Early K model - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 6:08 am Thread Starter

Early K model

I'm still in the thought process of a second bike to mainly be used for errands and the such, something that doesn't take up much room in the trailer, and something that can be used to demonstrate some of the products that we hope to be showcasing next year. As I posted earlier a V Strom with ABS ( due out this fall) could fit the bill very nicely, however I'm pretty much a BMW guy and everytime we go to a BMW rally I'm always impressed with the early K models ( of course I'm impressed with just about anything that's there). A quick glance on eBay showed some nice examples at some pretty good prices. I would have only two "must have's", must have ABS, must be immaculate condition or as close to it as possible. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 8:48 am

I don't think it has ABS, but this bike fits the bill, no?
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

That is a sweet looking bike Joe......and right around the corner from me too!
I'm not looking for an "S" but it could be worth taking a ride to look at. However I doubt that it has ABS since I belive on the earlier models their labeled somewhere on the body work and thus I would not be interested. I posted Mike to see if by some slim chance that it does. A friend of mine might be interested in it though.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 1:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Weren't the early ABS pumps located on the swing arm? Since I don't see them there, I doubt it has ABS. It's a nice bike otherwise.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 1:19 pm

?? I think ABS was started on the 1988 model...............Regards Pete
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Weren't the early ABS pumps located on the swing arm? Since I don't see them there, I doubt it has ABS.
That's why I stated that I didn't think it had ABS.
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Last summer I started looking for a second bike to run errands. My truck is a 1-ton diesel and my primary bike is a tourer, so I searched for the best mix of economy and function and settled on an '85 K100RT that fit me perfectly! This is my first BMW and I am so impressed, that I am currently looking into adding a newer beemer to my stable (LT or a CLC). My old tourer sits idle in my shop with the battery tender, and the only time my truck leaves the garage is when I have to tow something. Otherwise, it's "beemer time!"

BTW, my K-bike doesn't have ABS, but I wasn't used to ABS on my other bike, so it wasn't an issue for me.
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
?? I think ABS was started on the 1988 model...............Regards Pete
That is correct I had 2 K100LT's of that vintage and they had ABS.
Only thing about the K75, don't expect to get the 55mpg if you only do short trips. The bike has to warm up, other wise you'll be looking at 35-40 mpg.
(It was driving me nuts how I could use more gas on a trip 15 miles each way, than to go 40 miles one way)
Rock
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 6:08 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the info, I really know very little on the early Beemers, K or R's. I really liked the looks and the condition of the K75S that's for sale in the classified ( my buddy liked the look too and is very interested in it, I hope Mike and him hook up), it's in the condition that I would be interested in but since it looks like it doesn't have ABS I'd just wouldn't be interested.
I don't "depend" on ABS, it's just saved this butt twice over the past year. Once last year when a bicyclist made an unexpected left hand turn from the right hand shoulder directly in front of me and this year with the ground hog. So it's a must have on all my future bikes old or new.
Boyd, I too have parked my E-350 van and use my Lt for just about everything.
Rock, somewhere around 40 mpg isn't too bad around town, even the Lt drops into the high 40's when I,m just doing errands. Considering the E-350 gets around 9 mpg anything close to 40 is heaven to me.
I'll be at the Four Winds rally this weekend so I'll be looking an educating myself more on these earlier bikes
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
... don't expect to get the 55mpg if you only do short trips. The bike has to warm up, other wise you'll be looking at 35-40 mpg.
Rock
I get 40-42 mpg on the K100, mostly short trips, and ride 25-40 miles per day. The K75 might get better.
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:14 am

K75's

I had a 75RT for just over 3 years and would seriously consider getting another one. Sweet little triple with balancer shaft is reckoned to be smoother than the 4cyl models. Shares some problems with the K1200LT like main rear seals but it is not a hydraulic clutch. Plenty of resiurces on the web and if they are to be believed early models had an inbuilt form of ABS: the brakes were strong enough to stop the bike well but were not strong enough to lock the wheels.

Pity I am on the wrong side of the pond;-(

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:38 pm

K75

Thanks for the nice words about my K75 guys.

Yes - it's in great shape, mechanically and physically - a real looker!

No, it doesn't have ABS - but I've always been fortunate enough not to need it - on any of my bikes...although I would have to credit the MSF and their course on riding more than my 'skill'

Good luck finding a bike you like Nick!

And for those interested, right now the bike is still on the blocks, but there's a lot of interest, so......
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 6:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbcpa
I get 40-42 mpg on the K100, mostly short trips, and ride 25-40 miles per day. The K75 might get better.
At 25-40 your warmed up, I go 5 miles to the state park where I park it and hike, come back 5 park it. Ride to the store, post office and bank (I do all those in a loop) little over 2 miles round trip. When I go to the gym (not during summer, I hike and swim at the park)10 miles.
All those short trips kill the mpg because the bike is to cold, but it is much better on my K75 than on the LT.
All said it could be worse, I could be riding in a cage.
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in