Accidentally Discovered US 421 in TN - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Smile Accidentally Discovered US 421 in TN

I sold my Honda ('97 750 Nighthawk) last week and agreed to deliver it to Boone, NC from Huntington, WV (one last ride...). The Mapquest route was very straightforward, so I "memorized" it and headed out Saturday morning for the 300 mile journey. Most of the trip followed I-77 South from Beckley, WV. At one point, I-77 and I-81 cross and overlap for about 9 miles. If you want to stay on I-77, you take Exit 81 when they split. What a coincidence. My mind remembered the 81 part, so I exited earlier to follow I-81 South. Disaster, right?

Well... From I-77 I was supposed to exit at 73B to take US 421 North to Boone. Since I hadn't realized I was on the wrong interstate I was happily cruising along looking for exit 73B. I crossed through Virginia to Bristol, vaguely wondering exactly how I would end up in NC knowing that 421N angled west from the interstate, but... The mile markers are counting down toward 1 as I get to Bristol and pass into TN. What is the first exit coming up? 74A-B. Cool. And there is a sign for 421 South. Next up should be exit 73 and 421 North, I figure. Nope. No exit 73. I stop at the next exit for fuel (and to turn around). I just couldn't figure how I missed the exit though, so I pull out the map. CRAP! WRONG ROAD!!

After a couple of seconds of "that feeling", I remembered that I HAD seen a sign for 421S back at exit 74. Checked the map again. Boone, NC was on 421 exactly between I-77 and I-81. Whew. How lucky.

After navigating through a couple of 421 detours in Bristol, off I went on 421S - 52 miles to Boone, NC. Keep in mind I knew nothing about that stretch of road, so (assuming you DO know) imagine my surprise when that first set of twisties came along. And then the next... and the next. What an AWESOME ride! Bikers were everwhere (and LEO's as well). And when I got to the bottom and the Shady Valley Country Store, there must have been a couple hundred bikes parked there.

I was too near the end of my trip (and still had to get home) to want to stop, but I filed that away for some internet research and perhaps a return trip on the LT. The Blueridge Parkway is in that area, and the famous Dragon at Deal's Gap. I'd love to make it back there when the foliage is turning. The drive goes through Cherokee National Park - the scenery is stellar.

That will probably be the luckiest wrong turn I'll ever take. I'm just glad I wasn't looking for exit 19 or something... I might have ended up in Knoxville before I decided something wasn't right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:48 am

You picked the right weekend to discover Shady Valley.

Rally in the Valley

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:37 pm

Shhhhh don;t tell everyone, they'll ALL want to move here!!!!

I'm about 1.5 hrs from boone (went to college there) but all the mountain roads and highways are similar to that.

Rando

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 6:21 pm

At least you didn't end up in Florida.
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 8:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Shhhhh don;t tell everyone, they'll ALL want to move here!!!!

I'm about 1.5 hrs from boone (went to college there) but all the mountain roads and highways are similar to that.

Rando
Man, everybody I meet down here went to Apalacha'.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 8:25 pm

One of the best roads anywhere. One of my top 5 roads, great twists and turns not a lot of traffic, usually. I heard someone was trying to turn it into another Deal's Gap. Selling shirts,etc. I beleive they call it the Snake now.
Oh well.

Paul Francis
Taswell Indiana

2005 R1200GS
2008 Can Am Spyder
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Man, everybody I meet down here went to Apalacha'.

Uh - yeah!!! Best darn school to drink a beer in eastern part of the state. And get an education (sorta) to boot!!!!

And i still get asked, "did you know....._____(insert name here)? Lessee, there were 10,000 students there and maybe 500 in my dept (english), so chances are....NO....

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

If in that area, wach out for other tourists. They are more random than deer. Never trust or expect a signal; In general, be on the defensive at all times in traffic. It's a crazy place up there.

Rando
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:38 am
fas

Cool Boone & US 421

Great wrong road "decision." Some days it is just perfect to make a GOOD mistake and learn. Both of my sons are ASU grads. I melted lots of M3 rubber visiting them there when I lived in Charlotte.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Actually, you can ride 421 clear up through Kentucky (goes through Lexington and Georgetown) clear up into Indiana. It is a great road all the way until you cross the Ohio River into Madison Indiana. Then you might as well head back, cause it gets straight and flat. jrlakin (West Lafayette, In)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in