One 'COOL' Jacket - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up One 'COOL' Jacket

Sorry folks, I don't have pics; however wise ole 'Patterson' here on the board made his own cooling jacket.

He took the liner from a bike jacket and had about 30 ft. of rubber hose sewed into it, hooked up 2 quick disconnects, ran the hose into a 5 gallon plastic gas can in his trunk, put a pump into it and rigged a power converter up. It pumps chilled water all thru the torso and arms.

He's leaving on a 10-12 day trip soon; I was supposed to ride along, but rotator cuff surgery has me stranded for awhile.

Go Pat!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:01 am

It's a great concept and is in fact commercially available. I've done a lot of film and video productions involving full body costumes (like the Disney characters wondering aroung the park). They wear a cooling suit that connects to an external fluid supply which is chilled by passing through an ice chest.
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 1:34 am

On a long trip in the heat of the day, where you only stop for fuel, I do the following:- Take airflow jacket, soak in water, put on and ride. Stays cool for about 2 hours when you repeat process. Don't worry, you dry out every time. Get some strange looks at filling stations, but hey, rather wet'ncool than hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable. By the way, this fix is real cheap!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 2:01 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
They wear a cooling suit that connects to an external fluid supply which is chilled by passing through an ice chest.
Any of these 12 Vdc compatible? How bulky? I wonder if you could also heat the fluid for winter?

Just thinking out loud again.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Any of these 12 Vdc compatible? How bulky? I wonder if you could also heat the fluid for winter?

Just thinking out loud again.
Heated? hmmmm
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 2:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
This weekend, I went from 50 degrees and overcast near the coast, to well over 90 and dry inland within about 50 miles. I hate having to stop and change gear all the time. I'm thinking a knob on the dash that you just twist up or down as the temps change.

Of course, I also want a carbon fiber bluetooth flip-up helmet with a built-in sun visor. We can dream, right?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 5:29 pm

Cool

Neat idea!
Any cooling vest is a great thing and I don't know how I would have made it without wearing one last year through the Mojave desert, or this year through Texas at 120F.
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 8:15 pm
fas

Talking carbon, blue tooth, sun visor

"Of course, I also want a carbon fiber bluetooth flip-up helmet with a built-in sun visor. We can dream, right? "

They got 'em in the Fatherland.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
They got 'em in the Fatherland.
Not all in one helmet. You can get carbon fiber (BMW) or bluetooth (BMW) or sun visor (Schuberth), but not all in the same helmet.

I did see a mention of a bluetooth upgrade kit for the System V helmet. I wonder if that is available separately, to be fitted on another helmet? Then I could keep my C2, or go with the lighter carbon fiber helmet.

I have to go to the UK sometime in the next month or two. I'll be visiting my old BMW dealer in Cardiff with some questions.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 12 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 8:37 pm

SeaMarshall

It's actually about 63' of hose..............

Isn't it amazing how your post started out about the jacket and deteriorated into "helmets and bluetooth".........you think that some folks just get too much sugar into their systems?

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 2:35 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Nah, we're just taking your experiment to the next level.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #12 of 12 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 7:35 pm

Cool Jacket

On the odd hot day we have I soak my t-shirt under the cold tap and leave my jacket zip half open to catch the wind. I tend to take a fresh t-shirt with me if I'm going somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in