F%*#@!& imbedded street light sensors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

F%*#@!& imbedded street light sensors

I'm PO'd...

Just got back from a small 80 mile jaunt. Great ride up until I pulled into a seldom used left turn lane. The street sensors never picked up on the fact I was there. Sat thru two full rotations and then left when the opposite lefties made thier turn.

Bang! Cop in a cage nailed me for turning left on red. I tried to plead my case, even offered to prove it to him. No joy...

I am sick and tired of these damn imbedded street sensors that won't trip. I've tried nailing one side of the sensor, cross over right to left, corner to corner, backup and go forward... I've tried all I can think of...

I put this question to you guys! What trips these damn things? Or am I destined to just make right turns for the rest of my llife?

(and I know I will hear all about keeping an eye out on the heat... could kick myself for not noticing him in the parking lot of the AM/PM on the opposite corner...)

[sigh]... I'm better now... just had to vent!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:16 pm

One option is to attach a magnet to the underside of the bike. A company actually markets one called (interestingly enough) "The Green Light Trigger". This tend to generate enough of a field that the loops in the road pick up the smaller vehicles out there, like the LT.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #3 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:20 pm
NM99K12LT

Thumbs up

Yep - http://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html or buy a magnet and attach it under your bike.

post #4 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
One option is to attach a magnet to the underside of the bike. A company actually markets one called (interestingly enough) "The Green Light Trigger". This tend to generate enough of a field that the loops in the road pick up the smaller vehicles out there, like the LT.
I knew it... The pro's on this forum would have an answer...

Thanks guys!!!

Now... does anyone know anybody in the Highway Patrol that can give me a break?

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #5 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
does anyone know anybody in the Highway Patrol that can give me a break?
In New York you have the defense of justification and the judge should dismiss the ticket. Your laws may vary

Alan
post #6 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Quote:
I knew it... The pro's on this forum would have an answer...

Thanks guys!!!

Now... does anyone know anybody in the Highway Patrol that can give me a break?
Two thoughts --

1. Radio Shack carries a pack of 10 high-strength (samarium??) magnets for around (or less than) the Green Light Trigger.

2.. Check your state vehicle code -- most states have a provision that sez if a traffic control device is not functional, you may proceed with due caution, care, etc. Assuming your state has such a provision, you may want to check with the local traffic maintenance dept. and see whether other motorcyclists have complained about that light (i.e., gather evidence to support your case). If nothing else, I'd definitely go to court and ask the judge "well what else could I do??"

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:51 pm

Exclamation Warning!

Don't waste your money on a Green Light Trigger!!! They work. But they are needlessly pricey, especially for what they are. And all that they are is a plastic-coated magnet for about $14. Screw THAT!!!

HERE's a link to a thread in the archived forum. If nothing else, read through my first post.
post #8 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:52 pm
Gold Supporter

Those magnets only work on two kinds of trips, and there are three kinds out there. Around here we have the wrong kind. One thing you can try to do is turn off the bike while you are positioned right over the tar stripe then start it up again. Sometimes the magnetic field from the starter generates enough to trigger the light.

Now, go to court and plead your case. One of the elements of the charge of failure to obey a traffic control devise is "The light was functioning properly"

This light would not cycle for you, so it wasn't functioning properly. When the officer testifies and you get to ask him questions, ask him how many cycles he observed you setting at the red light. If he says more than one he just became your best witness, don't ask him any more questions. If he says he looked up and you were running the light then it will be up to you to convince the judge the light wasn't cycling for you.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #9 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Jerry, Can I have your business card . . . PLEASE?!
post #10 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 5:25 pm

Find a local geek (or come out here for a visit - I've got several dozen here)

Have 'em strip down an old hard drive or three for ya. Pull the magents out. It's dead easy to do - I can strip mags out of an IDE drive in 'bout 7 minutes.

Right now I've got 6 hard drive magnets on my LT's skid plate. No zip ties, no glue - nothing. They're the same 6 I put on there over a year ago (over 10k miles). If I ever loose one (I doubt it), I've got a bunch more ready to go on it.

Cheap, easy and for some lights - they work. It does help, some - not always.

