Toll Fees - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Toll Fees

Question - do you guys who ride motorcycles in the US pay the same toll rates as a car? Has there been anything legislated to do away with toll fees for motorcycles going through toll plazas without paying due to the hinderance factor? (you know, stopping in the oil slick, taking off gloves to get the fee or your card out, p'ing off the motorists behind you.

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Same price everywhere I travel. But I have heard rumors that some states have lowered the toll to 1/2 price for bikes.
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 2:28 pm

Southern California has Fastpass and it is 50 cents less than stopping and paying cash. It is the same for 2 or 4 wheels but a trailer is more. They count axles not tires.

Tony 05

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 8:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
Question - do you guys who ride motorcycles in the US pay the same toll rates as a car? Has there been anything legislated to do away with toll fees for motorcycles going through toll plazas without paying due to the hinderance factor? (you know, stopping in the oil slick, taking off gloves to get the fee or your card out, p'ing off the motorists behind you.
Here in NH, the fees are per axle not per tire.
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Same price everywhere I travel. But I have heard rumors that some states have lowered the toll to 1/2 price for bikes.
"That would be profiling, and profiling is wrong." -- Ron White.
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 8:45 am

Highway Tolls

Coming back from Maine to Detroit on the LT and trailer. Maine, Mass. and NY Tollway charged me more money than a car! Sometimes it was the same rate of a delivery straight truck!!

I asked how do they figure the fee, since I the bike and trailer have the same number of wheels as a car. They claimed that the rate is established by the state. I am writing all the states in question to protest. I am asking for a refund of the difference, to equal or less thanthat of a car. The alternative would be- say good bye to my tourist dollars & sales tax.

We will have to await the outcome,

Miles
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 9:17 am

As indicated in other posts Florida sets fees by the number of axles. So, a motorcycle pays the same as a car or light truck. What used to piss me off was getting charged 50% more than a car when I was running the Gold Wing with the side car back and forth to work on the turnpike. Since the side car wheel was not aligned with the bike's rear wheel the imbeded sensors would count 3 axels which added the extra 50% to the fee. That meant that I was being charged the same as a three axel dump truck that probably weighed 30,000 to 40,000 pounds. My solution was to pull up next to the toll taker, pop the trans into neutral, sit in the seat with my arms crossed and say "NO WAY"! During the morning rush hour traffic would start to back up real fast. After a short arugment the toll taker would get on the phone and call the supervisor who would tell her to let me go with the 2 axel rate! After about two weeks of that behavoir they did something to the sensors that allowed me to pass with the 2 axel rate. It's nice to win one occassionally!!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 9:32 am

Parking too

In OK, its per axle.

Slight deviation.

In Downtown OKC, they USED to have free parking spots for Motorcycles.

Last year, they added parking meters to the MC Only spots, the same rate as a full size spot !!

When going to lunch, my buddies and I now squeeze up to 4 bikes in on Normal size space and pay normal car parking.

What were they thinking ?

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
In OK, its per axle.

Slight deviation.

In Downtown OKC, they USED to have free parking spots for Motorcycles.

Last year, they added parking meters to the MC Only spots, the same rate as a full size spot !!

When going to lunch, my buddies and I now squeeze up to 4 bikes in on Normal size space and pay normal car parking.

What were they thinking ?
You just know some day they're gonna ticket you for avoiding parking meter fees. Same as if you parked 2 Mini Coopers in a single parking spot.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
You just know some day they're gonna ticket you for avoiding parking meter fees. Same as if you parked 2 Mini Coopers in a single parking spot.
Probably, but it is pretty common practice around here to park more than one in a car spot. Actually the 5 spots I'm talking about downtown, are the only MC only spots i've seen that are not on private property.

James Ranks
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:51 am

What these 'Tolls' you speak of?

Just kidding - out here in the middle of no-where, it's nice to not have some of the encomberances our more 'civilized' bethern deal with.

"Wyoming is what America was" - until everyone moved in.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #12 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:59 am

Here in Taxachusetts, toll rates are set per axle, so bikes pay the same as cars. I always wondered what they would charge me if I wheelied my way through the booth?
I do use Speedpass (similar to Sunpass, EZ Pass, etc) but there is NO reduced rate for using one, and you have to pay $39 for the transponder to boot! Still, it beats having to stop and fumble for change and your toll ticket.

Parking meters: one of the beaches in the area charges you to park as you enter the lot. Same price for a bike or minivan full of kids. We tried to get them to allow 4 bikes in for the price of a single space - no good. So, one day we organized a "ride" to the beach, early in the morning. Hundreds of bikes showed up. We all paid for parking, and occupied the majority of the parking spaces, one bike per spot. When mommy and daddy started showing up with the kids, there weren't any parking spots available. The local police had the nerve to ask us to put - you guessed it - four bikes in each parking spot to allow room for the families. You can guess what our reponse was! No, the policy wasn't changed. :-(
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:26 pm

Smile Why shouldnt bikes pay

Not going for or against here, but why do we think a bike should pay less to use a toll road? Don't we get the same benefit as a car, i.e. a shorter or faster journey? What should the toll rates be based on, and why?

Discuss.

Brian
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers
Not going for or against here, but why do we think a bike should pay less to use a toll road? Don't we get the same benefit as a car, i.e. a shorter or faster journey? What should the toll rates be based on, and why?

Discuss.

Brian
Because the toll is to pay for the road and road repair. Bikes make less wear and tear due to weight.

Same reason multi axle big trucks pay more.

James Ranks
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
Because the toll is to pay for the road and road repair. Bikes make less wear and tear due to weight.

Same reason multi axle big trucks pay more.
Are you saying it should be based on weight or potential damage to the road surface? It would be interesting to work out the forces inflicted on the road surface based on contact patch, power (or torque), acceleration and braking forces and riding/driving styles. For example a light car towing an empty 4 wheel trailer driven gently (8 wheels, big contact patches, low acceleration and braking forces) against a 'Busa or ZZR1400 giving it some. I wonder which would generate the most destructive forces to the road surface?

Brian
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
In CA, they started putting in private toll roads. Pay the fee to avoid the traffic, and we'll just keep the money. That didn't last too long, as the income didn't justify the initial investments. Now they just take the toll money to pay for things like special elections that fail miserably, or to convince the energy regulators to look the other way.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Are you saying it should be based on weight or potential damage to the road surface? It would be interesting to work out the forces inflicted on the road surface based on contact patch, power (or torque), acceleration and braking forces and riding/driving styles. For example a light car towing an empty 4 wheel trailer driven gently (8 wheels, big contact patches, low acceleration and braking forces) against a 'Busa or ZZR1400 giving it some. I wonder which would generate the most destructive forces to the road surface?

Brian
I agree, it would be interesting. I think the bikes would leave more rubber on the road, but the car/trailer would do more damage because of weight.

(Not a physicist, just seems logical, could be wrong)

James Ranks
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 6:07 am Thread Starter

My point exactly

Quote:

Discuss.

Brian
Whilst the toll road offers better "everything" I'm not saying that we shouldn't pay, only that we should pay less. Think about how bikers are discriminated against at toll plazas. There's a sludge line next to the toll booth that has caused many a rider to slip and fall. Depending on what bike you ride a motorcyclist would need to stop, remove gloves, open pockets to retrieve card or worse - money, pay, put all the gear back on and only then ride away, now with a foot sole full of grease.

Whilst a bike contibutes no wear to the road surface in terms of weight, why should we pay the same as a car? Due to the plaza hassle factor, motorcycles should be given a break.

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in