add to that 500 lbs. of rider and gear, ok maybe a bit more, and Iím more than a bit intimidated. What do you think? Suggestions and comments appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 6:46 pm

Smile Try it

I was concered about the size of the bike also. This site almost scared me off. Best thing to do is go to a dealer and test ride it! It is top heavy but with the proper respect she'll treat you right. Try it on for size.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 6:47 pm

I'm still not quite clear on what, exactly, you're asking.

But, I take my LT, load it with tools, parts, computers, printers and who knows what else (recent run 'cross the scales showed me just this side of 1200lbs total). I ride the ol gal daily in city traffic, parking, turning, stop'ngo, Interstate, alley and whatever I wanna, like it's normal.

It *is* normal!

What was your question?

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #4 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:06 pm

Not sure anyone can answer that question for you, and not sure a test ride can answer it because you won't get comfortable in that short of period and may decide in the negative when it really isn't the case. I didn't like my test ride that much, but my wife loved it, so with a little practice, I learned to ride it and have grown to really like the bike. Big bikes take a little getting used to and the taller you are the easier it is to feel comfortable on them, but there are plenty of vertically challenged folk who enjoy the LT. If you are going to ride 2 up and want comfort, there are only two choices, the LT or GW.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #5 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:51 pm
fas

Cool LT Weight

I rode my LT for over four years. Great ride. I'm only 5'8". Loved it. Got the GT a few weeks ago and love it even more. Lighter, faster, more nimble...

I commute in city traffic daily. The new GT is better at fighting the city challenges, like gawkers, walkers, cell phone idiots drifting into my lane.....

Don't be afraid of the LT. But, try the GT too. SO says she prefers the ride of the GT over the LT. Fits her hips better and she likes being closer to me like our older bikes. She has been hanging on the back of my bikes since 1971. The GT is her fav of all. My dealer is Sills here in Cleveland. They let me take the GT out for two VERY long test rides, one alone, then one with SO that was over three hours.

I got the top case for the GT and I love how I can take the cases into the hotel or the house with zero effort.

The power to weight ratio with the GT is my real take home message. Don't buy it if you are not ready for THROTTLE response. Engine braking is also an issue with the 13-1 compression ratio. GT is much more fun for me, but I'm a nut for speed.

When I bought my LT I rode over 500 miles before I let SO on the bike. I wanted to be certain I had a feel for the high CG LT. Holding up the 800# +people+gear is easy, until you hit off camber pavement, gravel, sand, wet leaves under foot. Be real careful about touchdown.

Good luck with your search! Don't let the cell phone idiots kill you......

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #6 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:00 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Like stated by the other post only you can decide if the LT is right for you. I bought mine in April of 2005 it is a 2000 modal I never rode it before I bought it.I left the dealership around 3:00 in the afternoon on one of the busiest streets in Austin(was just a lil bit scared) went home put my wife on the back and put around 300 miles on her right away ( the bike not the wife) I have no regrets getting the Lt. i ride her like a sportbike now

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:12 pm

I too would suggest you test ride the LT, GT and GW unless you really want a BMW then skip the GW. I had a 97 GL1500SE before the 2005 LT. My wife prefers the GW for comfort. I thought even my 97 GW was easier to handle at slow speeds. I ridden the GL1800 about 500 miles and found it to much easier to handle at low speeds then either the 97 GW or my 05 LT. Some feel the LT is a better handling machine especially when riding it in a "spirited" fashion - maybe for some but I'm certain I can ride with any of them on a GL1800 without problem.
Find a dealer that will let you take both the LT and GT out back-to-back with your significant other. I mean 50 to 100 miles on both secondary roads and highway. I found the LT to be more comfortable but the GT definately hauls butt!
One more suggestion, if you are vertically challenged and are on the balls of you feet or tippy toes, have 5/8's to 3/4's" lifts fitted to your riding boots. You won't believe the difference and the increase is confidence.
Good luck in your search,
Lee
post #8 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:14 pm