Oh, and when I pull into the garage I pickup some of the old screws an crap I've left on the floor.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #11 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Smile

In California, there is a code on the books that addresses inoperative traffic lights. If you sit through a complete cycle, you can then treat teh light as a 4-way stop. I used to carry it with me, but the judge and cop know the traffic code for this event. You may be able to search the California Vehilce Code and find it or call any court approved driving school and they can tell you the exact code and quite possibly send you a fax copy of the page.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #12 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 6:16 pm

after a couple of cycles i manoeuvre the bike around and put the side stand down right on top of one of the senser wires. works for me.
post #13 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Garage
Quote:
I'm PO'd...

Just got back from a small 80 mile jaunt. Great ride up until I pulled into a seldom used left turn lane. The street sensors never picked up on the fact I was there. Sat thru two full rotations and then left when the opposite lefties made thier turn.

Bang! Cop in a cage nailed me for turning left on red. I tried to plead my case, even offered to prove it to him. No joy...

I am sick and tired of these damn imbedded street sensors that won't trip. I've tried nailing one side of the sensor, cross over right to left, corner to corner, backup and go forward... I've tried all I can think of...

I put this question to you guys! What trips these damn things? Or am I destined to just make right turns for the rest of my llife?

(and I know I will hear all about keeping an eye out on the heat... could kick myself for not noticing him in the parking lot of the AM/PM on the opposite corner...)

I done a little research on this a some years back and the following is what I came up with. This applies to Oregon, but I'm not sure if it is universal.
Hope it helps,

Patrick Fitzharris

Be seen by traffic sensors

Many riders are often frustrated by traffic light sensors that fail to detect the presence of a motorcycle. TEAM OREGON instructor Patrick Fitzharris recently contacted Mark Rodgers, the manager of the Traffic Signal Services Unit of ODOT. Rodgers offered some insight into how vehicle sensors work and how riders can help themselves be more "sensor visible." Here is an excerpt of Rodger's response:

As a fellow motorcyclist, I understand the frustration of not getting detected by the traffic signal when I am riding my bike. Please allow me this short lesson to show how a traffic signal senses motor vehicles. Hopefully you can better exploit the sensors by understanding how they work.

A vehicle sensor, typically referred to as a "loop", is simply a coil of
wire embedded into the road surface. An electronic module in the traffic signal control cabinet sends a signal to the loop, which causes it to behave as a metal detector. Any mass of metal that passes over the loop causes a shift in the electrical signal. When the shift is great enough, the module tells the computer that a vehicle is present. The key point here is that the mass of metal must be large enough to overcome a threshold, or minimum metal mass. All metal objects greater than the threshold will be detected.

One other factor of the loop is called geometry. Oregon uses one of two loop configurations, a round loop and a diamond shaped loop. Invisible lines of magnetic force form at right angles to the wire. Maximum sensitivity results from metal masses moving perpendicular to the lines of force, so that as many lines are cut through as possible. In either type of loop, this zone lies about halfway between the center line of the loop and the left or right edge of the loop. If you stop over a loop, I recommend that you place your bike so that the lowest part of the frame is directly over the wire. Do not stop in the middle of the loop, as there is a dead zone inthe middle.
post #14 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 6:52 pm

California Vehicle Code 21800(d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is safe to do so. This subparagraph shall apply to traffic control signals that become inoperative because of battery failure.

Depending on how close the judge sticks to the last sentence you may or may not get off.

Glenn BTW
California Delta Country
05 LT, ocean blue ( the replacement player)
05 LT, dark graphite (motorcycle heaven)

1100RT-P in a previous life
post #15 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Just gotta do it!

Maybe a cop car chasing a bike turning left through a red light may trip it to green..

the devil made me do it!!!

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #16 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 7:41 pm

I get a kick out of things people do sometimes. Just a dumb question?? Why not make a turn on right and then make a u-turn??? Would've avoided this post and a ticket.

I understand what you are saying, save your money, I ride 24/7 and all that crap you can buy do not buy it. There is no way to match up the metal of a car which the lights are made for. Just remember what lights give you the trouble and a avoid them.

I would've made the right turn and the u-turn. A lot safer then to go cross on the red. My 2 cent worth.
post #17 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 9:37 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
I get a kick out of things people do sometimes. Just a dumb question?? Why not make a turn on right and then make a u-turn??? Would've avoided this post and a ticket.

I understand what you are saying, save your money, I ride 24/7 and all that crap you can buy do not buy it. There is no way to match up the metal of a car which the lights are made for. Just remember what lights give you the trouble and a avoid them.

