• 1 Post By CharlieVT
  • 1 Post By Tbird
  • 1 Post By XMagnaRider
  • 1 Post By Skypilot
  • 1 Post By want2tour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:51 am Thread Starter

What's up with BMW riders and waving

Went for a short ride this morning and passed about 2 dozen Harleys. Now all of these HD riders waved, even a group of real bikers. I finally see another BMW(an RT) and I wave. The guy just looks over and keeps riding. Now I realize I am wearing my HD jacket and half helmet, but Jeez. Talk about stuck up. I see where people get the idea BMW riders are aloof. Rant Over.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:54 am

Don't take it personal, he may have been going up or down through that 6 speed gearbox.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #3 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_COOP
Don't take it personal, he may have been going up or down through that 6 speed gearbox.
I could buy that, but this is I-70 in Kansas. Theres only 4 curves between Hays and the Colorado border. And they are more a change of direction than curves.Maybe it's an RT thing. I remember an LT passing me in my pickup before I had bought one. I was checking out the bike and he looked over and smiled and waved.

post #4 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Interesting, what with all the Sturgis traffic 'bout - I've been noticing the opposite effect.

Waving to 'em from a Beemer, very few HDers return the gesture.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 2:41 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Must be a Kansas thang. Here in central Texas everybody waves. I even wave at two wheeler from my cage and I get a wave back

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Must be a Kansas thang. Here in central Texas everybody waves. I even wave at two wheeler from my cage and I get a wave back
Heck, yeah - me and ole Toad even git waves from the cagers. We really like them rancher's waves - one hand on the peekup truck steering wheel and throw the index finger up. Sometimes, they wait 'til the last macro-second and I don't git a chance to respond; so after we've separated a leetle distance, I just raise my arm and give 'em the high sign as recognition that I saw 'em - and most of the time, I can see 'em waitin' in anticipation that they didn't waste a wave!!!
NeedForFieros likes this.
post #7 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Could be. He was coming from the west. Probably so bored he was zoned out and didn't even see me. Western Kansas can do that to ya. Once I zoned out and when I woke up I was laying next to a woman.... wait that was passed out.

post #8 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Wink Why I don't wave

Some times I don't wave because:
I am busy shifting.
Going too fast.
Going around a corner and it just doesn't seem like the right time (In Europe I have seen riders take a foot off the peg as a wave so as to keep both hands on the bars. Over here folks just don't get it).
Some times I don't wave because the guy is on a V-twin, with straight pipes, and Nazi kinda looking helmet, and is giving me the finger; then I don't always wave back.
And sometimes I don't wave just to make the other guy wonder what kind of snob I am that I didn't wave.
patrick2000 likes this.
post #9 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Most bikers either wave or return a wave. They may have been returning from Sturgis and were justed waved out. Might have been day dreaming, talking on cell phone, playing with I-pod, CD, radio or GPS.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #10 of 43 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Round here in El Paso...I'm getting stuck up and prejudiced myself.

I'll throw a wave out at most any rider I see...but I quit waving at crotch rockets...cause those squidlies are pissing off so many people...including me. We got a couple of bike clubs out here that seem to require that the members be A-holes on the roads. Doing wheelies and stoppies in traffic...passing on the shoulders or between lanes at 100+ mph...and playing cat and mouse with the law. It ain't right...but I actually cheer each time one of them gets their due...if you know what I mean (it happens regularly).

Of course, because of them half the city thinks I'm one of the bad guys...and the other half thinks I'm gonna kill myself.
patrick2000 likes this.

post #11 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 1:56 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Nah, it's probably an RT/LT thing. Those Boxer guys just don't get the Flying Brick.

I usually wave, but sometimes I'm busy riding, or just not paying detailed attention to oncoming traffic (unless they're aiming for me). If I wave or not, or if they respond or not, it's all cool.

I was coming out of the mountains today heading towards the Interstate and home, and had waved and gotten a response from a Sportster rider parked in a small town. A few miles later I was stopped at one of those temporary construction one-lane red lights, when the guy pulled up right next to me and started chatting. After I paused the iPod , looked up from the GPS, and flipped my helmet up, he was saying "nice day for a ride, where did you come from, etc." We had a brief but pleasant conversation before the line of cars ahead started to move. Suddenly I had a buddy riding shotgun, which was OK by me.

