insurance recomendation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 8th, 2015, 11:56 am Thread Starter

insurance recomendation

So I am about to pull the trigger ona 2015 S1000r to replace my 2011 Ducati 1100evo sp for my sport days. (also have a k1200lt, r1200gs and a Husqvarna TE310)

My insurance agent said my premium for full coverage would be $3600 per year. After I quit laughing I decided to shop around. Any place I should start?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 8th, 2015, 12:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: insurance recomendation

I like Progressive. If you are ex-military give USAA a call.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old May 8th, 2015, 12:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

+1 on the USAA recommendation, if possible.
It's my understanding that Progressive actually underwrites the M/C policies for USAA, so it may be of benefit to go directly to them first. In addition there was a time several years ago, when USAA was not taking on any new M/C policies, I don't know if that is still the case.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #4 of 13 Old May 8th, 2015, 1:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It maybe the reviews such as this that are affecting the new quote . . .

Review: BMW's intimidating S1000R streetfighter
"BMW's latest, greatest super-naked motorcycle, its bad-tempered hair-trigger throttle"

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 13 Old May 8th, 2015, 1:54 pm

Geico
Riders
Foremost

Have used all three, currently Geico is best rate with a sport bike and K1200lt. Around 800.00 full coverage total , 250 deductible and high limits for both I remember correctly.

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #6 of 13 Old May 8th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbpip View Post
Geico
Riders
Foremost

Have used all three, currently Geico is best rate with a sport bike and K1200lt. Around 800.00 full coverage total , 250 deductible and high limits for both I remember correctly.
+1. Had Foremost for a few years, and they had the best price (for me). They raised rates, so I shopped and found GEICO has the best price (for the time being... ).

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 13 Old May 8th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Paying $280.00 with Progressive,

$100 DED, Comp

$1,000 DED Collision

250/500 Liability

$5K in Accessory coverage

2009 RT

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #8 of 13 Old May 8th, 2015, 3:57 pm

I have been a USAA member for around forty years. Membership in USAA is restricted. In general, you must be in the armed services or in the family of someone who qualifies.

Their motorcycle coverage is good, but probably not the lowest price you will find. USAA motorcycle coverage varies, depending on which state you live in. Sometimes it is provided by USAA, sometimes it is provided by Progressive, and sometimes it is not available. If you move from one state to another, then your USAA motorcycle coverage may change or may not be available. USAA also offers automobile, homeowners, and other financial services - I don't think that they vary between states, just the motorcycle coverage. I do not know why.

USAA service, support, and claims processing used to be unrivaled. Times are changing. They seem more focused on growth at the expense of some of their core values. I see recent changes that I do not like, including a lot of advertising and opening up membership to a broader group of people, which probably affects the overall loss ratio, etc. To me, it smells like the personal ambitions of the CEO and top executives for power and money are overriding the best interests of the company as a whole and its membership. I have seen it before in so many other similar co-op type companies, such as my old credit union, which grew into a monster in all the bad definitions of the word.
post #9 of 13 Old May 8th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Contact Sherri Goode at 866-387-6862 or email [email protected]

Sherri took care of me when I bought my Diavel and I was threatened with high premiums, even though she had nothing to do with the purchase of the bike. A great agent.

All twins:
2017 R1200GS low
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2012 Ducati Diavel
2014 R1200RT (gone)
2008 R1200GS (gone)
2007 SV650 Naked (gone)
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
2006 Harley Ultra (gone)
1992 Harley Electra Glide Classic (gone)

post #10 of 13 Old May 9th, 2015, 6:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider View Post
I have been a USAA member for around forty years. Membership in USAA is restricted. In general, you must be in the armed services or in the family of someone who qualifies.

USAA service, support, and claims processing used to be unrivaled. Times are changing. They seem more focused on growth at the expense of some of their core values. I see recent changes that I do not like, including a lot of advertising and opening up membership to a broader group of people, which probably affects the overall loss ratio, etc. To me, it smells like the personal ambitions of the CEO and top executives for power and money are overriding the best interests of the company as a whole and its membership. I have seen it before in so many other similar co-op type companies, such as my old credit union, which grew into a monster in all the bad definitions of the word.
That hasn't been my experience with USAA. I've also been a member since 1971 when I was active duty. To my knowledge you still must be military connected, even if retired, or related to a member who is active duty or retired. Yes, grandchildren do qualify. Over the years I periodically compare premiums to those of other companies, and USAA is always lower for comparable coverage. I have property, auto, and motorcycle coverage. Since 1971 I have had two auto claims, both deer strikes. My wife has had one claim. I have had one property damage claim related to Hurricane Sandy. All claims were handled promptly and appropriately. My wife's premium increased for several years and after being claim and point free for three years, her premium returned to claims free levels.
I still think they are a quality company for insurance, as is Progressive for MC coverage.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #11 of 13 Old May 9th, 2015, 6:45 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I've had Dairyland on my last 2 BMWs.

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 13 Old May 9th, 2015, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
... Over the years I periodically compare premiums to those of other companies, and USAA is always lower for comparable coverage. I have property, auto, and motorcycle coverage. ...
Agreed on everything other than motorcycle coverage. I have the same policies (auto, motorcycle, homeowner). For me, the cost for USAA insurance is lower than any other agency. The one exception has been motorcycle coverage, which costs more than comparable policies from other companies. Perhaps it has something to do with living in California. Still, I have always stayed with USAA for everything because of their superior service. I stand by my comments regarding the recent evolution of USAA into something larger and less customer-oriented.
post #13 of 13 Old May 11th, 2015, 10:38 am
Old Dawg

We have Geico and Jessica pays $571 per year for her S1000RR. I feel that is a very good price.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in