I know what you mean. I had a 2004 R1150RT before I bought the LT. Like you, I was anxious about the additional weight -- about 200lbs more than my RT. Well, 2500 miles later on the LT and I'm still looking for those additional 200lbs! The LT actually feels lighter than the RT, especially with the SO aboard. Don't really know why. Don't really care.
post #9 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the support, I had not thought about the gt version, Will look at that now. As for gw, ok it is the idea of finally owning a BMW. Got a pretty good dealer in Iowa City that has put up witn me drewling on her bikes for some time. I know she will let me ride both. thanks.
post #10 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarider
thanks for the support, I had not thought about the gt version, Will look at that now. As for gw, ok it is the idea of finally owning a BMW. Got a pretty good dealer in Iowa City that has put up witn me drewling on her bikes for some time. I know she will let me ride both. thanks.
I agree -- try both the lT and the GT. One additional thing to keep in mind: pulling a trailer allows you to take 200+ lbs of high-loaded weight off the bike when touring, not to mention giving you car-trunk-sized storage volume. Trailering is not for everyone, but two-up with my son with most of the gear behind us in the Bushtec makes for a *much* more enjoyable trip!

p.s. FWIW, I'm 5'7", 30" inseam. Just started riding my 4th LT

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
When I bought my LT I rode over 500 miles before I let SO on the bike. I wanted to be certain I had a feel for the high CG LT.
Iowarider,

I did the same thing, however, unlike you, I had no street experience before landing on an LT 2-1/2 months ago. Some thought I was crazy going from dirt bike experience many years ago to an 850 lb. beast, but once I overcame the natural fear of handling such a heavy ride and hit the "zone" following a few weeks of constant practice, the bike now feels cozy as ever and I ride with my wife with all the confidence I (we) need. I'm not intimidated by the weight or high CG anymore, but I respect it and remain careful.

There are lots of great threads on this forum with tips on riding at slower speeds that helped me immensely...things like not easing to a gradual stop at 3, 2, 1 mph, but rather getting the thing to a manageable speed and STOPPING it - always with the front tire pointed straight - and she'll sit vertical with plenty of time to comfortably drop a foot (or two, depending on your riding style). I find that managing the bike at slow speeds, u-turns, etc. is best accomplished by keeping the rpm's up around 2K-2,500 and controlling my speed with the rear brake. Works very well for me. I (and my wife) love our LT.

Anyway, best of luck to you in your decision. You'll get plenty of endorsements from those in both the GT and LT camps, though many of the LT owners or former owners now with GT's seem to really prefer its lower CG and weight to the LT and many have commented that their SO's find it a very comfortable ride as well, some preferring it over the LT. Test rides of both bikes will speak to your soul on the matter and you'll know which is best for you and your SO.

Enjoy this forum. I've found it to be a wonderful place to hang out.

Bob Darkey
post #12 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:33 pm

Slow Speed Handling

Iowarider (take a minute to fill out your profile so we know who you are),

You may enjoy this thread. It's fairly long (6 pages) but I think it's a great discussion...see if you can grab a couple of nuggets from it.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...speed+handling

Bob Darkey
post #13 of 26 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:40 pm

Iowarider,

It seems the taller you are the less problems you'll have with the bike. It's usually those who are short in stature, and can't flat-foot, that report some difficulty with the bike. I'm 6'4" and can flat-foot with a good knee-bend and I have no problems with the bikes weight and high center of gravity. That doesn't mean that you won't drop it. I've dropped mine twice. It's just about guaranteed!

post #14 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:23 am

I see you have already received lots of encouragement. It really doesn't take long to get used to the size. You'll love the LT on the road almost immediately, slow speed takes a little getting used to but it's not as hard as some of the posts on this site make it sound. If you don't mind spending a few bucks order a copy of 'Ride Like a Pro IV' from www.ridelikeapro.com . It covers low speed handling for big bikes. There are a lot of fun techniques to practice.
post #15 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 8:06 am

To add to the others, a test ride may be intimiidating, but as you become comfortable with the bulk of the LT, it gets easier. To do slow speed stuff, I find that using the tried and true MSF techniuqes for counterweighting to work perfectly for me. I'm still getting used to stopping this one as opposed to my old vstrom, but I'm getting there. I've had an easier time getting the slow speed stuff. It's a different animal than what you are used to, but any new bike is going to be. And it does seem to be the Ultimate Riding Machine.

Good luck with your choices.
Rando
post #16 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 8:17 am

Quote:
Just want to throw in my 2 cents for Gina's - it's a great place and everyone that I've talked to there has been very helpful. I got mine there just over three weeks ago (worked with Woody to get the test ride and papers signed) and have been loving every minute riding it!