At the first passing zone, I wicked it up and passed 3 cars, then a short while later another passing zone clicked off the next four giving me a clear lane ahead, so I set the cruise and put my feet up. I watched in my mirrors as he worked his way through the cars and pulled up just behind me again. Then we came to several long, smooth 45-mph sweepers (the kind the LT just loves), so I left the cruise at 75 and swept on through, noticing his headlight getting fainter with each curve. I hoped he wasn't riding above his head just to keep up, but we each gotta be responsible for our own rides.

I didn't see him again until many miles later, after I had pulled off and refueled. I hope it wasn't considered rude (we'd had a pleasant chat), but I just couldn't see waiting up for some guy whose name I didn't even know. We had our cool biker buddy moment, then I was back in transit mode and focused on nothing but the road (and the iPod, GPS, etc. ).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:26 am

FWIW, I seldom wave on an interstate. It's too easy to get complacent about the ride on an interstate - and in reality it IS the safest place to ride. But at 70+ mph, too much real estate goes by too quickly to allow any distraction to affect your ride. I'm constantly scanning - anywhere from '12 second ahead' distance to my rear view mirrors. About the only attention I pay to oncoming traffic is during my usual scan toward the median - but usually I'm more concerned about varmints coming out from the bushes than I am about an oncoming vehicle crossing the median....though I'd see it anyways as part of my normal scanning process.

If I happen to catch a glimpse of a motorcyclist's wave at me, I'll try to catch it in time to wave back. But frankly, I'm more concerned about paying attention to those things that are the most immediate threat to my 'space'. If a return wave isn't in the cards - then so be it. It doesn't make me aloof - nor did it make me aloof when I was riding a Honda. It just makes me the type who takes my own responsibility to my safety very seriously. In the half-second or so that I devote to paying attention to an oncoming rider just for the purpose of a wave, a 500 lbs deer could suddenly appear directly in my path. It's a half-second of reaction time I'm unwilling to sacrifice.
post #13 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:31 am

Angry waving and Harleys

Here in the Pacific Northwest I find most of the time all bikers wave with an excpetion; If it's one or two Harley's they wave but in groups larger than two none of them will wave. Bunch of want-to-be Harley types. Most of them have new bikes, new leathers and are somewhat dangerous on the highway. Sometimes it ticks me off.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #14 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler921
Went for a short ride this morning and passed about 2 dozen Harleys. Now all of these HD riders waved, even a group of real bikers. I finally see another BMW(an RT) and I wave. The guy just looks over and keeps riding. Now I realize I am wearing my HD jacket and half helmet, but Jeez. Talk about stuck up. I see where people get the idea BMW riders are aloof. Rant Over.
Please don't take it personally and I really doubt the generalization applies, it might just be possible that the rider was busy, distracted, or just bored and zoned out. In the short time I've been a BMW owner, I've never gotten a letter from BMW or MOA telling me to not waive. In going to our local BMW rider club, we've had lots of speakers on a variety of subjects, but we've never had a single discussion on who not to waive to. There are some cultural norms in riding a BMW, but I really don't think "not waiving" is one of them - at least in my personal limited experience. I waive all the time to just about anybody doing anything, except for the following times:
- I'm stopped at a light with the clutch and brake engaged
- I'm pulling away from a light and have the clutch and throttle engaged
- I'm changing lanes and trying to size up the traffic around me
- I'm watching some yahoo thinking about making a left in front of me and looking for escape routes
- I'm watching some numbnuts thinking about pulling out in front of me and looking for escape routes
- There are about 8 lanes of traffic between us
- There's a 100 yard median between us with multiple lanes as well
- There's a 6 foot high concrete barrier between us
- I've zoned out and wasn't really paying that much attention to the on-coming traffic (yes I know, this should never happen, but it does)
- I've seen a cop and am busy trying to slow down
- I see a pothole/bump/object ahead and am planning/executing my maneuver around it
- I was looking at my instrument panel at that very moment
- I was looking at the scenery behind you and that captured my attention
- The sun was in my eyes
- I'm into a corner hotter than I feel comfortable making sure your day is all peachy

Ah, who knows, there are many more times when I didn't waive and I'm sorry if I passed you during one of them and now you think BMW riders are stuck up.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #15 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:32 am

They're Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird
Round here in El Paso...I'm getting stuck up and prejudiced myself.