I would've made the right turn and the u-turn. A lot safer then to go cross on the red. My 2 cent worth.
Just for the sake of discussion. You are in the left hand turn lane and find that it is not tripping for whatever reason. Instead of making a left turn against the red, you turn right from the left lane across at least one or more lanes of traffic. What is the resulting ticket for that maneuver?

I think in either case you are going to have to do an illegal turn.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #18 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 9:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Why not make a turn on right and then make a u-turn???
John, you're assuming he knew the light was uncooperative before he got to the intersection. Once he was already in the left turn lane, would it be safer to cut across all lanes to make a right turn or to proceed with caution when safe, as he did and as the vehicle code quoted above allows? I understand why the cop pulled him over, but he should have accepted the valid explanation and let him go with a warning at most. Now Mark has to take this to court, taking up the judge's and the cop's valuable time, as well as his own. Not the best outcome for what seems to have been a safe and acceptable maneuver, given the circumstances.

I think I may have to carry a copy of that vehicle code in the bike, just in case.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 49 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I went to Radio Shack, bought 6 square magnets, stacked them together and wire tied them to the frame under the bike.. low.

Bang! works! Cost> $2

For good measure I'm adding another stack this weekend.

Now, for the "loop" not sensing your machine.. that is against the law. I would fight the ticket, get my day in court and make them fix it.

There is a guy here in my town who runs the "signal" department. When I find sensors that fail I call him and he "adjusts"(increases the gain) of the sensor (transmitter) in the traffic computer box. BANG! Light exiting my subdivision now works.

Of course this means showing up with my bike for a "precise" adjustment... =)

Now, with the magnets, I don't have to call him as much...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #20 of 49 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:34 am

you might be interested in this: http://www.yourinjurylawyers.com/lef...ic-sensors.asp

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #21 of 49 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 5:01 am

Yes, it would be safer to cut a cross the lanes than it is to bust a red light. Depending on time of day, lanes of traffic etc............ I would only have to watch two or three lanes of traffic instead of number of cross traffic. Depending on what cycle the light was when you went across. In Florida a red light ticket is a stiffer fine then a moving violation. $185.50 vs. $120.50

I agree I would not have written you that ticket, because it happens to me often.

Couple years ago I wrote a lady a ticket for running a red light. She was past the stop bar and all the sensors. She wait only one cycle and no cars behind. She blew the light, I wrote the ticket, we went to court. She won, if after I testified that she stopped pass the bar etc...........
post #22 of 49 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:49 am

I took some large round magnets off an old parts tray that I had and put them on the bike. I also bought some large bar magnets from my Building supply store and put them on the bike.

Even with six large magnets on the bottom of my bike it does not ALWAYS trip the same light all of the time. I dont think there is a sure cure for triggering the lights.

Rusty Snyder
post #23 of 49 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Tripin man Tripin

What I have done in the past is to turn her off then back on again to trip the light it has work every time that I have started doing it. Something about the magnetic field mumbo jumbo from the turn over will be enough to trip the sensor.

(Can not take credit for this found it on the site sometime ago and it works for me) :bomb:

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #24 of 49 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 1:49 pm

As a mechanical engineer with a pretty extensive electrical background, I got thru to the tech dept of a maker of the traffic sensors & asked them for operational details.

Those that are not video based, operate on a high frequency (10KHz to 80 KHz) carrier signal and the sensor looks for a change in tank frequency due to a change in loop inductance based on Lenz's law. The best sensitivity is when the metal of a rim is placed immediately above one of the loop wires. I. e place your tire on top if the loop cuts if you can see them in the pavement.

Municipalities keep trying to reduce the sensitivities of these things so that trucks etc dont trip them from adjacent lanes.

They also said Federal Law requires they be set sensitive enough to trip for motorcycles, and many places for bicycles.

Forget about magnets. These are high frequency carrier systems.
post #25 of 49 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
Forget about magnets. These are high frequency carrier systems.
A stationary magnet won't do squat, but I've found that a moving B field over the sensor (as when coming to a stop over the sensor) seems to induce a sufficient disturbance to trigger the sensor -- did your contacts have any comments on that facet of the problem?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #26 of 49 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 5:22 pm

"A stationary magnet won't do squat, but I've found that a moving B field over the sensor (as when coming to a stop over the sensor) seems to induce a sufficient disturbance to trigger the sensor -- did your contacts have any comments on that facet of the problem?"

