Low end dog. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Low end dog.

I have put 73000 fun filled miles on the ole Canyon Red LT. About a week ago I had a problem appear that I have never encountered before. The bike just doesnt have any get up and go from the light, stop sign, intersection, etc. It has always been well mannered from a standstill. Now at times I wonder if it is going to get going at all. It bogs down badly. I thought perhaps I picked up a bad tank of gas, so I put 2/3 of a tank of fresh fuel in the tank Wednesday and took it for an 80 mile ride. No improvement. I disconnected the battery while I ate dinner to see if the motronic had confused itself. Very minor improvement. My gas mileage has gone in the tank. I was getting 250 miles a tank. Now I am struggling to get 200. The catalytic converter pings mercilessly when I park her now.

I am due to tear into her for her 72000 mile service. I just need some assistance regarding what I should be looking for. I am contemplating a bad plug (24K on the current set), or a bad O2 sensor. Anyone have any other comments or suggestions?

- This bike is stock. No enhanced performance chip, no canisterectomy, OEM parts. Had a clutch replaced about 4000 miles ago. At that time they installed a new rubber injector rail piece and new rubber intake runners.

The bogging can be felt, though not as severe, when running at 4K rpm or so when I twist the throttle. Just not responsive to the pilot inputs at the grip.

Thanks in advance!

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene_Chapman
I have put 73000 fun filled miles on the ole Canyon Red LT. About a week ago I had a problem appear that I have never encountered before. The bike just doesnt have any get up and go from the light, stop sign, intersection, etc. It has always been well mannered from a standstill. Now at times I wonder if it is going to get going at all. It bogs down badly. I thought perhaps I picked up a bad tank of gas, so I put 2/3 of a tank of fresh fuel in the tank Wednesday and took it for an 80 mile ride. No improvement. I disconnected the battery while I ate dinner to see if the motronic had confused itself. Very minor improvement. My gas mileage has gone in the tank. I was getting 250 miles a tank. Now I am struggling to get 200. The catalytic converter pings mercilessly when I park her now.

I am due to tear into her for her 72000 mile service. I just need some assistance regarding what I should be looking for. I am contemplating a bad plug (24K on the current set), or a bad O2 sensor. Anyone have any other comments or suggestions?

- This bike is stock. No enhanced performance chip, no canisterectomy, OEM parts. Had a clutch replaced about 4000 miles ago. At that time they installed a new rubber injector rail piece and new rubber intake runners.

The bogging can be felt, though not as severe, when running at 4K rpm or so when I twist the throttle. Just not responsive to the pilot inputs at the grip.

Thanks in advance!

Gene
My vote is for the O2 sensor, too -- the symptoms all point to over-rich mixture (drop in mileage, cat overheating (burning unburned fuel in the cat), bogging under opening throttle); a dead O2 sensor can result in the Moronic errorneously believing it needs to riched up the mixture. BTW, before you replace the O2 sensor, checks its wiring up as far as you can -- a damaged wire can result in the same symptoms as a failed sensor.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in