I'll throw a wave out at most any rider I see...but I quit waving at crotch rockets...cause those squidlies are pissing off so many people...including me. We got a couple of bike clubs out here that seem to require that the members be A-holes on the roads. Doing wheelies and stoppies in traffic...passing on the shoulders or between lanes at 100+ mph...and playing cat and mouse with the law. It ain't right...but I actually cheer each time one of them gets their due...if you know what I mean (it happens regularly).

Of course, because of them half the city thinks I'm one of the bad guys...and the other half thinks I'm gonna kill myself.
Reading your post it seems as if you could be talking about our bikers "down the road", but as I live in South Africa - I don't think so! This biker "bad boy" attitude seems to be a world wide phenomenon. Just put it down to the 20 year old and up age group. (we were also young once) But when these guys are our age doing this stuff, one tend to wonder why? Image? Anyway, I guess it's safe to call them a bunch of wankers and leave them to kill themselves off.

We had one who thought he could outrun the cops clocked at 302kph (180)mph? on the freeway. They set up a road block for him. Arrested, bike confiscated, $3000 bail, loss of licence and all reported in all the media. GOOD!!!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #16 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:47 am
was

I wave at all bikers when I notice them in time. Just my way of acknowledging their choice of transportation and a common bond. I used to get annoyed if I did not receive a wave in return, but then I started counting the number of times that someone waved at me and I didn't react to it before he/she had passed me and it was too late. If someone does not want to acknowledge me, no harm no foul, his/her choice. I'm not gonna allow it to affect my choice.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #17 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 3:53 pm

I've noticed that you will always get waved at in miserable conditions. Never ending, bone chilling rain with a strong, gusting crosswind works. I think it's because the poseurs won't ride in these conditions.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #18 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 5:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOMark
FWIW, I seldom wave on an interstate. It's too easy to get complacent about the ride on an interstate - and in reality it IS the safest place to ride. But at 70+ mph, too much real estate goes by too quickly to allow any distraction to affect your ride. I'm constantly scanning - anywhere from '12 second ahead' distance to my rear view mirrors. About the only attention I pay to oncoming traffic is during my usual scan toward the median - but usually I'm more concerned about varmints coming out from the bushes than I am about an oncoming vehicle crossing the median....though I'd see it anyways as part of my normal scanning process.

If I happen to catch a glimpse of a motorcyclist's wave at me, I'll try to catch it in time to wave back. But frankly, I'm more concerned about paying attention to those things that are the most immediate threat to my 'space'. If a return wave isn't in the cards - then so be it. It doesn't make me aloof - nor did it make me aloof when I was riding a Honda. It just makes me the type who takes my own responsibility to my safety very seriously. In the half-second or so that I devote to paying attention to an oncoming rider just for the purpose of a wave, a 500 lbs deer could suddenly appear directly in my path. It's a half-second of reaction time I'm unwilling to sacrifice.

I totally agree with NEOMark but don't have too many deer attempting to cross I-5 in the Seattle area. I love to wave when able (when I have a nice space buffer all around me and my carpool lane is pretty open and all traffic is going about the same speed). I find everyone for the most part is waving back no matter what bike they are on. Just the other day I was north bound and a guy heading southbound and about 5 lanes away from me practically stood up and waved to me. I had to laugh at that one.
post #19 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 6:02 pm

you can't make a blanket statement about all beemer riders. they are not ALL snobs. i've met some super-friendly folk. but i've also been snubbed by more BMW riders than any other brand ... especially before i bought one.

now i know the secret handshake.
post #20 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:01 pm
fas

Cool to wave or not to wave?