Given the operating principles involved etc, that shouldn't do anything to cause a trip. I was trying to come up with an active (powered) trip enhancer & had to reach the conclusion based on their inputs, that this was a hopeless project. I described what I had in mind & they too had reached the conclusion that it was not feasible without a lot of development.

They look for a very slight change in the inductance of the loop buried in the street. This can only be done with metal, although the metal doesn't have to be ferrous (i. e. iron) to change the inductance. Proximity is most important.

If you want to pursue the technology, there is a good writeup at:

http://www.humantransport.org/bicycl.../detection.htm
post #27 of 49 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Try your local hardware store. I bought a pack of two the same size as the Green light Trigger and paid less than $3.00. Still didn't work but at the very least I wasn't out $14.

Lewis

Lewis

Pasadena, TX

Naturlized Texan after 34 years 'In State'.
BMW 2003LTC
IBA 21743 & 23281
AMA 278337
BMWOA 26977
Corvette National Museum Life Member 941
ARRL Life Member
post #28 of 49 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Low tech trigger

I don't have to deal with these imbedded light triggers much but a trick has worked for me: Put the centerstand down over the trigger. If that doesn't work hold the centerstand down with left foot and drive slowly over the area.
post #29 of 49 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnyder
Even with six large magnets on the bottom of my bike it does not ALWAYS trip the same light all of the time. I dont think there is a sure cure for triggering the lights.
I've got a couple of welders grounding magnets bolted to a homemade bracket under the bike and your right, even that only works some of the time. I just try and stop with the magnets over the wire lines and hope it works. The light at the end of my street doesn't recognize bikes, hell, it takes two or three cars to get it to work. If the light doesn't change and there's no traffic, I make an illegal left turn. If traffic, I turn right and ride till I come to a opening in the median and U turn back.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #30 of 49 Old Aug 19th, 2006, 6:31 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
"Bang! Cop in a cage nailed me for turning left on red."

Yes, Mark, that was a chicken-shit ticket. There are plenty of people out there that don't even attempt to stop--much less wait for the signal.

Ask the court for a trial!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #31 of 49 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 2:03 pm

I guess you get what you deserve...Living out in the country with only 2 state troopers in your county and the local sherif force of 4 cars on duty at a time allows me to blow throw left turn signals all the time....Just be aware of your surroundings...Theres only 4 left turn signals in this county...However I do feel your pain and the Police Officer was doing what he thinks was right..(well let's hope so)...Like the old saying goes "Life's not a bowl of cherries....it's a crock of......You can fill in the last part...When I'm out of the county I will sit threw 2 cycles then I proceed with extreme caution... and of course before I do go I check out my surroundings looking for the man....Hope you fight it...Be Safe

Chuck & Jackie Gordon
2003 Torch Red (Impala Brown)
2002 Black (Crashed)
1981 FLT (County Bike)
Mountain Home, AR
post #32 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: F%*#@!& imbedded street light sensors

In MN it has a code that specifies that a motorcyclist can turn against the red, if it won't pick him up, as long as due caution is taken to ensure nobody is coming.

Why don't all states specify in their code what a motorcyclist should do? Because that would be easy.
post #33 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:38 pm

Quote:
I'm PO'd...

I'd go to court on this one. While there, ask the officer why he didn't come out of his cruiser to assist in traffic control when obviously there was some malfunction of the light at the intersection. After all, he saw you sitting there through two full cycles!

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #34 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 3:31 pm

Quote:
I'm PO'd...

Placing the centerstand on the ground on the sensor works for me...YMMV

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #35 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
I'd go to court on this one. While there, ask the officer why he didn't come out of his cruiser to assist in traffic control when obviously there was some malfunction of the light at the intersection. After all, he saw you sitting there through two full cycles!
Actually, court was rather fun... the judge (appt'd for this duty from the ranks of attorney's for that days traffic session) was a rider also. Turns out he lives about 4 blocks away from that very intersection. Told the cop, sorry, but LT riders don't act like squiddy's and that he's known about the problem at that intersection. Then he made a note to pass along the problem (and his concern) to the city works department...

case closed...

Gawd I love justice!