If you live in the IC area, send me a PM and, after you get your LT (c'mon, you know you will ) we can do some riding!

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #17 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 9:23 am

I have an '05 and found this to be less top heavy than previous LT and my RT that I rode for years. If your looking for true two up tourer your going to have to deal with weight issues. I tested the GoldWing 1800 and found that it was not as top heavy but the weight was more difficult to handle than the LT. The GW center of gavity appears to lower and I found that I had to balance it with my knees instead of my theighs like on the LT. Im sure you get used to it in either case. I havent really had a problem with two up on the LT.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #18 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 9:52 am

Quote:
500 and some odd pond cruiser, LT over 800 pounds and reportedly a bit top heavy in parking lots. Add to that 500 lbs. of rider and gear, ok maybe a bit more, and I’m more than a bit intimidated. What do you think?
Don't let any of that "size matters" material get in your way. Just do the test ride at your local dealer. You've got 750cc experience, you know your way around a corner or two, just enjoy the ride. Then you can load it up with 500 lbs of gear, SO, and whatever farkle your little heart desires... and she will still feel like the ultimate street machine.

If you buy new and once you get the 600 mile "shine" rubbed off her, keep the RPM's in a higher range (4k to 6k)... you'll find that she sings to you!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #19 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 9:54 am

Quote:

If it is a Beemer you want, have you tried looking for a used (they don't make them anymore) R1200 CLC they are lower and a couple hundred pounds lighter

http://www.motorcycleandbiker.com/classifieds/ad8567

Not that I'm suggesting this particular one, just a fair picture.
post #20 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:37 am

No Problems

The LT is heavy and tall.....until the wheels start to turn. The amazing things to me is how the LT feels very nimble and lite for its's size once the wheels start to turn. Be careful when stopping to make sure your have the front wheel straight and be careful when you are picking a spot to put the side stand down. If you do that you probably will never have any problems. It's a GREAT machine!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Andrews
Woodland, MN
2003 K1200 LTE
2014 Honda NC700X DCT
2010 Aspen Classic Pop Up Camper
post #21 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the good words about Gina's, I tell you what, hers is so much more of a professional look and ran business compared to the honda dealers I have worked with. I have talked with woody, good guy, not a typical pushy salesman at all. Afraid it may be toward spring before I can save the money, but, you can bet I'll contact you when it happens.
post #22 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the tip, I will take your advice and get the book, as well as follow up on threads pointed out by others on the forum.
post #23 of 26 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK75RT
The LT is heavy and tall.....until the wheels start to turn. The amazing things to me is how the LT feels very nimble and lite for its's size once the wheels start to turn. Be careful when stopping to make sure your have the front wheel straight and be careful when you are picking a spot to put the side stand down. If you do that you probably will never have any problems. It's a GREAT machine!!!!!!!!!!
I hear that, I started riding on a honda 500 cx, had not ridden it to far when I went to my local dealer, got off the bike and heard the thing fall over The owner of the place came around the corner of the building just in time to see me going" what the heck caused that" he was good and didn't laugh when I realised I had forgotten to but the side stand down He did grin knowingly though.
post #24 of 26 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 7:47 am

Quote:
thanks for the good words about Gina's, I tell you what, hers is so much more of a professional look and ran business compared to the honda dealers I have worked with. I have talked with woody, good guy, not a typical pushy salesman at all. Afraid it may be toward spring before I can save the money, but, you can bet I'll contact you when it happens.
Cool.

You're from Perry, eh? The wife and I were there a couple weeks ago celebrating our anniversary (stayed at the best hotel that I've ever been to - for the second time).

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #25 of 26 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 7:44 pm

Excuse me, but I may have been wrong about the CL not being available new,, I was just at the BMW web site and it is still listed there.. but they are considered an 04 model??

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200cl
post #26 of 26 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

isn't that an amazing hotel. The hotel patti. refurbished and decorated in the arts and crafts style, with themed rooms that everyone enjoys. In a previous job I spent conferences in some pretty high end hotels including the Ritz caralton on Washington DC. Amazing as it sounds, and of course in my unbiased opinion , The hotel patti is right their with them all. both comfort, and hotel staff.

AND, its in the middle of an iowa town of what, maybe 5,000? Nothing even close to a reason for being escept the remains of the railroad the originated it, and now Des Moines being 1/2 hour away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in