Quote:
SO and I wave at ALL two wheelers. If they don't wave back, that's their problem. Most folks wave or at least nod. I also wave at HD folks I'm passin' as I blast past them with my cruise set on 80 or 90..... It's hard to hear my iPod with those darn HD's blattin' along.......

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #21 of 43 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
now i know the secret handshake.
There's a 'secret' handshake?!?!?!?!?

post #22 of 43 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 3:02 pm

Quote:
some riders aren't confident enough to take a hand off of a handle bar to wave. there are a lot of h-d riders like that and i guess some bmw riders as well as others. omurphy
post #23 of 43 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOMark
There's a 'secret' handshake?!?!?!?!?

yes ... it involves keeping a tight grip on your wallet with your left hand while shaking the hand of your local stealer ....errrrr, dealer .... with your right.
post #24 of 43 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
yes ... it involves keeping a tight grip on your wallet with your left hand while shaking the hand of your local stealer ....errrrr, dealer .... with your right.
I'm not sure how secret that is. I learned that one first as a Harley rider but was reminded of it again the first time I went to the BMW shop.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #25 of 43 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:57 am

Quote:
Just put it down to the 20 year old and up age group. (we were also young once) But when these guys are our age doing this stuff, one tend to wonder why? Image? Anyway, I guess it's safe to call them a bunch of wankers and leave them to kill themselves off.
Yeah, I gotta admit I was young and dumb once myself. Doesn't mean I can't (from my lofty perch as a now mature, safer rider) point a finger and go "what a dumbass" at some squid. I figure I've earned it having survived my own bulletproof stage. It used to be I didn't wave at em for that reason, now I wave at all riders regardless. If they don't wave back, what the heck, I don't catch all that wave at me either. It evens out.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #26 of 43 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 9:09 am

Quote:

Sheesh...........

just wait the tables will turn.........

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #27 of 43 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:55 am

Posted in one of the numerous "wave" threads....

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #28 of 43 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:25 pm

[
Ah, who knows, there are many more times when I didn't waive and I'm sorry if I passed you during one of them and now you think BMW riders are stuck up.[/QUOTE]

I waive the need to wave. But will if I wont

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #29 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2015, 9:54 am

Re: What's up with BMW riders and waving

hhhmmmmmm... this is an interesting topic. I ride my gigantic '02 LT and I wave at everyone (even scooters sometimes by mistake) and generally, folks wave back. That's not just a bike thing, but a 'Southern' thing. Most folks wave to each other down here just because. I ride every day, so I see a LOT of other bikes, but mostly fair-weather weekend warriors who do not really 'get it'. I cannot really pick out any specific groups who diss me on a wave. There is a hard core biker bar just north of my town, so I see a lot of them, and they all wave. There are only a few BMW riders around, and they always wave, and if we happen to stop at a light together, we have a brief mutual love fest over how much we LOVE BMWs. The kids on sport bikes are kinda 50/50 on the waves. I don' usually wave on the highway just because I am focusing on what is around me and besides, the other lane is like a mile away.

The Halster

post #30 of 43 Old Jul 14th, 2015, 7:42 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

WOW!! Nine year old thread. Good digging.

I usually wave unless I'm busy.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #31 of 43 Old Jul 15th, 2015, 12:13 pm

BMW riders have exclusive information ...

If the front forks are polished or chrome, it's not a BMW.

So ... advance information on whether should wave.

And, I'm mildly annoyed at CanAm advertising that implies motorcyclists would wave at 3-wheelers.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #32 of 43 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 9:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

As long as conditions are safe, I wave at everyone who is motorized with handlebars. I don't care what they ride. Sometimes they wave back. Sometimes they don't.

It is not a snub if they don't wave back. Sometimes they are focused on the road. Sometimes they don't see your wave (or see it too late). Sometimes they are distracted with other issues. I suppose they might be snubbing me, but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sometimes people wave at me, but I cannot wave back for safety reasons, or because I am busy with something else, or because I did not see the wave in time.
JNW003 likes this.
post #33 of 43 Old Jul 20th, 2015, 1:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I even wave at scooter riders if they are wearing riding gear...
I am funny that way!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #34 of 43 Old Jul 20th, 2015, 6:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't wave to people only wearing flip flops, shorts, t-shirts, and faux helmets...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #35 of 43 Old Aug 13th, 2015, 10:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

In the Harley forums they have oil threads, here in the BMW forum we have wave threads

Next up, best place to get a cappuccino thread . . .