Uncle Mark

BMWMOA Member #127457

post #36 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 4:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Guys... if your machine won't trigger then report it to the Signal guys. In fact, go there with your TICKET.... or ask for a conference with the JUDGE>....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #37 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 6:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Definitely Fight those Tickets

I am sure that most traffic judges would dismiss the citation assuming:
1. you are prepared with evidence such as the other posts have mentioned;
2. be polite and then be more polite and then be even more polite during the hearing;
3. wear a suit with a tie (don't show up in shorts, sandal and a ty dye tank) top;
4. be well groomed and
5. NEVER and I mean NEVER interrupt either the judge or the officer during the hearing.

Justice is not blind and she does care how you smell so do yourself a favor and other riders by putting your best foot forward.

If for some reason the ticket is upheld then appeal it.

Yes it is a lot of your time, but you will be saving the citation plus the 171% road improvement assesment and insurance rate bumps.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #38 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 6:43 pm

He just did. Glad it came out that way! I had this happen top me yesterday, sat there threw 3 cycles until a car came in back of me and triggered it. Next time will be different.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #39 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 6:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnyder
I took some large round magnets off an old parts tray that I had and put them on the bike. I also bought some large bar magnets from my Building supply store and put them on the bike.

One day, with all those magnets, one of you LT'ers are gonna get stuck to the side of a car at a stoplight!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #40 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 7:06 pm

Magnets from old hard drives work fairly good too.
Not 100% though like was said before.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #41 of 49 Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 8:04 pm
Super Moderator

Guess I would return to the scene of the crime - take a video and see if the conditions can be replicated. Be prepared to show in court and if you able to replicate I would certainly ask that the police officer take the stand and ask why he saw fit not to exercise discretion that he has in such matters!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #42 of 49 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:26 am

I understand that US DOT says that traffic sensors have to detect motorcycles for federal funding. Go to the USDOT with your complaints. I think they are supposed to even detect bicycles.

From the sensor manufacturer, put your wheel rims directly on top of one side of the search coil (if you can see it). The systems are not sensitive to magnetic fields, but are sensitive to the proximity of conductive metal to the coil using the Lenz effect. There may be some value in putting your kickstand down even though it is a very small metal piece, but it is can be very close in some cases.

The sensor maintenance people will otherwise keep turning down the sensitivity so that they don't encounter adjacent lane trips by trucks etc.
post #43 of 49 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 1:19 am

In the area that you live, make written complaints about traffis sensors that don't trip for motorcycles. Public works or DOT is not going to immediately fix it, but it starts to docuement problem intersections. Then when you go to court (if you get a ticket), you can bring your written complaints in and the judge can call the road department and find out complaints have been made.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #44 of 49 Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 4:17 pm

go to court, plead your case to the judge. I have done it twice in two different counties in GA. Both times the judge let me off and made sure to tell the cops, "you all know bikes don't trigger those things, and you wasting my time ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!" and I quote.

got off both of them.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #45 of 49 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 7:15 am

It has been the law in Virginia (where I live) since July 1st, 2011, that if your motorcycle fails to trip a left turn traffic signal, that you may proceed on red using caution... Should be the law in every state!
post #46 of 49 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 7:47 am

Check post #35

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=35

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #47 of 49 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 11:18 am

Garage

Illinois Bill HB-2860 proposes an exception for motorcyclists who have been stuck at a red light for "a reasonable amount of time," encouraging them to look both ways for traffic before treating the red light like a stop sign, and going merrily on their way.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #48 of 49 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 12:31 pm

From an OLD thread off the old site:

Quote:
Almost every state has an exception allowing any motor vehicle to precede with caution after coming to a full stop and waiting for ONE FULL CYCLE of the lights finding triggering of light non operative by your vehicles presents.

In California it's VC 21800(d)1.

I carry a copy of the original post keeping this VC in with my registration papers.
It has in 7 years saved me from a ticket with Mr. Leo on the spot TWICE !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #49 of 49 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
From an OLD thread off the old site:

I carry a copy of the original post keeping this VC in with my registration papers.
It has in 7 years saved me from a ticket with Mr. Leo on the spot TWICE !!
Scott, you missed your calling as a lawyer!

CA VC states as follows (taken from the DMV website):

21800(d)(1); Driver shall stop at intersection with inoperative signals.

You'd have to convince the LEO that the light not changing for you, but changing for cages, counts as "inoperative", and once you've stopped can proceed?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in