IBA # 41940

2015 R1200 RT San Marino Blue
2002 Road King Classic - Traded
1971 Honda SL 125 - sold
1970 Honda CB 100 - sold
1969 Sears Mini-Bike- Gone. Never forgotten
post #36 of 43 Old Aug 14th, 2015, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtn View Post
In the Harley forums they have oil threads, here in the BMW forum we have wave threads

Next up, best place to get a cappuccino thread . . .
That would be in the Ducati forums.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #37 of 43 Old Aug 14th, 2015, 10:32 am

Garage

For what it's worth, I always try to wave unless unsafe to do so. I have to admit, when I'm stuck behind Harleys on the twisties I love it when I have a chance to blast past them and give them a nice little wave.
BobbyB26 likes this.

Rev Ed
2015 R1200RT "Ebony" (Black Cherry)
2007 R1200RT (replaced aging FJR 1300)
2005 Crossfire Roadster
post #38 of 43 Old Aug 16th, 2015, 5:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot View Post
I have to admit, when I'm stuck behind Harleys on the twisties I love it when I have a chance to blast past them and give them a nice little wave.
Yes, but do you use all fingers?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #39 of 43 Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot View Post
For what it's worth, I always try to wave unless unsafe to do so. I have to admit, when I'm stuck behind Harleys on the twisties I love it when I have a chance to blast past them and give them a nice little wave.
Apropos of nothing but Harleys and twisties: I was at an overlook next to Lake Fontana (Tail of the Dragon general area) early one morning when a fat guy on a Harley came roaring through the curve, shooting a most impressive trail of sparks . . . on and on and on. . . . and then it dawned on me he was dragging a boot heel with a tap on it.

Spark on, Harley -- spark on.
post #40 of 43 Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 5:11 pm

Re: waving and Harleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor View Post
Here in the Pacific Northwest I find most of the time all bikers wave with an excpetion; If it's one or two Harley's they wave but in groups larger than two none of them will wave. Bunch of want-to-be Harley types. Most of them have new bikes, new leathers and are somewhat dangerous on the highway. Sometimes it ticks me off.
+1 in Vancouver B.C.
I think Harley riders are generally nice people but you can't blame them for not waving at other bikers because their eyeballs are shaking so bad they have no idea who's approaching unless it's another Harley in which case they can hear them from a mile or two away.

Wayne
"We ought never do wrong when anyone is looking" Mark Twain

post #41 of 43 Old Aug 27th, 2015, 12:51 am

On my meandering ride to this year's Sturgis, practically all other riders waved back. Of course, my strategy was to start waving early, before they knew what I was riding. lol
But really, to be fair, I got waves from all types of riders. The fact that I was riding in a group may have something to do with it.

What was interesting was that when I got close enough to Sturgis,
all waving ceased. In and around the sturgis area, there were reportedly over 90,400 bikes. If you ride among that many bikes, waving has to just about cease. Else you would be riding one-handed most of the time. It becomes impractical.
When I left the area and got over 100 miles from Sturgis, the waving recommenced.
While at Sturgis, I made it a point to not ride in front of the Hell's Angels clubhouse. Figured they'd drag a beemer rider into the club and corrupt him.
zippy_gg likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #42 of 43 Old Aug 28th, 2015, 9:05 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
Yes, but do you use all fingers?
Well, in all honesty the one finger option has been tempting at times; however, being a pastor, what I would LIKE to do and what I choose to do are two different things.

Rev Ed
2015 R1200RT "Ebony" (Black Cherry)
2007 R1200RT (replaced aging FJR 1300)
2005 Crossfire Roadster
post #43 of 43 Old Aug 28th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Driving the twisties, the wife waves.
Straight driving I try to wave.
Any bike on the side of the road, I ask if all is OK.

Hey it's camaraderie!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in